IGNORED

Sod To Resign?

bs3

It is a sad fact that for all but a decade of the last century competitive performance in the top two divisions has proved unsustainable for Bristol City. Owners, directors, managers and players have come and gone but the missing ingredient has proved illusive. We can play the blame game, we can abuse those that we consider responsible and we can desert the club in its hour of need but until we identify the underlying problems and address them the song will remain the same.

To be a supporter rather than just a spectator involves a commitment and a feeling of belonging which causes us to share in the failures (as well as the fleeting successes). With this in mind I simply cannot comprehend how anyone can come to the conclusion that abusing our players, directors, manager or each other can possibly help our cause.

Getting rid of failing directors, managers and players may be a vital part in delivering an improvement but is nonetheless the easy part - the challenge in every case (and where we have consistently been found wanting) is replacing them with better.

• if our current crop could do better - then abusing them has not (and will not) help;
  • if our current crop cannot do better - then abusing them is neither justified nor helpful

It seems to me that the most vicious abusers on this forum are in the most part unable to form a consistent opinion regarding the competence of their targets but choose to abuse them nonetheless. This seems to me to be no more than the reaction of a spoilt child's reaction to not getting his/her own way - and I like many others am sick to death of it.

Top post Timbo.

I agree with pretty well all you say, but think you might want to put on a tin hat and duck below the parapet for a while.

52260f25689b4965c23be1cc15bd9ccc.png?136

Why would it be horrendous - sound like he's being realistic - hell a lot of fans on here gave up weeks ago......

Is there an agenda to get rid of SoD - seems an awful lot of "rumours" , threads, and attacks on him on these boards - give the guy some bloody time, he's only just got here.......

Why would it be horrendous - sound like he's being realistic - hell a lot of fans on here gave up weeks ago......

Is there an agenda to get rid of SoD - seems an awful lot of "rumours" , threads, and attacks on him on these boards - give the guy some bloody time, he's only just got here.......

I think you can add GJ, KM, DM. SC wasn't here long enough for anyone to start an agenda for him.

I reckon there would be some finding fault and running him down after a few weeks if Sir Alex was in charge here.

He isn't a fan though, hes a manager and gets paid to be a manager... he needs to be far more professional than that IMO.

What a pathetic thread !!

WTF was he suppose to say?......im sure 99% of us would of gave similar answers and if you ask me its good to hear it exactly as it is from a Manager rather than the usual pansy answers.

Sods right....its a supporters choice to attend, not his, and if you don't agree with him that were doomed then your deluded.

It is a sad fact that for all but a decade of the last century competitive performance in the top two divisions has proved unsustainable for Bristol City. Owners, directors, managers and players have come and gone but the missing ingredient has proved illusive. We can play the blame game, we can abuse those that we consider responsible and we can desert the club in its hour of need but until we identify the underlying problems and address them the song will remain the same.

To be a supporter rather than just a spectator involves a commitment and a feeling of belonging which causes us to share in the failures (as well as the fleeting successes). With this in mind I simply cannot comprehend how anyone can come to the conclusion that abusing our players, directors, manager or each other can possibly help our cause.

Getting rid of failing directors, managers and players may be a vital part in delivering an improvement but is nonetheless the easy part - the challenge in every case (and where we have consistently been found wanting) is replacing them with better.

• if our current crop could do better - then abusing them has not (and will not) help;
  • if our current crop cannot do better - then abusing them is neither justified nor helpful

It seems to me that the most vicious abusers on this forum are in the most part unable to form a consistent opinion regarding the competence of their targets but choose to abuse them nonetheless. This seems to me to be no more than the reaction of a spoilt child's reaction to not getting his/her own way - and I like many others am sick to death of it.

The trouble is trying to identify the underlying problems !

Maybe he was, and so he should of been. But it seems a measured answer. Might of been better shouting shut the **** up you daft ****. But instead, he has reportedly come back with a rather measured answer suggesting it is up to the fan if he comes or not, he doesn't care. That is the bit that puts him on dodgy ground. A pure rant, and hey it is what it is, this if true sounds a little different.

Maybe O'Driscoll isn't the sort of bloke who rants like that? He doesn't appear to me to have a particularly animated character.

Can I just suggest something to those moaning about SODs actions.....

The bloke is a football manager who is clearly incredibly driven, with his team bottom, playing poorly, and almost certainy down.....approaching him and asking him Micky mouse questions isn't the most appropriate thing to do, especially when he is probably feeling irritable and pissed off.....

What was the twitter poster expecting, a detailed friendly conversation about life in Bristol? I mean common, we had just played shit and got beat, the last thing SOD wants is another pointless conversation.

Also, not convinced the the twitter poster was completely in the right either, how do we know he wasn't having a moan? I expect he has bent the truth a bit.

People need to get in the real world.

On the money for me, problem is we live in a society where there's a culture of "I want and I want it now".

Agree with most of this. We have gone down for Gods sake. That's what happens in football even the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Man C. have been relegated in the past. Man C were in league 2 a few years ago.

Maybe O'Driscoll isn't the sort of bloke who rants like that? He doesn't appear to me to have a particularly animated character.

Yep. He seems a placid guy. Just saying a rant may have been taken better than a methodical "I don't care if you come or not" never good for a supporter of the club.

Not quite as bad as pdc's go and support oxford speech. But not good non the less

Agree with most of this. We have gone down for Gods sake. That's what happens in football even the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Man C. have been relegated in the past. Man C were in league 2 a few years ago.

You can not use Man City as a comparison, they never had the FFP rules to contend with, if they did, they certainly wouldn't be where they are now. Times have changed, football has changed.

He isn't a fan though, hes a manager and gets paid to be a manager... he needs to be far more professional than that IMO.

So just to be clear - when privately asked a question by a fan you want SOD to lie..... I guess we differ in that, I'd prefer him to tell the truth, if people cannot handle the truth - that's their problem they need to deal with.

What a manager say and what a fan say should be completely separate, if O'Driscoll really felt this way then why can't he just tell the truth in the press? he needs to be consistent with that he says and act a bit more professional, IF this bloke is correct.

Naive as it may seem, maybe he thought he was having a personal conversation with the bloke and didn't expect him to go crying all over the internet about it?

Timbo7 is bang on the money.

We are all on here slating the players etc, so why such uproar when the manager does it.

I'm just glad hes seeing the same as us!

Yep I'll give him that. If that was Del or Millen, they would said the following..

' the players are working hard in training and I have faith in them '

' I've given them DVDs to work on it '

Blind faith whereas SO'D says it as it is which I like.

Most of the time the sort of person that takes this kind of thing to twitter is, to be frank, a lippy bellend. I doubt it's the full story and if he got short shrift I expect there was a reason for it.

The guy would have spent the best part of £100 to be at Burnley whereas the players and manager were paid thousands each to be there. Personally I think he's got every right to be a lippy bellend.

I've been to 3 away games since SOD took over - Blackburn Cardiff Derby - and dont recall a decent shot on goal from our lads in any of them.

I'm starting to get the feeling Internet forums are bad for football clubs.

Reading this stuff is making me feel a bit queasy.

It's not just fora, Facebook and Twitter amplify the sense of entitlement and plain idiocy of the most shrill reactionary fans at any club too

If we're not having a player of the season vote (see another thread) perhaps a 'post of the season' instead. This would get my vote.

Archived