IGNORED

Bristol Evening Post - Clueless

TinnionForEngland

Would people be happy if the Bristol Evening Post didn't exist?

It's not a loaded question and i am not defending it, it's just so many on here hate it.

Is it more that you think the Editors/Journalists should be replace?

I think it's important to have a good local paper.

If you didn't attend the game and your only source of information as to what happened last night was this rag, you would see that apparently Brighton had 4 shots on target and 3 off target, also apparently Tom Heaton had to smother a shot from 'rampaging' defender Calderon? Errr what?

If it makes you so angry then why read it? In fact if what a local paper reports makes you so angry that you feel you've to comment about it on the internet then perhaps it is not the paper with a problem

It's not a loaded question and i am not defending it, it's just so many on here hate it.

It does no longer exist, 'the post' on the other hand...

Can i add Radio Bristol who decided to play 20 minutes of pre recorded Rugby and Cricket interviews post match.

Spoilt my drive home it did.

So much so i ended up listening to welsh football, quite scary we could well have Malaysia Dragons, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham all competing in the English league soon! :o

It's more the fact that it's appaling journalism and makes me think they wern't even there, how else could they think Brighton threatened our goal 7 times? i don't buy the paper but i will have a read now and again and just thought it was shocking, you obviously think it's good so that's fine.

How you infer my opinion of the aforementioned publication from that statement is bewildering. Is it, perhaps, that I didn't automatically jump on the band wagon?

It's more the fact that it's appaling journalism and makes me think they wern't even there, how else could they think Brighton threatened our goal 7 times? i don't buy the paper but i will have a read now and again and just thought it was shocking, you obviously think it's good so that's fine.

No i don't, it's just that some people despise it and i wondered if it were more the current staff rather than the vehicle itself.

I do think that local media outlets are important and i think 'The Post' could do a lot better, but i think it should still be here,

Given that so many posts on this forum have said that Brighton had no shots on/off target, I am surprised that the post has printed something different.

Perhaps they have got themselves a new source for Bristol City news and information?

I think the EP and the WDP, for that matter, have gone down a hill ever since the printing of it was moved from Bristol to Didcot.

In my opinion you rip the guts, the originality and the love, yes you need it to run a decent regional newspaper, out of any news print when you print it outside the region let alone the city in which it serves.

Rothermere has been a shareholder in the business since the 1930's so its not as if we can blame the Mail Group in recent times.

Problem is there is no competition. Remind me again, someone please, who printed the Green-Un?

Oh how many might wish David Sullivan had bought more shares in the business back along !!

Anyway, its not even called the Evening Post anymore is it?

Can i add Radio Bristol who decided to play 20 minutes of pre recorded Rugby and Cricket interviews post match.

Spoilt my drive home it did.

I agree with this and to be honest it's very unlike Radio Bristol to do something like this.

I couldn't understand why they didn't have callers ringing in like on a saturday. I found it quite deflating to listen to 6 nations rubbish.. it's a football show highlighting City not Rugger!

I ended up tuning to Radio 5, and luckily I flicked back just in time to hear SO'D.

I'm hoping they won't do that again.. but I do wonder if they do the same to Rovers tonight!

Exactly...

Given that so many posts on this forum have said that Brighton had no shots on/off target, I am surprised that the post has printed something different.

Perhaps they have got themselves a new source for Bristol City news and information?

Yes, they make it up as they go along :grr:

If you didn't attend the game and your only source of information as to what happened last night was this rag, you would see that apparently Brighton had 4 shots on target and 3 off target, also apparently Tom Heaton had to smother a shot from 'rampaging' defender Calderon? Errr what?

Only action for Heaton was coming out to claim a few crosses - and Calderon was not so much a ramaging defender as a sham-feigning defender.

It makes me wonder if the Brighton Argus is with the same group. They sent a reporter and the lazy Post just decided to share that copy. Maybe Stockhausen was wrapped around a lampost again, or something?

I know the north west is slightly different, but when you listen to what Century FM provide on Matchdays, it makes you think that the appetite for sport in Bristol just isn't there.

Even the BBC don't seem interested. It makes me smile how we have loads of local rugby teams, local football teams, entertaining phone ins and yet come 6 o'clock, lets wheel out Geoff Barker and the rock n roll hour.

The listening figures must plumit.

I know the north west is slightly different, but when you listen to what Century FM provide on Matchdays, it makes you think that the appetite for sport in Bristol just isn't there.

Even the BBC don't seem interested. It makes me smile how we have loads of local rugby teams, local football teams, entertaining phone ins and yet come 6 o'clock, lets wheel out Geoff Barker and the rock n roll hour.

The listening figures must plumit.

Maybe it's just me, but on the drive back I'm glad Geoff Barker comes on as a relief to some of the clueless witterings from 20man's callers.

Last night though, Trevor Fry! Has he got Alzheimer's or something? First he called OMD's Andy Humphries "Harrison" then he could neither remember the name of the film, the French Lieutenant's Woman OR where it was set.

I stuck a CD on.

Maybe it's just me, but on the drive back I'm glad Geoff Barker comes on as a relief to some of the clueless witterings from 20man's callers.

Last night though, Trevor Fry! Has he got Alzheimer's or something? First he called OMD's Andy Humphries "Harrison" then he could neither remember the name of the film, the French Lieutenant's Woman OR where it was set.

I stuck a CD on.

remember its for local people!!!

Well he did have to smother a kick of the ball from Calderon which was going in the net. Whether that constitutes a shot is anyone's guess.

I think the EP and the WDP, for that matter, have gone down a hill ever since the printing of it was moved from Bristol to Didcot.

In my opinion you rip the guts, the originality and the love, yes you need it to run a decent regional newspaper, out of any news print when you print it outside the region let alone the city in which it serves.

Rothermere has been a shareholder in the business since the 1930's so its not as if we can blame the Mail Group in recent times.

Problem is there is no competition. Remind me again, someone please, who printed the Green-Un?

Oh how many might wish David Sullivan had bought more shares in the business back along !!

Anyway, its not even called the Evening Post anymore is it?

No longer owned by Associated Newspapers (Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday etc), it was always part of the Northcliffe Newspapers Group which was the regional arm of Associated. The complete Northcliffe Group, which includes a big chunk of the English regional press, daily and weekly, was recently sold to a new company called Local World, they also merged the Iliffe Newspaper Group (Cambridge, Burton, Staffordshire, Luton) with it. No longer printed in Didcot, I think it might be moving to a print plant in Weymouth.

In other parts of the country daily newspapers with low circulation figures have been forced to go weekly (Bath Chronicle is an example), if people don't buy the paper - remember it is more than just sport - it will be gone in a matter of a few years and you will all need an iPad to access digital editions.

It still offers fantastic value for money for local news, buy it or lose it, simples.

I stuck a CD on.

Some of the callers are priceless.

The lad from Yeovil has me in stitches every time. A gas head (from Horfield!) who rarely attends and also there is a city fan who rings up and always starts asking Geoff questions, like there in the pub or something.

The whole thing could be better. Get some local ex sports people on, a bit more studio debate, engage wit the reporters more, encourage more callers from all local teams.

It could be so much better, but it's like the controller of Radio Bristol knows it in his remit to provide some sport coverage and does the minimum neccessary.

I know budgets are tight but i'm sure some would do it just for exposure.

Some of the callers are priceless.

The lad from Yeovil has me in stitches every time. A gas head (from Horfield!) who rarely attends and also there is a city fan who rings up and always starts asking Geoff questions, like there in the pub or something.

The whole thing could be better. Get some local ex sports people on, a bit more studio debate, engage wit the reporters more, encourage more callers from all local teams.

It could be so much better, but it's like the controller of Radio Bristol knows it in his remit to provide some sport coverage and does the minimum neccessary.

I know budgets are tight but i'm sure some would do it just for exposure.

"Horfield Gas" is wonderful isn't he? If they've lost - regardless of the circumstances - it's: "Well Geoff, it's diabolical. I've never known it worse down there..." When they win - it could be an undeserved spawn against Barnet - and it's like they've just landed the world club trophy. Every time!

:laughcont:

No longer owned by Associated Newspapers (Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday etc), it was always part of the Northcliffe Newspapers Group which was the regional arm of Associated. The complete Northcliffe Group, which includes a big chunk of the English regional press, daily and weekly, was recently sold to a new company called Local World, they also merged the Iliffe Newspaper Group (Cambridge, Burton, Staffordshire, Luton) with it. No longer printed in Didcot, I think it might be moving to a print plant in Weymouth.

In other parts of the country daily newspapers with low circulation figures have been forced to go weekly (Bath Chronicle is an example), if people don't buy the paper - remember it is more than just sport - it will be gone in a matter of a few years and you will all need an iPad to access digital editions.

It still offers fantastic value for money for local news, buy it or lose it, simples.

That is why I mentioned Rothermere, Northcliffe major shareholder back yonder. Clearly you are on the money though with more up to date news on ownership.

I suspect had papers remained truly local and not sold out to tempting offers some would have remained... I am sure there is one shining example out there somewhere and probably a few. Noted that the circulation, which at one time was well over 150k, is now around the 30k mark but it is, partly, a self fulfilling prophecy that you dumb down the paper, you add in commercial space, you generic 'up' the stories and you end up with just that, falling sales.

I believe I am right in saying that the highest selling 'quality' sunday paper is the Sunday Telegraph. Previously they were all known as broadsheets as we know but since to my recollection it is the last one left, that moniker has all but died as a heading. The point being, and this is regardless of political slant one angles, this is the most in depth reporting with far more stories than any other paper on a sunday; people will buy quality if it is there; just look at this forum, most agree the 'Post' is a shadow of what it was and might actually buy it again if the reporting was even half decent most of the time.

One of the major killers for local papers was the rise of titles like Trade It and Autotrader, then the arrival of Gumtree and its like. Huge amount of revenue disappeared.

Then throw in the rise of the internet and it is a downward spiral for newspapers.

Sportwise if they had journalists worthy of the name they could publish some in depth analysis, a proper analytical review of games or indeed anything which needed some knowledge, thought and the ability to construct a sentence. Ah! I think I might have spotted the flaw in my suggestion.

Ah well, let them keep on recycling crap lifted from elsewhere, it is their own redundancy slip they are writing..........

Archived