IGNORED

Brighton Homophobic Report

What made me laugh in the BBC report, it showed the Forest fans singing " does your boyfriend know you're here" Firstly a big percentage of the Brighton fans were female, Second, they've all heard it a million times before And finally, if any were gay, why wouldn't their boyfriends know they're at football? No big deal. Load of nonsense.

Whilst homophobic behaviour is completely wrong, just as racism and other forms of discrimination are, this is just odd. In the report they point out that it is 'banter' - and that's all it is. They answer their own case in their own report.

I understand where they're coming from when they say "It wouldn't be described as 'banter' if the taunts and chants were about skin colour and something would have been done by now to stop it." But lets face it, who calls racism banter? Not me, and I don't think many people in this day and age view racism as banter. A small minority give the majority a bad name.

It's not something that is being sung directly at a particular fan or group, more so taking a subtle (or not so subtle) dig at the stereotype of the Brighton community - wrongly or rightly, I guess that's for the FA etc. to decide.

It would be like us compiling a report with the Farmers Union about 'insulting' songs sung about us being farmers; Cardiff fans filing a report for insulting songs being sung about them being sheep sh...you know what. You could go on and on.

Again, whilst racism, homophobia and for that matter, any type of discrimination is completely wrong - a line has to be drawn on - soon we'll be forced to sit wearing seat belts, not stand up when celebrating, only clap to a noise level of 50 decibels after 8pm as to not wake the neighbours and not eat our pies until they're stone cold due to fears of being burnt.

Edit: cautious as to what I say as I don't want people thinking I'm advocating homophobic abuse - because I'm not whatsoever.

It would be like us compiling a report with the Farmers Union about 'insulting' songs sung about us being farmers; Cardiff fans filing a report for insulting songs being sung about them being sheep sh...you know what. You could go on and on.

Don't you mean that welsh sheep would would file a report for insulting songs being sung about Cardiff fans being sheep sh****s!

Whilst homophobic behaviour is completely wrong, just as racism and other forms of discrimination are, this is just odd. In the report they point out that it is 'banter' - and that's all it is. They answer their own case in their own report.

I understand where they're coming from when they say "It wouldn't be described as 'banter' if the taunts and chants were about skin colour and something would have been done by now to stop it." But lets face it, who calls racism banter? Not me, and I don't think many people in this day and age view racism as banter. A small minority give the majority a bad name.

It's not something that is being sung directly at a particular fan or group, more so taking a subtle (or not so subtle) dig at the stereotype of the Brighton community - wrongly or rightly, I guess that's for the FA etc. to decide.

Again, whilst racism, homophobia and for that matter, any type of discrimination is completely wrong - a line has to be drawn on - soon we'll be forced to sit wearing seat belts, not stand up when celebrating, only clap to a noise level of 50 decibels after 8pm as to not wake the neighbours and not eat our pies until they're stone cold due to fears of being burnt.

Edit: cautious as to what I say as I don't want people thinking I'm advocating homophobic abuse - because I'm not whatsoever.

The thing is, the law states that anyone can get offended on anyone elses behalf and when matches are broadcast on TV, then you have millions of people potentially making a complaint. I don't necessarily think that's right but that's how it is. At the end of the day, I'd someone is offended by something then it's by definition 'offensive', though this kind of 'insult-by-place' isn't really any worse than calling Cardiff fans 'sheep shaggers' or implying that Liverpool fans are all criminals in my opinion. Whether they like it or not, Brighton as a town is defined by the presence of it's gay community

HOWEVER, the whole concept of 'banter' has gone a long way from when me and my mates you used to engage in it. It always used to be a bunch of lads trading quips and witty insults, now it seems to have become the realm of unimaginative name-calling and crudeness. I recently saw something on facebook where a number of kids (that's all they were) were calling rape 'physical banter' and having a laugh about it. I'm not directly comparing chanting at Brighton to making light of rape, but in modern parlance, 'banter' isn't necessarily the harmless, jovial exchange it once was

Well, 'we' are not one of the worst but did have chants that were "too offensive to print."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10329097.Albion_fans_name_and_shame_homophobic_rivals/

Anyway, homophobic chanting is so gay.

it was the we drink cider you drink ........ one and it was OTT imo, but no worse then some of the others we've had down the line,

but in todays world of PC you can't really get away with it much any more

it was the we drink cider you drink ........ one and it was OTT imo, but no worse then some of the others we've had down the line,

but in todays world of PC you can't really get away with it much any more

How is that too offensive to print?

I want anyone caught singing "your just a small town in wales" to be arrested for xenaphobia reasons.

Because we have no place in football anymore, after our relegation, we are being head hunted and used rather than a high profile club, WHY single us out on national news and no one else? ***** me off, this whole gay thing is pathetic and people need to grow up! i have nothing against gay people, but this is just another way to be controlling, football has become bad enough now lets just end all of this ******* madness!

Rant over.

I bet the good old beeb didnt report this, less they lose their superbowl contract...

The prospect of openly gay players in professional sports has become a matter of heated debate in recent weeks, after San Francisco 49ers player Chris Culliver told Artie Lange that he would not welcome gay players in the NFL or on his team. "I don't do the gay guys, man," Culliver is quoted as saying. "I don't do that. No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do."

Archived