IGNORED

Memories Of The Parkend?

Sixtyseconds

The Open End for me too.

I recall a b-I-g bloke named Mervyn, a doorman in some Bristol club I think, who used to hold court there in the seventies. A funny guy.

I called it the Open End and. yes., I remember Mervyn. Did he not wear a floppy combat hat from the Malayan campaign?

Wolves rushing & bending the railings in the centre section ..........

Whenever I went in the EE I remember that you could clearly see the "kink in the railings on the OE for years ...well untill they pulled it all down for the Ateyeo I guess..

Everton scousers with real curly hair and taches ...not wigs.....waving trophies they had "obtained" from Brummies on trip down

Standing in line at HT for the brick lavvy at the back v Cardiff , next to the big corrugated gates that were padlocked....but not that night for some reason ...a stupid taffy head poked through.....next thing "BANG" mayhem... think that was the game that afterwards we filled the entrance alley with about 300+ shouting "we want Cardiff" and they tore into the turnstiles trying to get out at us (bill had locked them in)

Saddest memory though is watching Cheese go down right in front of us v Stoke so early in our first season back in the top flight ......little did we know the affect that moment would have

As a club BCFC we were suddenly very fashionable ........the wurzels having chart hits at same time as we won promotion to the top division is not a coincedence.....and shows the impact sucess on pitch can have on a whole region

While on the subject of the open end ...a question I have always wanted to ask on here

Myself and several friends as well as others of course are on one of the big pictures on the wall as you walk out of the Dolman bar..

This was taken in the open end circa 89/90 I think.....and is also in the "Bristol City 100 years" book on one of the fixture stats pages..

Anyhow...question is.......anyone else on here in that Photo?

There are a lot of familiar / regular faces in the picture ....real characters & faces you would see week in week out...home & away...(still see some of them about now)

Getting very wet.

Yep! My first game v PNE in 68-69 was just that. It was also chucking it down that night in October 73 when the few of us on the Open End saw that long clearance from Cashley bounce over Jeff Wealand and into the Hull net right in front of us.

Used to go in the Open End when we got promoted in 1990 even though it cost 50p more than the Eastend (£3.50).

In one match me and my mates managed to climb along the outside ledge of the fence at the back of the terrace to the empty middle pen which gave us a brilliant view of the match for about 2 minutes until stewards saw us. Pretty ******* dumb thing to do in hindsight.

Interesting. My old Nan said Crackers Corner was the area of terracing that was near the Dolman, and yet I've heard people mention it as the corner of the East End (Williams End), so where exactly was it?

Top corner of Open End nearest Dolman.

They contnued in there after the Open End segregation right up to when the Atyeo was built. I suppose nowadays they'd be in breach of something or another.

Open End rammed so tight for the fantastic crucial games against Man U and Liverpool at the end of the first season in the First, so packed you didn't need to have your feet on the ground.

Cheese hitting the rock hard late summer pitch knee first, awful.

Giving up and switching to the East End after stewards started banning people who looked like trouble (hallo Mick).

Walking out past horrible West Ham fans throwing coins, concrete etc at us while they were held in the away section.

I remember a game late 60s/early 70s.

At half-time, Tank Docherty and several others left the East End. City infiltrated the Open End to get close up to Leicester's "finest". The Leicester boys became very quiet when they sussed what was going on around them.

Unfortunately, no-one realised the Old Bill had twigged and followed.

As soon as things kicked off the police swarmed all over our lot. A few were arrested. The rest, including me, got a good dose of police brutality (plus a few Alsatian bites) and ejected with a heavy kick up the arse. Much to the relief and amusement of our Leicester friends.

Different times.

Top corner of Open End nearest Dolman.

They contnued in there after the Open End segregation right up to when the Atyeo was built. I suppose nowadays they'd be in breach of something or another.

any more info nick? so city fans were allowed in with away fans?

can remember being in parkend v Chelsea 75/76 and being in the middle of the cfc lot with their silk scarves aloft and I was about 7

no segregation then I don't think

Sketchy memory here but I can remember an Easter Monday early kick off against Fulham. A real game of two halves. First half hour we got soaked and were one nil down. Really warm sun came out and we won something like 5-1. I can certainly remember thinking I'll never come in the open end again to thinking I'm coming on here every week within the space of half an hour.

I remember a game late 60s/early 70s.

At half-time, Tank Docherty and several others left the East End. City infiltrated the Open End to get close up to Leicester's "finest". The Leicester boys became very quiet when they sussed what was going on around them.

Unfortunately, no-one realised the Old Bill had twigged and followed.

As soon as things kicked off the police swarmed all over our lot. A few were arrested. The rest, including me, got a good dose of police brutality (plus a few Alsatian bites) and ejected with a heavy kick up the arse. Much to the relief and amusement of our Leicester friends.

Different times.

Early 1970's and I've always hated Leicester, mainly because of this as they ran!

Archived