IGNORED

Liam Kelly Thread....that Morphs Into The Cole Skuse Thread

Ashton Great

Emergencies? I'm guessing the 30+ games he started in the promotion season never happened?

He didn't play the following season, no part due to the signing of Elliott then Carle who were very Impressive, plus of course 'his boy'

Following 2 seasons he played 30+ each in each season? But hey....

That's 100 games plus over 3 seasons which we had emgeriences was it?

Player of the season since then... Won by accident no doubt

The fact you completely ignore his defensive midfielder qualities sums up your lack of eye for a player, pace, acceleration, one of the best tacklers at, is never going to score lots of goals, but don't expect him to.

The amount of manager who have selected him on a regular basis sums it up for me, more so than any small-minded so called fan, very much a anti-local lad mentality on here.

Yes, he played a large part in our promotion side when we were a L1 side.....his level!

Yes, i agree when we improved our midfield (Elliot Carle as you say)....he was dropped.....we made the play-offs!

Since then he's been a regular.....we've regularly been fighting a relegation battle!

Player of the season....voted by those who vote.....not by those that know!

Cisse had defensive qualities, and was a large reason (with Bikey) why we avoided the drop last season......Skuse's defensive qualities...we'll just look at the table and there's your answer.

The fact that Keef and Del picked him on a reular basis means nothing....they were both sacked for doing so!

Once more and sadly, a positive thread, this time regarding our new young midfielder has gone off-piste and descended into a sustained bashing of one our own players. Like sharks sensing blood in the water, all of those in the anti-Skuse lobby have hijacked the subject of the OP and turned it around to suit their own end. Well done.

Perhaps you should start a thread indicating once and for all time how much you really, really don't like Skuse (although the rest of us are in no doubt regarding your view because we've seen it so many damn times now?. That way we can choose whether or not to read it.

I was glad when LJ left, not because I disliked him as a player or as an individual but because he polarised opinion on OTIB and seldom in a way that made enjoyable reading. Vitriol was spouted between the same posters over and over. Now we're back to the future and Skuse is the subject. When he goes, who will be next I wonder?

My personal view of Skuse? He's a City player, I'm a supporter. It's his job to do the job the manager of the day asks him to do and it's my role to support him. That's the way I prefer things to be. I have no agenda with any player, manager or representative of Bristol City. I like some more than others but I prefer to keep the target of my acerbity at the opposition and the Gas - not my own.

(BTW I'm aware that this is a forum ... everyone's entitled to an opinion etc so please spare me that riposte!)

• Admin

No they didn't, that's just fantasy. Nobody has ever made a serious enquiry for Skuse.

By serious enquiry I mean genuine interest leading to a bid, which has never happened.

Anything else is nothing but baseless rumour.

OK, was it not true that he was on the verge of leaving City prior to the Leicester game but when another team approached him the original move was put on hold ?

McInnes had told Skuse he had no future at the club, so to find a new club?

McInnes gets fired, so all deals are now off?

Just wondered if any of the above was fact or fiction?

The amount of manager who have selected him on a regular basis sums it up for me, more so than any small-minded so called fan, very much a anti-local lad mentality on here.

That is a poor argument IMO as has been pointed out he has been a regular starter in a side that has been poor for what 3.5 years now?

And 3 out of the last 5 managers he's played under (Millen, McInnes and Coppell) can all be classed as failures at this club. So how is that backing up your point?

Once more and sadly, a positive thread, this time regarding our new young midfielder has gone off-piste and descended into a sustained bashing of one our own players. Like sharks sensing blood in the water, all of those in the anti-Skuse lobby have hijacked the subject of the OP and turned it around to suit their own end. Well done.

Perhaps you should start a thread indicating once and for all time how much you really, really don't like Skuse (although the rest of us are in no doubt regarding your view because we've seen it so many damn times now?. That way we can choose whether or not to read it.

I was glad when LJ left, not because I disliked him as a player or as an individual but because he polarised opinion on OTIB and seldom in a way that made enjoyable reading. Vitriol was spouted between the same posters over and over. Now we're back to the future and Skuse is the subject. When he goes, who will be next I wonder?

My personal view of Skuse? He's a City player, I'm a supporter. It's his job to do the job the manager of the day asks him to do and it's my role to support him. That's the way I prefer things to be. I have no agenda with any player, manager or representative of Bristol City. I like some more than others but I prefer to keep the target of my acerbity at the opposition and the Gas - not my own.

(BTW I'm aware that this is a forum ... everyone's entitled to an opinion etc so please spare me that riposte!)

Couldn't agree more. Skuse has bad games for City, I've also seen him have very good games for city but HE PLAYS FOR BRISTOL CITY. Perhaps the players wouldn't play with such fear at AG if people weren't more concerned with being right over their notion of a player being crap than with the teams performance. It's not the opinions I have a problem with, it's the terms in which they are expressed

What a hypocrite! You criticise the fact that a positive thread has gone off track, and go on yourself to post nothing about Liam Kelly!

You then have a go at the posters that are against Skuse, but not in favour of him.

I would love darling local boy Skuse to come good, but he's been average for far too long in my opinion. And because i support the club and want the best for my team i want us to bring in better! Liam Kelly, looks like he may be an improvement. I hope so!

What a hypocrite! You criticise the fact that a positive thread has gone off track, and go on yourself to post nothing about Liam Kelly!

You then have a go at the posters that are against Skuse, but not in favour of him.

I would love darling local boy Skuse to come good, but he's been average for far too long in my opinion. And because i support the club and want the best for my team i want us to bring in better! Liam Kelly, looks like he may be an improvement. I hope so!

Read post #3 on this thread where I give my views on Kelly. Not a hypocrite in any way. The OP ansked for a view and I stayed on topic.

I'm not having a go at the Skuse haters just in general at those who hijack threads and take them off at a tangent to suit their own agenda.

OK, was it not true that he was on the verge of leaving City prior to the Leicester game but when another team approached him the original move was put on hold ?

Absolutely no idea, are you asking me or telling me?

Read post #3 on this thread where I give my views on Kelly. Not a hypocrite in any way. The OP ansked for a view and I stayed on topic.

I'm not having a go at the Skuse haters just in general at those who hijack threads and take them off at a tangent to suit their own agenda.

No you didn't stay on topic read post #62.

Not entirely agree with you that this threads been hijacked, just people comparing Liam Kelly to Skuse....and going off on a slight tangent!

I believe our defensive frailties this season stem in part from our midfield making poor decisions, being uncomfortable on the ball, not being able to retain possession, hoofing it etc. Skuse imo has to take his share of the blame.....we need better. Hopefully Liam Kelly is?

No need for that phrase, this really is nothing to do with liking or disliking Skuse as a person - no doubt he's a good bloke - it's about his perceived contribution to the team.

At this particular time it's also very relevant to discuss him when we have a new signing to compete for his position and City have to consider whether to give him a new and improved contract.

Liam Kelly has looked good in the few games I've seen him but lets not get carried away and say he's our best midfielder when we have seen him on few occasions.

I personally think he will complement Skuse , I think in some retrospect since Cisse has gone Skuse hasn't really had a decent CM next to him . The surging runs made Skuse made end of last season was because he had a good CM with him , but most of this season has been sitting back trying to stop the leaks at the back. Where as if Kelly carries on his form I think these two could make a decent partnership and wouldn't be surprised for Skuse to get into some decent form.

Kelly looks to me like he will be a successful City player. He has a decent passing range, good engine, tackles well and isn't bad on the ball. I wonder if he has any set piece ability to his game and would be interested to see what he can do playing further forward and getting into the box.

Skuse is a player with very good all round technical ability who lacks the mentality (self belief?) to really influence games consistently. You occasionally see him kick it up a gear (three, four times a season) and excel but all too often he is content to be a passenger. He may well move to another Championship club but unless that mentality changes he will have a similarly nondescript time there.

I'd love him to figure out what the difference in performance is for him and switch it on here because he's a nice local guy who breaks the footballer stereotype, but unless he does we can do better and shouldn't be offering him a big pay rise.

No idea phantom.

You tell me - fact or fiction? :dunno:

Well if that were true then it appears to blow a hole in the arguement by some that Mcinnes rated him....He may well have played him however, with what he had available, he probably had little choice. And how can people say that Coppell picked him regularly? How many games was Coppell in charge? That brings it down to;

Johnson - played Skuse intermittently during his time in league one, successful promotion season and irregulalry when in championship, successful first season

Millen - played fairly regulalry, unsuccesful season, got sacked

Mcinness - played fairly regulary unsuccesful season, got sacked

This isn't obviously purely down to Skuse however, we are not competing well in the championship whilst Skuse is a regular member of the midfield, hence the reason every man and his dog has been screaming out for new midfielders over the past 3/4 years. As a squad player he is worth having around, experienced, versatile but as a regular in the championship....No, doesn't offer enough.

And if he has been stalling on a signing a contract due to money then we should be telling him to do one.

As for Kelly, my thoughts......too early to tell especially the madhouse situation he was brought into but from what I have seen.......nothing spectacular at present but tidy, energetic, aggresive, right age and time to develop......a bit like Kilkenny being the new but better LJ, Kelly could and should be the new but better skuse

Well if that were true then it appears to blow a hole in the arguement by some that Mcinnes rated him....He may well have played him however, with what he had available, he probably had little choice. And how can people say that Coppell picked him regularly? How many games was Coppell in charge? That brings it down to;

Johnson - played Skuse intermittently during his time in league one, successful promotion season and irregulalry when in championship, successful first season

Millen - played fairly regulalry, unsuccesful season, got sacked

Mcinness - played fairly regulary unsuccesful season, got sacked

This isn't obviously purely down to Skuse however, we are not competing well in the championship whilst Skuse is a regular member of the midfield, hence the reason every man and his dog has been screaming out for new midfielders over the past 3/4 years. As a squad player he is worth having around, experienced, versatile but as a regular in the championship....No, doesn't offer enough.

And if he has been stalling on a signing a contract due to money then we should be telling him to do one.

As for Kelly, my thoughts......too early to tell especially the madhouse situation he was brought into but from what I have seen.......nothing spectacular at present but tidy, energetic, aggresive, right age and time to develop......a bit like Kilkenny being the new but better LJ, Kelly could and should be the new but better skuse

Good post.

On the Jon Lansdown thread Nibor mentions he thinks Skuse 'has a final offer on the table he doesn't like, so is likely to leave',

If he does leave it will be interesting to see the calibre of clubs who show an interest in signing him.

Haven't they know that for sure, Reading (Coppell) & Charlton (curbishley) all made serious enquires but never happened, Holloway wanted him at Leicester and wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at Palace if we went down.

Based on your views of both Carey and Skuse, your very anti-bristolian.

Zzzzzzzzzz

Good post.

On the Jon Lansdown thread Nibor mentions he thinks Skuse 'has a final offer on the table he doesn't like, so is likely to leave',

If he does leave it will be interesting to see the calibre of clubs who show an interest in signing him.

I'm a Skuse fan, but I think he needs to move on to be honest- step outside his comfort zone, etc. I have no doubt he'll get a Championship team to pick him up, whether he then establishes himself will be down to him fulfilling the potential he showed that even me, as a Skuse fan, can't argue he's reached

I said after his debut against Leicester, that it was unfair to judge Kelly on that performance, which actually was down to the defence mostly - McManus, Fonts, Wilson and Foster were all awful that day and couldnt hold the line or deal with Nugent's strength on the ball. Yes their number 7 had the freedom of AG in front of the defence- but Kelly was not playing the deep role. He did lose possession a lot and looked nervous on the ball, but that appeared to be partly down to no-one showing for him- which led to a growing lack of confidence. Against Ipswich, he made the most positive contribution to a poor first half, with a great run down the right. In the second was a major part in a very good team performance. On saturday he did the 'ugly' part of the game (stopping the opposition playing) very well. As with any player - being on a winning team has made him look better - but then being in a very poor one on his debut made him look worse.

On the whole a useful signing - especially with Skuse and Elliot both being prone to injury.

Marvin was re-born on Tuesday - its a miracle!!!

Re Skuse. I dont think the bulk of criticism is justified. He's been poor on occasions, but then so has Albert, Baldock and every other player - he has been playing in front of a defence that is nervy and leeky beyond belief. Against Birmingham away - he was the ONE decent defensive minded player in red on the pitch and when he got injured it was only a matter of time before we conceded. Thats the point he is primarily a defensive player who wins possession and gives it to the nearest player in Red. When you are playing in a team that cant defend and loses possession by hoofing the ball up - that makes him look bad. Foster, McManus and Fontaine- they are the players that have been dodgy. Even they would start to play better with confidence and discipline. That is the what the team has lacked - discipline and confidence. Blaming Skuse doesnt wash with me. He is not a bad player. He is not Busquets - but he is good at this level.

Never mind number of games played, Kelly looks the more effective of the 2 to me.

You're quite entitled to the opposite opinion but your continual assertion that you somehow understand the game better than other posters makes you look pompous and ridiculous, and therefore goes some way to devaluing your opinion.

It's his new "thing". It used to be part time supporters, then hating Johnson and now "understanding the game". The same person that claims a ball over the top doesn't work.

I'm a Skuse fan, but I think he needs to move on to be honest- step outside his comfort zone, etc. I have no doubt he'll get a Championship team to pick him up, whether he then establishes himself will be down to him fulfilling the potential he showed that even me, as a Skuse fan, can't argue he's reached

At 27 next month he's unlikely to be given a contract by anyone based on the hope he will fulfill his potential - certainly not another one from City I hope!

He's a mature fully formed player now and he's turned out to be average with limited influence on the majority of games. The Cole Skuse we see now is as good as he's ever likely to get, hence the tailing off of any talk there might ever have been of genuine interest from other clubs.

Out of interest, we all had a bit of a giggle when Harry met sally .... erm, I mean Robbo met GJ .... but thats in the past and below the belt to bring up now in the current debate.

However I await with interest how confidently & forcefully you'll be making your points regarding Skuse's ability if and when asked by SO'D's assistant Mr O'Kelly to explain face to face with him how you disagree with his professional assessment of our players... love to be a fly on the wall witness to that meeting! ... hmmm, talk about shrivelled snails etc,

... :)

Shrivelled snails are a delicacy in parts of China I am finding out. The food they eat here is stomach churning.

One last bump for this one Phantom.

I don't know. Fact or fiction?

In the absence of any further comment I'll take this as more Skuse fiction then, there seems to have been a lot of it over the years.

Archived