IGNORED

Well Done Gj

myol'man

Agree totally (well apart for the 2nd sentence) that will remain to be seen. But by the same token I get tired of people trying to airbrush the more than 4 seasons of over achievement and just recall the bunker moments.

Well when I say cracking, I mean he's good at what he does. He excels in league one but I think the championship is maybe a little too much for him. Yeah he could do a job in the championship, but he was never going to take us to the next level?

Again, thank him for what he's done but I wouldn't want him back.

These comments about us looking at buying Madden etc make me laugh. I've heard a lot of people talking about players we should look at buying. The Yeovil keeper, Paddy Madden to name a couple in amongst a group of players in sides at the top of League One.

Do people honestly think we're an attractive outfit for these sorts of players? If I was playing in a team battling for promotion in League One I'd stay far far away from us. We're an unknown entity in League One. For all we know we could go down and momentum could go with us and we could be struggling to stay in the league. I don't think we'll sign anyone of this nature in the close season.

These comments about us looking at buying Madden etc make me laugh. I've heard a lot of people talking about players we should look at buying. The Yeovil keeper, Paddy Madden to name a couple in amongst a group of players in sides at the top of League One.

Do people honestly think we're an attractive outfit for these sorts of players? If I was playing in a team battling for promotion in League One I'd stay far far away from us. We're an unknown entity in League One. For all we know we could go down and momentum could go with us and we could be struggling to stay in the league. I don't think we'll sign anyone of this nature in the close season.

I think there are a lot of naive people on here. Some even deluded.

Throwing around names like its merely a formality we will sign these players next year.

4th, 10th and 10th finishes in the Championship would suggest otherwise. Still don't understand why the majority of our fan base got rid of him, to this day it still annoys me. He deserved better.

I think the ideal scenario would've been for Mr Johnson to have been offered a managers job at a higher profile club, and left with the Club and supporters blessing.

As I said in a previous thread, I think the decline had already set in before his departure.

Let's hope he gets the ovation he deserves when he next brings his charges to Ashton Gate.

Well when I say cracking, I mean he's good at what he does. He excels in league one but I think the championship is maybe a little too much for him. Yeah he could do a job in the championship, but he was never going to take us to the next level?

Again, thank him for what he's done but I wouldn't want him back.

and nor would I, but credit where credit is due, he gave us more success and more to cheer about than all of the mangers back to Terry Cooper (and that's 11) and far more than the last 4 and counting and he got us closer to the next level than the previous 14 managers + 4.

and nor would I, but credit where credit is due, he gave us more success and more to cheer about than all of the mangers back to Terry Cooper (and that's 11) and far more than the last 4 and counting and he got us closer to the next level than the previous 14 managers + 4.

i agree but the difference gj had huge resources made available to him although spent some wisely spunked a awful lot on dross signings

Without doubt. It was one hell of a journey under him that's for sure.

Too much player power? Not really - even in football no-one should be expected to put up with being assaulted by the manager (or team mates, for that matter).

Really? I seem to recall that when Dennis Wise broke a team mate's jaw in training his punishment was overturned, the PFA being the only powerful trade union left. We are often told by ex- and current pros that fights in training happen all the time and are no big deal. So why one rule for players and another for managers? From my perspective the game, at least at the top 2 levels, is run almost entirely for the benefit of players. Indeed the bonanza that has been TV money has gone straIght to them and only now are clubs waking up to the fact that this may not have been a great move. They expect and get rich rewards regardless of performance or behaviour, while the concept of personal responsibility appears to be entirely alien to them - always somebody else's fault, whether the manager, referees, fans or just bad luck. Health stopped me going to matches but in any event I would never again consider putting money into the pockets of footballers.

I'm one of GJ's biggest fans, but even I can't deny that some of his signings were poor or were wasted. The likes of Lee Trundle, David Clarkson, John Akinde, Alvaro Saborio, and numerous other loan signings that were just cack. On the other hand, the likes Adriano Basso, Marvin Elliott, Michael McIndoe, David Noble and Phil Jevons all turned out to perform pretty damn well for us, all at incredibly cheap prices.

I'm one of GJ's biggest fans, but even I can't deny that some of his signings were poor or were wasted. The likes of Lee Trundle, David Clarkson, John Akinde, Alvaro Saborio, and numerous other loan signings that were just cack. On the other hand, the likes Adriano Basso, Marvin Elliott, Michael McIndoe, David Noble and Phil Jevons all turned out to perform pretty damn well for us, all at incredibly cheap prices.

And lee johnsohn, jamie mac from hearts

I was, and am, a great GJ fan. I wish him the very best. He's a great manager, not least because he knows his limitations.

I was lucky enough to spend some time chatting with him in the December before he left. He said then that he felt the first responsibility of any manager in the Championship..where every team could beat any other on their day...was to ensure that they avoided relegation.

At the time that sounded negative...with hindsight I can see where he came from. His successors have failed to secure our tenure in the Championship. Every season has been a struggle. A struggle which people on this Forum have predicted. The simple things have been left undone. The foundations have been left neglected.

I wasn't surprised when GJ left...his limitations had been exposed. But his successors haven't done the basics and we've all been let down by the appointments of Coppell, Millen and McIness. And, IMHO, by the Board which appointed them.

Would I want GJ back? Frankly, yes. I think we'd be lucky to get him. But in his absence I think SOD can probably do a similar job for us.

Dude, simply put multiple thrashings, setting up poorly, wasting money hand over fist, and an infamous match and Plymouth made things untenable.

I dont get the continued love. he has had his time. It's 3 years since. Move on already

Whilst I don't neccessarily condone it, you must be thick as two short planks not to understand the 'continued love' or 'respect' as it's also known. Tell me, what has happened in the 3 glorious years since he left?

After the play off final defeat at the Mill Stad things felt almost as depressing as they do now, and worsened under Tinnion, so we were at a low ebb when GJ took over. I also think that many fans thought much the same about the players as they do today - that they took the pi55, or back then were all to often on the pi55.

GJ did what was needed, even though many players, and a few fans, resented the way he confronted things. Whatever his methods, he galvanised the club and created a feeling that we hadn't experienced for years. That first year in the championship we had no right to achieve what we did, but I remember going to games not just hoping we would get a decent result, but almost expecting it. He certainly created a belief among fans and players.

We can disect his failings or what he didn't do till the cows come home, but there is no escaping or denying what he did do and what he did achieve for the club. As a result of his achievements fans could once again be proud of their club , instead of being embrassed, and the club was respected throughout the championship and in the wider football world.

The sad thing is that the state we find ourselves now is close to a mirror of how we were when GJ took over. I have even read posts today where fans indicate their

distain for the club. The even sadder fact is that a manager like GJ is just what we now need to shake the club up. My regret is that when GJ was removed we threw baby out with the bathwater and that all the good things he brought to the club went out of the door with him.

The only good thing I can see coming from our almost certain relegation is that overpaid and underperforming players will hopefully either want to leave or be shipped out so we can get our wage bill under better control. While we might end up with a team of younger, less experienced and less capable players, we might end up with a team that wants to play for Bristol City. My fear is that in the brave new world of ffp, SL's million are neutured and that it will be a much tougher task to get out of league 1 than it was last time around.

I'm thankful for the time we had under him but he was losing it fast towards the end and people now act like it was a small number that wanted him out... it wasn't!

GJ was great for the club but he left at the right time and if it hadn't been for the poor board decisions following GJ's leaving and they had instead got a good manager in to replace him no-one would even be talking about him returning. The only reason GJ seems so great is because of the success we had under him which is always remembered over the god awful decisions he started to make or all of the money he wasted on useless wasters.

GJ was right to be replaced when he was, the only reason we're back where we were when he joined us was down to a bad successor choice.

I like GJ, I have fond memories of him leading us too but the last thing I'd want would be him back here. I see far too many City fans trying to live off of nostalgia and if he came back to this club I doubt very much he'd last long if he got off to a start like he did his first run with us because people would turn in a heartbeat. GJ would probably end up joining us again and within a short time would be hated because we wouldn't have such a successful run the second time around and then any good he ever did for the club would be clouded by the disappointment of his second run.

Leave the past in the past, look to the future and keep your fingers crossed that our board stick with SOD and back him fully or we'll be looking for yet another manager half way through next season which will really put us up s***s creek.

Luck I tell thee, all luck.

Bully boy management. Nothing more. One dimensional which doesn't work higher up.

The three dimensional management provided by his sucessors has worked a treat though.

Archived