IGNORED

Louis Carey Quote

Kid in the Riot

Finding this a bit bizarre to be honest.

Louis Carey has been a good professional for Bristol City as far as I can see. If you've played over 600 games of professional football you've done very well for yourself and would have played under many Manager's who saw fit to include you in their first team. Louis Carey and Mickey Bell are the only pro's associated with Bristol City I know of in recent memory who have managed 600 professional games.

OK so he wasn't good enough to play in the Premiership - like most players who have represented Bristol City over the years but I can't say he has ever lacked passion, effort, commitment and desire when wearing the shirt. He's broken bones and spilt blood a few times wearing the shirt which is what is expected of a pro defender. He's had a few bad games and a lot more good ones too in that period. I thought he was immense in the season we reached the play off final at Wembley.

If McInnes offered him a contract and you think it wasn't warranted then who is at fault for that? If you were Louis Carey would you turn the contract down on the basis that a few posters on OTIB think you're a waster and don't think you should be at the club? My view is that had McInnes played Carey more this season we might have gained one or two more points. Interesting that SOD stuck him straight in the line up last Saturday. Then again perhaps he doesn't have a clue either?!!

Just as an aside all EMB seems to do is make attacks on the intelligence and attitude of most/90% of footballers full stop. Would be interested to know what basis those attacks are made. Does he/she personally know "most" footballers?

Regardless of what you may or may not think about Carey's attitude and relationship with previous managers, I have little doubt that some of the players may well have learned some new approaches and techniques in the last week that they wouldn't have heard of before: you just have to read O'Driscoll talking about the way he approaches coaching and you realize that he is not your typical coach/manager/whatever.

"If you have just made a pass, don't just stand there, move." - A 36 year old pro footballer has just learned this ??? God help us...

What do you think?

He's only played 600 games of pro football so what do you sensibly think he would know about the game?

The problem when you cherry pick comments is that they get taken out of context. Which is exactly why journalists do it!!

We agree on a lot more than we dsagree Robbored,just as I agree more than disagree, with most established posters on here.

I never saw Atyeo play sadly, but I do know that for me, very very few Bristol born City players are anywhere remotely the overused word "legend"

Most are just squad fillers who either bail out, or just join the cosy comfort zone and stay with it, like like so many others on our books over the years.

For me our legends are the League 1 prmotion side, and the likes of Royle, Hunter, Bob Taylor, the Goat, The Chief, Jacki, Micky Bell, Ago, Brennan, Tinman, Waugh, Scotty, & Shaun Taylor,rather than the newer players and the Bristolian players.

I have doubtless missed some legends among that list, for which I apologize...

The only modern era player who may even get close is Bradley Orr, and thats unlikely..

The goat? Ago? Brennan? Taylor? All legends but Louis not?

**** I.

We agree on a lot more than we dsagree Robbored,just as I agree more than disagree, with most established posters on here.

I never saw Atyeo play sadly, but I do know that for me, very very few Bristol born City players are anywhere remotely the overused word "legend"

Most are just squad fillers who either bail out, or just join the cosy comfort zone and stay with it, like like so many others on our books over the years.

For me our legends are the League 1 prmotion side, and the likes of Royle, Hunter, Bob Taylor, the Goat, The Chief, Jacki, Micky Bell, Ago, Brennan, Tinman, Waugh, Scotty, & Shaun Taylor,rather than the newer players and the Bristolian players.

The only modern era player who may even get close is Bradley Orr, and thats unlikely..

Agostino bailed out didn't he ? As I recall he let his contract run out and walked away on a free.

Just summat to chuck into this entire conversation. A LOT of people think Carey is Mr Bristol City.

just as the likes of Tommy Doc, Danny Coles..

Carey has been a City player under Ward, Benny, Penis, Fawthrope/Rosenior, Wilson, Tinman, GJ, Coppell, Millen, McInnes and now SOD. Defensively over the years we have been shambolic, just as much as we have been in midfield, and attack. Carey has been a more or less fixture throughout..Is he REALLY saying the dismal performances over the entire span of his City services are entirely down to the managers. I have seen him play shite under all the managers concerned bar Fawthrope/Rosenior.

Also alluding to Carey (and Doc/Coles) why is it only Bristol born players are truly committed to the club??? Some players, REGARDLESS of birthplace. Scott Murray anyone?, Tinman as a player?, Mickey Bell? are...

Over the years on this forum some players are regarded as untouchable, while many many others get absolutely trashed, rightly and wrongly because they are Taffs/Jocks/overpaid superstars/past donkies, when in fact they are rarely as bad as painted. I can remember the likes of Docherty and Coles when anyone had the temerity to attack them ,getting slaughtered by the forum gang.

As it goes if McAllister was past it and released, Carey falls into the same category,and should have gone. And he should have been joined by a substantial number of the squad last summer. Del made that fateful mistake and it cost him, let us hope SOD has the balls to **** them off this summer..

You're back on top form today Bucks. :clap:

At least Carey's learning process under SO'D will surely be quickly curtailed as the Summer sees his long overdue departure from the club.

Didn't "Scotty" go to Reading to earn more money and further his career in the same way that Carey went to Coventry before coming back?

Didn't Taylor, The Goat, Brennan and Ago leave the club to better themselves? As another poster said the "legend" that is Ago even ran his contract down Maynard style.

And from memory Royle and Hunter were with the club for about 25 minutes!!

Louis Carey has been a good professional for Bristol City as far as I can see. If you've played over 600 games of professional football you've done very well for yourself and would have played under many Manager's who saw fit to include you in their first team. Louis Carey and Mickey Bell are the only pro's associated with Bristol City I know of in recent memory who have managed 600 professional games.

OK so he wasn't good enough to play in the Premiership - like most players who have represented Bristol City over the years but I can't say he has ever lacked passion, effort, commitment and desire when wearing the shirt. He's broken bones and spilt blood a few times wearing the shirt which is what is expected of a pro defender. He's had a few bad games and a lot more good ones too in that period. I thought he was immense in the season we reached the play off final at Wembley.

If McInnes offered him a contract and you think it wasn't warranted then who is at fault for that? If you were Louis Carey would you turn the contract down on the basis that a few posters on OTIB think you're a waster and don't think you should be at the club? My view is that had McInnes played Carey more this season we might have gained one or two more points. Interesting that SOD stuck him straight in the line up last Saturday. Then again perhaps he doesn't have a clue either?!!

Who else was there?

McManus had gone back and Bates was ill.

You're back on top form today Bucks. :clap:

At least Carey's learning process under SO'D will surely be quickly curtailed as the Summer sees his long overdue departure from the club.

Nothing wrong with holding that opinion but it is not Carey's fault that Managers have seen fit to extend his stay at the club. And I think that most supporters would be more than willing to acknowledge Louis for his efforts when he does leave the club.

Nothing wrong with holding that opinion but it is not Carey's fault that Managers have seen fit to extend his stay at the club. And I think that most supporters would be more than willing to acknowledge Louis for his efforts when he does leave the club.

No doubt , in 10 years time , Carey will hold the same legendary status as some of those mentioned by Bucksred.

I mean , if Wayne Allison is now considered a legend , Louis is bound to fall into that category.

Didn't "Scotty" go to Reading to earn more money and further his career in the same way that Carey went to Coventry before coming back?

Didn't Taylor, The Goat, Brennan and Ago leave the club to better themselves? As another poster said the "legend" that is Ago even ran his contract down Maynard style.

And from memory Royle and Hunter were with the club for about 25 minutes!!

In my eyes there is one stand out legend that I saw play. Gerry Gow. No player since has come anywhere close to him imo.

If I had to choose a distant second legend it would be Scot Murray. Much further behind in third would be Sean Taylor. Taylor like Carey wasn't a great player but he was a colossus and natural leader on the pitch and ( importantly ) almost as hard as Gerry Gow.

In my eyes there is one stand out legend that I saw play. Gerry Gow. No player since has come anywhere close to him imo.

If I had to choose a distant second legend it would be Scot Murray. Much further behind in third would be Sean Taylor. Taylor like Carey wasn't a great player but he was a colossus and natural leader on the pitch and ( importantly ) almost as hard as Gerry Gow.

Gerry Gow was a quality player, no doubt, who could get into our current midfield playing left foot only!! And he was with the club long enough to be considered a legend, no doubt about it.

When you have seen Gerry Gow "running" a midfield, and doing it against proper players too, it is very hard to get excited by "sideways" Skuse I'm afraid!!

Sorry but for me, it looks as if yet again, these players have cost a man his job. I find it to much of a coincidence that these players, for the last three managers (not including Coppell), have had a spell where they look like they could not even compete at a Sunday level. At the end of Johnsons, Millens and Dels reign...they were playing like they did not care.

Similar quotes were coming out this time 13 months ago when McInnes took charge.....I can remember quotes about the training being a "different class". Two face back stabbing when things arnt going certain individuals ways....not to mentioning kissing the new bosses ass. I take them with a pinch of salt and a word or warning to SOD..."watch your back"

quite right-also remember player comments post Dels arrival re;training methods being a "breath of fresh air"and much tougher than under Millen..change the record.

If you take the quote above on it's own then yes Louis appears to have taken one hell of a swipe at the previous manager. However if you read the entire article on the post website he is actually talking about the ways in which O'Driscoll is rather unique in how he manages (coaches) a football team.

"Sean O'Driscoll is totally different from anyone I have worked with before.

"I work on a lot of the mental aspects of playing sportlb_icon1.png myself these days and he has come in and stressed the importance of paying attention, learning and taking things on board.

"He has shown us a different way of looking at football, something I don't think any of us have experienced before.

"As an approach to the game, it is intriguing and very different and it could help us get out of trouble this season.

"He encourages you to think differently about things and there are things that happen in a game that he would interpret differently from anyone else.

"It is a different angle and something the lads should all be open to. It is not so much about what you do as how you think about the game."

As always you need to take any quotes from players about a new manager with a pinch of salt, but these quotes from Carey today do more to confirm what we already know in that SO'D has a rather different aproach in the way he coaches a team than they do in criticising McInnes.

However I wouldn't want to get in the way of the 'Louis Carey holds too much weight in the dressing room' rumours as some clearly have so much fun dealing in them.

Sounds to me like once again the players are trying to distance themselves from any repsonsibility for this season's disasters out on the pitch.

I'm intrigued that SOD is "different from anyone I've worked with before" according to Louis, "because he stressed the importance of paying attention, listening and taking things on board". For the money these guys are being paid is he honestly saying that they need a manger to point out that these thjings are important?

It's good to read that SOD has shown them a different way of looking at football - hopefully that will be the one where we stop the other team scoring.

I am pretty certain that McInnes did not help his own cause by some increasingly strange selections. However, the cynic in me can't help wondering about the coincidence that all our recent managers seem to have encountered almost exactly the same problems. Also, when the newmanager is appointed the players them come out to say how refreshing/different/breath of fresh air he is, until they repeat the same platitudes on the appointment of that manager's replacement.

There has been something fundementally wrong at the club for far to long, in my opinion. I don't know what it is but I don't think it's just down to the managers we have appointed.

No doubt , in 10 years time , Carey will hold the same legendary status as some of those mentioned by Bucksred.

I mean , if Wayne Allison is now considered a legend , Louis is bound to fall into that category.

Apparently not, as according to Bucksred anyone who comes from Bristol is shyte at football and only at this club because of "sentiment". :rofl2br:

Just as an aside all EMB seems to do is make attacks on the intelligence and attitude of most/90% of footballers full stop. Would be interested to know what basis those attacks are made. Does he/she personally know "most" footballers?

I take it all back they are wonderful, level headed individuals, who play football for the love of the game and only a secondary interest in money and how they actually earn that money.

PS:- I see the wonderful Nile Ranger is in trouble again today and he cannot understand why Newcastle fans boo him.

Edit:- and just to be clear here my 90% comment was on the Hazard thread and not this one, I have no problem with Louis, great loyal and reliable player.

I BELIEVE, on 23 Jan 2013 - 23:04, said:snapback.png

Not defending Hazard in anyway but 90% of footballers would have done the same thing in same situation. Wrong but probably true. Mr Wendall summed it up perfectly

Totally agree with most of what you say Pete but I can't say he is a legend.Despite the number of appearances what has he actually achieved at the club.No international caps, no lengthy cup runs and no games in the top division.You can't put him alongside Wedlock,Atyeo,Gow etc ?

Being a legend doesn't necessarily have anything to do with those things, Carey is a legend because of his individual commitment... Forest away last season if you're scratching your head

Quite frankly I am sickened by yet more unwarranted attacks on Louis' character from those whose respect he has so plainly earned over his 600+ appearances for the club. Yes of course we can all remember some (well 2 anyway) sub-standard performances towards the end of Johnson's reign, but even if it was 22, 52 or 102 they would still pale into insignificance when compared to the rest. Did he play a part in Johnson's departure? quite possibly but GJ's time was up anyway and some might say it is part of the Captain's role to represent the players when relationships break down. In any event I am reminded of the following from Hopegood and Hudson's excellent biography of the Big Man:

"... in retrospect, should the club have expected more from him? Should he have grasped his colleagues by the scruff of their necks, banged their heads together and ordered them to battle as one for the sake of Bristol City Football Club? ... 'he was a team man, not a leader of men... he was not the one to be urging them on a bad Tuesday night at Bradford City'" - page 145

and more tellingly:

"The morning Doherty went, John Ayteo drove into the car park with his horn blaring... 'Well, we got you in the end,' said Ayteo, and he would tell the tale for the rest of his days, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it did not cast the most kind light on his legendary loyalty to the Bristol City cause." - page 147

Quite rightly this episode can be overlooked in the light of his incredible, never to be repeated, contribution - BUT perhaps (whatever the truth might be) we could afford similar generosity to Louis Carey now.

Quite frankly I am sickened by yet more unwarranted attacks on Louis' character from those whose respect he has so plainly earned over his 600+ appearances for the club. Yes of course we can all remember some (well 2 anyway) sub-standard performances towards the end of Johnson's reign, but even if it was 22, 52 or 102 they would still pale into insignificance when compared to the rest. Did he play a part in Johnson's departure? quite possibly but GJ's time was up anyway and some might say it is part of the Captain's role to represent the players when relationships break down. In any event I am reminded of the following from Hopegood and Hudson's excellent biography of the Big Man:

"... in retrospect, should the club have expected more from him? Should he have grasped his colleagues by the scruff of their necks, banged their heads together and ordered them to battle as one for the sake of Bristol City Football Club? ... 'he was a team man, not a leader of men... he was not the one to be urging them on a bad Tuesday night at Bradford City'" - page 145

and more tellingly:

"The morning Doherty went, John Ayteo drove into the car park with his horn blaring... 'Well, we got you in the end,' said Ayteo, and he would tell the tale for the rest of his days, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it did not cast the most kind light on his legendary loyalty to the Bristol City cause." - page 147

Quite rightly this episode can be overlooked in the light of his incredible, never to be repeated, contribution - BUT perhaps (whatever the truth might be) we could afford similar generosity to Louis Carey now.

And a hell of a lot of City fans at the time would have applauded Big John's celebrartion over Doherty's sacking. The worst mananger we ever had, including T*ny P**is :grr:

and more tellingly:

How can such a man possibly considered a legend? "We got you in the end"? I thought modern footballers were scum in comparison to the true gentlemen of generations past?

As a side note, I don't give a flyer, just love the hypocrisy this post has highlighted. If a modern day player did that, and the boasted about it, god... Can you imagine the uproar?

Archived