IGNORED

Consolodate Or Risk A Big Change?

spudski

Its a huge risk and I seriously doubt City would go down that road after the Benny fiasco.

Sure Swansea did it but they had a special manager in Martinez to gradually implement the changes. There aren't many like him around. All the subsequent managers at Swansea have been of the same ilk.

Watford - abusing the loan system imo. How many Italian loans do they have? What help is that for British players that can't get a game?

It wasn't down to any one manager, it was down to a succession of managers starting with Paulo Sousa, and a very very forward thinking board, and some good luck. Why luck, if they had not gone up when they had they would have been picked clean by all the usual clubs.

It wasn't down to any one manager, it was down to a succession of managers starting with Paulo Sousa, and a very very forward thinking board, and some good luck. Why luck, if they had not gone up when they had they would have been picked clean by all the usual clubs.

No, Martinez, then Sousa and then Rodgers.

Under Martinez they were too attacking and defensively frail.

Under Sousa they were too defensive, and didn't score enough.

Rodgers combined the two to create the best side I have seen at championship level that season.

No, Martinez, then Sousa and then Rodgers.

Under Martinez they were too attacking and defensively frail.

Under Sousa they were too defensive, and didn't score enough.

Rodgers combined the two to create the best side I have seen at championship level that season.

Thats right.

Martinez was the first man to introduce the 'continental' style of play. Pass and move and keep possession. What a great idea. It was completely new in the English game and it was Spaniard that had the balls to do it.

Thats right.

Martinez was the first man to introduce the 'continental' style of play. Pass and move and keep possession. What a great idea. It was completely new in the English game and it was Spaniard that had the balls to do it.

Completely new? Can't agree there. The Liverpool side of the 80's was built around possession, clubs like Crewe under Dario have had similar ethos' for years and lets not forget Donny, Arsenal etc.

It's no new thing, it's just been killed by the dinosaurs in English football who are to scared to progress.

It always makes me chuckle how the work Kenny Jackett did at Swansea always seems to be completely ingored while all the credit is thrown Martinez's way. Jackett was the man in charge when they started their rise up the league from being a game away from the conference and along with the board implemented many of the changes at the club that now see them as a mid table team in the top tier and League Cup winners. He got them promoted out of League 2 with a team built around players such as Tate, Monk and Britton that would go on to play for them in the Premier League and when Martinez took over they were already a top League 1 club.

Nobody can deny that Martinez did a very good job at Swansea and he was key in implementing their tiki-taka style of play (not that I remember too much poor football when they were stuffing us 7-1 under Jackett), but they were already on an upward curve when he took over the job and that does seem to be largely ignored by a lot of people.

I see your reasoning, but there is no gaurantee the Swansea way would work for us anywhow. Personally i think the club is slowly changing the ethos in the right direction, and with sod at the helm we will gradually get better, until the redevelopment is finnished imo it will be a sustained period of consolidation.

So we slag off Cardiff for being "Malaysia FC" and then our next idea is to replace all of our team with foreigners..... makes sense.

No, I think the discussion has moved on a bit to going down a more foreign coaching route. And there have been some great contributions by the likes of Harry, Spudski and others.

Clubs like Arsenal and, more realistically for a club of our stature, Swansea have proved that you can play possession football and still win matches in English football - and in all leagues too. For the price of a Stephen McManus loan deal or yet another Lansdown "Gardening Leave" pay-out we could truly start a positive change at the club on the Youth and First Team Coaching sides. But does the club have the balls to do it or, typically in this country where British coaches and managers are concerned, will they give us a million reasons why leaving it as it is and as it has always been is best despite the fact that it never works for us. What do we as fans know eh? We've never played the game at their level (although after some performances this season we might argue we have!!).

If we need to bring a few "Johnny Foreigners" from countries with proven track records in to show the British boys how it's done and that moves the club forward then count me in!! And if we have to bring in the odd foreign player to help get it all off the ground at first team level then you won't see me complaining either.

S O'D has already stated (several times probably) that one of the major issues that we have is an absence of a playing style that can be readily identified with the club ('the bristol city way') - and that he considers it very important that we address this.

Given that it is unlikley that S O'D's style of choice will be 'keep the ball in the air as long as possible', it seems entirely plausible that he wants to deliver what you are all calling for. He's a big admirer of what Clough has done / is doing at Derby - a club that could well be the 'next swansea' IMO.

The Ajax Academy was limiting parental attendance decades ago.

Parents at City have no influence on what is trained or where the kids play. It's unfortunate that fans don't get access to the philosophy in the academy as it is really pretty good. Secondly with respect to style of play the feedback from the Danish coaches of teams that City.played recently was that they we're amazed how not like a typical British team City played.

Believe it or not the accademy has always been about pass,pass and pass some more,know young lads who have been there but been released,what they don't like is aggression,which brings us back to being too nice.

Parents at City have no influence on what is trained or where the kids play. It's unfortunate that fans don't get access to the philosophy in the academy as it is really pretty good. Secondly with respect to style of play the feedback from the Danish coaches of teams that City.played recently was that they we're amazed how not like a typical British team City played.

That's good to hear fl22. I suppose for most fans on here, their only knowledge of the academy is how much it costs, how few academy graduates progress to the first team and therefore what a waste of money it is.

Fingers crossed, what you say is reflecting the changes that have been made in recent times, and that we will see the benefits in the not too distant future with our own youngsters making it to the first team with a good footballing philosophy behind them.

Archived