IGNORED

Gazza

Super

Nothing sad or 'poor buggerish' about it. Its his own fault is it not? Ce la Vie. Some make it through some do not. Some have it in their DNA and some don't. I mean are we suggesting that someone else got him into this mess? That somehow the fortune he has made in his playing career is not enough to live a sensible life? We all have heartbreaks in life and we deal with it or we don't. He clearly has not dealt with it.

I am sorry but I have little sympathy. The Gazza we saw and who mesmerised us on the pitch and the Gazza we see today may as well be different people.

The inevitable is it will probably end the same way as Best only earlier.

well lets just hope your world isn't turned upside down in someway eh mate?

Gazza was a VERY good player

But

not as good as posts on here are making out

1st post says the most talented player this country has ever produced!! PLEASE

Great players do it in BIG games

Gazzas two biggest games were

FA Cup final v Forest

World cup semi v Germany

Look what he did in those games Sums him up

He is England's own Dziekanowski. All the tools, all the flair, nowt to show for it.

He will be known as a very good player who played the fool. In terms of a footballing legacy, all he had is tears to show for it.

I will say he had more balls than most, along with Platt, to go and try his hand abroad. It may have been better if he stayed there, way from the booze culture.

But

FA Cup final v Forest

World cup semi v Germany

If you are off a certain age and were fortunate to see him play then you would have to say there were very few players that were as talented as him. Of course there is an element of rose tinted glasses about it but name me one player that entertained as much as he did in his playing days? I'm not calling him a legend or some sort of hero, I'm just saying that he made football a much more entertaining sport when he came through and that was purely his talent.

If you are off a certain age and were fortunate to see him play then you would have to say there were very few players that were as talented as him. Of course there is an element of rose tinted glasses about it but name me one player that entertained as much as he did in his playing days? I'm not calling him a legend or some sort of hero, I'm just saying that he made football a much more entertaining sport when he came through and that was purely his talent.

Merson and le tissier.

Merse went the way of gazza. Le Tiss stayed at a unfashionable club

But

FA Cup final v Forest

World cup semi v Germany

Rubbish. Name a player more talented then?

Can't we just lock him away in a prison cell for six months or something?

Sadly I think that having no access to booze would be the only way to sort himself out. So sad.

He's been sectioned, twice, under the mental health act.

Sadly mental health and alcoholism is still something that a lot of people struggle to understand and simply blame the individual when its not always just as simple as that.

It's all very well Mr Baker saying he needs help but he's the one making money off his personal speaking. His friends, and I use that word term in the least possible sense, around him simply have taken him for all they can and clearly care little for his actual personal health/well-being.

George Best Mk2?

Rubbish. Name a player more talented then?

Could name many. All depends what you mean by talent. Running at players, maybe, on form barnes and waddle were just as good. Tackling, many better. Dominance of a midfield, I'd say many better including the likes of Gerrard, who I don't rate. Goal scoring, lamps is better.

What is you're term talent relating to?

Gascoigne looked good with the ball at his feet taking on opponents through the middle, but was his talent so good he effected a match so much, ala Maradona or someone who looked good on the face of it, but effected a team very little.

Could name many. All depends what you mean by talent. Running at players, maybe, on form barnes and waddle were just as good. Tackling, many better. Dominance of a midfield, I'd say many better including the likes of Gerrard, who I don't rate. Goal scoring, lamps is better.

Gascoigne looked good with the ball at his feet taking on opponents through the middle, but was his talent so good he effected a match so much, ala Maradona or someone who looked good on the face of it, but effected a team very little.

Barnes & Waddle in the same league as Gazza? I'll have some of whatever you're on this Sunday afternoon.

I hear what you're saying but no one in my school playground wanted to be anyone other than Gazza. He used to take opponents on, he looked for that first before a pass and that was exciting. I reckon if you asked players of that era to pick their best 11 then how many wouldn't have Gazza in the centre of midfield?

As the daughter of an alcoholic he has to WANT help, and until then, there is absolutely nothing anybody can do to help him.

And to the person who said about locking him up, going cold turkey in his current state is just as likely to kill him as carrying on drinking will. The body becomes too dependent on it, and stopping just like that would be medically dangerous.

I sadly fear it's too late for Gazza.

Barnes & Waddle in the same league as Gazza? I'll have some of whatever you're on this Sunday afternoon.

I said on their day, which you overlooked. I'd add waddle was the backbone of Marseille's football club through possibly their best era, and was recognised as one of their best players. Likewise John Barnes for Liverpool.

Gazza a few good games for England a very average club career with a few highlights on the pitch. Name lots of stand out performances from gazza for Newcastle, spurs Lazio and rangers. I am reckoning I will return a whole lot more for Barnes at Liverpool and Watford. Likewise Waddle in France.

Gazza was a myth. A good individual, not a great. On a par with the two I mention. Maybe a little better on the international scene, far worse on either the European scene (waddle) or domestic (Barnes)

If you can point out any amazing performances he put in that led to great wins please highlight them, and you may sway me.

I hear what you're saying but no one in my school playground wanted to be anyone other than Gazza. He used to take opponents on, he looked for that first before a pass and that was exciting. I reckon if you asked players of that era to pick their best 11 then how many wouldn't have Gazza in the centre of midfield?

that is true. Gazza was built up well and kids and young adults related to him. Definitely a good player no doubt. Over hyped, most definitely.

I said on their day, which you overlooked. I'd add waddle was the backbone of Marseille's football club through possibly their best era, and was recognised as one of their best players. Likewise John Barnes for Liverpool.

Gazza a few good games for England a very average club career with a few highlights on the pitch. Name lots of stand out performances from gazza for Newcastle, spurs Lazio and rangers. I am reckoning I will return a whole lot more for Barnes at Liverpool and Watford. Likewise Waddle in France.

Gazza was a myth. A good individual, not a great. On a par with the two I mention. Maybe a little better on the international scene, far worse on either the European scene (waddle) or domestic (Barnes)

If you can point out any amazing performances he put in that led to great wins please highlight them, and you may sway me.

Spot on post

Waddle and Barnes were terrible for England. When Gazza played he always gave 110%, on his day was pure class and only 2nd to Maradona, but plagued by injuries and obviously the lifestyle caught up with him. Should have signed for Man Utd when Sir Alex tried to buy him but went where he got the most money. From what I recall he did very well at Lazio and Rangers but it will his performances for England that he will be remembered for. A massive character in the dressing room that the opposition feared.

As Dollymarie states, Gascoigne doesn't want it enough (similar to Best).

It's frightening to see how many posters have the same flippant approach to alcohol.

Whilst feeling sad for Gascoigne's plight, spare a thought for his wife and children, who suffered abuse from him because of his addiction. Some legacy...

Waddle and Barnes were terrible for England. When Gazza played he always gave 110%, on his day was pure class and only 2nd to Maradona, but plagued by injuries and obviously the lifestyle caught up with him. Should have signed for Man Utd when Sir Alex tried to buy him but went where he got the most money. From what I recall he did very well at Lazio and Rangers but it will his performances for England that he will be remembered for. A massive character in the dressing room that the opposition feared.

2nd only to maradona!!! What a joke

Again, neither can match Gazza - nowhere near.

le Tissier was extremely inconsistent.

Merson ? Do me a favour. And he didn't go the way of Gazza, he makes a nice living for himself these days after beating his booze and gambling habits - nothing like Gazza at all.

Is that the same Paul Merson who got banned for drink driving last year ???

He hasn't beaten the booze at all.

Not sure I can remember specific games from the late 80's/early 90's nor Gazza's involvement let alone comment on French league of that time so I'll bow down to your superior memory.

I've reconsidered my position and agree that Gazza was in fact a myth who's footballing impact was minimal and contribution to English football was nothing short of ordinary. :laugh:

Just for the record I do agree that Chrissy Waddle and John Barnes had game.

Nothing sad or 'poor buggerish' about it. Its his own fault is it not? Ce la Vie. Some make it through some do not. Some have it in their DNA and some don't. I mean are we suggesting that someone else got him into this mess? That somehow the fortune he has made in his playing career is not enough to live a sensible life? We all have heartbreaks in life and we deal with it or we don't. He clearly has not dealt with it.

I am sorry but I have little sympathy. The Gazza we saw and who mesmerised us on the pitch and the Gazza we see today may as well be different people.

The inevitable is it will probably end the same way as Best only earlier.

Have you read his autobiography by any chance? Seems a bit harsh, yes it's him who puts the drink in his hand but he's had a bit of trauma in his life and can see why at times he would turn to drink. Very sad news that one of England's best and well loved footballers is going to end in this way. Great footballer and great charecter who always seemed to give 110% for his country.

Quick and short run of games. Draws and wins. Gascoigne sealed his trip to Italia 90 with a brace v the Czechs at wembley. Italia 90 Netherlands man of the match v players like Keoman, Van Basten, Gullit etc. Linkers penalties v Cameroon check through balls and fouls. Platt goal v Belgium assist was Gascoigne. Turin best player on pitch cv Germany Gascoigne again. Barnes never shone so brightly at any tournament.

Quick and short run of games. Draws and wins. Gascoigne sealed his trip to Italia 90 with a brace v the Czechs at wembley. Italia 90 Netherlands man of the match v players like Keoman, Van Basten, Gullit etc. Linkers penalties v Cameroon check through balls and fouls. Platt goal v Belgium assist was Gascoigne. Turin best player on pitch cv Germany Gascoigne again. Barnes never shone so brightly at any tournament.

Like I said he was better than both internationally. But he shone bright briefly for 1 tournament. I would suggest platt and Lineker and even Mark Wright were just as good and just as influential as Gazza in that tournament. Other than italia 90 and the odd game in euro 96 Gazza although talented failed imo to live up to the hype, especially at domestic level

As Dollymarie states, Gascoigne doesn't want it enough (similar to Best).

It's frightening to see how many posters have the same flippant approach to alcohol.

Whilst feeling sad for Gascoigne's plight, spare a thought for his wife and children, who suffered abuse from him because of his addiction. Some legacy...

You are the most opinionated and obnoxious poster on this forum.

For somebody who claims to take the moral and righteous high ground I find some of your comments very offensive and you are either a troll or a nasty horrible person, either way your very sad.

For somebody who claims to take the moral and righteous high ground I find some of your comments very offensive and you are either a troll or a nasty horrible person, either way your very sad.

Holier than thou and I, I'm afraid. He's the sort who looks forward to an afterlife spent watching our torments from a Heavenly cloud.

He'll probably accuse you of being an out of work , alcoholic , typical Bristolian wife beater now !

Best player v Germany my ass

Got booked and lost the plot (all the tears and alike)

Showed a total lack of professionalism

Disagree.....................because he never ever sees anything other than bad in just about everything,no heavenly cloud for redeye hell fire for him.

I didn't say he'd get there, I said he looked forward to it. A lot of people deserve to be seriously surprised on the Other Side ;)

Archived