IGNORED

Manns Screamer

tiz

Thanks for that memory. I don't need film coverage, can remember it like yesterday. Jimmy just turned and hit it without thinking just inside the centre circle, flew in from 40 yards. The game was on HTV, be nice if still around, has to be up there among the best ever goals at Ashton Gate.

As for the Shilts dart thing, don't know about that, but we must have had Jocky Wilson in the East End last game of 1972/73. Peter Mellor had 3 stuck in the back of his neck. Always thought, as a kid at the time, that was really wierd, not as thought there was anything on the game.

Just a slight exaggeration there.

It was last game of 74/75. Single dart thrown, which missed completely.

But I seem to remember him lying on the ground until the ref came over, as if he had been hit.

Or am I imagining that?

I think he simply sat down to get the ref's attention in order to stop the game after seeing it on the pitch.

If he'd really had a dart sticking in his neck ( let alone 3!!) I imagine he would have to had to come off, and the game would have been abandoned.

Jimmy Mann's goal was a league game.

We also drew 1-1 in the league cup with them around the same time, when we were both in the top flight, an evening game.

Gerry Sweeney was getting a shed load of stick from the people around me, I was in the enclosure for this one. I think we may of been 1 down and looking out of the game when Sweeney struck an absolute screamer past Shilton at the Park end. Everyone went mental, including the Sweeney haters from a few minutes before.

It was a cracking goal, I'm surprised it doesn't get bought up as much as Mann's.

I was in the enclosure too, near the corner of the East End. There was always this one loudmouth wag with a cockney accent who took pleasure in lamenting Sweeney's lofted upfield punts.

"Oi Gerry, try the long hopeful ball, you know the one!"...... (HOOF)...... " THAT'S the one! "

Which was funny.

The handball incident, yes, he admitted it to me the next day at a ressie game !

Yes Slarti a hell of a night if you were behind the goal with us that night!

It looked like HB to me, however I asked Gerry S at Gerry G's dinner 16 months ago and he said he didn't and I believe him!

Funny though because he did say the ball got stuck under his feet which it did and he had to hit with little backlift which is exactly how I remember it....Still what a strike Top Corner and I can remeber the bloke next to me sticking his tongue down his bird's throat when it hit the net....not You was it!?

The bloke I mean :rolleyes:

Yes, The guy was on the Street/Wells coach and dart packet was left on the terracing with the shop in Wells' name on it.

i remember that day, Didn't they catch the lad who threw them because his Dad recognised they were "his" darts when Points West showed them on tv?
Or was that just a rumour at the time?

Yes Slarti a hell of a night if you were behind the goal with us that night!

It looked like HB to me, however I asked Gerry S at Gerry G's dinner 16 months ago and he said he didn't and I believe him!

Funny though because he did say the ball got stuck under his feet which it did and he had to hit with little backlift which is exactly how I remember it....Still what a strike Top Corner and I can remeber the bloke next to me sticking his tongue down his bird's throat when it hit the net....not You was it!?

The bloke I mean :rolleyes:

I was on the huge terrace to your right that night.

Went up on my own from school in the afternoon, with vague instructions to meet my elder brother ( who lived in London) 'on the half way line'.

It turned out it was the biggest terrace I'd ever seen, with no chance of finding him, and there I was stuck amongst the Charlton fans, with my school hav a sac,on ( with a change of clothes crammed inside), with ' Bristol City F.C.', and 'Paul Cheesley walks on Cider' emblazoned in red all over it :ermm:

2-2 draw as I remember it, with Gerry Gow getting the other one. Looked quite lively and eventful in the City end, and seem to remember a fracas on the terrace opposite me, presumably City fans moving round and trying to get at the Charlton end.

Found my brother later, but only after the terrace cleared at the end, otherwise I'd have been completely stymied - no idea at that time how to get to where where he lived, and no mobile phones to sort things out in those days.

The things we put ourselves through for BCFC.

I was on the huge terrace to your right that night.

Went up on my own from school in the afternoon, with vague instructions to meet my elder brother ( who lived in London) 'on the half way line'.

It turned out it was the biggest terrace I'd ever seen, with no chance of finding him, and there I was stuck amongst the Charlton fans, with my school hav a sac,on ( with a change of clothes crammed inside), with ' Bristol City F.C.', and 'Paul Cheesley walks on Cider' emblazoned in red all over it :ermm:

2-2 draw as I remember it, with Gerry Gow getting the other one. Looked quite lively and eventful in the City end, and seem to remember a fracas on the terrace opposite me, presumably City fans moving round and trying to get at the Charlton end.

Found my brother later, but only after the terrace cleared at the end, otherwise I'd have been completely stymied - no idea at that time how to get to where where he lived, and no mobile phones to sort things out in those days.

The things we put ourselves through for BCFC.

We've discussed before how many of the same games we have been at and yet I still (and I suspect you) have no idea who you are.

Anyway my story of the night was similar in a lot of ways. Dad and I got lost in South East London somewhere near Grenwich, but luckily found a bloke who lived near the valley who got us there 10 minutes late.

Got in the ground at the wrong end and were advised urgently by the home support to go up the other end!

Anyway that is when I got why they called it the Valley....That bank was enormous!

So I guess we walked right by you to get to our supporters.

Yes our first goal was scored by Gerry Gow and I spoke with him about it when we met at his dinner....My most vivid memory of GG was after he scored he ended up hanging on the netting with his arms and legs spread laughing...He didnt remember but Gerry S did!

As I remember it, Both Charlton goals came from crosses that sailed over Ray Cashley's head...Enter Sweeney Sweeney with that goal!!

Jimmy Mann also scored a stunner against Bolton at Burnden Park in the old First Division.

Not sure, but could've been first game of season - late 70's and was one of the featured highlights matches on Match of the Day.

If memory serves me right, he controlled pass with his back to goal, flicked it over his head as the Bolton defence ran out, span round and was left alone to fire in unmarked from just inside/outside penalty area.

We've discussed before how many of the same games we have been at and yet I still (and I suspect you) have no idea who you are.

Anyway my story of the night was similar in a lot of ways. Dad and I got lost in South East London somewhere near Grenwich, but luckily found a bloke who lived near the valley who got us there 10 minutes late.

Got in the ground at the wrong end and were advised urgently by the home support to go up the other end!

Anyway that is when I got why they called it the Valley....That bank was enormous!

So I guess we walked right by you to get to our supporters.

Yes our first goal was scored by Gerry Gow and I spoke with him about it when we met at his dinner....My most vivid memory of GG was after he scored he ended up hanging on the netting with his arms and legs spread laughing...He didnt remember but Gerry S did!

As I remember it, Both Charlton goals came from crosses that sailed over Ray Cashley's head...Enter Sweeney Sweeney with that goal!!

Amazing the little details that stick in the brain. Was also on the huge bank of terrace, drove up with a mate and met my brother in law who was an Arsenal fan and also came to the match, then stayed overnight at my sister's in Gravesend after enjoying ^_^ the delights of a Friday night in Dartord. Remember seeing the back page of the (South?) London edition of the Daily Miror on the Saturday morning, the headline "SWEENEY THE VILLAIN" which had a right go at the ref for allowing the goal after a blatant handball. For younger listeners cop show "The Sweeney" was all the rage on telly at the time..............

Also remember the barman in the RailwayTavern at Dartford, who was a big Charlton fan loads of memorabila in the pub, seeming to know more about what happened at the game than those who had been (especially the handball!), all good banter though! :drunk2:

I well remember the Mann screamer, surprised that no footage of it has emerged as there are loads of televised highlights of games from the 76/77 season on the net and this was a season or two later. I also remember Jimmy having one of the best first touches of any City player ever, he was really comfortable on the ball. Not a "Gow" type midfielder though (although I remember he broke Patsy Holland's (West Ham) leg with a dubious challenge). Tended to drift in and out of games , not box-to-box. Hell of a shot on him though.

Amazing the little details that stick in the brain. Was also on the huge bank of terrace, drove up with a mate and met my brother in law who was an Arsenal fan and also came to the match, then stayed overnight at my sister's in Gravesend after enjoying ^_^ the delights of a Friday night in Dartord. Remember seeing the back page of the (South?) London edition of the Daily Miror on the Saturday morning, the headline "SWEENEY THE VILLAIN" which had a right go at the ref for allowing the goal after a blatant handball. For younger listeners cop show "The Sweeney" was all the rage on telly at the time..............

Also remember the barman in the RailwayTavern at Dartford, who was a big Charlton fan loads of memorabila in the pub, seeming to know more about what happened at the game than those who had been (especially the handball!), all good banter though!

It bloody is amazing...and I was not quite old enough to speak with Barman!!

I have mentioned this game several times over the years and have now found you, Slarti and Nogbad that were actually there....Anyone any idea who the snoggers were?

Also remember the barman in the RailwayTavern at Dartford, who was a big Charlton fan loads of memorabila in the pub, seeming to know more about what happened at the game than those who had been (especially the handball!), all good banter though! :drunk2:

I know the pub. I was staying overnight at a B&B for a work visit to Littlebrook power station. I got talking to a Dartford supporter who was at the Gate when we beat them 8-2 in the Cup. Great days!

It bloody is amazing...and I was not quite old enough to speak with Barman!!

I have mentioned this game several times over the years and have now found you, Slarti and Nogbad that were actually there....Anyone any idea who the snoggers were?

Can't help you with the snoggers! Another vivid memory is that, having met up with the bro-in-law who worked in Dartord, left the car at the aforementioned Railway Tavern and caught the train back into Charlton and had a fantastic view of the huge terrace as the train drew into what was presumably Charlton station - had never seen anything quite like it. I seem to remember the capacity was huge, maybe 50,000 and with around 14,000 in that night, no problems with choosing your own vantage point - no "tall bloke turning up in front of you 2 minutes before kick off" syndrome! Good times!! :rolleyes:

Can't help you with the snoggers! Another vivid memory is that, having met up with the bro-in-law who worked in Dartord, left the car at the aforementioned Railway Tavern and caught the train back into Charlton and had a fantastic view of the huge terrace as the train drew into what was presumably Charlton station - had never seen anything quite like it. I seem to remember the capacity was huge, maybe 50,000 and with around 14,000 in that night, no problems with choosing your own vantage point - no "tall bloke turning up in front of you 2 minutes before kick off" syndrome! Good times!! :rolleyes:

Charlton Atheletic at one time had the largest capacity in the country and unless you went there with those huge teraces you would never know why! As you and Aizoon said Good Times/Great Days...Remeber in 38 years the kids on here will be talking about how we had to go to Wolves and get something!!

Cmon City!

Charlton Atheletic at one time had the largest capacity in the country and unless you went there with those huge teraces you would never know why! As you and Aizoon said Good Times/Great Days...Remeber in 38 years the kids on here will be talking about how we had to go to Wolves and get something!!

Cmon City!

Yes I think their record attendance is 75,000, very few of which were in seats.

I visited the stadium when it was in decay and could only imagine what it would be like with that terrace full, most of it was grass and weeds when I first went.

I was at the Valley that night. I drove up in my MKll Cortina 1600, battled through the London traffic and managed to find a very tight parking space very close to the ground into which I managed to reverse, first times and perfectly to the amazement of all, especially me.

We stood on that amazing, vast bank which was the enclosure terracing and kept quiet so as not to draw attention to ourselves. Until Sweeney scored that (late?) equaliser ...

We went mad, I slipped down the terracing and ricked my ankle, despite which I still managed to drive home. I refute any suggestion that I snogged any of my mates though.

It was by far the biggest terrace that I've ever stood upon and the players seemed to be miles away (because they probably were). There were only 12,683 in the ground (sad git, I've just looked it up, I didn't count them all on the night!) and I remember thinking why have they got such a vast ground for such small attendances?

Regarding the Jimmy Mann goal against Forest, I was stood in the old enclosure (in front of what was then, the Grandstand, now the Williams. It remains the hardest shot I have ever seen and absolutely flew past Shilton who never stood a chance of stopping it. I guess I'd like to see it on TV if possible just to re-live it although it would then replace my memory of it which wouldn't be a good thing for me.

Whilst us old farts are reliving past glories, how about the first goal of the 1979/80 season scored into the Covered End (aka East End) by one Perti Jantunen versus Leeds. I recall that it featured nightly thereafter on the introduction to the nightly local news on BBC. Or the 1978 goal against Birmingham by Gerd Meijer - a dazzling run by the Dutchman down the wing on his debut (was it even his first touch in English football?)

Archived