IGNORED

The Gulf Between Bristol City And Cardiff City...

the_real_city

Okay we could all look at points in the bag...

But as a club Cardiff City are expecting over 25,000 this Saturday.

When Bristol city played Cardiff at home in the 3rd game of the season (the significance of it being the 3rd game is that you can't come back and now say, 'well you are top of the league you should be selling out the stadium'. Afterall you went top following this early KO), you only had 14,500+ fans at the gate.

That's a difference in attendance of 10,000 people.

A game being played in cold February rather than that scorcher of a day in August when the new season and a great result over palace should have enabled a potentially better attendance.

I just find it quite incredible that Cardiff City have now become a club regularly getting crowds of 23k and upwards (club has has over 35k season ticket applications for next season although its capped at 20k).

And what?

Serious question. Are Cardiff fans looking forward to this game as one they especially want to win? Or does it not mean that much to you?

Perhaps they do and thats why you're expecting 25000.

I know when Swansea were in this league the Bristol City game wasn't that important to you. You were our biggest rivals but we weren't yours etc...etc.. Swansea are obviously a long way ahead of you at the moment.

I find it incredible that you have larger crowds now, thats about %500 increase?

Grangetown again in itself is a rougher area although quite a bit closer to the ground than central. Only thing is from grangetown you aint gunna get a pub if that is what you would be looking for. All pubs from there to the ground are the sorta cardiff main pubs if you like.

And Wat if we wanna take over and drink in ur main pub?

The only gulf is that you have a malaysian millionaire who would not be pumping in millions to keep cardiff alive if he couldnt change the clubs colours to red! You can gloat now, but whats going to happen in ten years when he gets bored? Come back and Ask us if there is a gulf when you have to create a new cardiff afc in the welsh non leagues because you've gone bust in a few years. Tada

So hold on a second.

The_Real_City is telling us that, if you take two football clubs from similar size cities, and one city has two clubs and the other has one, the club from the one-club city gets more fans?

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE LADS - I THINK WE'VE GOT A SCOOP!

In others news, stop trying to Lord it over us just 'cos Swansea are so much bigger and better than you now there's no scope for a proper rivalry anymore...

When Bristol city played Cardiff at home in the 3rd game of the season (the significance of it being the 3rd game is that you can't come back and now say, 'well you are top of the league you should be selling out the stadium'. Afterall you went top following this early KO), you only had 14,500+ fans at the gate.

A game being played in cold February rather than that scorcher of a day in August when the new season and a great result over palace should have enabled a potentially better attendance.

I just find it quite incredible that Cardiff City have now become a club regularly getting crowds of 23k and upwards (club has has over 35k season ticket applications for next season although its capped at 20k).

How far your little club has come since that sunny autumnal day in September 1989 when we had more fans in Ninian Park than Cardiff City did.

The crowd was just over 5,000 odd that day, so you do the maths (if you can) on how small the home attendance was if there was more BCFC there.

I would also like to point out that comparatively speaking and since Cardiff City were promoted to the Championship in 2003, they have had crowds as low as 8,000 (Ipswich, 2005) during which time they haven't finished lower than mid table. Bristol City hasn't had a crowd less than 12,000 despite our last three seasons being spent fighting relegation.

I also believe CCFC has only achieved three sell-outs (excuse the pun) since the opening of your new stadium. The point I'm trying to make is that you're a bunch of fickle ***** with severe delusions of grandeur and the gulf will be a very, very temporary one as your historical disappointing attendances show. Your 'success' won't last forever and neither will your 15,000 new fans.

As you are clearly a fisherman, you should know that it's an estuary and not a gulf.

There once was a club called Cardiff city who played at ninian park. To my knowledge they moved stadium and then disbanded in 2012 i think when a new investor came in, they changed the colour of the shirts, the name, branding etc? The dragons (formerly bluebirds) are apparently in massive debt and continue to live in the shadow of rivals Swansea who are known across England as the biggest club in Wales.

since Sam Hamam told them they're "bigger than barcelona", it's been nothing but "the premiership at all costs"

there is nothing they wouldn't sell to get there, the whimper when they changed colours was despicable and shows how few actually care about the club

they have a small core of real supporters but the majority are glory hunters desperate to see a team they recently used to read about play the likes of Man U

Wow - so much bitterness showing in this thread..... there are lots of real reasons why the attendances are so different that you can point out........ I did not realise so many of our fans were so envious... personally I say fair play to them, and hope we make it to the premiership soon as well.

At the end of the day we are similar sized clubs. Cardiff should expect to be ahead of us in the table seeing as they spent over £10million in transfers this season surprising considering that they had to go on their knees whoring themselves to Tan's fashion sense. If they do get promoted, and it is seeing likely that even they can't bottle it this time, I see them going down the QPR route. Let's just throw money at everything if it's not working. Obviously with the attendance, it is reflective of league position and obviously that bounce you get with a new ground. Luckily for Cardiff their council is one of the most open around for those kind of things, in comparison to Bristol which seems to be the favoured destination for retirees, liberals etc, and is stuck with the status quo.

But your still obsessed with us!

Is it because we have a fan base that still has morals and principles??

it is a gulf when 10,000 represents nearly 65% of the crowd you had! some good points though. By the way... as a football supporter, how do you think we could have prevented changing to red? We had it changed back to blue and then the owner changed it back to red again. We had no power. first game their were protests in the crowd and it made for a tentative atmosphere and as supporters we put this aside to concentrate on our team.

Not one Cardiff fans WANTS red. I hate red I connect with Blue and love our royal blue shirts. I think Blue is more a manly colour and more befits our type of club (no offence guys). What we all know is that when the Malaysians are gone, the next owner will most certainly turn us back blue. It's part of the rollercoaster we have been on for years.

you could play in the welsh premier where you belong and therefore would have no appeal to your foreign owners

Not as big as the gulf between Cardiff Cty and Swansea City.

Swansea - becoming known all over Europe as great footballing side and likely to be playing European Footy next season, compared to Cardiff Reds and their now annual bottling of promotion.

the "gulf" between Bristol city and Cardiff city is called the Bristol channel, it isn't a gulf.

A Malaysian gulf.

At least we're from Bristol and proud of our roots.

I'm not sure where they're from.

If I was a Cardiff fan I'd cut off that protrusion sticking out of my forehead and go and support a proper Welsh club that's proud of its roots, Swansea

I actually hope they go up this season because none of them will be able to celebrate their hollow victory as it will be a team in red, with a funny nick name and the best part of all . . . .

They're not even Welsh

Well Cardiff have a shiny new stadium, a huge catchment area for fans, no rivals in their city and have enjoyed a significant amount of success in recent years. Particularly in avoiding court orders over unpaid debts.

I'm in my 40s, but I can remember being in crowds of 30,000+ at Ashton Gate when we were in the top flight. If we did that again, we'd get simlar. Older Otib posters will have been in even larger crowds.

In the meantin Cardiff fan, pat yourself on the back over your admirable attenance figures - while you're being over to be rogered by your Malaysian overlords again.

We are English...You are Welsh........Two of the proudest nations on this planet bar non.....It's got to be the best hate and the fondest cammaraderie in football.....city's so alike....fans so alike.....this will be the best derby ever, lets all hope it stays reasonably peaceful....Oh and by the way it's not a Gulf...it's called the brizzle channel

We are English...You are Welsh........Two of the proudest nations on this planet bar non.....It's got to be the best hate and the fondest cammaraderie in football.....city's so alike....fans so alike.....this will be the best derby ever, lets all hope it stays reasonably peaceful....Oh and by the way it's not a Gulf...it's called the brizzle channel

I wouldn't say the cities are alike.

Bristol with a proud history going back to the Middle Ages, Britain's second largest city at one point, a larger connurbation even now, noted for hi-tech industries.

Cardiff, built in the mid 19th century by a Scottish aristocrat as a jetty for loading coal from his Valleys coalfields. Noted for the high percentage of the population on disability benefit.

Massive Attack v Charlotte Church. No contest.

I wouldn't say the cities are alike.

Bristol with a proud history going back to the Middle Ages, Britain's second largest city at one point, a larger connurbation even now, noted for hi-tech industries.

Cardiff, built in the mid 19th century by a Scottish aristocrat as a jetty for loading coal from his Valleys coalfields. Noted for the high percentage of the population on disability benefit.

Massive Attack v Charlotte Church. No contest.

Archived