IGNORED

Bristol Evening Post - Clueless

TinnionForEngland

Some of the callers are priceless.

The lad from Yeovil has me in stitches every time. A gas head (from Horfield!) who rarely attends and also there is a city fan who rings up and always starts asking Geoff questions, like there in the pub or something.

The whole thing could be better. Get some local ex sports people on, a bit more studio debate, engage wit the reporters more, encourage more callers from all local teams.

It could be so much better, but it's like the controller of Radio Bristol knows it in his remit to provide some sport coverage and does the minimum neccessary.

I know budgets are tight but i'm sure some would do it just for exposure.

I like that Hedgehog chap who Tweets in - he talks a lot of sense ;)

No, you're right. They have to cover football, but they'd much rather do rugby if they have to do sport at all.

Do you hear the snippets of daytime 'shows' they play during gaps in the football? Quite mind-bogglingly banal - and they are (presumably) the best bits :o

Aint read the evil post in years, I do all the newspapers & mags at my job and we don't stock it(in Wells) only thing I thought it was good for was the jobs supplement

Other local competition is western daily press, which today City didnt even get backpage, was summit about Ward saying he's guna keep Rovers up and the man united game, which to me is dire, who here reads the wdp anyway? To me it feels like a paper you read when you retire

TBH local newspapers round here are shocking as it is anyway, the post as its known now can get away with sh1t reporting because they have no other competitors, so will continue to do sweet FA, or copy and paste off the bbc website and use their own words, just like us young'uns (present still in education)- 30 did our homework at school

Don't believe all you read

In other news kate and william are having a daughter :P

Some of the callers are priceless.

The lad from Yeovil has me in stitches every time. A gas head (from Horfield!) who rarely attends and also there is a city fan who rings up and always starts asking Geoff questions, like there in the pub or something.

The whole thing could be better. Get some local ex sports people on, a bit more studio debate, engage wit the reporters more, encourage more callers from all local teams.

It could be so much better, but it's like the controller of Radio Bristol knows it in his remit to provide some sport coverage and does the minimum neccessary.

I know budgets are tight but i'm sure some would do it just for exposure.

I actually feel sorry for 20man. I know he gets a bit of stick sometimes on the forum but you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. The programme obviously has a budget of approx 25p so he has to rely on listeners’ calls / texts etc to fill the time. Unfortunately it’s usually the same old faithful bunch each week saying the same things.

I like your idea about getting some local ex sports people / callers from local teams on the programme. Even the BBC could afford this

Aint read the evil post in years, I do all the newspapers & mags at my job and we don't stock it(in Wells) only thing I thought it was good for was the jobs supplement

Other local competition is western daily press, which today City didnt even get backpage, was summit about Ward saying he's guna keep Rovers up and the man united game, which to me is dire, who here reads the wdp anyway? To me it feels like a paper you read when you retire

TBH local newspapers round here are shocking as it is anyway, the post as its known now can get away with sh1t reporting because they have no other competitors, so will continue to do sweet FA, or copy and paste off the bbc website and use their own words, just like us young'uns (present still in education)- 30 did our homework at school

Don't believe all you read

In other news kate and william are having a daughter :P

don't mess with the western daily press!

Can i add Radio Bristol who decided to play 20 minutes of pre recorded Rugby and Cricket interviews post match.

Spoilt my drive home it did.

Absolutely, I got back to the car hoping for a snippet of SOD being interviewed or the usual likes of BB's thoughts on the game.. and we got that. Why can't they extend it to 10.30 as well during the week?

Absolutely, I got back to the car hoping for a snippet of SOD being interviewed or the usual likes of BB's thoughts on the game.. and we got that. Why can't they extend it to 10.30 as well during the week?

5 live was much more interesting listening to the whinging mancs!

20pence does the best with what he's got to be fair to him, he's the only person on bbc bristol worth listening too

make you right there monkeh very diplomatic even though hes ex gas

at least the coverage of the football on RB has improved from years ago where you'd hear crap music from the likes of dire straits(very apt at times) get a mystery voice and then the presenter would say theres been a goal at wherever city were playing.

night games even worse the show wouldn't start till good 20 minutes after start of game and you never got live commentary unless it was rugby

If you didn't attend the game and your only source of information as to what happened last night was this rag, you would see that apparently Brighton had 4 shots on target and 3 off target, also apparently Tom Heaton had to smother a shot from 'rampaging' defender Calderon? Errr what?

Probably written by a woman. Next they will be flying planes and driving buses, God help us when they start trying to vote!

Can i add Radio Bristol who decided to play 20 minutes of pre recorded Rugby and Cricket interviews post match.

Spoilt my drive home it did.

They did but I reasoned that they don't have enough time mid-week for a fans phone in as on a Saturday. Why else wouldn't they have one? Plus they were hoping O'Driscoll would hold his post interview before 10pm when they change programmes.

Rather than listen to pre- recorded Rugby/cricket interviews I changed to AM and listened to Radio 5 and Talksport. At least you get some football news.

Printed newspapers are finished, just go online for the news, get a headline your interested in and do a search.

or switch on the TV for more local stuff.

For football news it must be log on to otib.

The inexorable decline you are right about; finished?... lets not write the final epitaph just yet.

There is something very appealing about getting a big broadsheet out, with all the sections, sprawling it out over a large wooden outdoor table with two or three loved ones doing the same, picking over the juicy headlines and in depth reporting, getting news print on your fingers, scoffing a roast dinner with a pint in a typical english country pub with a local cricket match on in the background over at the village green... arghhhhh..... bootiful.

Post and WDP = same owner and almost same paper, you read papers for a job.. you should know that fella. lorra larfs.

new owners for both since Nov 2012 says this:-

“We’re going to stop the trend of cost reduction for the sake of cost reduction in the regional newspaper business. We’re going to grow the business.

“It will be more efficient, but there will be more accomplished people handling more content and handling more sales.”

I say... no sign of it yet then. Stockhausen and Co... are you listening?

For those that don't regularly attend matches,the need to read up on matches is there, so often use the press for information.

If that information is incorrects, for whatever reason, or biassed, then the perception of that game is swayed by what they have read. If they read that there was a shot from a rampaging fullback, it gives the impression that he was rampaging regularly. Rather than having a one off rampaging run, altogether different things. The question might be, why did the reporter write his report this way with definate inaccuracies. Could it be he has a gripe aginst the club/fans? or is he just useless? Or both?

I don't believe we have ever had a favourable relationship with the media, either locally or nationally. I'm fed up reading reports on city matches, where we've had the obligatory mention in the last sentence, whether we're playing a top popular club or a small club with a well known manager. We are regularly written about in the reports as a, by the way.

The blue few on the other hand have survived with great support from the local media. Perhaps it's an underdog thing and the fact that they get people into influential positions, within the local media..

Archived