IGNORED

Ivan Sproule On Sky Sports 2

The Saturday Boy

I’ve been watching the match and Ivan looks quite good at this level. I think this illustrates one of the problems we had when Del was manager. He knew players who were good in the SPL and assumed they would do well in the championship. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case – i.e. Foster, Wilson, Morris

I’ve been watching the match and Ivan looks quite good at this level. I think this illustrates one of the problems we had when Del was manager. He knew players who were good in the SPL and assumed they would do well in the championship. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case – i.e. Foster, Wilson, Morris

Pearson?

At the risk of being accused of racism and xenophobia by the usual suspects, the SPL is total carp, bar Celtic, of course...

I always laugh when I read the disparaging comments about the SPL. That was two of the worst SPL teams on show and managed to put on a better game than most of the championship games I've seen this season. The championship is a poorer standard aside from perhaps the top 3 teams and even those are a million miles away from Celtic.

People in glass houses etc. You will only be too aware having watched city for the last 2 years the standard you are playing at.

I always laugh when I read the disparaging comments about the SPL. That was two of the worst SPL teams on show and managed to put on a better game than most of the championship games I've seen this season. The championship is a poorer standard aside from perhaps the top 3 teams and even those are a million miles away from Celtic.

People in glass houses etc. You will only be too aware having watched city for the last 2 years the standard you are playing at.

Ivan Sproule just scored 1/3 of the goals he scored in 119 games for us, in one match over there, any game in which Ivan Sproule scores 2 can't be of a decent standard.

Ivan Sproule just scored 1/3 of the goals he scored in 119 games for us, in one match over there, any game in which Ivan Sproule scores 2 can't be of a decent standard.

Paul Hartley was awful for us for 2 seasons in Scottish division 1 yet is revered as some sort of hero here. Schoolground logic doesn't work.

I always laugh when I read the disparaging comments about the SPL. That was two of the worst SPL teams on show and managed to put on a better game than most of the championship games I've seen this season. The championship is a poorer standard aside from perhaps the top 3 teams and even those are a million miles away from celtic.

No, no. no.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful to scottish football, but if you really believe that then you're living in a dream world.

The championship might not compete with Celtic (and Rangers when they're there), but it's three strength in depth where it wins hands down every time.

For a start there are twice as many teams. Forgetting the big two for now, which are an anomaly if we're honest, I'd go as far as to suggest that only the top 2 or 3 teams would survive in the championship.

I'm not having a dig, but Scotland just doesn't have the population to support a very strong league.

I'm not having a dig, but Scotland just doesn't have the population to support a very strong league.

I read that when Peterhead, Elgin & Ross County etc were admitted into the Scottish League that caused problems further own the chain. In Scotland there is no pyramid as in England. The Highland League needed to admit new teams to replace those who had moved into the League and the best on offer really watered down the competitiveness of the Highland League. As for the population, in their last year before moving into the Scottish League, Ross were away in the cup to Arbroath and the crowd was 7,000. Ross play at Dingwall which has a population of just 4,500. It may have taken Ross and many other teams by surprise to see them reach the SPL, but they are holding their own and obviously have ambitions as-

Ross County confirmed the signing of 25 year old defender Evangelos Ikonomou from Greek Superleague Club Atromitos.

Back on topic; it seemed the only way Ivan could be stopped was by fouling him.

On the showing from that match, Ross's striker Richard Brittain looked decent, but going by some of the comments above, that means nothing.

Paul Hartley for the time he was here was a pleasure to watch in midfield. You could see he was a class above the rest of our players. Shame he didn't stay hopefully Kelly by the sounds of him will be near or as good fingers crossed. i still cant understand why play Taylor up front on his own? for some unknown reason likes of Baldock and Davies are not getting in the team or even making the bench? Stead has the experience and better understanding of a lone striker why is Taylor in before Stead hmmm

He has a habit if score when he gets to a new club and then it starts to go down hill, Scottish football is his level

Another derogatory comment. As though you are playing at some ridiculously high level of football? I at least have the advantage of watching SPL, Championship and Permiership football (being a Blackburn Rovers fan as well as St Johnstone) and I can assure you the SPL is not a level below the Championship (except Dundee, who are Blue Square).

Have a wee look at some of these clips from the weekend:

Nigel Hasslebaink scoring a great team goal for St Johnstone:

Gary Mackay-Steven showing a suepr piece of individual brilliance

After signing a pre-contract with St Johnstone, Richard Brittain scores a beauty for Ross County:

Few others:

The SPL is nowhere near as bad as you make out.

Archived