IGNORED

Suarez

wayne allisons tongues

Controversial incidents like the Suarez one will always raise the temperature of debate because it's a matter of interpretation - was it deliberate or not? People, including the referee, will have different views and opinions.

For me, the biggest controversy in football these days is defensive 'holding' in the penalty area on set pieces. It really annoys me how defenders can get away with putting their arms around an attacker to stop him moving or hold his shirt, and most of the time get away with it. For me, this 'cheating' alone is killing the game and referees should be brave enough to award a penalty. Defenders should be forced to keep their arms by their sides, not under the armpits of the attacker they're marking.

As a former referee, I would certainly not tolerate any sort of holding in the penalty area.

Controversial incidents like the Suarez one will always raise the temperature of debate because it's a matter of interpretation - was it deliberate or not? People, including the referee, will have different views and opinions.

For me, the biggest controversy in football these days is defensive 'holding' in the penalty area on set pieces. It really annoys me how defenders can get away with putting their arms around an attacker to stop him moving or hold his shirt, and most of the time get away with it. For me, this 'cheating' alone is killing the game and referees should be brave enough to award a penalty. Defenders should be forced to keep their arms by their sides, not under the armpits of the attacker they're marking.

As a former referee, I would certainly not tolerate any sort of holding in the penalty area.

Agree with this, one of my biggest bug bears too.

The ref in Cardiff's cup tie didn't miss the shirt pulling and was brave enought to award the penalty. However, you could tell from the Cardiff players' reactions that they thought their player had done nothing wrong, on the basis that it happens in every game and they get away with it. That is one of the problems - because players keep getting away with it, they protest even more on the very odd occassions they are penalised for holding. Quite a few pundits have commented that if refs give a penalty every time it happens, then defenders would stop doing and I agree.

If the solution is so simple, then why don't refs do it?

On the subject of deliberate or not, how many of the hundreds of penalties given for handball were deliberate?

The rules in a book are all very well, the reality of the situation is different. If those are pens, then the goal should have been disallowed. Still don't think it was deliberate or from the way he scored the goal that he expected it to stand. Hardly a cheat.

On the subject of deliberate or not, how many of the hundreds of penalties given for handball were deliberate?

The rules in a book are all very well, the reality of the situation is different. If those are pens, then the goal should have been disallowed. Still don't think it was deliberate or from the way he scored the goal that he expected it to stand. Hardly a cheat.

It was crystal clear that it was deliberate, he put his hand out and knocked the ball to stop it going past him. It couldn't be any more obvious. You're seeing this through the Liverpool Lens again.

The rules are the rules, it's handball if and only if it's deliberate, so you can't say "it wasn't deliberate" but also "the goal shouldn't have stood" as the two are inconsistent.

Breaking the rules to gain advantage is absolutely cheating every time.

Archived