IGNORED

Am I The Only Gas Friendly City Fan?

tom from sunny side

Historical information about Warmley FC The Warmley Football Club was founded in 1882 and is recorded as taking part in the very first organised match in the Bristol region against St. George. The following year three more clubs joined the League, Wotton-under-Edge, Clifton and the Black Arabs. In 1886 the Gloucestershire Football Association was founded. The first four clubs being Clifton, St. George, Warmley and Eastville Rovers. The last club was originally known as the Black Arabs who then changed their name again to Bristol Rovers. (Bristol City Football Club had yet to be formed.) Warmley, who played in white shirts and blue shorts, are still, even one hundred years later, remembered with some pride in the East Bristol region and quite rightly so. In the season of 1897/8 they actually won the Southern League title against some remarkable opposition. Until this time their home ground was behind the Tennis Court Inn at the bottom of Warmley Hill but with their new found fame they moved to the Chequers ground behind the public house in Ingleside Road. This move saw a drastic change of fortune for Warmley and that season they incurred debts of £900 and were losing £22 each playing week. Any hope of saving Warmley F.C. vanished following an F.A. meeting at the Royal Hotel, Bristol, banning the club from using its own ground for four weeks due to an incident against Millwall on 7th January 1899. The last match of this great side was on 21st January that year when the club was disbanded. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A fixture list exists of their final season 1898/99, which includes: Tottenham Hotspurs Home Lost 5-1; Oxford Cyguets Away Won 2-9; F.A.C., 1st qualifying round Swindon Town Home Won 1-0; F.A.C., 3rd qualifying round Bristol City Away Lost 4-2 (5,000 crowd); Southampton Home Won 1-0; Millwall Home Athletic Away Lost 1-0; Reading Away Draw 1-1 (9,000 crowd). This should have been Warmleys Home match but they accepted payment to change venue. Brighton United Away Lost 3-2 (3,000 crowd).

I guess I would have supported Warmley as I can see the top of the Tenniscourt from the front of my house. When I pass that field behind the pub, I often wonder what it was like when Spurs played there in a competitive match all those years ago.

From the back of my house I can see where Rovers wanted to build a new stadium at Mangotsfield, thankfully thats still nice and green. That said, we all know why they're called the Gas and the Mangotsfield stadium would have been next to the tip!

I guess I would have supported Warmley as I can see the top of the Tenniscourt from the front of my house. When I pass that field behind the pub, I often wonder what it was like when Spurs played there in a competitive match all those years ago.

From the back of my house I can see where Rovers wanted to build a new stadium at Mangotsfield, thankfully thats still nice and green. That said, we all know why they're called the Gas and the Mangotsfield stadium would have been next to the tip!

"Tippers" Haha, what might have been!

I don't live close enough to any gas to have the banter.... One member of the family is (but we don't speak to him much.....coincidence.... maybe), but having been brought up the right way by my dad, I can safely say I would laugh a lot if they went down.

I wouldn't however want them to go out of business. It would be nice to have them in the same division for an easy 6 points each year :laughcont:

The custodians of that club wanted City to go bust. Had they got their hands on Ashton Gate as they tried , we would almost certainly not be here having a debate.

I don't want them to go bust , but relegation to the conference would do me just fine.

That group included Barry "Boycie" Bradshaw, and most Rovers fans would not trust him as far as they could throw him. There were plenty of the blue persuasion who did not want to see City go out of existence - happy to see the name at the bottom of the Football League, but total extinction would spoil the fun.

It's quite sad to say but I have never experienced a Bristol derby before. I've been following City just over ten years now and the time we lost to them in the JPT, I was away in OZ.

So when I read stories on here about the times we have played them in the past, it makes me feel like I am missing out!

If you went to school in the 80s or even earlier in a predominantly Gas area, the rivalry is probably still a factor in your thinking.

I'd imagine being at school now as a City fan is a far more comfortable experience and the derby matters very little to you.

If you'd gone into work/school the morning after the Gas beating us 4-2 at AG after they were 3-1 down after the first leg of the league cup back in 91/92 (I think), you'll understand.

ok, thanks for everyone's contribution. I reckon it's about 60% gas friendly and 40% gas haters.

I don't understand how you get offended by some City fans hating Rovers. For christ sake they are our local rivals, I would much rather people dislike them than like them at City!

If we were them and they were us would they like us or feel bad for us? Hell no!!!

With teams like Cardiff and Swindon it's mainly banter, but when it comes to Rovers they would want this club to die no doubt about it!

If you went to school in the 80s or even earlier in a predominantly Gas area, the rivalry is probably still a factor in your thinking.

I'd imagine being at school now as a City fan is a far more comfortable experience and the derby matters very little to you.

If you'd gone into work/school the morning after the Gas beating us 4-2 at AG after they were 3-1 down after the first leg of the league cup back in 91/92 (I think), you'll understand.

coming from the wood i know what you mean, i can still hear them singing 3-1 down 4-2 up etc etc

Archived