IGNORED

Am I The Only Gas Friendly City Fan?

tom from sunny side

Am loving seeing them at the bottom of division 4 but part of me misses the derbys. The build up, atmosphere and feeling when we score and win is unlike any other game. That's why, for me, games against Cardiff, Swindon can never replicate a real derby. My lads 11 and never seen one. He's desperate to experience a bristol derby but that looks a long way off yet.

Exactly. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference to me whether they're in League Two or the BSP (though I think it'd be bad for Bristol to lose a second league football team) but I'd absolutely love to get back to the days when they were neck and neck competing with us. The rivalry's utterly meaningless now - I don't feel happy that they're doing badly 'cos they're so far below us they barely register as rivals.

I grew up at a time when the rivalry was utterly intense 'cos either of us could beat the other and either of us could finish higher in the league than the other and it was brilliant. I'd way prefer a meaningful rivalry and regular derbies than the hollow schadenfreude of them getting relegated.

I hate the middle ground. Either they go bust and leave only us to prosper from a less competitive fan base, or they get their act together and join us up here so we can have some mental ass derbies. Both of us out the LC at the first hurdle, and them out the FA cup at the first diminishes any chance of a derby again. There is nothing quite like the bragging rights after an actual win. (As I found out when the sags beat us, not old enough to remember a proper win)

well they're the same ones as you....do you get my drift buddy?

My wish is to see a successful Bristol City competing at the highest level.

My point was that I know Gasheads who's main footballing wish is to see Bristol City go out of business.

I would feel no sympathy for them if they got relegated.

Sorry if this has been said recently by someone else but I would be sad if Rovers went down. I love Bristol and would much prefer the city to have two teams in the League than not. I do sometimes get the feeling on here that people want to hate the gas more than they actually do. What do you think?

Don't worry, Robbored ******* loves them too

Sorry if this has been said recently by someone else but I would be sad if Rovers went down. I love Bristol and would much prefer the city to have two teams in the League than not. I do sometimes get the feeling on here that people want to hate the gas more than they actually do. What do you think?

wtf you gas m78???? I smell gas!!!!! You a gased!!!!11 I ate the gas!!!

But seriously, agree entirely. I don't want the gas to go down, they may be our rivals but they are not our enemies. It's fun poking fun at them when we beat them 3 - 0, but wishing them out of the league is something else entirely, it's just nasty.

I like the banter with Rovers fans as long as it goes with a bit of humour and not taken too seriously. I find those that genuinely hate the likes of Ian Holloway and other figures associated with Rovers a bit dusturbing. There's no denying though that if Rovers fail it ultimately means bigger gates, more success and an already massive catchment area to ourselves but I don't think that will ever happen as Rovers have enough support to hover around league 1 level even if they dip down to the Conference.

wtf you gas m78???? I smell gas!!!!! You a gased!!!!11 I ate the gas!!!

But seriously, agree entirely. I don't want the gas to go down, they may be our rivals but they are not our enemies. It's fun poking fun at them when we beat them 3 - 0, but wishing them out of the league is something else entirely, it's just nasty.

Oh how bad of us, it's not like they wanted us to go out of existance in 82 and still mock us to this day

Let them rot in the conference where they belong.

rovers and city is culture, families brought up loving their team...all I'm saying is that it would be sad if gas went down

Sorry Tom but, I have never known a city fan start a sentence mentioning both teams, while not putting city first, unless they were mentioning a fixture where Rovers were at home.

I even go spare when the local media refer to a derby at AG, as Rovers vs City.

In relation to the demise of that other club, not worried in the slightest. Although some might enjoy the rivalry, I hate it,

I hated the build up to those matches and was sick of always being seen as Bristol City vs THE ROVERS.

There was always a tendency to big up their meagre achievements by the local media, while at the same time knocking our meagre success. I guess they were always considered as the underdogs. Let's go and see how "THE ROVERS" are doing, "let's go over to the MEM". I'm sorry but the family club (ha ha, family from hell) can go to the wall for all I care, though I will feel sorry for some of their more decent supporters.

Remember, this is the club that tried to buy AG on the quiet and really put us out of business.

The club that refuse to sell their players to BCFC

The only sporting club in the whole of the region that did not support Bristols world cup bid.

The club that demanded our city council found them a site for a ground.

The club that blamed the council for not helping them in any planning applications, even though they never made any.

The club that leaft Bristol for ten years, paid their rates to Bath and then set up a political party to oppose the city council at the local elections.

The club that stole the memorial ground from the Rugby club.

And the club that plans to move out of Bristol again, while still using Bristol in their title.

No I wouldn't miss them.

Sorry Tom but, I have never known a city fan start a sentence mentioning both teams, while not putting city first, unless they were mentioning a fixture where Rovers were at home.

In relation to the demise of that other club, not worried in the slightest. Although some might enjoy the rivalry, I hate it,

I hated the build up to those matches and was sick of always being seen as Bristol City vs THE ROVERS.

There was always a tendency to big up their meagre achievements by the local media, while at the same time knocking our meagre success. I guess they were always considered as the underdogs. Let's go and see how "THE ROVERS" are doing, "let's go over to the MEM". I'm sorry but the family club (ha ha, family from hell) can go to the wall for all I care, though I will feel sorry for some of their more decent supporters.

Remember, this is the club that tried to buy AG on the quiet and really put us out of business.

The only sporting club in the whole of the region that did not support Bristols world cup bid.

The club that blamed the council for not helping them in any planning applications, even though they never made any.

The club that leaft Bristol for ten years, paid their rates to Bath and then set up a political party to oppose the city council at the local elections.

And the club that plans to move out of Bristol again, while still using Bristol in their title.

No I wouldn't miss them.

Excellent post!

They're not a rival, not at all. They're not good enough. I prefer a tasty game with Cardiff.

Couldn't care less about Gas.

For me, a match against Cardiff isn't bad, but has nothing on a Bristol derby. How many on here have never been to a proper one? Not a mickey mouse cup thing or a friendly, but a league match that really counts for something. The tension used to be unbearable.

For me, a match against Cardiff isn't bad, but has nothing on a Bristol derby. How many on here have never been to a proper one? Not a mickey mouse cup thing or a friendly, but a league match that really counts for something. The tension used to be unbearable.

Those football league Bristol derbies used to be about bragging rights in pubs and work places for months afterwards. I suppose we can still brag to the Gas about beating Sheffield Wednesday away in the Chamionship - and that's a jolly decent brag to put any Gashead down !!!!!!

even the comments here make me think what I wrote, that many people (and I mean Gas aswell) really want to hate eachother more than they actually do......it's not like man u and liverpool or Newcastle Sunderland is it?

It was when we had regular derbies.

In some ways it would be good if both teams were in the Championship and we had the derby games back.

But.... I'm more than happy for them to get relegated out if the league, how funny will that be ;)

To true, great times, those games meant so much,I always felt emotionally drained after them.

You are just a bunch of w-nkers who only exist because of the Ashton Eight and now the funds of one man and loads of you are not even grateful to him . Your time will come and in the not too distance future when he pulls the plug..and more importantly the money then we will see who is laughing. At least we own our ground which is something you will not do if you get your new Stadium. Lansdown Holdings FC 2014.

You are just a bunch of w-nkers who only exist because of the Ashton Eight and now the funds of one man and loads of you are not even grateful to him . Your time will come and in the not too distance future when he pulls the plug..and more importantly the money then we will see who is laughing. At least we own our ground which is something you will not do if you get your new Stadium. Lansdown Holdings FC 2014.

Someone's had a good day. Team only lost by 1 today. Well done. Onwards and upwards, in Mcgee we trust. Goodnight Irene

Edit: And your one of the friendly ones. Cricky, I feel for your players and staff

That's not very friendly gas, keep on dreaming and keep the nails on your extra fingers and toes well trimmed.

PS:- you won't be needing your new ground in the conference.

Quite right, I couldn't stand the build up or the sheyte after (on occasions).

Fortunately, I only have one Gashead as a friend, I use the term very loosely as he only ever phoned me or wanted to talk to me when they did better than us, or heaven forbid actually beat us, which happened a bit in the eighties. We haven't spoken for about twelve years now.

Don't forget, we have held our registration with the football league since 1901, They didn't join the league until twenty years later.

Our registration as a leaague club and F A member has never lapsed, so forget all that seet they spout about 1982. We are the oldest more successful league club of Bristol.

I know plenty of Gasheads who get really excited when our annual losses are announced, "you're ****ed when Lansdown goes!" they say...."a new era is coming" blah blah

You are just a bunch of w-nkers who only exist because of the Ashton Eight and now the funds of one man and loads of you are not even grateful to him . Your time will come and in the not too distance future when he pulls the plug..and more importantly the money then we will see who is laughing.

Thanks for taking the time to prove my point Friendlyass.

No I wouldn't miss them.

It's not even the gap heads that i despise (well some of them ). As you say, it's the sycophantic press! Any excuse to big them up, or do us down! Example this week, that idiot Rosenior said "They MIGHT find themselves in a relegation fight if the're not careful" !WTF, but WE are as good as down !

Sorry I would laugh my cock off if they did go down !

The Memorial ground rightfully belongs to the Bristol Rugby Club, the Gas are squatters there.

I like the banter with Rovers fans as long as it goes with a bit of humour and not taken too seriously. I find those that genuinely hate the likes of Ian Holloway and other figures associated with Rovers a bit dusturbing.

It depends if you were watching the City Rovers games when the likes of Hollowhead was playing.

If you did , then you "should"understand the hatred, if you didn't, you will never understand it.

These games were the most intense,hate filled games I've ever seen in my life.

Hollowhead and co contributed to a lot of the hate,

Archived