IGNORED

Genuine City Legends

numbeast

Totally agree about Taylor, I am convinced that, had he not been injured against Watford in our promotion season, whch caused him to miss all but the fag-end of our following season (98/99) we would have stayed up. Wardy brought in Julian Watts (disaster), Sean Dyche was still dogged by injury (and never really settled here) and Benny was able to bring back injury prone Mark Shail. None of these were anywhere close to the standards set by Shaun Taylor in the previous season, added to the alreay mentioned fact that he brought out the best in those around him (notably a young Louis Carey who had a fantastic partnership with ST during the promotion season). With the likes of Akinbiyi and Andersen, scoring goals was not a problem, but as we were having to score 2 or 3 goals a game to gain even a point because of our leaky defence we didn't have a chance. Sounds familiar?

Would like to put in an honourable mention for Christian Roberts here. OK not a legend in the true sense, but responsible for two legendary acts: being the winners at Mansfield and against Hartlepool. He's has had his problems in life and has been very honest about them. Have read the book, met him a few times - a good guy, IMO, and should be remembered well for a few very good things.

Here's my list:

Ashton Gate 8

John Atyeo

Billy Wedlock

Gerry Gow

Trevor Tainton

Brian Tinnion

Louis Carey

In that order too

Blimey that's my list as well (& I only saw the last 2 play).

Mind you I watch football for fun - to make me happy (no-one seems to do this any more!), so further down the list I'd have some entertainers:

Super Bob

The Chief

Jacki

Alan Walsh

The whole 1986 team

Totally agree about Taylor, I am convinced that, had he not been injured against Watford in our promotion season, whch caused him to miss all but the fag-end of our following season (98/99) we would have stayed up. Wardy brought in Julian Watts (disaster), Sean Dyche was still dogged by injury (and never really settled here) and Benny was able to bring back injury prone Mark Shail. None of these were anywhere close to the standards set by Shaun Taylor in the previous season, added to the alreay mentioned fact that he brought out the best in those around him (notably a young Louis Carey who had a fantastic partnership with ST during the promotion season). With the likes of Akinbiyi and Andersen, scoring goals was not a problem, but as we were having to score 2 or 3 goals a game to gain even a point because of our leaky defence we didn't have a chance. Sounds familiar?

I've always said, the one big mistake John Ward made was not replacing Shaun Taylor with a top draw million pound defender when he got injured.

We would of certainly stayed up and we wasted enough money that season to be able to afford one.

it didn't matter how difficult a header or any 50/50 challenge was, he would always win it and always find a City player. Immense, what I'd give to see his like playing in this team.

Don't want to put the dampeners on this thread but....LEDGEND?......in my opinion we,ve only had 2...

Billy Wedlock and John Atyeo.

We.ve had lots of good players over the years but lets not undermine the true greats. Legends are born out of playing in cup finals and for England...not scratching around in the lower divisions.

Don't want to put the dampeners on this thread but....LEDGEND?......in my opinion we,ve only had 2...

We.ve had lots of good players over the years but lets not undermine the true greats. Legends are born out of playing in cup finals and for England...not scratching around in the lower divisions.

I agree there are some dodgy shouts on here but the thread is titled genuine CITY legends. Not footballing legends.

You can only work with what you've got.

I know Big John played 6 games for England, but he also scratched around in the 3rd with the best of them.

Ivor Guy, my grand father's best mate. He owes me a lot - I was brought up in East Bristol gas land. But Ivor and my grand dad meant I was a City fan ... the only kid in my class - and probably school - who was a Red. I ended up as Billy no mates - and bullied - so Ivor you owe me big time :laugh:!

Archived