IGNORED

Manns Screamer

tiz

One of my first city games, saw this from the boys enclosure. I knew it was special then, but only from 800+ games later do I realise how special.

My brothers mate missed the goal because he was fannying around looking for the change he'd dropped in the area behind the boys enclosure/in front of the dolman.

I was stood behind the line of flight in the eastend.
To this day i don`t know how i managed to see the goal.

According to the number of people on this forum over the years that were in the same spot as me, i can`t believe that i wasn`t crushed.

Shilts defo got hit by a dart....I guess someone held a grudge about what he did to Cheese.........

He definitely didn't get HIT by a dart - the England keeper getting hit by a dart would've been on the national news for days on end.

A Man.Utd FAN who was hit by a dart was front page news around then.

I was stood behind the line of flight in the eastend.

To this day i don`t know how i managed to see the goal.

According to the number of people on this forum over the years that were in the same spot as me, i can`t believe that i wasn`t crushed.

Haha! Yes a bit like the amount of people who saw Scotty Murray cup his ear to the Cardiff fans, I don't remember there being 10,000 City fans in Cardiff that day.

I was at both the Cardiff game and the centre section of the East end when Jimmy Mann scored against Forest, so you can add me to the statistics.

I can remember in an interview after, he said something along the lines of wearing a new pair of boots that day that didn't fit too well, so he just belted the ball because he wasn't feeling too confident to control and pass it.

Jimmy Mann played for City from 1974 to 1982

The video recorder never really arrived till circa 1979

Can some one put a date on the goal Jimmy Mann scored

22nd September 1979.

It was certainly shown on local TV, maybe match of the day but I don't think so.

He definitely didn't get HIT by a dart - the England keeper getting hit by a dart would've been on the national news for days on end.

A Man.Utd FAN who was hit by a dart was front page news around then.

I was at the game and altho the memory banks aren't what they used to be I was sure Shilton needed treatment ?? Whatever, it was a great goal. Were you there then Nogbad ?

Was in the Dolman for that game - wasn't it a cup game?

Sat right level with where he smashed it.......and it just flew & flew & well you get the gist

Remember HTV said they worked out the distance by counting the number of grass cut streaks which the then grounsdman said were each 5 yards wide or somat like that...

Was in the Dolman for that game - wasn't it a cup game?

Sat right level with where he smashed it.......and it just flew & flew & well you get the gist

Remember HTV said they worked out the distance by counting the number of grass cut streaks which the then grounsdman said were each 5 yards wide or somat like that...

defo weren't a cup game fba

I was at the game and altho the memory banks aren't what they used to be I was sure Shilton needed treatment ?? Whatever, it was a great goal. Were you there then Nogbad ?

I certainly was there Kev., unbelievable strike from 'SuperMann'. I can't remember a player ever being hit by a dart in the history of English football.

I also witnessed the Mellor dart throwing incident from level with the edge of the area in the Enclosure. It was an end of season match a week or two before Fulham were playing West Ham in the Cup Final, and Bobby Moore was playing for them.

After the incident a group of police piled into the middle of the EE and were resisted, leading to a brawl and 9 arrests. A really hot day as I recall.

The other notable incident was at QPR, must have been '78ish when a knife was thrown in to the QPR penalty area from the City fans ( well, it was actually home and away fans in there with no segregation) in the open end. Phil Parkes was their keeper who pointed it out to the ref. I was working in London at the time and a close up picture of the knife embedded in the turf was the lead story of the main London news on the Monday evening.

I'm pretty sure it was the same weekend when a Man.Utd fan was pictured luridly on the front page of the Sunday papers with a dart fully through the bridge of his nose, a victim of a Liverpool fan in the 'Annie Road' end.

Jimmy Mann, Our Dad's favourite player.

With a shot like that should've shot more and taken more free kicks. It's a long time ago but didn't Hunter take the majority of free kicks?

My faded memory is also telling me that Gerry Sweeney also scored a screamer against Forest.

Anyone else recall this or has time taken it's toll on me?

For the record I was sitting in the dolman level with Jimmy when he hit it...I can still see in my mind the top corner shaking with PS still flying through the air!!

Dont remember Gerry getting one against them at anytime and the score on the day of the Mann goal was 1-1.

However ask Gerry about that goal at Charlton (in 76)....he'll know exactly what you mean....

Jimmy Mann, Our Dad's favourite player.

With a shot like that should've shot more and taken more free kicks. It's a long time ago but didn't Hunter take the majority of free kicks?

My faded memory is also telling me that Gerry Sweeney also scored a screamer against Forest.

Anyone else recall this or has time taken it's toll on me?

Jimmy Mann's goal was a league game.

We also drew 1-1 in the league cup with them around the same time, when we were both in the top flight, an evening game.

Gerry Sweeney was getting a shed load of stick from the people around me, I was in the enclosure for this one. I think we may of been 1 down and looking out of the game when Sweeney struck an absolute screamer past Shilton at the Park end. Everyone went mental, including the Sweeney haters from a few minutes before.

It was a cracking goal, I'm surprised it doesn't get bought up as much as Mann's.

I certainly was there Kev., unbelievable strike from 'SuperMann'. I can't remember a player ever being hit by a dart in the history of English football.

I also witnessed the Mellor dart throwing incident from level with the edge of the area in the Enclosure. It was an end of season match a week or two before Fulham were playing West Ham in the Cup Final, and Bobby Moore was playing for them.

After the incident a group of police piled into the middle of the EE and were resisted, leading to a brawl and 9 arrests. A really hot day as I recall.

The other notable incident was at QPR, must have been '78ish when a knife was thrown in to the QPR penalty area from the City fans ( well, it was actually home and away fans in there with no segregation) in the open end. Phil Parkes was their keeper who pointed it out to the ref. I was working in London at the time and a close up picture of the knife embedded in the turf was the lead story of the main London news on the Monday evening.

I'm pretty sure it was the same weekend when a Man.Utd fan was pictured luridly on the front page of the Sunday papers with a dart fully through the bridge of his nose, a victim of a Liverpool fan in the 'Annie Road' end.

Fair dos Nog, I know Shilts went down needing treatment, and Im sure said dart was "discovered" at that time. Maybe didnt hit him, we thought the injury was because of the dart !! I recall a meat pie thrown at a Policeman at Swindom away which took his helmet off, then followed the riot....Funniest thing was these Coppers trying to hold back an Alsation that dragged them onto the pitch after said pie !!! Ahh the memories.....

For the record I was sitting in the dolman level with Jimmy when he hit it...I can still see in my mind the top corner shaking with PS still flying through the air!!

Dont remember Gerry getting one against them at anytime and the score on the day of the Mann goal was 1-1.

However ask Gerry about that goal at Charlton (in 76)....he'll know exactly what you mean....

The handball incident, yes, he admitted it to me the next day at a ressie game !

Anyone got any links or know if jimmy manns screamer against forest and shilton was captured. Stil wake up even now seing that ball hitting me if it were not for the net.

Thanks for that memory. I don't need film coverage, can remember it like yesterday. Jimmy just turned and hit it without thinking just inside the centre circle, flew in from 40 yards. The game was on HTV, be nice if still around, has to be up there among the best ever goals at Ashton Gate.

As for the Shilts dart thing, don't know about that, but we must have had Jocky Wilson in the East End last game of 1972/73. Peter Mellor had 3 stuck in the back of his neck. Always thought, as a kid at the time, that was really wierd, not as thought there was anything on the game.

Archived