IGNORED

Still Believing

ollywhyte

SoD is obviously an intelligent man, very methodical and calm in his managerial approach. Negativity often surrounds his away team selections, but he's not stupid, and despite his visibly relaxed and often perceived boring personality, deep down, there will be a realisation of the seriousness of the task at hand.

Im convinced that there will be a response at Burnley. One last push, the emergance of a hero. Sam Baldock perhaps. Why is is completely un reasonable that in a division as unpredictable as ours, we can't remain unbeaten from now on.

I wouldn't even class myself as an optimistic person, but I genuinely believe we can still stay up. A win at Burnley, with results going our way (surely our luck will change in that regard!) could see us just 4 points from safety, with 5 to play.

And if this becomes reality, we are then left, in my mind, with a mini race to better those teams 4 points ahead by at least 2 points in a 4 game period, which includes 3 home games. If we can achieve this, we will sit a maximum of 2 points from safety, with one game to go. A large away following at Charlton, who will hopefully have nothing to play for (unless they are in the mix for relegation), and you never know what could happen.

Never know when our luck could change, im convinced Barnsley and Peterborough will resume normal service asap, they could have peaked a few wweeks too soon, and with the varied amount of teams in relegation contention, im sure at least one will have a major slump, someone unexpected.

Im still positive and I'll support us regardless of our division next season. But seriously, we can still do this. That point today, could uneunexpectedly be heroic.

Anyway, always believe.

SoD is obviously an intelligent man, very methodical and calm in his managerial approach. Negativity often surrounds his away team selections, but he's not stupid, and despite his visibly relaxed and often perceived boring personality, deep down, there will be a realisation of the seriousness of the task at hand.

Im convinced that there will be a response at Burnley. One last push, the emergance of a hero. Sam Baldock perhaps. Why is is completely un reasonable that in a division as unpredictable as ours, we can't remain unbeaten from now on.

I wouldn't even class myself as an optimistic person, but I genuinely believe we can still stay up. A win at Burnley, with results going our way (surely our luck will change in that regard!) could see us just 4 points from safety, with 5 to play.

And if this becomes reality, we are then left, in my mind, with a mini race to better those teams 4 points ahead by at least 2 points in a 4 game period, which includes 3 home games. If we can achieve this, we will sit a maximum of 2 points from safety, with one game to go. A large away following at Charlton, who will hopefully have nothing to play for (unless they are in the mix for relegation), and you never know what could happen.

Never know when our luck could change, im convinced Barnsley and Peterborough will resume normal service asap, they could have peaked a few wweeks too soon, and with the varied amount of teams in relegation contention, im sure at least one will have a major slump, someone unexpected.

Im still positive and I'll support us regardless of our division next season. But seriously, we can still do this. That point today, could uneunexpectedly be heroic.

Anyway, always believe.

You'll get absolutely hammered by the griefmongers on here, but I admire your optimism.

Do I think we can do it? No chance. But, fair play for posting this.

If we go down I certainly hope it is fighting.

Its very easy in these situations for the last few games just to drift away. In the tme honoured words, just take each game as it comes, try and win the next one, and see how it goes.

Anyway, always believe.

Good on you fella, you keep believing. Very unlikely now but the lads need all the support they can get!

Anyway, always believe.

If I ever end up on death row, will you come an visit me please?

the burnley game is too late and we all know that

the time for this team to make a stand was wolves away, which was a must win game no matter what any spin doctor tries to tell you

they used all their subs by half time, we failed to capitalise and it has ruined our season and lead us to almost certain relegation

we could stuff burnley 10-0 and still go down bottom

the burnley game is too late and we all know that

the time for this team to make a stand was wolves away, which was a must win game no matter what any spin doctor tries to tell you

they used all their subs by half time, we failed to capitalise and it has ruined our season and lead us to almost certain relegation

we could stuff burnley 10-0 and still go down bottom

true - but at least it would improve our GD, which right now is looking like an extra point for most of the teams around us.

On the odds, it's now far more likely that we will go down than stay up, IMO - but that won't stop me believing it is possible. If Davies' leg was an inch longer, or the cunningham pen had been given we would have been far more positive today. Yes, there is a 7 point gap - but it is four teams with that 7 point advantage and it is not impossible that we could overhaul two of them. Yes we look doomed to most impartial observers. But more unlikely outcomes HAVE happened before. If we manage it, I don't want to be like one of those supporters driving home from Mansfield having left after 85 minutes...

Huddersfield lose, now we need to hope at least one or two other teams 7 points ahead lose their game in hand. Then a win at burnley with results our way for once and we could be 4 points from safety with 5 to go, including 3 at home!!!

I will always believe

Anyway, always believe.

I accepted that we were relegated about a month ago...

... I now have a tranquil sense of peace, and am actually looking forward to League 1...

... seriously...

... let it go.

Six matches left, if we win five of them, or win four and draw two, we'll probably stay up. It's not impossible, but it isn't likely. If Steve Davies rediscovered his goalscoring touch, then maybe I'd feel we had a chance, but on Saturday it didn't look as though he'd score against a five-a-side team. I'm with SO'D - no point looking at the table, we need 54 points, end of story.

Anyway, always believe.

Well done mate. It's still possible but it's not been in our hands for a long time. The so-called form book goes out the window when clubs fighting like ***k for survival play teams with nothing at stake and beat them on a regular basis. This is what has scuppered us. Our rivals have done this on a regular basis.

We've not done it Away.

But we are talking about CITY so nothing can be ruled out for a little longer.

My consolation is that we will have SOD next season. Look at what he has done with a bunch of players who we have acknowledged are not really good enough for this League.

If he can persuade Baldock to stay and find some footballers to play in midfield, plus keep our full backs, we will do very well next year

There are still quite a few games between the teams around us. They can't all win all their games.

It's going to take promotion form from City, which is quite unlikely, but if we get a win on Saturday we'll *just* need to win the remaining home games and that should do it.

Lose on Saturday and I don't fancy our chances in the other away games at Hull and Charlton so that might well be it.

Huddersfield lose, now we need to hope at least one or two other teams 7 points ahead lose their game in hand. Then a win at burnley with results our way for once and we could be 4 points from safety with 5 to go, including 3 at home!!!

I will always believe

we won't win away, all the other teams around us will pick us points, why would it all change??

It's probably 10-1 against us staying up but that still means ther's a chance. If you back a horse at 10-1 in a race you don't go into it thinking it's got no chance, you might not expect to win but you do occasionally. End of season results can be very strange, I've seen teams near the bottom win their last 3 or 4 games and escape before.

Not even sure if 54 pts will be enough for you. I have never known a league like yours this season but with so many teams on 47 points most with 7 games to go I would have thought that 2 wins and a draw would be within the reach of most of them. Most seasons 45 or 46 points are enough to stay up. League 2 could also see a team going down with a respectable total of points.

At the moment in your league it looks like EVERY team has something to play for so you won't have the luxury of playing teams who have nothing to play for - at least in the next few games.

Is this just a totally odd season or is around the mid 50 points going to need to be a target from now on to make certain of avoiding rlegation.

As Jimmy Greaves once said "Its a strange old game"!

Not even sure if 54 pts will be enough for you. I have never known a league like yours this season but with so many teams on 47 points most with 7 games to go I would have thought that 2 wins and a draw would be within the reach of most of them. Most seasons 45 or 46 points are enough to stay up. League 2 could also see a team going down with a respectable total of points.

At the moment in your league it looks like EVERY team has something to play for so you won't have the luxury of playing teams who have nothing to play for - at least in the next few games.

Is this just a totally odd season or is around the mid 50 points going to need to be a target from now on to make certain of avoiding rlegation.

As Jimmy Greaves once said "Its a strange old game"!

Don't think this will happen again next season looking at clubs likely to come up from league One.

This season always looked difficult because all the clubs coming up (Huddersfield, Charlton, Wednesday) were big clubs quite at home at Championship level. Next season you could have the likes of Tranmere, Yeovil etc who would really struggle, even Doncaster who are winning that league easily struggle in the Championship. I think all the teams going down to League One this season will be fighting near the top next year.

Yes that's a good point although teams like Swindon, Sheffield United and Bournemouth could claim to be able to sustain Championship football. I'm not sure also what effect the salary caps will have on the teams coming down from the Championship this season. we have certainly seen that mentioned a lot to us this season when we had six high payers on the treatment table and are trying to bring in new players.

If the current form (last 6 games) of the teams around us continues, then the bottom 3 (excluding us, which on current form says we finish bottom on 46 points), looks like this:

Sheff Wed 55 pts

Huddersfield 53

Blackburn 49

So 56 points looks like the survival target - 5 wins and a draw. Considering our recent abysmal away form, and we have to go to Burnley and Hull, this does not look achievable. I think the last 3 results against Wolves, Derby & Sheff Wed have increased the gap to one we cannot bridge. League One next season.

There are still quite a few games between the teams around us. They can't all win all their games.

It's going to take promotion form from City, which is quite unlikely, but if we get a win on Saturday we'll *just* need to win the remaining home games and that should do it.

Lose on Saturday and I don't fancy our chances in the other away games at Hull and Charlton so that might well be it.

True. But that also means they can't lose them all either, so some of them are bound to pick up points.

So a 7 pt deficit now will probably and realistically worst case be at least 10 to make up from 'guaranteed points'.

Upcoming games where teams around you (up to Blackpool) are guaranteed to both pick up and drop points include Posh v Huddersfield & Sheff Wed v Blackburn this weekend, other games between now and the end of the season include Posh v Sheff Wed, Wolves v Hudders, Blackburn v Hudders, Hudders v Barnsley, Sheff Wed v Blackpool & Sheff Wed v Ipswich.

Then assume each team above win at least one game each on top of that (not unrealistic at this time of year with everyone scrapping for points).

That means City can drop a max of 5 pts realistically between now and the end of the season just to stand a chance in my opinion.

So win 4, draw 1, lose 1 in the last 6. Just to have a chance - not to guarantee safety. Looks a LONG shot to be honest and will require promotion form - but it CAN be done,

Lose to Burnley on Saturday of course and it will surely be over??

I think four wins out of six and we will stay up. Of course that is a huge ask but it is not impossible. Burnley Saturday is massive, if we were to win we would then go into back to back home matches with a chance of closing the gap. Some of the teams at the bottom are due a collapse, it can't be only Blackburn who lose every week.

Archived