IGNORED

Dave L Annoys Me

potbelly

For a bit of fun, AD's 3 teams, based on the premise that the promotion team can't play in either of the other teams!

Pre promotion team: Gibson, Jacobs, Briggs, Wimshurst, Rooks, Parr, Sharpe, Kellard, Galley, Garland, Derrick.

Promotion team: Cashley, Sweeney, Drysdale, Gow, Collier, Merrick, Tainton, Mann, Ritchie, Cheesley, Whitehead.

Post promotion team: Shaw, Gillies, McNeill, Bain, Rodgers, Hunter, Pritchard, Cormack, Royle, Fear, Meijer.

AD's best 11? I wouldn't change much from the promotion team ( sorry Norman, I'd never drop Sir Geoffrey) maybe Gibson for Cashley, but I didn't see much pre. 1970/71, Jack Connor and the like. Gerry Sharpe, no doubt, but for injury.

For a bit of fun, AD's 3 teams, based on the premise that the promotion team can't play in either of the other teams!

Pre promotion team: Gibson, Jacobs, Briggs, Wimshurst, Rooks, Parr, Sharpe, Kellard, Galley, Garland, Derrick.

Promotion team: Cashley, Sweeney, Drysdale, Gow, Collier, Merrick, Tainton, Mann, Ritchie, Cheesley, Whitehead.

Post promotion team: Shaw, Gillies, McNeill, Bain, Rodgers, Hunter, Pritchard, Cormack, Royle, Fear, Meijer.

AD's best 11? I wouldn't change much from the promotion team ( sorry Norman, I'd never drop Sir Geoffrey) maybe Gibson for Cashley, but I didn't see much pre. 1970/71, Jack Connor and the like. Gerry Sharpe, no doubt, but for injury.

Time for me to put a tin hat on maybe but personally would find it difficult to put The Cheese ahead of John Galley. I know that he'd had a good year in the promotion season, the romance of the Highbury goal and the tragic end against Shilton - but his record for City in now way compares. Also not sure that I wouldn't put Royle ahead of Cheesley either - he had a very good career at the top - just didn't have the best of it at Cty.

Good question, though - it deserves a thread of its own, IMO.

But Norm was our best ever defender, in my opinion obviously! No Kevin Mabbutt?

But Norm was our best ever defender, in my opinion obviously! No Kevin Mabbutt?

Norman was past his best for City but still obviously a very good defender and talismanic figure.

I thought Merrick was harshly treated by AD - being shoved to left back to accommodate Hunter - and overall Captaining City to promotion and 433 apps. under AD incl. 163 during the top flight years make him Dicks' top centre back.

Norman was a real hero too of course, but only for 3 seasons, and only 108 league games.

Interesting you mention Mabbutt, where would you include him, instead of Keith Fear?

Time for me to put a tin hat on maybe but personally would find it difficult to put The Cheese ahead of John Galley. I know that he'd had a good year in the promotion season, the romance of the Highbury goal and the tragic end against Shilton - but his record for City in now way compares. Also not sure that I wouldn't put Royle ahead of Cheesley either - he had a very good career at the top - just didn't have the best of it at Cty.

Good question, though - it deserves a thread of its own, IMO.

I followed Cheese round the country in that promotion season (plus Highbury) and he was something a bit special, but you're right about Galley - 91 goals in 195 games is a much better record than Cheesley.

I'm only basing the teams on what they did for City. Neither Royle or Cheesley scored many goals - Cheese 20, Royle 19, but Cheese felt like one of our own whereas Royle was just passing through having had his best years elsewhere.

Apart from a couple of hat trick's JR's record for City was actually quite poor. I'll give you Galley, but not Royle!

Norman was past his best for City but still obviously a very good defender and talismanic figure.

I thought Merrick was harshly treated by AD - being shoved to left back to accommodate Hunter - and overall Captaining City to promotion and 433 apps. under AD incl. 163 during the top flight years make him Dicks' top centre back.

Norman was a real hero too of course, but only for 3 seasons, and only 108 league games.

Interesting you mention Mabbutt, where would you include him, instead of Keith Fear?

Ah-ha! this is where the debate opens out a bit, I thought that Merrick looked out of his depth in the top flight, whereas, despite his age, Norm exuded class, as well being one of the hardest (and street wise) players in the league. Geoff was slightly exposed as having a poor first touch and tended to lump it too often, although he had a lot of bad luck with injuries during that period and, as you say, being pushed out to left back didn't help. Interesting one about Mabbut, I guess he would play instead of KF, yet I always was a fan of Keith, drove you mad with his inconsistency, but on his day one of the most skillfull players we ever had, so will have o get back to you on that one :read:

I know it`s not Dave`s fault but why does the team have to be read out in squad number order?

Can we please have the defenders first, then the midfield and finally the forwards.

Not asking for the formation, just to remove the mental gymnastics i have to perform to work out the team.

Ta.

I knew something was confusing Fontaine and Foster.

Archived