IGNORED

Best Goalkeeper In The Championship

RedDownUnder

Just wondering, who do people think is the best goalkeeper in the Championship?

Heaton's got to be up there. That double save from Thomas Ince vs Blackpool was incredible.

I like Heaton but he is nowhere near the best keeper in the league.

The best is probably Jack Butland or Julian Speroni, closely followed by Kasper Schmeichel.

Chris Kirkland, David Marshall, Paul Robinson, Michael Gilks, Paddy Kenny, Jason Steele (although he was poor against us) Thomas Kuszczak, Stephen Henderson, David Stockdale are among the others that are better than Heaton for me.

Like I said, I rate Heaton but he isn't close to being the best in the league.

I like Heaton but he is nowhere near the best keeper in the league.

The best is probably Jack Butland or Julian Speroni, closely followed by Kasper Schmeichel.

Chris Kirkland, David Marshall, Paul Robinson, Michael Gilks, Paddy Kenny, Jason Steele (although he was poor against us) Thomas Kuszczak, Stephen Henderson, David Stockdale are among the others that are better than Heaton for me.

Like I said, I rate Heaton but he isn't close to being the best in the league.

The Green Un gave Jason Steele a 7/10 rating. On the FL show it looks like he should have saved Davies' goal but he might have been unsighted by the defender.

The Green Un gave Jason Steele a 7/10 rating. On the FL show it looks like he should have saved Davies' goal but he might have been unsighted by the defender.

Really? Apart from probably being at fault for Davies goal his kicking was absolutely woeful. Very good keeper but thankfully was poor against us.

We don't watch any of these keepers every game for 90 minutes. Therefore people are basing their opinions on reputation

None of us watch Messi or Ronaldo every game for 90 minutes.

Does that mean we are basing them on reputation and that they aren't the best two in the world because of it? Good reputations come about from doing good things?

Does that mean we are basing them on reputation and that they aren't the best two in the world because of it? Good reputations come about from doing good things?

Indeed, but the 2 players here are at the top of their profession. We see them in la liga, the champo league. They consistently perform at the highest level. How often do we really see some of these championship cats?

Indeed, but the 2 players here are at the top of their profession. We see them in la liga, the champo league. They consistently perform at the highest level. How often do we really see some of these championship cats?

So how do players EARN a reputation, especially goalies?

Slightly different as we are constantly shown highlights of these two players. We also see them on the international stage and destroying teams as a regular occurrence in the champions league.

I've probably seen more of these two players than I have any player in the Championship outside of our squad.

However reputations can come about from one good season and people remembering the name. One my of mates who came with me to a couple games in our play off final season constantly asks me how we have been able to hang on to Marv for so long, despite the majority on here (myself included) thinking he has never got anywhere near those heights since (before anyone has a go- i like Marv).

Just a quick point about the goalkeepers (and I expect repercussions for this). I HATE it when people say that they are "good shot stoppers". All professional goalkeepers should be good shot stoppers- that is their primary job! The rest is what separates the greats from the also rans.

In every other position you can make a case for them being good at something else i.e a striker who doesn't score a lot but brings the other players into the game or a midfielder who isn't the greatest passer of the ball but breaks up the opposition play. But if a goalkeeper can't stop shots then they shouldn't be a goalkeeper!!

In terms of Heaton, I rate him. But I have seen too many mistakes from him this season to consider him one of the best.

Archived