IGNORED

Blackburn Who's Going

BS3_RED

I'm a student in Manchester and thinking of going because its close and they do student tickets...

Just the man.

I'm going to Blackburn with some mates, then a night out in Manchester.

I've been doing quite a lot of work related stuff in Manchester recently and got to know all the best real ale pubs - Marble Arch and Castle Hotel on Oldham Street 2 of my favourites.

When the pubs are shut, where's the best places, preferably in Northern Quarter area (no we are not gay but like the buzz there), bearing in mind we are ahem not as young as we used to be?!

Just the man.

I've been doing quite a lot of work related stuff in Manchester recently and got to know all the best real ale pubs - Marble Arch and Castle Hotel on Oldham Street 2 of my favourites.

When the pubs are shut, where's the best places, preferably in Northern Quarter area (no we are not gay but like the buzz there), bearing in mind we are ahem not as young as we used to be?!

Not sure what your sexuality has to do with the Northern Quarter.... It isn't the Gay Village!

It really depends on what you are after.

Most bars in the NQ are open late over the weekend anyway so you could stay drinking round there until the small hours in the bars. Not my kind of place but the Black Dog Ballroom is open the latest- which is a bar with a dancefloor etc and is just around the corner from the Castle and is open til 4ish. But others that are open late are Common, Hula cocktail bar, soup Kitchen, Matt and Phreds (jazz bar), Dry Bar, Lemars.... To be honest most of them! You won't struggle to find somewhere to drink.

Outside of the NQ ,clubwise I like South, which is a good variety of Music and a mixture of older and younger crowd. I haven't been in a while but it used to be Clint Boon Djing (of inspiral carpets fame) off XFM.

Not sure what your sexuality has to do with the Northern Quarter.... It isn't the Gay Village!

Most bars in the NQ are open late over the weekend anyway so you could stay drinking round there until the small hours in the bars. Not my kind of place but the Black Dog Ballroom is open the latest- which is a bar with a dancefloor etc and is just around the corner from the Castle and is open til 4ish. But others that are open late are Common, Hula cocktail bar, soup Kitchen, Matt and Phreds (jazz bar), Dry Bar, Lemars.... To be honest most of them! You won't struggle to find somewhere to drink.

Outside of the NQ ,clubwise I like South, which is a good variety of Music and a mixture of older and younger crowd. I haven't been in a while but it used to be Clint Boon Djing (of inspiral carpets fame) off XFM.

im staying in manchester to my 25th weres the best places for good night around pollard street

Just the man.

Agree with the guy above to be honest... Being a student I haven't been out on the weekends much (too expensive, all about the student nights haha)

Blackdog ballroom is really popular and is probably the nicest place...

Another is Bluu which is the other side of the northern quarter, pretty standard bar but certainly a good mix of young and old I think. A lot of other bars are around this one as well which makes it worth going to. If you go to Bluu then definatly pop into 'Keko Moku' which is just across the street. Its a tiny hawaii themed cocktail bar but its top draw, good place to pop in to.

Also, if you fancy going a bit more upmarket then anywhere along deansgate is good, but you have to be fairly dressed up to get in.

Hope this helps, have a good'n

Just the man.

The Castle takes me back: discovered the place when at Uni, probably 25+ years since I last went in there.

Don't know the Marble Arch, do know the Lass O'Gowrie (mentioned later), but would also throw in Briton's Protection at other end of G-Mex (unless it has gone to sh1te since I was last in there).

Since the Conti has long since closed, can't offer any recommendations for night-life, other than what a cabbie told me a few years back when up for a test match: "If you want posh Cheshire birds go to Deansgate Locks, if you want rough Oldham slappers, go to the Printworks".

Isnt the NQ close to the Gay Village? Anyway cheers mate all sounds good going to be a good night hopefully preceded by a good day.

Agree with the guy above to be honest... Being a student I haven't been out on the weekends much (too expensive, all about the student nights haha)

Blackdog ballroom is really popular and is probably the nicest place...

Another is Bluu which is the other side of the northern quarter, pretty standard bar but certainly a good mix of young and old I think. A lot of other bars are around this one as well which makes it worth going to. If you go to Bluu then definatly pop into 'Keko Moku' which is just across the street. Its a tiny hawaii themed cocktail bar but its top draw, good place to pop in to.

Also, if you fancy going a bit more upmarket then anywhere along deansgate is good, but you have to be fairly dressed up to get in.

Hope this helps, have a good'n

Thanks mate we will - spoilt for choice it seems. I like Manchester you must be having a great time on those student nights.

Isnt the NQ close to the Gay Village? Anyway cheers mate all sounds good going to be a good night hopefully preceded by a good day.

From memory, Gay Village is the Canal Street area, boxed in by canal, Oxford Road, coach station and Portland street; and the NQ is the other side of Piccadilly Gardens. Less than a mile apart I'd say.

That said, when I were a lad in Manchester, NQ didn't exist, it was just a mass of rundown buildings out to Ancoats and Victoria, with only Afflecks Palace, Eastern Bloc records and Dry 201 as reasons to bother going there.

I'm a student in Manchester and thinking of going because its close and they do student tickets...

Obviously wouldn't go with my city top on but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this as i've never been to blackburn and don't know what their fans are like.

I know i'd have to not cheer when (yes when) we score but has anyone else on here done this before?

Blackburn fan here -

Are you planning on sitting with the home fans? There won't be any issue providing you don't go mad if you score.

Our fans are pretty mellow and the only trouble I've ever seen is occasional scuffles between our own fans when tensions have been high.

How do you all rate your chances for this game?

I'd imagine you're playing better recently because O'Driscoll is a good manager and I noticed you beat Watford was it? the other day.

Can't recall you signing anyone and Adomah must still be away in Africa so that's good news for us.

Blackburn fan here -

Are you planning on sitting with the home fans? There won't be any issue providing you don't go mad if you score.

Our fans are pretty mellow and the only trouble I've ever seen is occasional scuffles between our own fans when tensions have been high.

I'd imagine you're playing better recently because O'Driscoll is a good manager and I noticed you beat Watford was it? the other day.

Can't recall you signing anyone and Adomah must still be away in Africa so that's good news for us.

It will be a tough game for us tomorrow. I would be happy with a draw.

You got players who in this division can produce moments of magic even if their not playing well on the day. One thing i do know is we will put in a much better showing than we did in the recent FA cup game. I wanted Mcinnes gone with immedate effect after that match.

Looking forward to tomorrow. 7 of us going up inc. a mate whose a Bristolian Bburn fan. We've been waiting for this game at Ewood in the league for years.

1-1 for me. Stead to notch.

Blackburn fan here -

Hi Tugay

The atmosphere on here and around the club is very positive right now! Beating Watford and getting our first clean sheet was a huge lift following a 90th minute winner against Ipswich...Two succesive wins being the most we have done in ages.

I would expect a newly compact City side capable of defending in numbers....(God bless Sean O Driscoll) We have a number of young players including Maloney Kelly Cunningham and Baldock in the 11 who are hungry and Anderson who has a lot to show while AA is on duty else where...

Davies Baldock and Stead are capable of getting a goal so we need to create some chances and having that smart playmaker is where we lack a bit....

Hope this helps...We are weak in a few areas but I'll tell you about them on Sunday!

hi blackburn fan, I reckon city to win 2-1 because your defence isn't great but neither is ours but we will sneak a late winner Anderson, Stead For city Rhodes for blackburn. what do you think the score will be??? COYR

We've got the 6th best defensive record in the league. Under Kean, we were awful defensively. We conceded 3 against you and against Leeds under him and then 3 in 6 matches under our 1st caretaker of the season after Kean left.

Scoring goals is the issue, even though Rhodes seems to score in pretty much every game. Sadly, Rochina and Vukcevic have gone which is a pretty stupid decision, considering we didn't either replace them or Formica.

I predict a narrow 2-1 victory to us.

With your new manager and improved form, I'm hoping our players don't presume it will be an "easy" game after that cup win.

Our new manager seems the no-nonsense type so I doubt it though.

As has been mentioned, although we haven't played well in too many games this season, we have players who can do some damage. After an inconsistent start, Kazim Richards has been our best player recently playing up top besides Rhodes using his strength to hold the ball up which we haven't really been doing this season.

Stead was great for us in his 1st half season, he'll always be remembered fondly at Ewood Park.

The Olsson brothers will start on the left so expect plenty of pace down your right hand side.

Having visited the club shop today, I can tell you that City sold 332 advance sale tickets but POTD is definitely available at Ewood Park tomorrow.

I will be there. Going to a trade show at NEC on Sunday so I am staying "Up North" Sat PM before going down to Brum.

My old firm had a depot in Blackburn and I used to drive past Ewood on the way there and back.

Looking forward to my first visit there and full of optimism after our last two home games.

My first away game since Brighton last season. Which we lost 2-0.

Hoping for at least a draw tomorrow against what is a decent NPC side.

Archived