IGNORED

Skuse To Ipswich?

Jon atyeo is my dad

It would appear that rumours regarding Skuse leaving are continuing to come thick and fast (I heard he was going to Middlesbrough in the week before the Leicester game) and with him being out of contract in the summer and with our obvious need to reduce the wage bill the smart money would be on him leaving.

In my view Skuse is a good player, but I do see where some are left slightly disappointed by him. For me he has all the tools to be a much better and more consistent player, but at times the game can pass him by and he seems unable to really stamp his authority on games. At the end of last season and the start of this ****il his injury at Peterborough) he seemed like he had finally reached the level many of us believe he can get to and he was grabbing games by the scruff of the neck and appeared he could be the midfield general we have long been crying out for, but these games do not come anywhere near as often as we would like.

I would be sad to see him go, but the reality of our finacial situation is bound to hit sometime soon and maybe a move away would actually get the best out of Cole.

if and only if we have players on more per week than Skuse,i can fully understand him wanting a better deal. what higher rank is there after captain?

personally i rate the bloke,you need some 100%ers in a team to keep the rest motivated so i hope he stays to partner someone like hartley in midfield

Don't bother trying to read between the lines and see what isn't there!!! I was making no comment at all about a new contract, rather making the observation that he is being panned on this thread. However, now you have raised it, If we can afford him, and I can't believe he is looking to treble his basic or anything daft like that, then it's up to the manager and the board.

I doubt if Skuse's future has anything to do with the manager, the board will decide what they feel he is worth and what the club can afford.

At the moment apparently Skuse has been made an offer he is not satisfied with.

The board have vowed to be austere and reduce the wage bill - do you really think Skuse is so influential and irreplaceable that they should make an exception in his case?

if and only if we have players on more per week than Skuse,i can fully understand him wanting a better deal. what higher rank is there after captain?

personally i rate the bloke,you need some 100%ers in a team to keep the rest motivated so i hope he stays to partner someone like hartley in midfield

He's not captain, we don't have a full time captain. It can be Fontaine, Carey, Skuse, or Marvin, depending on who is in form and available.

We've signed an undoubted 100%er in Kelly, a younger and more influential player than CS.

Yet again a percentage of Bristol City fans lambast a loyal servant who gets consistently picked by successive managers on merit. Gives Louis a break I suppose!!! Cole Skuse will never be an England player, may never even make it to the Premier League,but then again how many of our players could or would make it?!!!

Jamie Carragher at Liverpool has been a good, loyal servant to his one and only club, has been consistent and dependable, does not rock the boat, trains well and applies himself whenever and wherever he is picked for his team. Now before some pedantic ****** decides I am comparing Skusie with Carra, I'm not obviously in terms of his ability and stature in the game, I'm making the point that at this club it seems that playing hundreds of matches for your hometown club, being involved in the best moments of recent times, captaining the side, and being Mr Dependable and Mr Versatile, counts for nothing once the knives are out. if Cole Skuse goes we will miss him, of this I have no doubt. He may admittedly have not reached his full potential, but then neither do most young home grown players who make it to first team football. Honestly some times I wonder if people really want our local players to succeed!!!

Well said mate. Best post on here for a long time. I am heartily sick of the so called fans on this site who proudly announce that they 'hate' Carey, or that they will be pleased to see Skuse go. We must be the only club who does not value home-grown talent and can treat our most notable recent local products in this way.

Well said mate. Best post on here for a long time. I am heartily sick of the so called fans on this site who proudly announce that they 'hate' Carey, or that they will be pleased to see Skuse go. We must be the only club who does not value home-grown talent and can treat our most notable recent local products in this way.

What nonsense.

Just one poster has said he 'hates' Carey, for others the discussion on Carey and Skuse centres on whether they should get new contracts.

Liking them or not liking them doesn't come into it for most posters, and neither should the fact they are local.

Always good to see local lads playing in the team, in an ideal world there would be 11 of them every week. Still, no room for sentiment, Skuse is an average Championship midfielder (that's no bad thing). If he could effect games more he would be a good Championship midfielder.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he doesn't have a place here, but any signing now would have to represent value for money. With Skuse having a long history at the club, quite a few appearances, being given the armband on occasions and his age, i would think he would be looking at a deal that suits him more than it would suit the club right now.

Who 'hates' Louis Carey?

Provided we got a replacement, I actually think Skuse leaving might work out well for both the player and the club.

He's definitely a better player than some make out on here but nonetheless he does seem to have stagnated the last couple of years and a change of scene might get the best out of him.

From our side he's decent but not irreplaceable and I suspect he'd want pretty big wages as one of our senior players. I'd wish him well if he went but I'd not be devastated by it.

Half the team were past it or not good enough before SoD came to the club according to a lot of posters, is there something special about him that brings out the best in players. Players like Skuse who are at best average for the championship should be kept until the manager tells them your not what i need.

Having heard it from the horses mouth I'd say theres some truth to it. Cole was sat quietly eating his Findus lasangne when he let out a burp, 'Well Ex-Skuse me!" he proclaimed loudly. Then on his way out he bumped into some bloke and again he was heard to say 'sorry, Ex-Skuse me" . ... Personally I dont see a need for Ex-Skuse after Ex-Skuse unless theres some reason for it, theres no excuse at all for spreading rumours like that.

My understanding is that City offered Skuse a new contract some time ago which he is not happy with.

He apparently wants a large rise, City have offered him the same, or quite possibly less, than he gets now.

The board have made it abundantly clear that the club are in an age of austerity, the wage bill must be cut, and players who have previously had extremely lucrative wages cannot expect that situation to continue.

They re-sign on the clubs' terms, or not at all.

So what is happening here? Are City desperate to keep Skuse? Obviously not because although a new contract has been offered they are seemingly not meeting his demands and are therefore aware he can walk at the end of the season.

Is Skuse desperate to stay? Again, obviously not because he's stalling on the contract offered and he must know that at some stage the offer may be withdrawn.

Does SO'D really believe Skuse is a key player City should do everything they can to hold on to, an influential, experienced 27 year old he can build his new team around? We don't know. He is bound to call him a 'key player' at this stage because he has few alternatives to call upon. He will though be signing his own players and so - called key players now may not be once a new squad is assembled. Either way, it makes little difference as the board and the player himself will decide on Skuse's future and SO'D will obviously have no say when it comes to wages.

Are other clubs ( we hear very vague rumours of Palace, Ipswich, previously Forest) really interested in Skuse? We don't know, rumours abound in football, especially when players contracts are expiring, and more often than not they have no substance. What we do know for certain is in 8 years at City there has never been any confirmed serious interest in CS.

If he is to stay he must either accept the contract offered, or City must meet his demands, which given the clubs' publicly stated determination to cut the wage bill seems very unlikely.

So if he goes it will be a mutual decision - his choice because although he is already extremely well remunerated he wants more even if he has to go elsewhere, and the clubs' choice as they stick to their guns on what they believe he is worth, and what they can afford.

Football being what it is there may always be a club willing to pay what he believes he is worth of course, but if it comes to a parting of the ways it will be interesting to see how highly rated he is beyond Bristol, because it's very hard to imagine there will be a stampede for his services.

I agree with the opinion that a change may do Skuse a bit of good.

As a player I find him a strange one in that what does he bring to the team that actually "makes a difference"?

Is a he a ball winner in the Gerry Gow mould? No.

Does he protect a back four like Makelele? Our goals conceded record would suggest not.

Does he spray the ball around and play killer passes leading to goals? Hardly.

Does he provide a goalscoring threat? Look at his goalscoring record for the answer.

To me Skuse is a very good athlete with reasonable technical skills and can play simple passes, does a bit of breaking up play, offers a bit of protection to the back four and gets you the very occasional goal but does not do enough in my view that "makes a difference". A bits and pieces player I suppose.

I don't buy into the argument that says he does a lot of "unseen" work - my argument would be he has been an integral part of a non-performing midfield that has been in need of strengthening for years. Wouldn't be gutted if he stayed but won't be crying if he goes either.

He's in a great position at the moment, his current employer still wants him, while it appears others do too, it must be great having such choice in this day and age... Clearly he can sign a nice little earner of a contract (financially its not gonna be peanuts no matter what) and stay - or he can choose to experience life elsewhere (again on good money) by making his ex-Skuse's and leaving.

I don't know any detail about Skuse's contract, but I do know about another player's. It seems the club are playing hard ball and really, really tightening the purse strings.

I think players on the whole go through their careers getting a progressively bigger (£££££) contract and this is the mindset they work within. As far as they are concerned their contract is up for renewal and they are 'entitled' to more, never mind the financial situation that the club, never mind the world is in.

I know their career is short, blah, blah, blah, but maybe the thought of working in the real world is just too far away from their sheltered unreal world they function in. They just seem to get greedy, what is now £9000 a week, needs to be £11000. Not because they need the money but mainly to get one up on other players or the club itself.

I guess players like Baldock, Davies and a few others were brought in on high wages, probably the last of those who will be, and the players soon to be ooc are struggling to come to terms that their new contracts offered are much much less than what they had before but also less than the relative newcomers.

I can see a lot wanting to see if the grass is greener elsewhere, even if we stay up. But many other clubs must be facing similar wage restructures, so the grass might not be much greener afterall.

With the ooc players offers last year, this years ooc players must of known what was coming offer wise.

Wasn't this the reason we didn't keep cisse or offer bikey a deal, Carey took a cut in wages to stay so no big surprise really.

Just a case of chicken I guess who will hold out longest.

• Admin

I don't know any detail about Skuse's contract, but I do know about another player's. It seems the club are playing hard ball and really, really tightening the purse strings.

I think players on the whole go through their careers getting a progressively bigger (£££££) contract and this is the mindset they work within. As far as they are concerned their contract is up for renewal and they are 'entitled' to more, never mind the financial situation that the club, never mind the world is in.

I know their career is short, blah, blah, blah, but maybe the thought of working in the real world is just too far away from their sheltered unreal world they function in. They just seem to get greedy, what is now £9000 a week, needs to be £11000. Not because they need the money but mainly to get one up on other players or the club itself.

I guess players like Baldock, Davies and a few others were brought in on high wages, probably the last of those who will be, and the players soon to be ooc are struggling to come to terms that their new contracts offered are much much less than what they had before but also less than the relative newcomers.

I can see a lot wanting to see if the grass is greener elsewhere, even if we stay up. But many other clubs must be facing similar wage restructures, so the grass might not be much greener afterall.

I know of at least one Summer signing who took a sizeable cut in wages because he wanted first team football.

Archived