IGNORED

You Wish You Were English

Big Red Rich

Probably the same people who were singing ' I'd rather be a paki than a Taff' in the Prince of Wales in Cardiff. And the same people singing homophobic songs to families of Brighton fans on the train back from Cardiff. So big of you lads I hope your mothers are proud of you. Hang your heads in shame scum bags

probably the same people who sold jacki and crashed into twin towers. love your assumptions :D you criticize people who make generalizations by making even bigger generalizations yourself.

Leicester fan here....To all the boys worried about the reputation of the club with all the racist chanting - I think pretty much all clubs have a minority like this. It's a problem that England has as a whole so I wouldn't worry to much about what people might think of BC. I know all in all you guys have a good set of fans. From an outsiders perspective this discussion is laughable, each person's perception is down to their education, class, and general life experience. Anyone saying its banter and a laugh is just ridiculous and even making a commet like that clearly highlights which category you fall into. Your only an embarrassment to yourselves.

Action points:

Close the east end

Allow away fans to call us welsh, and politely applaud

Cheer the players, even when 4 0 down and putting in **** all effort

Increase ticket prices, so the peasant underclass can't attend

Result - Ashton gate being the biggest piss take in football, but as long as we can sit there and pleasantly enjoy are team getting spanked we can all be happy

Brilliant, we're sat in the relegation zone, we've just sacked out manager, and the main topic being discussed is a "banter" chant.

Welcome to Bristol City. Pffftttttt

Take it for what it is, football banter, nothing more and nothing less.

Until Leicester make a complaint or someone from Leicester gets upset, stop being offended on behalf of other people.

My mate was in the away end yesterday.

I am not overly sure they would have been bothered.

Many years ago at uni, I asked him why he went to a Catholic school in Leicester when he wasnt Catholic.

He said it was the best way to avoid going to a school dominated by Asians.

I don't like it or agree with it, but in Leicester they live a very different outlook to us - akin to the white South Africans I guess.

Not sure a chant like that would bother them one tad.

Regardless of the xenophobic/racist argument, is it any wonder that the people of this country think we are inbred yokel morons when this is the level of 'banter'?

Today, for the most part I have been embarrassed to be associated with this club and this region.

Well why dont you p*** off up to Liverpool and you can sit and hold hands with your Scouse mates and sing charming little diitties about plane crashes!

Speaking as someone who has grown up being classed as half cast i am now no longer allowed to refer to myself as this but have to use the term (mixed race) even though I don`t know what those races are, personally I wish the do gooders would keep there noses out of it and leave us brown folk to get on with our lives!

Isn't the "small town in Asia/you wish you were English" designed to offend the white/English Leicester fans? I have to admit to being offended by "small town in Wales/you're Welsh and you know you are" but I appreciate and fully understand it's just sung as a wind up during a football match.

What really matters is that we live in a country that allows people of any colour, race or religion to stand side by side in the football ground (or anywhere else in the country) and go about their lives as equals without fear of discrimination or predjudice. Cue fanfare!

As a Leicester fan I signed up just to comment on this topic. I don't think it's really racist but its not banter either. It is not different to Welsh songs in my opinion, both are just unwitty, crap chants really. I'd struggle to see anyone getting offended as well, I asked an Asian fan when I got back on the coach if it bothers him and he didn't really care, and white people aren't too bothered by it either. It does appear that attitudes are different down there, I overheard the stewards before the game say to some of our fans 'you can't be Leicester, I can't see any Asians' and agains I don't see as there is any problem with that. You seem particularly bad for these type of chants, we only really get it from you, Forest, Millwall and Derby

As a Leicester fan I signed up just to comment on this topic. I don't think it's really racist but its not banter either. It is not different to Welsh songs in my opinion, both are just unwitty, crap chants really. I'd struggle to see anyone getting offended as well, I asked an Asian fan when I got back on the coach if it bothers him and he didn't really care, and white people aren't too bothered by it either. It does appear that attitudes are different down there, I overheard the stewards before the game say to some of our fans 'you can't be Leicester, I can't see any Asians' and agains I don't see as there is any problem with that. You seem particularly bad for these type of chants, we only really get it from you, Forest, Millwall and Derby

Exactly its more of the oh look its another club who have nothing more to sing about than the fact that we have a big asian community......it sums up the our club at the moment we have no songs about players, no excitement on the pitch to cheer on. So lets just sing a tiresome song that the opposition must hear every week.

Correction - it was in response to us being a small town in Wales.

And the only thing I can think of more embarrassing than singing it (if it was due to the large asian population) is the 3 other stands staying silent throughout the 90 mins, ZZZZzzzzz.

we all went to bar bs3 after 20 mins, your shout !

I logged back in because I feel quite strongly about this.

I was in the east end yesterday and sang that song. I don't feel any guilt for doing so either. I'm also half Welsh and am not offended by the small town in Wales jibe because thats exactly what it is a jibe a joke and I can take it. The likelyhood is most people from Leicester are more English than I am. Besides I see myself as British anyway so you can say I'm a hypocrite for singing it but not a racist/xenaphobe. Someone once told me that half of Bristol has Welsh roots, not sure how true that is and its another debate.

I'm not racist or xenaphobic or homophobic or hetrophobic or demophobic, but I want to be free to have a laugh. If I caused offence yesterday by singing it then I truely feel sorry that you took it completely the wrong way. At no point was I singing it with hate in my heart, and I'm sure I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but I actually find the concept of racism funny.

Funny because it is ridiculous that someone can be so hateful to someone else because of their place of birth and ethnic inheritance, skin colour or what they like doing - the joke is on the racist, I'm laughing at the racist for being such a narrow minded idiot. So I suppose I do get slightly offended when I get told that I'm not allowed to have a laugh. People are quick to assume that I sang that song in the context of hate rather than humour.

It could one day be the case that we are not allowed to joke about anything, our society will be one very miserable place then. By telling me I'm not allowed to have a laugh and a joke is in a roundabout way racist in itself. We have a very humourous culteral identity and to deny people of continuing that tradition is unfair.

On a social issue I suppose I am disappointed that Leicester is often categorised as having such a large Asian community rather than a very diverse British one. We were founded on the basis of a wide cultural mix and long may that continue, particulary as parts of the world such as India and Pakistan were once British colonies, these ethnicities are a massive part of my identity as a Brit and I am very very proud of it - not proud that some of my ancestors treated the indigenous population so badly but proud of their ancestors for swallowing their pride and feeling happy to now call themselves British.

As a side issue I am male but I do have the ability to multi-task. Yesterday I actually found myself singing and watching the game! We've lost a lot of our footballing heritage by not really being allowed to stand, please don't let it get any worse by denying us the right to have a bit of banter with opposing fans.

Please acknowledge my part in that song as good natured wit and nothing more, not aggrevated vbh and certainly not hate.

Thanks.

I logged back in because I feel quite strongly about this.

I was in the east end yesterday and sang that song. I don't feel any guilt for doing so either. I'm also half Welsh and am not offended by the small town in Wales jibe because thats exactly what it is a jibe a joke and I can take it. The likelyhood is most people from Leicester are more English than I am. Besides I see myself as British anyway so you can say I'm a hypocrite for singing it but not a racist/xenaphobe. Someone once told me that half of Bristol has Welsh roots, not sure how true that is and its another debate.

I'm not racist or xenaphobic or homophobic or hetrophobic or demophobic, but I want to be free to have a laugh. If I caused offence yesterday by singing it then I truely feel sorry that you took it completely the wrong way. At no point was I singing it with hate in my heart, and I'm sure I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here but I actually find the concept of racism funny.

Funny because it is ridiculous that someone can be so hateful to someone else because of their place of birth and ethnic inheritance, skin colour or what they like doing - the joke is on the racist, I'm laughing at the racist for being such a narrow minded idiot. So I suppose I do get slightly offended when I get told that I'm not allowed to have a laugh. People are quick to assume that I sang that song in the context of hate rather than humour.

It could one day be the case that we are not allowed to joke about anything, our society will be one very miserable place then. By telling me I'm not allowed to have a laugh and a joke is in a roundabout way racist in itself. We have a very humourous culteral identity and to deny people of continuing that tradition is unfair.

On a social issue I suppose I am disappointed that Leicester is often categorised as having such a large Asian community rather than a very diverse British one. We were founded on the basis of a wide cultural mix and long may that continue, particulary as parts of the world such as India and Pakistan were once British colonies, these ethnicities are a massive part of my identity as a Brit and I am very very proud of it - not proud that some of my ancestors treated the indigenous population so badly but proud of their ancestors for swallowing their pride and feeling happy to now call themselves British.

As a side issue I am male but I do have the ability to multi-task. Yesterday I actually found myself singing and watching the game! We've lost a lot of our footballing heritage by not really being allowed to stand, please don't let it get any worse by denying us the right to have a bit of banter with opposing fans.

Please acknowledge my part in that song as good natured wit and nothing more, not aggrevated vbh and certainly not hate.

Thanks.

If I was as articulate as you I would have written something like this

Another Leicester fan here boys and girls. The majority of us have no real gripes with that type of banter, especially as it inspires us to give a load back- you might get a vocal minority of us wailing about how terrible it is, and the same ones going on at length on messageboards/moan-ins about it but really we're not all that bothered. The demographic make up of our support doesn't in any way reflect that of our city, and isn't likely to any time soon. I somehow think we can cope with that...

Good luck anyway, be nice to see a club like yours doing well- all the best.

Another Leicester fan.

Everything's been covered really, its not banter, its a poor excuse of a 'witty' song. We have it from a lot of clubs, and you're by far not the worst. It is Xenophobic though.

I did join up to make 1 comment though;

Leicester fans were the most arrogant bunch of sods ever to come to AG. They really think they're the business when really they are nothing! Bunch of tossers.

2-0 and 0-4, cheers for the 6 points lads.

Archived