IGNORED

Your Memories Of The Green'un On Saturdays

Never to the dark side

The Bristol central library has all the Bristol green uns up to year 1972 but thats it.

I know the Green Un was discontinued for a time(1972?)

Then started up again only to be discontinued for a final time

Now the questions

Did the green Un finish in 1972?

When did it start up again, and finally when did it finish for the final time

I’m so old I can remember the days before the internet, local radio, Sky Sports etc. The was no information on Saturday matches other than the results on the TV and radio starting at approx 4.40. (Matches finished much earlier then. They started on time; there was only 10 minutes half time; there as very little added time)

In those days the only match reports on the day came in the Green’un. It was delivered just after 6.00 pm and, amazingly, there would be people queuing in the shops waiting for it. The reports usually had a lot of detail on the first half but next to noting on the second half. (Not surprising as the reporters had to send their reports by telephone at half time and full time)

The paper also contained a lot of information about amateur
football and sport in general

I’m so old I can remember the days before the internet, local radio, Sky Sports etc. The was no information on Saturday matches other than the results on the TV and radio starting at approx 4.40. (Matches finished much earlier then. They started on time; there was only 10 minutes half time; there as very little added time)

In those days the only match reports on the day came in the Green’un. It was delivered just after 6.00 pm and, amazingly, there would be people queuing in the shops waiting for it. The reports usually had a lot of detail on the first half but next to noting on the second half. (Not surprising as the reporters had to send their reports by telephone at half time and full time)

I rembember queueing up at the newsagent in the Mall, Clifton, with bated breath to read of the doings of Atyeo and Thresher :city:

It's a wine bar now, of course :(

The paper also contained a lot of information about amateur

football and sport in general

I can also remember the days when we had a green-un and a pink-un. One printed by the Evening World and the other by the Evening Post. :ill:

I can also remember the days when we had a green-un and a pink-un. One printed by the Evening World and the other by the Evening Post. :ill:

Indeed. After the World died, there was a guy at the Park End who always wound up the Post seller by asking for the Pink 'Un.

Indeed. After the World died, there was a guy at the Park End who always wound up the Post seller by asking for the Pink 'Un.

I remember standing in The Enclosure. Some old boy used to sell the Evening Post at half time, he was deaf as a post and the same guy cracked the same gag every week as he bought one... "Got the final scores has it?" "Oh yeah" replied the deaf salesman!! Simpler days eh?

Most match days we (m8 & me both about 12 - 13 yr olds) left AG caught a no9 bus opposite the ground & get off at Hanham Bus Station. Then walked down road to shops opposite the Blue Bowl & bought our Green Un's (printed & delivered already by then -wow wot a service eh? it was like magic or something!) from Chris Crowes newsagent shop. (Chris Crowe ex-City of 'if I had the wings of a sparrow etc etc...' fame :) ) ..

Then, reading reports of the match we'd just seen, off we'd walk down road to fields opposite Butchers Arms, cross a few fields & back home to Park Estate (Cadbury Heath) in time for tea.!

If I had the wings of a sparrow or a crowe, Chris Crowe I'd have bloody well flown home!! :)

The Results were always printed in a funny dark font, but that's one of the things that made the Green Un so unique.

The amateur football scores and reports were often incomplete, as were some of the late kick offs (3.15pm) in the main leagues.

I seem to racall that some of the school's football and rugby occasionally got good coverage, especially St Brendan's College who were one of the strongest school rugby teams in England.

I remember standing in The Enclosure. Some old boy used to sell the Evening Post at half time, he was deaf as a post and the same guy cracked the same gag every week as he bought one... "Got the final scores has it?" "Oh yeah" replied the deaf salesman!! Simpler days eh?

Remember that salesman. Perfect for the job, because he was the only one who wasn't bored to tears with that joke!

The Results were always printed in a funny dark font, but that's one of the things that made the Green Un so unique.

The amateur football scores and reports were often incomplete, as were some of the late kick offs (3.15pm) in the main leagues.

I seem to racall that some of the school's football and rugby occasionally got good coverage, especially St Brendan's College who were one of the strongest school rugby teams in England.

Weren't so good at cricket though. We (QEH) beat them by ten wickets after bowling them out for 4 (four). I guess that's the opposite of a football team running up a cricket score ;)

Does anyone remember the "PINK UN" had the last copy which stopped in the early sixties.Remember the Green un waiting in the shop for them to be delivered, then buying it to see the City report. Also checking other results especially in the Hanham boys League and then sitting down with your tea and studying the local league tables.

I used to wait outside the newsagents in Clouds Hill Road, St George, with loads of other people, for the Green 'Un and the Pink 'Un to arrive. When the bloke arrived in his delivery van there was a swarm into the shop to get both papers then dash home to read the match reports by Peter Godsiff (City) and Robin Perry (Gas).

If you arrived just a couple of minutes late, there were no copies left, such was the thirst for information in those pre-Internet days. Through the evening I devoured everything I could read from HT scores to league tables. Pages 2 and 3 were dedicated to City & Gas news.

In the summer, there was much less demand for the papers but had to be purchased by anyone who played club cricket locally in case they got a mention from Bill Mountjoy!

Late 90s I used to get the train in from Chippenham, by the time I'd got back to Temple Meads there used to be a guy there wondering about the platforms with the Green Un, the first I remember was in John Ward's promotion season, at the time I used to get it for my late grandfather who was a City fan for 75 years, was a pretty good read after the game

I used to wait outside the newsagents in Clouds Hill Road, St George, with loads of other people, for the Green 'Un and the Pink 'Un to arrive. When the bloke arrived in his delivery van there was a swarm into the shop to get both papers then dash home to read the match reports by Peter Godsiff (City) and Robin Perry (Gas).

If you arrived just a couple of minutes late, there were no copies left, such was the thirst for information in those pre-Internet days. Through the evening I devoured everything I could read from HT scores to league tables. Pages 2 and 3 were dedicated to City & Gas news.

In the summer, there was much less demand for the papers but had to be purchased by anyone who played club cricket locally in case they got a mention from Bill Mountjoy!

Remember the Bill Mountjoy phone calls to Claverham, gave him the scores and performances many times.

Remember the Bill Mountjoy phone calls to Claverham, gave him the scores and performances many times.

That guy's phone bill must have been enormous because he'd phone all of the clubs asking for the match scores and who'd scored runs or taken wickets. He was the font of all knowledge for clubs trying to find out how their rivals had got on that day.

Around that era, Herbie Gillam used to write City match reports for the Western Daily Press and, I think also did local radio reports from wherever City were playing.

On May 12th., 1979 the "GreenUn" newspaper was published for the last time.

The “GreenUn” newspaper was reintroduced.at the start of the 97-98 season

I remember when Bristol had two local papers, the rival company issued the "Pink'un". Anyone older than myself ablw to compare & contrast the two please?

Sad thing is, the match reports, although rushed, were far better quality than what appears in the evening post now. And they have a whole day and a half to write them up now.

Journalistic standards really are poor nowadays in local rags.

Sad thing is, the match reports, although rushed, were far better quality than what appears in the evening post now. And they have a whole day and a half to write them up now.

Journalistic standards really are poor nowadays in local rags.

Too true! I could leave AG, walk (not dawdle) to the centre to find the story had been phoned through, typed up & printed, the papers distributed and I could buy a copy of the Green'un to read on the bus home.

Used to buy two copies, one for me, one for the old man, couldn't wait to read the latest transfer speculation.

Great reading the western league reports upto half time,,followed by the final score in the stop press, Happy days!

That guy's phone bill must have been enormous because he'd phone all of the clubs asking for the match scores and who'd scored runs or taken wickets. He was the font of all knowledge for clubs trying to find out how their rivals had got on that day.

Around that era, Herbie Gillam used to write City match reports for the Western Daily Press and, I think also did local radio reports from wherever City were playing.

I wonder what he'd have made of today doing scorescards through the website, pain in the arse it has to be said !

Most match days we (m8 & me both about 12 - 13 yr olds) left AG caught a no9 bus opposite the ground & get off at Hanham Bus Station. Then walked down road to shops opposite the Blue Bowl & bought our Green Un's (printed & delivered already by then -wow wot a service eh? it was like magic or something!) from Chris Crowes newsagent shop. (Chris Crowe ex-City of 'if I had the wings of a sparrow etc etc...' fame :) ) ..

Then, reading reports of the match we'd just seen, off we'd walk down road to fields opposite Butchers Arms, cross a few fields & back home to Park Estate (Cadbury Heath) in time for tea.!

If I had the wings of a sparrow or a crowe, Chris Crowe I'd have bloody well flown home!! :)

I use to work with Chris Crowe's Wife Maggie in the seventies, Chris use to come in to collect her quite often. Top man.

I remember getting a Green Un one Saturday evening from Frank Edolls near Dean Lane. As I walked home, I passed St Paul's church on Coronation Road and spotted thirty or so City Skinheads crouching behind the gravestones, loaded with all sorts of ammunition.

As they approached the church, a large group of Pompey walking down to Temple Meads got ambushed and charged by the City.

A massive fight broke out. The Pompey were chased onto Gaol Ferry Bridge. The fighting seemed to last for ages, but it must have been minutes. It only stopped when the Old Bill came swarming in from all sides and everyone scattered to avoid arrest or instant justice aka police brutality ).

Even though I wasn't involved in the brawl,I instinctively scarpered like everyone else to get away from the Old Bill.

When I finally got home absolutely knackered, I discovered that I'd lost my bl**dy Green Un.

My dear old dad wouldn't have that and sent me out to get another one (with me own money!)

Used to buy two copies, one for me, one for the old man, couldn't wait to read the latest transfer speculation.

Great reading the western league reports upto half time,,followed by the final score in the stop press, Happy days!

Blimey I'd completely forgotten stop press - always used to check that in the EP for a bit of last minute City news!

Archived