IGNORED

Pre Season Tour To...

Thought you might be Nick!

Same here...flying to Jo-burg looks the obvious option.

Yes, a couple of serious points though.

Jon Lansdown: "In the past few years we have put a real emphasis on strengthening our work in the community and the Community Trust has been key to that. There is still a lot more to do, but this will be our first foray into another country and it’s an important step for the Community Trust as well as our longer-term ambitions.”

I fail to see how a trip to Botswana promotes the work in the BS3 community and environs. Furthermore, there's quite a few that look forward to the summer trips, many might be priced out of this one. I fear this will be seen as another example of the club being out of touch with the fanbase.

The other point is, just how beneficial will it be to the overriding objective - putting a decent football team together. There's going to be a huge clearout in the summer, probably half of the current squad will be gone or going, and I doubt SOD will have too many replacements in by then.

Overall, nice holiday for those that can afford it, might end up with a Botswana branch of the Bristol City supporters club.

Its a fair bet that no one on this forum lives closer to AG than I do Nick!

Take your points, though early in July it'll all be about fitness and team building not results.

Also, travel broadens the mind and seeing the comparative poverty in Africa MAY have a positive impact on the players.

I know my visits to the third world have had an influence on me.

Nick - I share many of your doubts about the impact this tour will have on JL's objectives.

But - slightly frivolously - I do believe that a Botswana connection could yield results. I - by a complete chance - attended the Zimbabwean cup final in 1990...sat in front of Robert Mugabe and was in the TV shots when he presented the cup. It was surreal and unexpected occasion, the result of blagging to a ridiculous degree.

What was interesting was that Coventry City were well represented. Their officials were there in club blazers and spotted what anyone in the crowd could see - namely that Peter Ndlovu of the losers - Bulawayo Highlanders - was a real talent...and they signed him. All power to the club of they are looking to improve their scouting network. And if they truly want to put some of the largesse of British football into football as a force for good in the developing world.

Seriously struggling with how this helps the community but nevertheless tempted

Agree with you here Nick (this is happening too much now, ha ha"!!)

Must say though, if the price is right, I'd be interested too.

The Mochudi Centre Chiefs are current league leaders, but on reviewing their league table via http://www.enole.co.bw/ I have come to the conclusion their team names are drawn at random or made up each season by a recovering crack addict.

Whilst we're lucky to be spared a game against Prisons XI (you could field a decent English Football League team with that criteria) we must surely try to get a game against "Miscellaneous" just to confuse the record books. Come on Steve L, make it happen.

1 Mochudi Centre Chiefs 80
2 Nico United 76
3 Gaborone United 69
4 Ecco City Green 67
5 Extension Gunners 61
6 BDF XI 62
7 BMC 57
8 Motlakase 50
9 Township Rollers 45
10 TAFIC 41
11 Miscellaneous 42
12 UF Santos 36