IGNORED

Fourteen Quid For A Four Year Old ?

Keepers Ball

Thats your choice to be a student, noone has forced you.

You shouldnt expect cheaper stuff just because your a student.

As a student myself, I'm afraid to say, I do agree. There are certain aspects of life where I feel like the Government should subsidise for students as it is in their best interest that we go to University, but football? Nah. If a club wishes to do so, then fair enough, but I shouldn't EXPECT a club to lower their prices for me for what is (supposed to be) a luxury.

I always expect to pay the full price and think of it as a bonus if a club we're playing away offer student/u24 etc tickets.

• Admin

The thing that I find the most surprising about the price of tickets is that even in the family stand the price rises to £12 for an on the day price (Phase 1 is £5, Phase 2 is £9).

The child price is for an under 16.

It would not be so bad if there were sell outs every week, and there was a scramble for tickets.

I would have thought that at least the family stand should be re-addressed to save this problem from happening, keeping a cheaper ticket frozen at the Phase 1 price seems most sensible to me

• Admin

As a student myself, I'm afraid to say, I do agree. There are certain aspects of life where I feel like the Government should subsidise for students as it is in their best interest that we go to University, but football? Nah. If a club wishes to do so, then fair enough, but I shouldn't EXPECT a club to lower their prices for me for what is (supposed to be) a luxury.

I always expect to pay the full price and think of it as a bonus if a club we're playing away offer student/u24 etc tickets.

Very sensible post !

You could probably put an arguement up for nearly everyone having a reduced ticket:

Earn under a certain amount

Retired

Un-employed

Self-employed - without enough work

Married with kids

Single person expensive mortgage

etc etc

Looks like that £9,000 isn't going as far as you'd like.

Lose = Opposite of win.

Loose = Opposite of tight.

Lighten up mate. Give the guy a break.

You sound like a bit of a smart-ass.

Smart-arse = the same as dumb-ass.

I don't suppose you've ever made a mistake.

I've seen countless spelling (typo) and grammatical mistakes on this site. So what's the big deal?

Why don't you just focus on what he's saying.

Ok so i can buy a ticket for £7 in advance

But just say there was no guarantee I can take the lad until matchday itself..

Fourteen quid for a lad who has never been to a game and will probably get bored and want to go home ?

Fourteen quid to glance an eye on two shite teams fighting relegation ?

Please tell me Ive read the admission price wrong

at the risk of sounding unhelpful and distinctly unseasonal, as you say yourself, the lad is probably going to get bored and want to go home. so why are you taking him in the first place?? apologies if I sound like scrooge, but I bloody hate people who take kids to football who clearly don't want to be there. if that is the case, I have little sympathy for you spunking this fourteen quid.

A few years back I took my son to watch Arsenal for his birthday treat.

Half price seats for children are only available in the family stand. That was sold out at the start of the season. Anywhere else in the ground thn it's full adult price for everyone.

Many other Prem clubs operate the same pricing strategy.

40 years ago it was 15p for a child to stand on the Open End at AG. Then we changed from being a football ground to an all seater stadium. Clubs always charged more to sit rather than stand whilst watching so that put prices up. By installing seats that reduced the ground capacity, so prices had to increase to maintain the same level of income.

However 15p = £14 after 40 years? Bus & train fares have not risen at such a rate, nor have food prices. But then bus drivers & farm labourers have not had their wages increase as footballers have.

The whole ticketing policy of our club is outdated and is in need of a revamp, unfortunately I cant see it happening. Last season I bought 2 adults and 11 juvenile season tickets, went to renew this year to be told that as the kids had reached 16 the price went from 50 pound(Very reasonable) to 260 pound! These 16 year olds are still at school so the parents are getting fleeced again! Why not have something in between these two prices.

Why not have 2 levels of season tickets? one dedicated to a person and non transferable at usual price perhaps with photographic evidence, and another at a higher price that is transferable?

Let under 5's in free if they take a seat or not, its not as though we ever sell out

5-10 a fiver

10-16 10 pound

16-21 15 quid.

Dont forget that kids will have to stay in education until 18 very soon so no form of income

Our club has to do something to reinvigorate the club/fan relationship!

That is very true and something most 'ticket' businesses need to take into account these days. It costs a fortune to keep them at school/college between 16-18 and doesn't get any cheaper once they go to University, I currently have all 3 of my kids at University, costing a fortune and they aren't kids anymore but considered by Law to be adults so why do us parents have to financially assist them to get the education this country has demanded?

Adult prices should not come in until 18 now and student prices should be kept as low as possible.

Trouble with free tickets is people take them but then dont go. Best bet might be pay your age up to 18. A four year old would therefore be £4 which is cheaper than a session at the soft play?

I love this idea, so simple and so great. Why has no one thought of it before ??

Last year I got children into Ewood, Goodison, Viila Park, Reebok and Villa Park cheaper than it was for visits to Ashton Gate.

I would rather pay 2-3 quid extra to see children u11 come in FREE

Villa Park is very cheap. I'm at Uni in Birmingham and live within a mile of Villa Park and they regularly offer £10 tickets for students and further discounts for kids.

Thats your choice to be a student, noone has forced you.

You shouldnt expect cheaper stuff just because your a student.

True, but I feel like there should be some kind of middle ground like the old U18/student ticket the club used to offer. Sure some people will say that people abuse it but the simple solution to this is for the club to police it properly, make it known that ID with DOB or student cards/letters of acceptance from relevant institute for those who haven't started yet are needed before you can qualify for it. It's not difficult.

During my four years away in Swansea and then Liverpool I bought a season ticket and traveled back for most home games, I'm sure I wasn't the only one. There's no way I could have afforded to do this at full adult price. I'm sure that the club are missing out on potential support/income by no longer offering this price bracket.

On topic, £14 for a four year old is, at best, outrageous.

On topic, £14 for a four year old is, at best, outrageous.

why? if by the posters admission the kid will be bored and want to go home. the kid doesn't want to be there, but the OP is expecting a discount anyway. why!? another example of people angling for a freebie for no real reason. welcome to the gravy train.

why? if by the posters admission the kid will be bored and want to go home. the kid doesn't want to be there, but the OP is expecting a discount anyway. why!? another example of people angling for a freebie for no real reason. welcome to the gravy train.

Kids have to be introduced to new things at some point. Sure a lot wouldn't do much at all if they were given a choice. £14 is hardly going to encourage many parents to introduce their offspring to the world of pain that is BCFC.

I could understand if we were even anywhere near capacity most weeks. I reckon that for everyone who wants to but won't/can't pay £14 a game for their youngster there would be four or five who would pay £4 or £5, which means the club have made more money, sold more seats and introduced more prospective fans to the experience all at once.

Kids have to be introduced to new things at some point. Sure a lot wouldn't do much at all if they were given a choice. £14 is hardly going to encourage many parents to introduce their offspring to the world of pain that is BCFC.

I could understand if we were even anywhere near capacity most weeks. I reckon that for everyone who wants to but won't/can't pay £14 a game for their youngster there would be four or five who would pay £4 or £5, which means the club have made more money, sold more seats and introduced more prospective fans to the experience all at once.

yes, kids should be introduced to football, but they shouldn't be forced into football - which is what OP appears to be doing. My point is in direct reference to his post, and i'm foxed why he appears to be getting all shirty that the club seem to owe it to him for him to make a saving bringing a lad who doesn't want to be there. I sound like an old codger, but there ain't nothing worse than sitting through a match while a lawless sprog who doesn't want to be there is yelling his socks off about how he wants to be watching Dr Who or something daft.

yes, kids should be introduced to football, but they shouldn't be forced into football - which is what OP appears to be doing. My point is in direct reference to his post, and i'm foxed why he appears to be getting all shirty that the club seem to owe it to him for him to make a saving bringing a lad who doesn't want to be there. I sound like an old codger, but there ain't nothing worse than sitting through a match while a lawless sprog who doesn't want to be there is yelling his socks off about how he wants to be watching Dr Who or something daft.

When my son was growing up his season cost £23 - quid a kid - and I started as a father-son thing. Years on he's 22 and a student and I'm still a ST in the Dolman. If we were selling out every week it would be different but if you give good prices for kids, you'll get the dads as well and people will keep the habit for years. This Saturday I'll be bringing him and it's costing £27 to see City-Peterborough FFS. Thing is, once people are p*ssed off or priced-out they lose the habit and they don't come back. The club once seemed to encourage the sort of loyalty that turns into life-time support - these days we seem to go from deal to deal, with club and players more distant from the supporters than at any time I've known.

A lot of internal things are changing in the background at City: coaching, scouting, academy, admin etc.. Maybe building a growing and sustained fan base needs some serious thought as well.

Sure I didn't want to go to Thomond or Musgrave when I was four or five as I'd have sooner been eating custard or something but my old fella took me and now it's one of the things about home I miss the most and if I still lived there I'd be a fair source of income for Munster Rugby (actually this is doubtful given our economy, but you get the point). Kids often don't know what they want and have to be introduced to new things sometime. BCFC should be doing more to encourage parents to introduce them to Championship football with the club.

My point is that regardless of whether the youngster in question wants to go or not, £14 is too much. Lately I'm not sure that I want to go, but there it is. I live in hope.

Old codger or not, it's absolutely true that they can be annoying as well, but arguably no more annoying than some of the old boys around me. Such is life.

When my son was growing up his season cost £23 - quid a kid - and I started as a father-son thing. Years on he's 22 and a student and I'm still a ST in the Dolman. If we were selling out every week it would be different but if you give good prices for kids, you'll get the dads as well and people will keep the habit for years. This Saturday I'll be bringing him and it's costing £27 to see City-Peterborough FFS. Thing is, once people are p*ssed off or priced-out they lose the habit and they don't come back. The club once seemed to encourage the sort of loyalty that turns into life-time support - these days we seem to go from deal to deal, with club and players more distant from the supporters than at any time I've known.

A lot of internal things are changing in the background at City: coaching, scouting, academy, admin etc.. Maybe building a growing and sustained fan base needs some serious thought as well.

This +1

Sure I didn't want to go to Thomond or Musgrave when I was four or five as I'd have sooner been eating custard or something but my old fella took me and now it's one of the things about home I miss the most and if I still lived there I'd be a fair source of income for Munster Rugby (actually this is doubtful given our economy, but you get the point). Kids often don't know what they want and have to be introduced to new things sometime. BCFC should be doing more to encourage parents to introduce them to Championship football with the club.

My point is that regardless of whether the youngster in question wants to go or not, £14 is too much. Lately I'm not sure that I want to go, but there it is. I live in hope.

Old codger or not, it's absolutely true that they can be annoying as well, but arguably no more annoying than some of the old boys around me. Such is life.

a fair retort :) for the record, yes, I do agree the club should be doing more encourage fans in general (young, old and whoever). as another poster points, there doesn't appear to be much of a strategy of creating a long term fanbase. if there is, then it's clearly evaded a lot of people.

Didn't they do pay your age with some Olympics tickets? Whilst a good idea it would take an awful lot of policing and whilst it works for one off purchases (Olympics) isn't that practical when you are dealing with 1,000's of POTD customers. I have said for years the club should be charging under 18s as little as possible to get in. I am not yet a family man but know how touch and go it is for me to afford a season ticket so can't imagine how people manage with a couple of kids plus the extras. If we were seeing sell outs I wouldn't say there was a problem but surely it's time to drastically drop prices and fill the ground. Although its a simplistic way of looking at things a full stadium at half price is worth so much more to the club than a half full stadium at full price! With regard to students I do agree that there should be no automatic right for them to get cheap tickets but the club need to seriously consider their marketing strategy. Bristol is one of the biggest university cities in the country with thousands of students, many of which will stay in the city to work after they finish. It would be foolish for the club to not try and make the most of this and instead of seeing reduced income see it as an investment and hope to turn them into life long city fans. For example they should send a load of cheap tickets (£10) to freshers fairs to get people through the turnstiles at the beginning of the season and select a few less attractive games for neutrals (P'boro, Sheffield Wed, Barnsley) and run offers to attract more students, as well as others, to the game. Maybe even run a deal where former ST holders can get in at a reduced rate, just something to swell the numbers!!

Last year my mate took his four year old to a game, and the turnstile operator let him in free.

Back in the day, the turnstile operators would usually tell you to lift the youngster over the turnstile, or let both of you squeeze through together - so no charge. Even had this happen at away games. I guess that it's harder to do that these days, with all seater stadiums and clubs being after every penny they can get.

Bringing a lad who doesnt want to be there ? know this for sure do you ?

Because I certainly dont. So dont you dare accuse me of forcing it .

I am "introducing" as you put it . Feeling the water you might say.

The first Boy was taken at four and he loved it. Now my second lad is four Im trying it with him. If he doesnt enjoy it then he wont go again until he is older and choses to.

And if there is nothing worse than sitting through a match near a kid then i suggest one thing .....move !

Archived