IGNORED

How To Start The Atmosphere

BristolBEAT

What the hell has this got to do with culture, you all support BCFC.......end of.

Does everyone have to wear Dr Martens, a white coat & have a scarf around their wrist?.

This is part of the problem, the old uns who got the EE opened up again, seem to want everyone to follow their lead, there has to be a bit of give & take between the 2 groups or you will never get the EE back to how it used to be.

BCAGFC

In years past fans would head to the area of terraces inhabited by their peers.

Butchers coat or Crombie, shirter or ? There has always been differences around fans. For some the right trainers/label was as interesting as the football.

As a self confessed former leader of fans, and somebody who claims to be street savvy I would have expected you to understand how culture affects fans.

The dolman is hardly going to join in with the forza east end chants or the thatchers gold song. It's not really a surprise that the loudest songs are 'come on you reds' and 'and it's Bristol city...'.

We are also bottom of the league and have been in a relegation fight for 3/4 years. If we do well, we will sing. As proved by the loud songs from dolman after our winner! East End sing throughout and that's to be commended, but the other stands aren't going to join in unless there's reason to - that's surely to be expected?

The dolman is hardly going to join in with the forza east end chants or the thatchers gold song. It's not really a surprise that the loudest songs are 'come on you reds' and 'and it's Bristol city...'. We are also bottom of the league and have been in a relegation fight for 3/4 years. If we do well, we will sing. As proved by the loud songs from dolman after our winner! East End sing throughout and that's to be commended, but the other stands aren't going to join in unless there's reason to - that's surely to be expected?
How to start an atmosphere....1) stop worrying about what others are doing 2) sing a song
Both of these are spot on. It's great having the east end. I would struggle to attend if I had to sit in one of the other 3 stands as its just boring having to sit in silence for an hour an half, but we do have the east end and it will naturally grow. We are all over analysing things. The atyeo, Williams and dolman don't stand and sing songs, the east end does, that's fair enough.

How to start an atmosphere....1) stop worrying about what others are doing 2) sing a song
Unless you are constantly told to sit down in the Dolman. If you ignore this. the stewards act as the clubs hands and tell you to sit down. Best way to generate atmosphere is to build slowly drill it into people's head when it's time to stand. Club first.. Score a goal start to bounce. Eastend once a game maybe a certain minute get the whole ground to stand and bounce! - BRILLIANT IDEA!!

Unless you are constantly told to sit down in the Dolman. If you ignore this. the stewards act as the clubs hands and tell you to sit down. Best way to generate atmosphere is to build slowly drill it into people's head when it's time to stand. Club first.. Score a goal start to bounce. Eastend once a game maybe a certain minute get the whole ground to stand and bounce! - BRILLIANT IDEA!!

Well every one around me seems to be on their mobiles texting every minute of the game so they would be able to syncronize and move at the same time :facepalm: .

I don't care if no one joins in with me, I was the one giving the Give me a C ...I.... T... Y if people don't join in I try again. Simples... I lost my voice yesterday

Unfair comments. Wonder wether we all support the same team sometimes. If we put as much effort into singing as we did slagging each other off we might be half decent.

Well said, I sit in the Atyeo and can confirm there are NO prawn sandwiches on sale. However I do like to bring my own picnic with some Pimm's and roated swan butties...

Instead of the pointless bitching about which stand is most passionate (or which demographic within the EE is) lets just get on with supporting the team?

I like a bit of leg room, its a better view and a shorter walk home for me...nothing more, nothing less.

Time the club delegated out areas. Say the EE, and 1 block in the other 3 be deemed 'singing blocks' . Fill them out each week, assign each a few leaders to lead them in songs, and if there are songs in all 4 stands, others will join. Mob tactics effectivly. Heck, give leaders walkie talkies to help organise stuff during the game, each with their own display. Flags in the EE, a surfer in the Ateyo, scarfs aloft in the dolman and walking sticks in the air in the williams (I jest).

Time the club delegated out areas. Say the EE, and 1 block in the other 3 be deemed 'singing blocks' . Fill them out each week, assign each a few leaders to lead them in songs, and if there are songs in all 4 stands, others will join. Mob tactics effectivly. Heck, give leaders walkie talkies to help organise stuff during the game, each with their own display. Flags in the EE, a surfer in the Ateyo, scarfs aloft in the dolman and walking sticks in the air in the williams (I jest).

100% agree and behind this sort of idea. Applaud the opinion and idea!

If this can be done at an Under 11 game then think what could be done in the EE. All it needs is imaginary/original, sensible and more importantly desire to be done and conducted.

The older generation at the gate know what a good atmosphere is all about, youngsters of today have not got a clue.

BCFC ruined the feeling of supporting your team when they built the Ateyo.

The East End was the main support of the team, when they got going other parts of the ground followed.

The East End consisted of the older generation, the current and the ones coming through.

After the East End was killed off, there was no more home end.

The Ateyo will never be the EAST END, the home of the City atmosphere!

The older generation at the gate know what a good atmosphere is all about, youngsters of today have not got a clue.

BCFC ruined the feeling of supporting your team when they built the Ateyo.

The East End was the main support of the team, when they got going other parts of the ground followed.

The East End consisted of the older generation, the current and the ones coming through.

After the East End was killed off, there was no more home end.

The Ateyo will never be the EAST END, the home of the City atmosphere!

RED : More than understand your opinion in response to the 'younger' city generation coming through as time and time again i see plenty of the 'macho' behaviour like goading the away fans and acting the big one to even other city fans. But as a younger face compared to you guys (20 years old) who are die hards etc i have to say that we may very well not act, look or seem the same as when your generation were younger but that's because of the time and society changes in football. No longer can younger fans get into 'mobs' and groups to aspire to become part of the old boys group when there older, no longer are classic atmosphere changers aloud or even around in the EE like the band and drums that many have spoke of.

I cringe and feel disheartened everytime i see the lads by the away supporters who try to act hard etc but the one thing i can applaud them on is there desire to get behind the team and try to start an atmosphere. Countless times has the EE been silent and the only ounce of passion or positiveness has been from pockets of younger City fans whilst the old boys stand and complain/moan. (which is a right you have and many a time have i been in this position)

But we'd all love to experience the same EE atmosphere as you did whilst growing up and before it was taken away and the Atyeo built etc, but the truth is it will never get to that level again due to laws, guidlines, stewarding and everything else that is ruining the fans game. But one thing for sure is that in the EE and many other parts of the ground myself and other younger city fans have passion and desire to bring just even an ounce of that atmosphere back to the EE, and we need help and encouragement from those around us including YOU and the older generation. Together is the only way we can go forward with igniting the EE atmosphere once again. Lead the way . . .

Good ideas here - i like these!

It has been proved around the country that the 'american style' gets crowds going before & during games but some BCFC fans want to keep it a library.

BCAGFC

These cauldrons you speak of in the championship, where are they?

The atmosphere of Oakwell, Portman road, St Andrews and fortress Vicarage road is like being hit by an enormous door slamming in the depths of hell.

It has been proved around the country that the 'american style' gets crowds going before & during games but some BCFC fans want to keep it a library.

The EE has vocally been extremely poor over the last 2 seasons (except for a few big games) but when an idea is put forward to improve the atmosphere of the whole ground, all we get is "we want to create our own atmosphere".....well that isn't working boys and girls.

Football has changed and supporters have changed, not neccessarily for the better but things have changed.

BCAGFC

As a serial sceptic of fans activities, perhaps you would like to put foward your detailed ideas on how "Americanism's" can be used to improve the atmosphere at Ashton Gate.

The EE has vocally been extremely poor over the last 2 seasons (except for a few big games) but when an idea is put forward to improve the atmosphere of the whole ground, all we get is "we want to create our own atmosphere".....well that isn't working boys and girls.

Football has changed and supporters have changed, not neccessarily for the better but things have changed.

BCAGFC

Do you actually go to away games? However poor you may think it is, Ashton Gate and specifically the EE has one of the best atmospheres in this league and away fans often comment on that.

Palace is always good as well and what do both sets of fans have in common? Looking to the Ultras for inspiration, not f*cking America.

I went to a basketball game in Dallas a couple of years ago and I couldn't believe how contrived the "atmosphere" was - rock band in the corner striking up at every timeout, bloke in a gorilla suit firing T-shirts from a pop gun into the crowd during the game, model plane dropping gifts on the crowd during the game etc etc. But the one that made me laugh out loud was when the home crowd behind the basket waved pieces of white paper to put off the opposition going for a score. Not many were overly interested in the game itself with half the crowd on the move getting grub throughout the game.

Also went to American Football and Baseball games at different times and it was much the same.

We have absolutely nothing to learn from them - different culture and the opposite of what we would call atmosphere. Its crap.

I know the idea is lame but this looks like quite a good atmosphere imo

Do you actually go to away games? However poor you may think it is, Ashton Gate and specifically the EE has one of the best atmospheres in this league and away fans often comment on that.

Palace is always good as well and what do both sets of fans have in common? Looking to the Ultras for inspiration, not f*cking America.

Its proven mind so he will be taking a sound meter to away games. Bang on ashton gate is one of the better grounds for atmsophere because of its lack of copying the nfl.

I went to a basketball game in Dallas a couple of years ago and I couldn't believe how contrived the "atmosphere" was - rock band in the corner striking up at every timeout, bloke in a gorilla suit firing T-shirts from a pop gun into the crowd during the game, model plane dropping gifts on the crowd during the game etc etc. But the one that made me laugh out loud was when the home crowd behind the basket waved pieces of white paper to put off the opposition going for a score. Not many were overly interested in the game itself with half the crowd on the move getting grub throughout the game.

Also went to American Football and Baseball games at different times and it was much the same.

We have absolutely nothing to learn from them - different culture and the opposite of what we would call atmosphere. Its crap.

When I was in the States in 2009 and told people I was a 'soccer fan' from England they absolutely loved it and were very jealous of the atmosphere created at English football grounds!

Archived