IGNORED

Attendances In The Late 70's / Early 80's

Ashton1

From memory we only got more than that when Liverpool, Man Utd, Leeds, Nottingham Forest came to town.

Yep that's what I remember, and think even the big games struggled to get over 25k.

Sat on the fence here a little, because things have changed in football, the prem is a big brand now!

Anyone think we would get crowds over 25k week on week?

Still like to see evidence of crowd numbers . Whilst I agree AG was electric back I'm the day, not convinced the crowds went over 25k more than once or twice a season! Happy to be put straight though, I was only 9 or 10 back then, and it felt like 100k in the east end !!!!

April 10 1976 (promotion year)

Chelsea

Score 2-2

Competition League Division Two

Attendance 24,710

2 years later March 78 second season in top division

Chelsea

Score 3-0

Competition League Division One

Attendance 19,961

Regardless of division is the attendance relevant to success of team???

What you got to to remember back in those days attendance figures was not always accurate for many reasons.

Cash was paid a turnstiles and was open to abuse also if you new a steward he would always let you in for nothing and also clubs tried advoiding tax by claiming less people were at the game. Due to terracing it was easy to do this.

This all came home to roost when we played the Gas back in the mid 90s. We haven't played Rovers in a few years and in that time Ashton Gate had became all seated. Back in the 80s games were rarely all ticket and this included the Bristol derby . And so when we played them for the first time with a reduce capacity of 21000 all seats it was deemed that this would be a pay on the match because previous matches in the last 15 years official attendances as been 17 to 18000. Well on this night by 7.30 the ground was at capacity with 1000s still trying to get in . The gates was forced open and the Williams stand and 100s got in that way including myself . 1000s were locked out that night and an estimated 30,000 fans turned up .

My view is that no more fans turned up that night as in previous City Rovers matches but in the past the ground was able to cope with the numbers of fans and it was announced that there was 18,000 fans in the ground when clearly looking back on it , it was closer to 30,000. This did not just happen with Rovers but with other games.

When we played Boro a few years ago in the FA cup it was a sell out a week before the match and I missed out on a ticket. When had sell out in our promotion season against Rotherham and we also had a few sell outs in our 1st season back in the Championship. Also sell outs against Hartlepool in the play offs.

Reading those attendances shows how apathetic Bristol is when it comes to football.

Sorry different levels of football, what ever the sport if performances are bad for long periods of time will reflect on gates.

Back then we had a football team which were consistent with performances, the character of players was so much better, without this big wage thing.

It was just not on home support we had decent crowds, the away following was just as good.

Everything about the club was good. But then money came into it,

76-77, City's first season back in Div 1; here's a list of crowds over 25k

Stoke - Tuesday night - 1st game at AG 3 days after the win atHighbury - 25316

West Ham - 1st Saturday game against an established 1st div club - 28932

Leeds - Saturday - 31400 game abandoned due to fog. only 23587 when rearranged.

Arsenal - Saturday - 26282

Man C - Saturday - 27601

Villa - Saturday - 27958

Spurs - Tuesday night - 28101

Man U - Saturday - 32166

Liverpool - Monday night - 31471.

As an aside, May 1977

7th - Man U - H

10th - Leeds - H

14th - M'boro' - A

16th - Liverpool - H

19th - Coventry - A

24th - Rovers A (Glos Cup).

Not only could the same small squad of players cope with that sequence, we the fans could afford it as well!

Reading those attendances shows how apathetic Bristol is when it comes to football.

It's a lot down to how the team is playing.

Last game of the 81-82 season and City were already relegated to the 4th Div. Home to Chester (the only team below us) on a Saturday and the crowd was 3200. It's claimed the 200 were Chester fans.

An October Tuesday night in 83-84 and over 10000 turned up to watch City beat York 1-0 and go top of the 4th Div.

At the end of that season City's final game was at (funny coincidence) Chester on a Saturday and we had to send some of our Stewards along to help Chester cope with the massive crowd!

So true

First season in top flight 76/77

First 4 games at home

stoke city 25,316

sunderland 20,593

west ham 28,932

ipswich 21,114

last 4 home games 76/77

spurs 28,101

man u 27,800

leeds 23,587

liverpool 38,688

middle game of season middlesboro 15,074

different times granted but the fans are there......when they want to be

From memory we only averaged about 20K for the First Division, and less than that in the last season when we were playing badly, had over 30K for the big teams in the early days, but remember it was only about £1.50 to get in!

The upgraded Ashton Gate is going to have 26000 seats but this won't equate to a 26K capacity since you cane never sell all of them due to crowd segregation, currently we have 21000 seats but our largest attendance has been aroun 19500, so I expect the max for the improved stadium to be around 24500.

Looking at these figures above - and granted things have changed considerably since those halcyon days thirty odd years ago (namely the top flight morphing out of all recognition, and all seater stadia) - a capacity of 26000 appears to be about bang on the money. We all knew AV's 30k was too large unless we could sustain successful premiership football, and clubs always prefer to keep stadium capacity just under the level of demand if at all possible, as it increases ticket competition (and the amount they can charge, unfortunately for us).

It's a lot down to how the team is playing.

Last game of the 81-82 season and City were already relegated to the 4th Div. Home to Chester (the only team below us) on a Saturday and the crowd was 3200. It's claimed the 200 were Chester fans.

An October Tuesday night in 83-84 and over 10000 turned up to watch City beat York 1-0 and go top of the 4th Div.

At the end of that season City's final game was at (funny coincidence) Chester on a Saturday and we had to send some of our Stewards along to help Chester cope with the massive crowd!

Cracking times :)

From memory we only averaged about 20K for the First Division, and less than that in the last season when we were playing badly, had over 30K for the big teams in the early days, but remember it was only about £1.50 to get in!

I always remembered bigger crowds (was a juvenile paying 25p and 30p second season in top flight!) but we only achieved 30,000+ on 3 occasions twice v liverpool and once v Notts Forest

when you consider the 40,000 fans both City&Rovers have taken to Wembley-it was a case of friends, family and collesgues turning up for a day out.

These people wont come to AG (or the Rovers) on a regular basis, they just dont have the will. This why we'll see the odd massive attendance throughout history but not on a consistant basis.

The upgraded Ashton Gate is going to have 26000 seats but this won't equate to a 26K capacity since you cane never sell all of them due to crowd segregation, currently we have 21000 seats but our largest attendance has been aroun 19500, so I expect the max for the improved stadium to be around 24500.

There were numerous games against teams like Ipswich, Leicester, Coventry, QPR, Sunderland etc when the crowd was only 16-18k.

As for crowd segregation in the new AG It's already been stated that the intention would be for this to be kept to a minimum, and certainly nothing like we see today.

Admittedly I wasn't around back then but I'd say football is a differnt kettle of fish now to what it was back then. The premiership has become such a huge product now compared to then and I dare say there wern't half as many Man utd/man city/liverpool/chelsea/spurs supporters floating around bristol and the surrounding areas. These are all the sort of extra fans who would come and watch City if they were in the top flight. Pretty much everyone I spoke to when we got to the play offs said how theyd deffinately get season tickets if we got promoted. I honestly think we'd get 30,000 most games in the prem in this day and age.

Archived