IGNORED

Will This Be The Straw?

Esmond Million's Bung

Good spot mr Bung, my feelings are there should be some kind of "policing" of match footage, i know it sounds a bit extreme but cheating bastards like this could make or break a teams final standings, be it promotion or relegation, the match officials cannot see all, and like it's been mentioned before,

to have video refs during a game is a non starter due to the many "hairline descisions" during a match, we might have to indure a three hour game so the officials can examine all the close call footage, that said, these cheats must be caught and fined, suspended, and exposed, possibly a weekly name and shame show on prime time tv, ...............rant over

Good spot mr Bung, my feelings are there should be some kind of "policing" of match footage, i know it sounds a bit extreme but cheating bastards like this could make or break a teams final standings, be it promotion or relegation, the match officials cannot see all, and like it's been mentioned before,

to have video refs during a game is a non starter due to the many "hairline descisions" during a match, we might have to indure a three hour game so the officials can examine all the close call footage, that said, these cheats must be caught and fined, suspended, and exposed, possibly a weekly name and shame show on prime time tv, ...............rant over

Dead right, a £50,000 fine and four-match suspension might have an effect on the cheating toad.

I didn't see the rest of it, did he roll around? To me he prempted the tackle, and jumped to miss the hit. If he rolled about then out of order, if he got up and made nothing of it, fair enough.

Look at the initial long-range shot. He does at least a triple Klinsmann.

The other funny bit is of Arse Whinger hadn't seen it again, but the player told him there was contact but he had slipped as well, no explanation of the theatrics that followed.

I didn't see the rest of it, did he roll around? To me he prempted the tackle, and jumped to miss the hit. If he rolled about then out of order, if he got up and made nothing of it, fair enough.

I think you need a trip to specsavers, it was a dive plain and simple and the first view shows him rolling over 2 or 3 times.

I think you need a trip to specsavers, it was a dive plain and simple and the first view shows him rolling over 2 or 3 times.

^^^ that clip showed little, so not sure its playing fully I'm sure I'll agree after watching motd

I think there should be a Rugby Union style citing commissioner who can look at incidents in retrospect and take appropriate action as I think diving and cheating should not fall into the category of serious foul play/ bringing the game into disrepute.

This. There's absolutely no reason that we can't have rugby-style citings in football. If the game's governing body were really serious about eradicating this kind of cheating then it's what they'd do. Retrospective three-match bans would soon have all managers telling their players not to dive and clubs seriously fining the ones that continue to do so.

I think there should be a Rugby Union style citing commissioner who can look at incidents in retrospect and take appropriate action as I think diving and cheating should not fall into the category of serious foul play/ bringing the game into disrepute.

+1

At half time in the Arse v WBA game on Fox one of the pundits said that some years ago Andreas Moller dived in a game for Dortmund and was subsequently banned unpaid for 8 weeks, it wasn't clear if the authorities or the club banned him.

The good news is quite a few arse fans are less than happy, imagine the uproar if it had been Suarez or Young.

Interesting to note that no one seems to be blaming the ref. The cheats have become so good at it that at full speed, and often at a difficult angle, and obviously only one look at it, it really does look like the player has been fouled. The refs and his assistants cannot really be blamed, so retrospective action really is the only proper course of action.

Interesting to note that no one seems to be blaming the ref. The cheats have become so good at it that at full speed, and often at a difficult angle, and obviously only one look at it, it really does look like the player has been fouled. The refs and his assistants cannot really be blamed, so retrospective action really is the only proper course of action.

Yes, I'm afraid that's the case. It's already happened in cricket.

Nice to see the pundit gravy train realising it was a dive but I think to me what makes it worse is the theatrics that followed, the rolling around after no contact whatsoever, turned an embarrassing dive into something far more sinister, I think the club should act initially by fining the guy 2 weeks wages, but definately at least a 6 game ban, it's ruining the game.

PS:- the ref had a mare.

That broke the camels back. Will the authorities have the balls to do something now?.

The best bit the cheating bastard even rolls around in agony.

Well, I admit to being a cheat in the opposition penalty area as about 32 years ago I went down after being barely nudged in a game at school. I did the dying fly Tiswas style and got and scored from the resultant penalty. I'm sure I got the penalty for the laughs I got from my dying fly impression. He who dares wins.

Football is an entertainment industry - don't take it too seriously. Although, I'd be pretty angry if we lost due to the opposition cheating.

i'm sorry for somebody who spouts crap about ******* Oliver Cromwell and other such nonsense, I would have thought that you of all people would have a greater sense of right and wrong, that is blighting the once beautiful game, you obviously missed that sermon at St Aldhelms.

i'm sorry for somebody who spouts crap about ******* Oliver Cromwell and other such nonsense, I would have thought that you of all people would have a greater sense of right and wrong, that is blighting the once beautiful game, you obviously missed that sermon at St Aldhelms.

Indeed. As others have said that if long suspensions and big fines were imposed afterwards on divers then the problem would stop very quickly - and maybe we get a bit of the beautiful game back. Probably be better if it was a UEFA or FIIFA initiative, but it needs doing.

BTW, say what you want about Cromwell but that man could organise a defence - very much the Tony Pulis of his day. New Model City anybody?

Nice to see the pundit gravy train realising it was a dive but I think to me what makes it worse is the theatrics that followed, the rolling around after no contact whatsoever, turned an embarrassing dive into something far more sinister, I think the club should act initially by fining the guy 2 weeks wages, but definately at least a 6 game ban, it's ruining the game.

PS:- the ref had a mare.

I'd go further. I'm not sure that even big fines and long bans would do the job. But if (along with those punishments) Arsenal were now on a warning that if it happens again they'd lose points you can bet that M Wenger would make sure his players stayed on their feet. Whatever sanctions there are against the club and player, Arsenal have still got the three points that this bit of scummy behaviour helped them earn - which makes it "profitable". Take away the benefit from doing it and it will stop.

Ive just watched the Big Match revisited, showing games from 1979.

Apart from Derby's pitch looking like Weston beach with the tide out, the biggest difference was the level of physical contact. There were some hefty challenges in all the games featured, but in general even after the "sternest" tackles players got on with the game, apart from when the were obviously and genuinely injured. There were umpteen tackles that would have today have been fouls and bookings but where play carried on and yet there was no sign of diving or feigning injury.

The other thing that was noticeable was the authority the referees carried. There were some dubious decisions as far as tackles were concerned, but i cant recall any occasions when the ref was surrounded by a posse of players demanding an opponent be booked or sent off.

My pet hate these days is that defenders seem to be able to wrestle attackers to the ground when a corner comes in.It's a clear foul and a penalty but is never given by the refs.

As a footnote to this, what are the odds on Man City getting a penalty after S'rAlex's warning shot across the referees bow in advance of todays Manc derby?

In rugby a player may be "cited" when film of the game is reviewed after the game and a booking and/or suspension can be awarded several days after the game due to the match Ref missing something. That way a guilty player oes not get away with it.

Archived