IGNORED

Sam Baldock

Jon atyeo is my dad

Just watched his interview. He looks a broken man since his last interview. Before he was a cheerful confident man, now he looked like a boy who just had a stern telling off from his mother.

Also revealed all the players were allowed to speak openly about formations and what's gone wrong during the campaign so far. Also had a little swipe at some who aren't happy but decided to sit back and not voice there opinions when asked.

Just my observation for those with no access to player

I wouldn't say it's his form, it's the way we play football and the players around him don't suit his style of play. He is always on the last mans shoulder, running down the channels. Except when he plays with our current shite he has long balls to him all game long from fontaine, foster and all our other poo players.

We're ruining his career.

Having just watched the interview it is plain to see things are rotten in the camp at the moment. Baldock looks absolutely devastated and it's hardly surprising. Mcinnes needs to sort out quickly who has the fight and determination to succeed and stick with them as it's fairly obvious the players are now divided, with such a pathetic midfield no wonder he's a broken man...a workman without tools so to speak

I like baldocks interviews, he seems to be a bit more open then other boring footballers who are interviewed, he basically complained a few months back that he's getting sick of the long balls. In this interview he#s clearly pissed off with not playing, and playing up top by himself. He needs a figure like Davies by him to take all the hits

At around the 4th minute I actually though the poor lad was going to break down, could hear his voice cracking slightly. Hope he gets a sustained run in the team soon, he's too good to be sat on the sidelines all the time, serious waste of talent imo hope this doesn't turn into another Pitman situation.

At around the 4th minute I actually though the poor lad was going to break down, could hear his voice cracking slightly. Hope he gets a sustained run in the team soon, he's too good to be sat on the sidelines all the time, serious waste of talent imo hope this doesn't turn into another Pitman situation.

it's destined to go that way, when Danns returns to Molseter and Cole 'Safe' Skuse and 'Marvellous' Marvin Elliott resume their devastating midfield partnership.

it's destined to go that way, when Danns returns to Molseter and Cole 'Safe' Skuse and 'Marvellous' Marvin Elliott resume their devastating midfield partnership.

You keep mentioning the Skuse/Elliott partnership as being the source of many of our problems. Having had a quick look at the match reports, they only appear to have played one full match together in the League this season - at Huddersfield, when Pearson was the third central midfielder. Apart from that, they started at Peterborough and Birmingham but only played about half the game together and there have been a few other games where Marv came on as a sub.

Our midfield has been part of the problem this season, but it's a bit of a stretch to blame that particular partnership when they've only started three games together, one of which we won.

I can't be bothered to look back over last season, but I suspect that with Marv's injury and the games Skuse played at right back there weren't that many games in which they were the central midfild two.

You keep mentioning the Skuse/Elliott partnership as being the source of many of our problems. Having had a quick look at the match reports, they only appear to have played one full match together in the League this season - at Huddersfield, when Pearson was the third central midfielder. Apart from that, they started at Peterborough and Birmingham but only played about half the game together and there have been a few other games where Marv came on as a sub.

Our midfield has been part of the problem this season, but it's a bit of a stretch to blame that particular partnership when they've only started three games together, one of which we won.

I can't be bothered to look back over last season, but I suspect that with Marv's injury and the games Skuse played at right back there weren't that many games in which they were the central midfild two.

They are crap in spite of eachother not because of.

So far this season they have started or were picked for 3 games and also appeared together for a complete half of game, one or either of them has appeared in pretty much every game this season, there is no doubt that when they are both fit DMC will pick them to play together, in fact for the Huddersfield game it would appear in desperation DMC rushed Elliott back when he wasn't fully fit, they rarely work and have rarely worked in nearly 5 years. Pearson and Killkenny are just as bad, the whole of our midfield is unfit for purpose and has been for 5 years.

in the past 4.5 seasons we have won a paltry 63 games out of 204, that equates to less than 15 per season or less than a third of our games, mind you if you believe they are a good combination that's fine you'll be in good company, unfortunately the facts don't bear that out and the sad fact is they will be DMC's first choice as soon as Skuse is fit enough.

sounds like he doesnt understand/doesnt get along with McInnes at all and isnt happy with it

Rightly so

McInnes has just said that Baldock works best in a 4-4-2, he's one of our biggest names if not THE biggest name in our squad, and our only player bar Albert with real pace. IMO he needs to start a lot more preferably up top with Davies - not a bad front 2 to say the least.

What Baldock needs is midfielders in deep positions threading that through ball to him, no one in our midfield except danns can do that.

Indeed. No coincidence, IMO ,was that Maynard's one great season with us happened when we had Paul Hartley in midfield. Am sure that with similar service Baldock could be just as good. Ain't happening though is it?

So far this season they have started or were picked for 3 games and also appeared together for a complete half of game, one or either of them has appeared in pretty much every game this season, there is no doubt that when they are both fit DMC will pick them to play together, in fact for the Huddersfield game it would appear in desperation DMC rushed Elliott back when he wasn't fully fit, they rarely work and have rarely worked in nearly 5 years. Pearson and Killkenny are just as bad, the whole of our midfield is unfit for purpose and has been for 5 years.

in the past 4.5 seasons we have won a paltry 63 games out of 204, that equates to less than 15 per season or less than a third of our games, mind you if you believe they are a good combination that's fine you'll be in good company, unfortunately the facts don't bear that out and the sad fact is they will be DMC's first choice as soon as Skuse is fit enough.

I don't think they're a good partnership, and I think they both have their limitations. I happen to think Skuse can be a very useful player alongside the right player (Danns might just be the man, but we may never get the chance to find out). I don't think we'll ever again see the superb Marv of the playoff season.

if you'd said they were separately bad players, I wouldn't have agreed with you, but could understand the argument. But you keep arguing that it's their playing together that causes our problems: that's what isn't borne out by the facts.

As it happens I don't think Del will choose them together unless he really has to, and even then, it will be as part of a central midfield 3 (as at Huddersfield) rather than as a two. I think he realises what a big part our midfield problems has been for a while (no creativity, no midfielder consistently getting around or beyond the forwards) and has tried various things to resolve it - Pearson pushing on, Skuse pushing on, bringing Danns on board. Skuse isn't the answer to that one, and neither is Marv. I just hope that Del manages to find the answer to that (and our central defensive problems) before too long.

I don't think they're a good partnership, and I think they both have their limitations. I happen to think Skuse can be a very useful player alongside the right player (Danns might just be the man, but we may never get the chance to find out). I don't think we'll ever again see the superb Marv of the playoff season.

if you'd said they were separately bad players, I wouldn't have agreed with you, but could understand the argument. But you keep arguing that it's their playing together that causes our problems: that's what isn't borne out by the facts.

As it happens I don't think Del will choose them together unless he really has to, and even then, it will be as part of a central midfield 3 (as at Huddersfield) rather than as a two. I think he realises what a big part our midfield problems has been for a while (no creativity, no midfielder consistently getting around or beyond the forwards) and has tried various things to resolve it - Pearson pushing on, Skuse pushing on, bringing Danns on board. Skuse isn't the answer to that one, and neither is Marv. I just hope that Del manages to find the answer to that (and our central defensive problems) before too long.

I have to say I think you are wrong there is one reason and one reason only why DMC hasn't selected them as often as he would like and that is because one or the other of them has been injured during his time with us. But the plain facts are the minute they are both fit or even close to fitness he invariably selects them to play together in centre midfield.

The sad fact is one can't pass and the other cannot pull out an attacking pass, both can tackle but only in the opponents half, in our own half they back off and back off until one of the back 4 has to end up making a rash challenge in a dangerous position, neither protect the back 4 and constantly give the ball away when we are coming out of defence, a reason why the back 4 start lumping the ball, neither talk to each other to pass on runners or rarely even pick up runners, both seem blissfully unaware of danger around them, the most worrying thing is most vulnerable teams are vulnerable down the flanks, with us teams just play right through the middle quite often unmolested.

I have to say I think you are wrong there is one reason and one reason only why DMC hasn't selected them as often as he would like and that is because one or the other of them has been injured during his time with us. But the plain facts are the minute they are both fit or even close to fitness he invariably selects them to play together in centre midfield.

The sad fact is one can't pass and the other cannot pull out an attacking pass, both can tackle but only in the opponents half, in our own half they back off and back off until one of the back 4 has to end up making a rash challenge in a dangerous position, neither protect the back 4 and constantly give the ball away when we are coming out of defence, a reason why the back 4 start lumping the ball, neither talk to each other to pass on runners or rarely even pick up runners, both seem blissfully unaware of danger around them, the most worrying thing is most vulnerable teams are vulnerable down the flanks, with us teams just play right through the middle quite often unmolested.

Agree with some of that. I think Skuse does more good defensive work than he's given credit for, but he's certainly had some bad moments this season. Apart from Hull, though, I haven't seen him have many bad games.

I do think you're too generous to the defence. Poor midfield cover may be part of the reason teams run at our central defence, but it doesn't explain why (for example) Fontaine also waves players past him, regularly loses his man and simply misses the ball.

Agree with some of that. I think Skuse does more good defensive work than he's given credit for, but he's certainly had some bad moments this season. Apart from Hull, though, I haven't seen him have many bad games.

I do think you're too generous to the defence. Poor midfield cover may be part of the reason teams run at our central defence, but it doesn't explain why (for example) Fontaine also waves players past him, regularly loses his man and simply misses the ball.

For me the problem is this, Heaton used to command his 6 yard box and now apparently recently he hasn't, I think because he has lost faith in his defence. The defence in most games is under almost constant pressure and that can only be for 2 reasons, the striker/strikers are not holding the ball up or the midfield are not doing their job by protecting the defence or not backing up the strikers, it appears to be a mixture of both, firstly the quality of ball to the strikers is not the best, the midfield is slow to back them up and or take up good positions, the midfield is certainly not properly protecting the defence. The defence try to play out of defence to one of our midfielders but they too often give the ball away or just keep hitting sideways balls and ball ends up coming straight back at our defence and eventually usually by the hour mark the defence start lumping aimless balls because they have lost faith in the midfield, does any of this sound familiar? it is all a knock on effect, I have never seen a team concede and be so vulnerable down the middle. We do not attempt enough tackles in the right areas, we back off and back off and are never what you would call tight to opponents. Sort out the midfield and in the main the defence will be adequate IMO.

Virtually every game this season excluding Palace, Cardiff and Middlesboro but including the Peterboro the words 'we are/were being battered' are very high on peoples descriptions of games and the pressure will eventually tell on an overworked defence.

For me the problem is this, Heaton used to command his 6 yard box and now apparently recently he hasn't, I think because he has lost faith in his defence. The defence in most games is under almost constant pressure and that can only be for 2 reasons, the striker/strikers are not holding the ball up or the midfield are not doing their job by protecting the defence or not backing up the strikers, it appears to be a mixture of both, firstly the quality of ball to the strikers is not the best, the midfield is slow to back them up and or take up good positions, the midfield is certainly not properly protecting the defence. The defence try to play out of defence to one of our midfielders but they too often give the ball away or just keep hitting sideways balls and ball ends up coming straight back at our defence and eventually usually by the hour mark the defence start lumping aimless balls because they have lost faith in the midfield, does any of this sound familiar? it is all a knock on effect, I have never seen a team concede and be so vulnerable down the middle. We do not attempt enough tackles in the right areas, we back off and back off and are never what you would call tight to opponents. Sort out the midfield and in the main the defence will be adequate IMO.

Virtually every game this season excluding Palace, Cardiff and Middlesboro but including the Peterboro the words 'we are/were being battered' are very high on peoples descriptions of games and the pressure will eventually tell on an overworked defence.

We definitely have the problems you describe about offering the defence an outlet - and have had that problem since the GJ days (LJ taking the ball off the left back and passing it straight back to him doesn't count as an outlet). And it has often been too easy for the opposition to get through the middle of the park this season.

But the backing off by the defence and the inability to mark are not just down to being under pressure: they're down to bad defending too. So I'm not convinced that the defence would be OK if the midfield was sorted.

Signing off now. Nice to have a civilised disagreement!

Archived