IGNORED

Memories Of The Parkend?

Sixtyseconds

Donawa goal against the gas -we sang his name from parkend to rising sun

I was on the EE that night....

The thing I remember about the match most was the Strains of Irene Goodnight had just got going with a few minutes left.....

Donawa an instant Ledge!.........GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. mental!

Although I never stood in the parkend the three things that stays fresh in my memory were (in no particular order)

Louie Donowa's goal against the gas

Chelsea in the FA Cup when they let off flares/fireworks (I was quite young and in the Dolman not sure if my memory is correct)

Portsmouth at home first game of the season early 90's I think it finished 3-3 with either Jacki socring two or maybe Andy Cole? anyway I remember a bit of "crowd trouble" and remember me and my mate seeing a guy in an orange t-shirt throw what looked like a seat from the dolman towards the parkend, it swirled in the air and then bounced off a fan in the parkend, still to this day me and my mate chat about that incident! Crazy!

Jacki didnt just score, he scored a stunner and was class that day

The thing I remember about the match most was the Strains of Irene Goodnight had just got going with a few minutes left.....

Donawa an instant Ledge!.........GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. mental!

I was also in the East End that night - bloody brilliant. A penalty save from...err...ummm... Andy Leaning? Before the Louie Donowa goal.

I remember the whole ground all chanting the one-nil, one-nil, one-nil song whilst simultaneously pointing to the Gash.

I think it may have been the first derby back in the old 2nd division, a new decade, and a new start of dominance over the gas...after a few years of struggle against them.

Are you sure?

I remember 3 sides of the ground singing, Irene, **** off, Irene, Irene **** off, unbroken for at least a couple of minutes.

When I got home I was told RB had said it was the Rovers' fans singing their club song, and describing it as 'incredible support'. :doh:

EDIT: Just looked at the video below, and it was all four sides of the ground of course, with the Park End still in full swing.

Great night, ground was rammed

Yeh, it was heaving that night.

I was high-up right at the back on the terrace that used to curve round the corner on the right.Our cousin from Australia was visiting my family and came with us that night. He was City through and through, but was raised in Fishponds, which was mainly Rovers then.

Wasn't that the night the SAGs started chanting during the one minute's silence for Des Williams (or some former City legend)?

After that, the night became even more hostile, with angry City fans in the Open End and the Dolman baying for blood all night.

The place went mental when Donowa scored - the roar that greeted his goal was one of the loudest I've ever heard at the Gate.

Although I never stood in the parkend the three things that stays fresh in my memory were (in no particular order)

Louie Donowa's goal against the gas

Chelsea in the FA Cup when they let off flares/fireworks (I was quite young and in the Dolman not sure if my memory is correct)

Portsmouth at home first game of the season early 90's I think it finished 3-3 with either Jacki socring two or maybe Andy Cole? anyway I remember a bit of "crowd trouble" and remember me and my mate seeing a guy in an orange t-shirt throw what looked like a seat from the dolman towards the parkend, it swirled in the air and then bounced off a fan in the parkend, still to this day me and my mate chat about that incident! Crazy!

More than that, when they realised they were going to lose the Chelsea fans, who had the whole end on the day, were throwing things from the Open End towards the Grandstand.

I was in the Enclosure and you could hear heavy metal objects ( no idea what - possibly barrier nuts?) regularly thumping against the side of the Grandstand and they were being thrown with such force a City fan high up in the seats was hit by one.

Spot on IHYB.

Park End WAS Crackers Corner ...plus

Wolves, Xmas floodlight opener, 37k & the sole reason I'm still following 'bl**dy rubbish' nearly half a century later;

Anglo Scottish St Mirren - wet,cold,sparse, delirious;

First Div 1 packed to the gunnels, can't move, Houdini nights;

Tottenham paying a visit;

Witnessing first hand the napalm effects of a fresh Clarks on stray supporters paying a visit;

Tottenham in the ice/fog fest;

Watching for the half time Clarks pie trays being delivered & running fast;

The bloke with the BR industrial spanner undoing the nuts on the safety barriers;

Seeing my hero Bowles, in agony, being abused at close quarters;

The unfortunate demise of the Sally Army big-base drummer pre the League Cup SF 2nd Leg;

I'm still looking for the sod who pi**ed down the back of my leg circa 75 who couldn't be ar**d to battle through the crowds to enjoy the facilities...

Never better....

The napalm effect was mentioned on here a few years ago; it was a Newcastle fan who was the victim. Throw a Clarks pie end on and the hard crust caused physical pain. Throw it ao the top or base hit someone and the covering broke allowing the hot gravy etc, to burst out.

Abusing Stan Bowles; that was my mate Phil & I. We only did so as we thought he was pretending to be hurt so as to gain a free kick (QPR were losing at the time). We were told off at the time for abusing an injured man and we explained ourselves then. Nearly 40 years later we're still doing it.

The Open End for me too.

I recall a b-I-g bloke named Mervyn, a doorman in some Bristol club I think, who used to hold court there in the seventies. A funny guy.

I and my friends used to stand behind big merv - the stick... sorry banter with the police was great. After every defeat he would say thats it never coming down again. One day he said we would never get promotion(from 3rd tier after spending a long time there) as long as he lived. Next game he want there and we all thought he for once not coming down. The next game still not there..... then we heard he was found dead at home..... that season we were promoted!! Scary - a legend and part of my teenage years

Never actually sat in there when it was open (I was just a nipper when it was turned into the Atyeo) though I can remember one Nov 5th, being sat in the Dolman with the family and watching the display from the parkend. Some poor soul had to light hundreds of the things. Anyone else remember this? But I've since sat in Block H, like my late grandfather and my old man did - Crackers Corner. 3 generations watching City from the same viewpoint.

More than that, when they realised they were going to lose the Chelsea fans, who had the whole end on the day, were throwing things from the Open End towards the Grandstand.

I was in the Enclosure and you could hear heavy metal objects ( no idea what - possibly barrier nuts?) regularly thumping against the side of the Grandstand and they were being thrown with such force a City fan high up in the seats was hit by one.

They were held in at the end and were hurling lumps of concrete that they ripped up at the City fans as they exited.

The police sergeant who 'policed' the gangway who clearly hated everything and everyone to do with football. Modelled himself on Blakey of 'On the Buses' fame.

I got arrested ( could have been by him?) for using a "hand gesture" at the QPR fans once

when in the Parkend.

I tried to argue that I was just waving,the copper laughed and said "do you wave like that to your mum".

Re fireworks,I can remember Newcastle fans setting off rockets from the away terrace back in the old first Division.

The open park end coloured my life forever. My biggest wish is to get standing back in football stadiums. Tbh ivwould love to be in an open end again .....would love one more time stood on an open park end with away fans near by. If the gate gets redevolped i hope the east end is returned to the home fans and becomes what it was. Remeber west ham getting a gert hammering in the east end.the east end was and is the twelfth man. Parkenders we were frontiersmen.

Archived