IGNORED

Pros And Cons Of League 1

As we are all but mathematically relegated, What are the pros and cons of league 1?

Pros

No International Break

Grounds with Terracing and an Atmosphere

Ummm that's all I've got :(

Cons

Lower gates

Lower standard of football

We've got to take the stick of the blue few

Mickey Mouse Cup

It's this bloody league again!

Anyone wish to add (preferably in the pros list to make me feel a bit better)

I've got to be honest here, I have reached the point where I believe the best thing that can happen to our club is to be relegated.

Now before I get lynched, let me explain why:

1. FFP comes into action next season - There is no way we will turn a £12m loss into a profit if we stay in the Championship. If we did somehow manage this feat then it would involve us being relegation fodder next season, due to us signing players of league 2 standard to fit the wage bill.

2. I'm fed up of fighting at the wrong end of the table - Lets face it, we all know that if we manage to stay up this season we will have the exact same thing happening next season

3. A complete SOD Team - We have said it for a few seasons now; We need to get rid of basically the whole team and start fresh. If we go to league 1 we can smile and let other clubs take some of the dead wood we have all been wanting to get rid of.

To conclude, I think we all have to see that we are still suffering because of the past. We threw out expensive contracts to players that simply weren't/aren't good enough. Until we are relegated we won't be able to start again and rebuild the club to make it the sort of club we all want it to be.

For me, I honestly think (as painful and depressing as it might be) we should be relegated so that we can have a proper reshuffle.

I've got to be honest here, I have reached the point where I believe the best thing that can happen to our club is to be relegated.

Now before I get lynched, let me explain why:

1. FFP comes into action next season - There is no way we will turn a £12m loss into a profit if we stay in the Championship. If we did somehow manage this feat then it would involve us being relegation fodder next season, due to us signing players of league 2 standard to fit the wage bill.

2. I'm fed up of fighting at the wrong end of the table - Lets face it, we all know that if we manage to stay up this season we will have the exact same thing happening next season

3. A complete SOD Team - We have said it for a few seasons now; We need to get rid of basically the whole team and start fresh. If we go to league 1 we can smile and let other clubs take some of the dead wood we have all been wanting to get rid of.

To conclude, I think we all have to see that we are still suffering because of the past. We threw out expensive contracts to players that simply weren't/aren't good enough. Until we are relegated we won't be able to start again and rebuild the club to make it the sort of club we all want it to be.

For me, I honestly think (as painful and depressing as it might be) we should be relegated so that we can have a proper reshuffle.

spot on mate,i could not agree more.

Pros:

- Young players more likely to be given a chance

- No more signing of 'have been' players (example Wilson)

- Better atmosphere

- A chance at being top of the table

- Chance to visit some grounds we haven't been to before / or lately.

Cons:

- We don't get to boast championship status

- Difficult to attract decent players

- Difficult to retain our better players (whoever they are)

- It's League 1.

Pro's:

Cheaper away tickets

Fresh challenge

More local derbies

Most of current squad binned

Big fish in small pond so players will choose us over divisional rivals

Cons:

We will take a hell of a lot of stick

Poor standard of football

Teams will come to AG to play for a point

Reduced revenue

Danger of falling further down football league ladder

FFP could either kill us or sort us out

In same league as likes of crawley stevenage yeovil, etc

More Pros:

Only Sheff.Utd, if they don't go up, will be a 'bigger' team than us!

The mickey mouse cup does offer a genuine chance of a good Wembley day-out

We would hope to be winning more games than we lose

Almost all our current side should be history

I fancy Coventry City and Preston North End are bigger clubs than us.

No pros . Atmosphere will be worse . Poorer standard of football. Lower crowds , lower turnover , more debt . Nothing good will come of this . If you belive there are pros then you are deluded.

What happens if god forbid we go down to L2 will there be a a thread about playing football in L2?

People need to start looking more long term... Yes being relegated is never good, but for the long term prospects, can anyone honestly say they think it would be better for us not to be relegated this season?

If we stay up we will be in the exact same position next season, probably banned from the transfer market for not meeting FFP requirements

People need to start looking more long term... Yes being relegated is never good, but for the long term prospects, can anyone honestly say they think it would be better for us not to be relegated this season?

If we stay up we will be in the exact same position next season, probably banned from the transfer market for not meeting FFP requirements

there are ways around the FFP

there are ways around the FFP

I'm sure there are, but that is only one of many problems we face. We have all being saying for seasons how we need to get rid of a large chunk of our squad, the only way that will happen is relegation or promotion and call me pesimistic if you will, but i don't see us fighting for promotion next season without shifting a large chunk of the current squad

So what are you saying that when we are in L1 we should stay there and not get promoted back to the Championship? I really don't understand where you are coming from on this . With respect you are talking nonsense.

Pros- gives the club a chance to reset. It's good timing with regards to ffp as we can get rid of high earners. A lot of championship clubs will be in trouble in the next two years.

We get to use our youth in which we have a good number come through.

We would hopefully be on top of the table and have some thing to cheer about.

Good atmosphere will return.

Club can build again with very good foundations in place.

Cons- it's league 1

May not be able to attract good players and may lose our good players

Hartlepool away

JPT

Did I mention, it's league 1, the league we spent numerous years trying to get out of

Archived