IGNORED

Carey And The Appearance Record

North London Red

Quick question, how far away from Atyeo's appearance record is Carey?

The only semi-reliable source I can find is Soccerbase, which suggests he's on 640, five short of Atyeo's 645.

Also, how far away is Carey from a return to the first team?

Just a thought that with games running out (only nine left this season) he may not play enough games this season to equal or break the record.

Got nothing whatsoever against Louis he is a true legend and he has not let us down when he's played this season, but he has struggled all season with fitness, 15 appearances is not good enough for a new contract, however close he gets to Big John's record and on that subject I don't want to sound harsh but Atyeo got the record by being a one club man, Louis would have surpassed the record sometime ago had he not turned down a contract in 2004 and moved to Coventry, in our financial position every penny counts and that money could be better spent IMO.

Got nothing whatsoever against Louis he is a true legend and he has not let us down when he's played this season, but he has struggled all season with fitness, 15 appearances is not good enough for a new contract, however close he gets to Big John's record and on that subject I don't want to sound harsh but Atyeo got the record by being a one club man, Louis would have surpassed the record sometime ago had he not turned down a contract in 2004 and moved to Coventry, in our financial position every penny counts and that money could be better spent IMO.

Kinda agree, and with respect to Carey, in my eyes, even if he breaks the record, he will never be held in the same reverence, and be recognised at the same Level as atyeo. Though I don't think we will ever see anyone like atyeo again in the future.

A pay as you play deal would not cost the club anything, unless of course Louis is out there on the pitch and playing well.

Kinda agree, and with respect to Carey, in my eyes, even if he breaks the record, he will never be held in the same reverence, and be recognised at the same Level as atyeo. Though I don't think we will ever see anyone like atyeo again in the future.

all the records now are not on the same playing field, ateyo as far as i know only played league and fa cup.

nothing against carey but big jon should keep the record.

christ its like leading scorers in the champions league, how can you compare amount of goals against straight k.o

A pay as you play deal would not cost the club anything, unless of course Louis is out there on the pitch and playing well.

There's no such thing as a ';free' pay as you pay deal.

The player will always be on a retaining wage, just get a lot extra when he actually plays as well.

There's really no prospect of Carey playing next season, or there certainly shouldn't be if the club has any intention of moving forward.

Time for him to go.

Big John is as much a one man club as Carey i. e. A two man club. He may have played less games for his 1st club than Carey did for Cov, but none the less he still played games for Portsmouth

Bar from letting the club down when he left us?

More the club letting him and other local players down, by paying them a lot less than other players who constantly let the club down.

Or do we gloss over that fact? :)

I am not arguing for sentimental reasons, I think if the financial deal is right I.e Louis only makes any serious money by actually playing in the first team, then it makes sense to retain a player who has proved this season he can still cut it at Championship level.

Pedantic point; to equal or break the appearance record, does a player have to start games or just make an appearance as say a 90th minute substitute?

Sub appearances count. Which is why Big John's record will be viewed as better as there weren't any back then. 1965 I think subs were introduced

As much as I like Louis and reckon he'll probably get some form of play and pay player/coach 1 year deal next season, he'll probably break the record. But I can't see a stand/bar named after him simply because he's a good player but not our greatest. Big John stuck with us for his career and played for England. You can't really equal that sort of achievement in this day and age.

This sounds a bit harsh but I hope he doesn't beat it, as if he does come back in to the team it's either cus we are letting in goals or Fonts/Tangs get injured were looking so strong at the back at the moment, he is a mr city but I would not give him another year, get him coaching the youths. Like another poster said if he stayed he would had already broke the record.

If Louis is to break Big John's appearances record then he should do so legitmately, by which I mean by deservingly being picked to play the requisite number of games. There should be no sentimentality involved to contrive him breaking the record by bringing him on for the last couple of minutes of a match or awarding him a contract extension which is unwarranted.

If he breaks the record, fine - well done Louis. If he doesn't then that's fine too.

Archived