IGNORED

Difference Between Us And Decent Championship Teams

CiderArmyy

Our two defenders- Hoof it with their eyes closed.. no real aim or purpose just to `clear the danger`

A decent teams two defenders- Look to chest the ball, and find a team mate, or what I've seen alot more in the modern game defenders coming into midfield positions and playing a bit higher up the pitch, which I also see alot with quality championship teams

We have what, 6 defenders? And none of them are good with the ball.. how can this be? Surely our coaches should teach our defenders to enjoy having the ball.. But it's like a hot potatoe to them..

I have noticed that every team that come to the gate, are always organised and have a game plan.

They also always seem to have a battering ram of a centre half who can also play a bit, at least one player or winger who can put in a decent delivery and one central midfielder that gets on the ball and dictates the tempo.

Things we can only dream of I am afraid.

I have noticed that every team that come to the gate, are always organised and have a game plan.

They also always seem to have a battering ram of a centre half who can also play a bit, at least one player or winger who can put in a decent delivery and one central midfielder that gets on the ball and dictates the tempo.

Things we can only dream of I am afraid.

Thought Derby looked a good little outfit.. organised nice triangles in advanced positions.. I thought Will hughes the 17 year old kept on ticking on their play. I mean a 17 year old running the midfield against experience players like danss and elliot.. embarrasing.

Thought Derby looked a good little outfit.. organised nice triangles in advanced positions.. I thought Will hughes the 17 year old kept on ticking on their play. I mean a 17 year old running the midfield against experience players like danss and elliot.. embarrasing.

They were a decent little side to be fair. Comfortably better than us, but they played some good stuff. Will Hughes was different class. As you say kept them ticking over nicely. Amazing how a 17 year old can show such composure and class on the ball in comparison to our more experienced players that couldn't do that in a million years.

Hughes will be in the prem before long.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Frenchay Red" data-cid="1682186" data-time="1355616793"><p>

Other teams are fitter, more competitive, pass and move quicker, close us down quicker, are more technically competent, better organised, stronger in possession, stronger when not in possession, prepared to challenge for every ball and have method and structure in the way they play.</p></blockquote> couldn't agree more. Organisation and cohesiveness is what we lack most. Manager & his coaches are hugely responsible for that. Our players don't know their jobs or do but refuse to do them. Was the Bates substitution an injury?

Other teams are fitter, more competitive, pass and move quicker, close us down quicker, are more technically competent, better organised, stronger in possession, stronger when not in possession, prepared to challenge for every ball and have method and structure in the way they play.

but apart from that they are just the same as us!

What summed everything up for me yesterday was about half way through the first half.

The ball came through the air to the back four from the Derby goalkick. It came to Fontaine, who had absolutely nobody near him (either Derby or City) and he basically closed his eyes and just headed it high and forward back to where it came.

Literally straight to the bank of Derby defenders.

In contrast, their player took it down, looked up and played forward to the feet of a central midfielder who had come looking for it.

They then played it on the floor and with purpose.

We got it and again lumped it forward.

We just look like a clueless, route 1 side and frankly on those tactics should go down because its embarrassing at this level.

It's not better than the crap I saw under the final season of Johnson.

The difference is we dont close them down,the opposition are allowed to much time and space,just go back and watch a re-run of the Cardiff and palace games and you'll see.

I said this last night but this is because the defence are frightened to death of making a mistake so they stand off that bit more.

As a result opponents have about a yard and a half more than they would do normally.

Our midfielders were just run ragged yesterday.

I felt a bit for Danns and Albert yesterday. They must think what the fk are they doing in a side of cloggers like this.

Probably exactly what Maynard thought and who can blame them.

Other teams are fitter, more competitive, pass and move quicker, close us down quicker, are more technically competent, better organised, stronger in possession, stronger when not in possession, prepared to challenge for every ball and have method and structure in the way they play.

100% spot on.

And we all know that's all down to the manager . Mcinnes is inept and out of his depth at this level.

Through the game yesterday watching Derby knock it through our midfield etc, my old man nods to the Derby bench and said "His sides play football like his father's teams. Best side I ever saw down here before you were born was his old man's Forest side with Archie Gemmill and the like"

At that moment we saw Fontaine play it (again) across to Foster who then lumped it forward for it to bounce and go out for a throw in.

Quite apt timing.

Derby were much the better side and played some neat and tidy stuff, nothing flash but simple and very effective, Salmon put himself about and was very combatative he looked the ideal lone forward, something we sadly lack.

the second half they just sat deep and kept their shape very well, difficult to pass through and hence the reason we began to play whooooossssshhh ball.

Im no coach and dont know the answer on how to break down teams like Derby but it certianly wasnt the way we played yesterday.

We are very predictable, Albert come the end was a very frustrated figure and i think he was our only creative player, Derby sussed this out straight away and put 3 or 4 on him but the sad thing whilst closing AB down they still had players in other key areas of the pitch and we still couldnt exploit this. i think Del bought Greg on to offer a bit more creativity, a few months ago it may have done the trick but fairplay to Cunningham he was a little rusty.

All our attacking movements come from the flanks we need some inginuity in the centre of the park, a player who can play to Baldocks strengths (i do feel though he has had chances, yesterday being one) he can only get sharper with game time but felt he should have scored at least one, maybe asking too much but thats what quality strikers are about.

Del needs to work magic in January? we are battle hardened and have previuos experience from a relegation fight which i hope will guide us through but maybe this is my way of offering myself some hope and belief, something to cling to - god i hope so !!

100% spot on.

And we all know that's all down to the manager . Mcinnes is inept and out of his depth at this level.

Funny thing is that not too long ago we had a manager who made us fitter, more competitive, got us to close sides down, whose teams were good when not in possession, challenged for every ball and were praised for the way they tried to play football.

As I remember fans called for him to go because he was inept and out of his depth.

Agree with all of this - i really believe there is a fitness issue as the team look very one paced - maybe with the exception of Albert and Baldock making the odd darting run. Derbys energy and speed of play for the full 90 minutes was in complete contrast to our lots laboured and heavy performance. The other key difference was the number of players hiding yesterday rather than showing for the ball - absolutely shocking , whilst Derby players had options all over the pitch when they had possession. I would drop the majority of this pathetic pile of shite immediately and put the youngsters in - cos if we dont we are going down any way and at least the youngsters would give it everything - and all I want right now a team prepared to ******* try for 90 mins - regardless of result.

I am puzzled by the apparent lack of fitness both this season and last. As I see it there are 3 elements to athleticism. Stamina, ie keeping going for the 90mins. Pace, ie the ability to sprint, which will be different for each player given their natural physiology, and recovery ie how long before they take before they can "go again".

When you look at our lot they seem to come up short in all of these respects. Albert may be quick but he often looks shot after a few of his bursts of speed, while others seem to be entirely one paced and don't have the energy to chase and challenge.

This was so noticable against Wolves when Doyle, not the speediest of players, just ran through the midfield and defence unchalleneged. And yesterday Derby just knocked it around us in as much space as they wanted. Yet the moment we had the ball we were closed down straight away and the only way was to pass back or hit and hope.

Given the lack of technical ability in the team we should, if nothing, else train, train, train, to try and gain at least a fitness advantage. But getting fitter is hard work, very hard work. Ask any athlete or racing cyclist. And I don't think we do hard work.

So what/how have things changed? Just a few months ago Palace & Cardiff were made to look ordinary at best when they visited Fortress AG. Now it's an easy 3 points for visiting teams.

I am puzzled by the apparent lack of fitness both this season and last. As I see it there are 3 elements to athleticism. Stamina, ie keeping going for the 90mins. Pace, ie the ability to sprint, which will be different for each player given their natural physiology, and recovery ie how long before they take before they can "go again".

When you look at our lot they seem to come up short in all of these respects. Albert may be quick but he often looks shot after a few of his bursts of speed, while others seem to be entirely one paced and don't have the energy to chase and challenge.

This was so noticable against Wolves when Doyle, not the speediest of players, just ran through the midfield and defence unchalleneged. And yesterday Derby just knocked it around us in as much space as they wanted. Yet the moment we had the ball we were closed down straight away and the only way was to pass back or hit and hope.

Given the lack of technical ability in the team we should, if nothing, else train, train, train, to try and gain at least a fitness advantage. But getting fitter is hard work, very hard work. Ask any athlete or racing cyclist. And I don't think we do hard work.

Could be nerves, negative energy or whatever the term is, dulling their reactions ?

Well, we've got the worst home kit in the league. Surely our dire performance at home can be partially attributed to the black shoulders on the shirt? Back to red and white please :) And our squad is short of 5 or 6 quality players. You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a ****ing pig.

Funny thing is that not too long ago we had a manager who made us fitter, more competitive, got us to close sides down, whose teams were good when not in possession, challenged for every ball and were praised for the way they tried to play football.

As I remember fans called for him to go because he was inept and out of his depth.

Who was that then?

Archived