IGNORED

You Wish You Were English

Big Red Rich

You also said "Not a lot of intelligence" which, correct me if Im wrong, Is a insult of sorts ?

And the "super fan" thing I take is a underhand insult as well ?

Sorry, I hoped that was more sarcastic than offensive, didn't mean to cause alarm. Wouldn't read a lot into a lot into my remarks when this thread is all about how the chant which is the subject of this thread was totally meaningless.... Irony? My dad wasn't English, I didn't grow up here either so don't consider myself either. Do I wish I was? I'll tell you something having lived in Bristol for 20 years, the people I know who wear the England football shirt the most and wind me up most in their support for England..... Indian. They were born in Bristol not Leicester though so that's okay then. I assume they wish they were English, anything less wouldn't do at Ashton Gate.

Sorry, I hoped that was more sarcastic than offensive, didn't mean to cause alarm. Wouldn't read a lot into a lot into my remarks when this thread is all about how the chant which is the subject of this thread was totally meaningless.... Irony? My dad wasn't English, I didn't grow up here either so don't consider myself either. Do I wish I was? I'll tell you something having lived in Bristol for 20 years, the people I know who wear the England football shirt the most and wind me up most in their support for England..... Indian. They were born in Bristol not Leicester though so that's okay then. I assume they wish they were English, anything less wouldn't do at Ashton Gate.

No need to appologise at all and no offence taken what so ever.

Me I was born in England my parents are English and so were my Grand parents,I would leave tomorrow and live in India.

THE EAST END is quite rightly the centre of our Fan base, if we don't sing, then no-one would sing...if it was down to the PC brigade we would be singing ****ing hymns.

Rant over.......

Have to admit it. The East End certainly know how to support their team.....

"We're shit, and we know we are" and, "You're not fit to wear the shirt" showed how well they support and get behind their team. No doubt, the players appreciated it.

Yes we were awful today, and have been for a while, but surely the players are more likely to respond to encouragement rather than criticism from the so called "Centre" of support

I would leave tomorrow and live in India.

I wouldn't. I rely on a shit football team to provide my weekly quota of laughter and letting off steam. If we ever make the prem I'm going to be miserable as sin.

if you think thats duscusting, wait till cardiff away, we will be signing more than "you wish you were english" dont bother going to cardiff if you think that is offensive ngl

Yep. The "I'd rather be" is my least favourite behaviour of my fellow fans and really has no justification but last time I went to Cardiff it was Ninian Park and someone chucked a bottle of urine at me, which was marginally less pleasant. Sticks/stones/bottles of urine etc.

"We're shit, and we know we are" and, "You're not fit to wear the shirt" showed how well they support and get behind their team. No doubt, the players appreciated it.

Yes we were awful today, and have been for a while, but surely the players are more likely to respond to encouragement rather than criticism from the so called "Centre" of support

The players are not fit to wear that shirt and we are ****ing shit, so let's not beat around the bush.

If you want to criticise the EE please explain what clever songs you have started today to gee the team on to that noble win we were all expecting?

Or did you did u just sit in silence, too embarrassed to stand up and gather those around you in a wall of encouraging noise?

What is embarrassing is the largest stand in the ground is the quietest and have literally NO intention of getting up and supporting team!

Yep. The "I'd rather be" is my least favourite behaviour of my fellow fans and really has no justification but last time I went to Cardiff it was Ninian Park and someone chucked a bottle of urine at me, which was marginally less pleasant. Sticks/stones/bottles of urine etc.

All ways find this a bit strange too .....................Is, Id rather be a Scott than a Taff or Id rather be a Canadian than a Yank etc etc,offensive?

The bottle of urine is not on though.

I'm welsh but let's not open up that can of worms!

Look, what I was trying to get at (badly) is that, at football a lot of things get said that people don't necessarily mean its all part of the exchanges between supporters.

That girl doesn't have a sexual disease and prob doesn't take it up the ass, Bristol is not a shit hole, Leicester doesn't smell like curry, the welsh don't shag sheep, Celtic fans are not all in the IRA, not everyone from Nottingham is Robin Hood, not everyone from Liverpool is on the dole and not everyone who supports Millwall loves to fight!

The argument was going so well up to that point. Ever been there? Scary place...........

I'm half Indian, heard it and was not bothered. Was embarrassing but had enough to he embarrassed about so sort of blended in. Was a pleasant reminder of why I'm in the Dolman. Not a lot of intelligence coming out of you know where but thank you for the noise.

I'm quarter Welsh.

When the Leicester fans were singing "small town in Wales" I heard it and wasnt bothered. It was embarrassing but it sort of blended in. Pleasant reminder of why I'm in the Dolman. Not a lot of intelliegnce coming from the Leicester East End (obviously not the Bristol City East End any more, thanks BCFC) but thankyou Leicester for the noise (well, bit quiet really).

All ways find this a bit strange too .....................Is, Id rather be a Scott than a Taff or Id rather be a Canadian than a Yank etc etc,offensive?

The bottle of urine is not on though.

It's the word though. P*** is used while attacking and abusing people and painted on walls in the same vein. The other ones you mention aren't. That's the difference. My old man is dead now but he got it in the eighties and came to City a few times and if anyone thinks hearing your own fans singing "I'd rather be a P***" is a welcoming experience for an older generation of Indian is really missing the point. But PLEASE god lets not start yet another racism thread. If you're going to take the piss out of Leicester take the piss out of the fact most counterfeit gear in the UK comes from there. Not that there happens to be more Asians - unless you think that's weird.

@TrueBrit :laugh: yes I'm going to be laughing a whole lot more than anything else - let off steam and laugh, thank god we support a real local football team, can't imagine what it must be like staring at a screen and droning on about how wonderful your team is.......

Having been in he east end today, there were a couple of people who tried to sing a couple of sings in the first, but there were a few boos and to be honest no one really joins in. The wish you were English chant did get going, but at that particular moment I noticed the atmosphere was probably at its worst today. It mellowed after, but at that point Leicester fans were at their most aggressive and city seemed a bit upset. I don't like those songs, but if I'm honest they are becoming sung by fewer and fewer people. You can all huff and puff and tut all you want but Rome wasn't built in a day and seeing as I am an intelligent realist ill except that football is changing but it's such an emotional thing that attracts people from all walks of life that its never going to be a quick simple process.

What I wish is ...... we didn't have this circular debate after every match we play against Leicester!

I suppose when we're two divisions below them, it won't be an issue any more.

To recap my position from last time - it's crap and embarrassing but not definitely racist, just naff banter in response to the 'small town in Wales thing'.

NOTE TO LEICESTER FANS: Bristol has 110,000 more people than Leicester. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conurbation#United_Kingdom

we've been encouraging them for ages and get no response.

Are you using a supporter's preference to an area of the ground as an insult? Laughable.

preferance to sit down and inactively support your team while the EE loses their voice singing and then they try to make an issue out of a chant lke this which is pathetic, by the way trying to be patronising on a forum, just sad really.

Funnily enough as a Citizenship Education academics I have just written a piece of Migration specifically focusing on the City of Leicester.

High Asian population, yet only 28% are non-white......

You might want to revisit that, as only slightly over 50% (45% British) are white in the city, according to the lst census.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-20678326

I loathe racism, but some people here are way over the top. If "you wish you were English" is racist then why isn't "you're a small town in Wales"?

I would suggest that anyone who thinks that should examine their own prejudices. Ask themselves whether they really take seriously the claims of Welsh nationalism. Or is it only black or brown people who can be victims of racism? A good few people in the former Yugoslavia would disagree with that, were they alive to do so.

Archived