IGNORED

Liam Kelly Thread....that Morphs Into The Cole Skuse Thread

Ashton Great

Care to name them?

Skuse has been first choice under every manager he's played under but because you, Harry ( who?) and Nogbad think he's poor those managers must all be wrong.

Kelly at 22 is nowhere near as accomplished or experienced as Skuse and yet after just three Championship games you him rate more highly....... :facepalm:

Its a sad reflection on how little some posters understand about the game.

Never mind number of games played, Kelly looks the more effective of the 2 to me.

You're quite entitled to the opposite opinion but your continual assertion that you somehow understand the game better than other posters makes you look pompous and ridiculous, and therefore goes some way to devaluing your opinion.

Never mind number of games played, Kelly looks the more effective of the 2 to me.

You're quite entitled to the opposite opinion but your continual assertion that you somehow understand the game better than other posters makes you look pompous and ridiculous, and therefore goes some way to devaluing your opinion.

I would totally agree with everything said here Nog!

You're a real keyboard warrior and full of hot air. Not only that its clear that you don't understand what a good player looks like.

Im not taking sides and I'm a big Skuse fan, but in fairness no one on here truely knows what a good player looks like and all our opinions are mainly hot air. If they were worth anything my opinion is we wouldn't be on here but more likely to be doing some january transfer dealing.

That said seen Kelly twice and I like what I see, a work-horse. Also noticed last night O'Kelly had his arm round his neck when walking off the pitch at the end improving his game all the time and learning every day.

Although I rate him and can see what he brings to the team its not my opinion of Skuse that carries any weight. However Johnson, Millen, Coppell, McInnes and now O'Driscoll all had Skuse as a regular first teamer and since his debut he's made over 250 appearances for City in 7 years.

Are you saying that because you don't rate him that all these managers were wrong to play him? Maybe they all could see what qualities he brings to the team but according to you I'm 'pompous and ridiculous' because I see it to?

You're a real keyboard warrior and full of hot air. Not only that its clear that you don't understand what a good player looks like.

He he been called many things in my time but a keyboard warrior is not one of them.

Nogbad sums you up perfectly.

As per naming pro names i know within the game you think im mad? Your just have to trust me from the pro point of view their are many who do not rate Skuse. It's a game of opinions fella and yours believe it or not is not always right.

Someone pass me some salt..........

He he been called many things in my time but a keyboard warrior is not one of them.

Nogbad sums you up perfectly.

As per naming pro names i know within the game you think im mad? Your just have to trust me from the pro point of view their are many who do not rate Skuse. It's a game of opinions fella and yours believe it or not is not always right.

Someone pass me some salt..........

Convenient (and predictable) excuse.

The 'many' who don't rate Skuse must consider our last 5 managers a bunch of idiots.

I think people are forgetting the fact that he's only 22 years old. I think he has done well so far, puts himself about and links up well. He will only get better!

Summed up brilliantly mate.

He put in one hell of a shift last night. At 22 he can still improve and SoD will be able to mould him into a very good player!

Although I rate him and can see what he brings to the team its not my opinion of Skuse that carries any weight. However Johnson, Millen, Coppell, McInnes and now O'Driscoll all had Skuse as a regular first teamer and since his debut he's made over 250 appearances for City in 7 years.

Are you saying that because you don't rate him that all these managers were wrong to play him? Maybe they all could see what qualities he brings to the team but according to you I'm 'pompous and ridiculous' because I see it to?

Maybe that's one of the reasons why the majority have failed.

Ha ha SOD rates him so highly he couldnt even get his name right on yesterday's iplayer post match interview.

Let's be fair chap the manager aint going to come out and say he's shit is he. It's all about building up the players with praise right now.

I know loads of people within the game and Skuse is not rated hence why he's always stayed here.[b\]

I also trust my own eyes. Respected posters on here like Harry, Nogbad etc. all think he's poor too.

Like i said i can tell Kelly got more to his game watching him in 3 matches than Skuse will ever have.

BTW out of interest are you the feller who was like a shrivelled snail when put in front of GJ???

This is one of my pet peeves; I'm not saying I disbelieve you as I have no grounds to question your integrity, but if you ain't prepared to name specifics then don't mention it and certainly don't get uppity when people question you it. I know the Queen of England and she thinks Cole Skuse is the best thing since Thatchers Gold- prove me wrong

I'll sit on the fence regarding Skuse; he's not as bad as you're making out, but I strongly suspect that we could do better if we looked hard. However, in our current squad he's the best CM we have (not seen Kelly play yet)

Ha ha SOD rates him so highly he couldnt even get his name right on yesterday's iplayer post match interview.

Let's be fair chap the manager aint going to come out and say he's shit is he. It's all about building up the players with praise right now.

I know loads of people within the game and Skuse is not rated hence why he's always stayed here.

I also trust my own eyes. Respected posters on here like Harry, Nogbad etc. all think he's poor too.

Like i said i can tell Kelly got more to his game watching him in 3 matches than Skuse will ever have.

BTW out of interest are you the feller who was like a shrivelled snail when put in front of GJ???

Wow.

So because he SoD mispronuced his name - he doesn't rate him highly?

Two people on here don't rate him so be must be crap.

Then your reduced to insulting someone to firm up,your point?

That verses

Every previous manager (including the current) selecting Skuse regularly,

every previous manager giving him, or offering him a new contracts,

Premiership Clubs and other championship clubs monitoring him regularly since his debut.

Who to believe? Some bloke on a forum or people actually employed at football clubs?

Hmmmmmm

Wow.

That verses

Premiership Clubs and other championship clubs monitoring him regularly since his debut.

Who to believe? Some bloke on a forum or people actually employed at football clubs?

Very nicely put but I doubt it'll sway CherryBerry away from his fantasy world.

Care to name them?

Skuse has been first choice under every manager he's played under but because you, Harry ( who?) and Nogbad think he's poor those managers must all be wrong.

Kelly at 22 is nowhere near as accomplished or experienced as Skuse and yet after just three Championship games you him rate more highly....... :facepalm:

Its a sad reflection on how little some posters understand about the game.

Yes, and we've been fighting relegation battle after relegation battle under these very same manager.....doh! Yes Keef and Del were wrong!

And i suspect Skuse is a couple of decent signings away from being a bench warmer, unless your looking forward to another relegation battle next year!

The only reason Skuse has been a regular under the last few managers is because most of our other midfielder's have been even worse!

:facepalm:

Wow.

That verses

Hmmmmmm

Really??

So after 8 years of 'monitoring him' not one club has EVER made a serious enquiry for him, let alone a bid.

How do you explain that?

Really??

So after 8 years of 'monitoring him' not one club has EVER made a serious enquiry for him, let alone a bid.

How do you explain that?

Bingo, there is a huge love in with Skuse on this forum. If Skuse was such a huge talent in his younger days and is now considered on this forum a 'very good NPC player' then why has there never been much transfer speculation regarding him?

So people here would regard Skuse in the same class as the likes of; Peter Whittingham? Andy King? Robert Koren? etc.

Tells me that certain fans do not understand what kind of midfielder you need in this division to be at the top end. And Skuse does not fit that bill, league one player at best but then can pop up with a good game every now and then. He has no footballing style in that midfield, He's not a defensive midfielder as he cannot run in and put in a decent tackle to save his life, He's not a deep lying playmaker who could perhaps create an attack within our half and cannot spread the ball of play. He's not an attacking midfielder, your never see Skuse take a pop long distance on goal and will mostly pass sideways or backwards. He's definately not a box to box midfielder.

Skuse is what I call a 'floater' midfielder. Someone who ponders round in the centre of the midfield pretty much doing little as possible and seeing the game bypass him, ocasionally making the odd good pass and tackle.

If we want to move up this league and have better class of footballers fans on here need to understand what is required to reach such luxuries.

Hi it's Harry (who?) ref...earlier post #24, ha ha.

Firstly, since this thread is titled Liam Kelly, I would like to say that I have been very impressed so far. He has offered a completely different dynamic to our previously stagnant midfield. He chases all day, he harries the opposition, he tracks his runners, he provides a shield for the centre-backs, he has a decent quality on the ball and has shown he can offer a goal threat judging by the number of shooting opportunities he's found himself in, in just 4 games.

I must admit, I thought the lad was signed as a bit of a runner, a box to box type who would provide energy and willing and run all day. Well he has certainly proven to me that he will provide those characteristics, but he's also shown he can play a bit too, and is a real thinker on the pitch. SoD has called upon players to do their job and help their mates - well Kelly is certainly doing this and I am confident he will be an excellent player for this club in the long term (yes it's early days, but the characteristics are there).

Ok - since the Skuse debate has reared it's ugly head once more, I will put my oar in again.

As regular readers on here will know, I have been pretty forthright in my opinions on Skuseless. I have said before that I have nothing against the bloke and think he is a very capable footballer - he is neat and tidy on the ball and has a good amount of ability. However, he just doesn't use his ability to his full potential.

For anyone looking for examples, search for a post of mine earlier in the season titled "Observations on our Midfield". I evidenced numerous examples of Skuse NOT DOING HIS JOB. I'm not gonna go into it all again, but I am fed up with the bloke this season trotting around, not tracking his runners, not putting in a proper shift, not playing incisive attacking passes, not getting into goalscoring positions, not making enough tackles or closing down effectively. Yes, he does do all of these things 'sometimes' but he just doesn't do it enough for my liking. Yes, he'll make the occasional excellent tackle which will result in the crowd's awful groan of "Skuuuuuuse", and will probably pick up a man of the match award as it's all people will remember of him. What they don't notice is the amount of times he relinquishes responsibility and doesn't do this amazing shielding job that everyone seems to hold him in high regard for (sorry I honestly don't see it).

My opinion is, I believe I have seen more in Kelly in 4 games than I've ever seen in Skuse. I am wholesomely confident in that opinion and fully understand that this opinion will not be shared by everyone, but it's what I believe.

For those saying that all of our previous managers have always selected him, well it's interesting to note than in our most successful season (07/08) he wasn't a regular - starting only 5 games. I think that all of these Managers have come in and seen that the lad obviously has some ability and each of them are convinced that they will be able to get the best out of him. Up until a couple of years ago, even I remained convinced that he would push on and fulfill the potential he has, but I'm sorry to say that he hasn't. He is now a very experienced pro (as someone pointed out he has over 250 appearances under his belt now) and for me the time for him to push on and prove himself at the next level was a couple of years ago. He's very very comfortable here now and seems to get away with doing the bare minimum. Every Manager has seen his ability and thinks they can help him reach the next level, so they persevere with him, hoping to get that extra out of him, but ultimately it's been to their own cost in the end, as it is no coincidence to me that our midfield has been extremely poor for a number of years now, and the one constant is Skuse.

I wish the lad all the best, but I sincerely hope and pray that he is released at the end of this season and moves on elsewhere, I don't want to see him given another 2 or 3 year contract just because he's a local boy. If he goes elsewhere and higher in the league than us, and proves me wrong, well good luck to him - but I've lost my patience with the boy now - and I'm normally an incredibly patient and forgiving man, thus such criticism is very unlike me, and that's what makes me feel all the more strongly about it.

I've said more than once I'm also fed up with seeing Skuse. There's no doubt he gets special treatment from some fans and bizarre adulation in some cases. I could tolerate his weaknesses while he was a young man. The problem is he still looks like a 16 year old on the pitch. He gets bossed by other teams' midfielders, He frequently gets caught on the ball, as demonstrated again last night. He fails to offer any attacking threat and can hardly defend. His decision making also annoys me. Why the hell did he try to take a quick free kick last night?

I hope he moves on in the summer. For too long he's been the token young Bristolian, while other local young players have been overlooked. Bobby Reid in his few appearances shows more to whet the footballing appetite than Skuse ever has.

As for Kelly, anything Skuse can do, he can do better.

You win & lose games on the strength of your central midfield and ever since Skuse become a regular in ours weve gone down hill as a club.
Footballs about partnerships and no player can build one up with CS as the bloke dont know weather he's arthur or martha.
He's not a defenive midfielder neither is he an attacking one and contributes absolutely nothing positive defensively or offensively.
GJ was our last successful manager since Skuse has been on the scene and he only used him in CM in emergencies. If i remember rightly im sure he even told him he has all the attributes to make the right back spot his own. RB is also the only time ive saw Skuse look any good.
Nope he's no midfileder for me and lke i said orignally, Ive saw more in Kelly game after 3 matches than i ever have in Skuse's.
Some of our fans have always been a sucker for local lad especially if one's a 'trier'.

You win & lose games on the strength of your central midfield and ever since Skuse become a regular in ours weve gone down hill as a club.

Footballs about partnerships and no player can build one up with CS as the bloke dont know weather he's arthur or martha.

He's not a defenive midfielder neither is he an attacking one and contributes absolutely nothing positive defensively or offensively.

GJ was our last successful manager since Skuse has been on the scene and he only used him in CM in emergencies. If i remember rightly im sure he even told him he has all the attributes to make the right back spot his own. RB is also the only time ive saw Skuse look any good.

Nope he's no midfileder for me and lke i said orignally, Ive saw more in Kelly game after 3 matches than i ever have in Skuse's.

Some of our fans have always been a sucker for local lad especially if one's a 'trier'.

Emergencies? I'm guessing the 30+ games he started in the promotion season never happened?

He didn't play the following season, no part due to the signing of Elliott then Carle who were very Impressive, plus of course 'his boy'

Following 2 seasons he played 30+ each in each season? But hey....

That's 100 games plus over 3 seasons which we had emgeriences was it?

Player of the season since then... Won by accident no doubt

The fact you completely ignore his defensive midfielder qualities sums up your lack of eye for a player, pace, acceleration, one of the best tacklers at, is never going to score lots of goals, but don't expect him to.

The amount of manager who have selected him on a regular basis sums it up for me, more so than any small-minded so called fan, very much a anti-local lad mentality on here.

Really??

How do you explain that?

Haven't they know that for sure, Reading (Coppell) & Charlton (curbishley) all made serious enquires but never happened, Holloway wanted him at Leicester and wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at Palace if we went down.

Based on your views of both Carey and Skuse, your very anti-bristolian.

Emergencies? I'm guessing the 30+ games he started in the promotion season never happened?

He didn't play the following season, no part due to the signing of Elliott then Carle who were very Impressive, plus of course 'his boy'

Following 2 seasons he played 30+ each in each season? But hey....

That's 100 games plus over 3 seasons which we had emgeriences was it?

Player of the season since then... Won by accident no doubt

The fact you completely ignore his defensive midfielder qualities sums up your lack of eye for a player, pace, acceleration, one of the best tacklers at, is never going to score lots of goals, but don't expect him to.

The amount of manager who have selected him on a regular basis sums it up for me, more so than any small-minded so called fan, very much a anti-local lad mentality on here.

Defensive qualities?? Don't make me laugh, have you seem some of the goals we've conceded where he's let players run and run and run and....

Haven't they know that for sure, Reading (Coppell) & Charlton (curbishley) all made serious enquires but never happened, Holloway wanted him at Leicester and wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at Palace if we went down.

Based on your views of both Carey and Skuse, your very anti-bristolian.

No they didn't, that's just fantasy. Nobody has ever made a serious enquiry for Skuse.

By serious enquiry I mean genuine interest leading to a bid, which has never happened.

Anything else is nothing but baseless rumour.

For your information some of my all time favourite City players have been Bristolian, but Cheesley, Merrick, Fear, Tainton etc. were in an entirely different class to Cole Skuse.

So nothing anti Bristolian about me, though unlike you it seems I don't feel the need to exaggerate the ability of City players just because they were born in Bristol.

Archived