IGNORED

Consolodate Or Risk A Big Change?

spudski

I've followed closely what has happened at Swansea in the last few years and also what has happened at Watford this year. Both clubs have gone down a 'different' route, and whether you agree with them or not, both have had some success to varying degrees.

With financial restrictions becoming more in place and most Football league clubs following similar formula ( which they have for years ) Do you think it would be good for our Club to think outside the box a little and do something different to the norm?

We just seem to be going round in circles... similar players, similar managers... similar results. Pretty much every club in the Championship can beat one another on their day. So with these new restrictions in place, less money to use... do we look to Acadamy and youth and stay mainly British with 'average' players that no one else wants...or try something new?

With League 1 pretty much imminent I see this as an opportunity to make that change.

Personally I would like us to go 'Continental'. Get gifted young technical players in. A foreign manager. Play the 'Continental' way. I really do believe that 'average' continental players are far better than the average British player in the Championship.

At least it would be interesting and maybe exciting... What have we got to lose? Can't be any worse than wasting the millions like we have on 'average' Championship style players.

I'd definately embrace the change...

Any thoughts... constructive?

I'd agree with your main point.

I watch alot of live games via Bet365, and you'd be surprised at the quality of games on show from dozens of leagues outside of the big 5 (England, Germany, Spain, France and Italy).

Fast tempo, passing to feet, pace etc. Nothing like your average Championship game.

Its a huge risk and I seriously doubt City would go down that road after the Benny fiasco.

Sure Swansea did it but they had a special manager in Martinez to gradually implement the changes. There aren't many like him around. All the subsequent managers at Swansea have been of the same ilk.

Watford - abusing the loan system imo. How many Italian loans do they have? What help is that for British players that can't get a game?

I agree whole heartedly Spudski. To be honest I just wonder where we would be had we kept Benny, and started building back then, he was blooding young players, we was also getting some talent from abroad, he just needed to instill his ideas in a team that was already heading the wrong way.

I still don't know if he chose to leave or if he was asked to leave. But I firmly believe he could have got this club going in a structured direction given the time. Clearly most of our British players didn't have a clue about his methods when he joined, and that didn't help, especially as he wasn't hired to manage them.

He is th ekind of person I would have like to head up and oversea the running of all things football, with a good continental coach coming in to take the reigns of the first team.

of course none of this is guaranteed to work, but it would be the direction I would like the club to take.

Its a huge risk and I seriously doubt City would go down that road after the Benny fiasco.

Sure Swansea did it but they had a special manager in Martinez to gradually implement the changes. There aren't many like him around. All the subsequent managers at Swansea have been of the same ilk.

Watford - abusing the loan system imo. How many Italian loans do they have? What help is that for British players that can't get a game?

Yes Watford do have a few Italians from Udinese, as well as from other foreign clubs... and a large squad. They have however loaned a lot of players out as well.

The loan system maybe abused... but it's in place and fair play to watford for finding a 'loophole' and doing it differently. As for British players... what are we a charity for them? You find the best players regardless of nationality in these trying times....surely?

Also as TRL has said... I agree 100% with what he say's... Benny wasn't a fiasco...the board at the time were imho. There in lies the problem at this Club for me... we've never had a board or owners that have football knowledge... plenty of passion, money and desire...but lack of knowledge imho.

There is no reason why we couldn't do a Swansea or Watford. We have an owner with potential backing... just knowledge and thinking outside the box missing.

Perhaps 1982 is still hanging over us...

Either way... we could rebuild as we have done before... same old shit...just another day....or just try something different... Surely it would be exciting and give a boost to a Club in much need of it? I really do fear dark times ahead for this Club. Drifting support and a board that many fans feel disalusioned about.

I actually believe more is happening behind the scenes than we realise and that the changes to the youth structure, the new policy of signing young players and the recruitment of SOD is part of the board's attempts to restructure the club in a similar way to Swansea. Whether or not it works will require patience.

I don't think the nationality of the manager is massively relevant to this. Brendan Rodgers played a key role for Swansea and is British. SOD did a lot of work turning Doncaster into a passing team overachieving on a budget but could only take them so far.

I honestly believe over the last six months we've started doing the right things. The problem is that we're saddled with the mess and lack of direction of the last four years. If the board and manager can stay the course with what they're trying to do now I honestly think we will turn things around. Short-termism has been our problem and the last thing we need is to rip another policy up and try a new one without giving it a chance to work.

I actually believe more is happening behind the scenes than we realise and that the changes to the youth structure, the new policy of signing young players and the recruitment of SOD is part of the board's attempts to restructure the club in a similar way to Swansea. Whether or not it works will require patience.

I don't think the nationality of the manager is massively relevant to this. Brendan Rodgers played a key role for Swansea and is British. SOD did a lot of work turning Doncaster into a passing team overachieving on a budget but could only take them so far.

I honestly believe over the last six months we've started doing the right things. The problem is that we're saddled with the mess and lack of direction of the last four years. If the board and manager can stay the course with what they're trying to do now I honestly think we will turn things around. Short-termism has been our problem and the last thing we need is to rip another policy up and try a new one without giving it a chance to work.

I will be quite happy if they stick to the structure, if that is the route they are deciding to take. It is the change that happens every year that worries me. It suggests there is no long term plan, and they flit to one mistake to another. So fingers crossed, this time next year, we wil not be buying 30 year olds and have changed manager again. It is time the board made a decision and stuck to it, they have been guilty of their own downfall as far as I am concerned.

How about a variation on a theme.

As a regular watcher of Academy football nobody can tell me that Spanish or Dutch lads have more ability at aged 9-11 than English lads do. But they undoubtedly get access to better coaching. So how about we employ some Spanish and Dutch coaches to run the Academy instead of one or two English guys who are twenty years behind them?

A club we might want to take a look at is Athletic Bilbao. They have a strict "Basque only" policy and yet have stayed in the top division in Spain throughout their entire existence I believe. How do they produce these players year in and year out? Shouldn't we be trying to find out?

So what I am saying is why don't we try and produce ENGLISH players to do a job for the club?

How about a variation on a theme.

As a regular watcher of Academy football nobody can tell me that Spanish or Dutch lads have more ability at aged 9-11 than English lads do. But they undoubtedly get access to better coaching. So how about we employ some Spanish and Dutch coaches to run the Academy instead of one or two English guys who are twenty years behind them?

A club we might want to take a look at is Athletic Bilbao. They have a strict "Basque only" policy and yet have stayed in the top division in Spain throughout their entire existence I believe. How do they produce these players year in and year out? Shouldn't we be trying to find out?

So what I am saying is why don't we try and produce ENGLISH players to do a job for the club?

You got there about a minute before me Grandad. I was about to post along the same lines.

I also am under the impression that the Club are trying to consolodate behind the scenes... improving youth acadamy and the scouting system... however they have tried this before. We were one of the lowest league clubs to be afforded an Acadamy back in the day...and where has that got us? Loads of money spent for little result. We are competing and losing against the likes of Southampton and Villa and Cardiff when it comes to local talent. We are just following the same route as the majority of other league clubs. Some do well...some don't...the majority are just average. I really can't see us being any different to how we have been for the majority of our history. Bobbing about as an average team amongst the 92 League teams.

Personally i would love us to set up a system and go down that 'continental' route...

You mention Brendan Rodgers... he maybe British, but he was highly influenced by his father, Barcelona and foreign coaching methods...

Wiki can explain a few things better than me..

Rodgers moved around Europe studying different coaching methods, and was eventually invited by manager José Mourinho to join the Chelsea Academy as the head youth coach in 2004. He was promoted to reserve team manager two years later, and was kept in that position by Avram Grantt and Luiz Felipe Scolari. He also speaks fluent Spanish and is learning Italian. His knowledge of European football is immense.

Again i agree with TRL... but i would like to see us getting away from so called British talent. When you compare it to the rest of Europe... on average...we have none. As much as i would love to think the Brits are talented...they are not.

I truely believe..if Lansdown wants to see a successful club in his lifetime....then he needs to get away from this 'tried and tested British formula'... as it just sets you up like everyone else.

I believe players taken from the second tier of most European nations put together would piss all over most Championship sides.

TRL and Keepers Grandad make both valid points...

The English coaching system is archaic. A mix of foreign coaches employed, English and foreign young players being coached technically instead of speed, fitness and strength all the time would at least be a step forward.

The board have openly stated that future signings will tend to be young and hungry rather than the Nicky Hunt type failures in recent years.

SoD has also confirmed that he came to us rather than Blackpool or Barnsley because he liked what he heard about the clubs transfer policy going forwards.

Given his proven ability to turn out attractive sides with younger and unheard of players at Bournemouth and Doncaster it would appear that as long as he stays with us this will be the way ahead.

Even, and I know it's a huge even, if we were to stay up, I believe that there would be a major clear out this summer and Sean would be given free reign to rebuild as a matter of urgency. With the new financial regs it may be a blessing as we would not be able to pay the ridiculous bloated contracts that we have seen in recent years and the club would be able to move forward on a more solid financial footing.

As a member of the fans parliament I do know that the club are prepared for relegation and the financial implications of it, as we have discussed this with the Commercial Manager.

The board have openly stated that future signings will tend to be young and hungry rather than the Nicky Hunt type failures in recent years.

SoD has also confirmed that he came to us rather than Blackpool or Barnsley because he liked what he heard about the clubs transfer policy going forwards.

Given his proven ability to turn out attractive sides with younger and unheard of players at Bournemouth and Doncaster it would appear that as long as he stays with us this will be the way ahead.

Even, and I know it's a huge even, if we were to stay up, I believe that there would be a major clear out this summer and Sean would be given free reign to rebuild as a matter of urgency. With the new financial regs it may be a blessing as we would not be able to pay the ridiculous bloated contracts that we have seen in recent years and the club would be able to move forward on a more solid financial footing.

As a member of the fans parliament I do know that the club are prepared for relegation and the financial implications of it, as we have discussed this with the Commercial Manager.

A good policy in theory...ok if you want to be a league 1 team or maybe at a push, a lower Championsip side. Where are Donny and the Cherries now. Crewe are also seen as stable, attractive and secure...run well... but all like us very average.

"Where are Donny and the Cherries now"

The league above us in about 3 weeks unfortunately.

Neither club had the financial acumen to push on with Sean.

My fear is that a club like Leeds might come calling and he's only on a rolling one year contract.

"Where are Donny and the Cherries now"

The league above us in about 3 weeks unfortunately.

Neither club had the financial acumen to push on with Sean.

My fear is that a club like Leeds might come calling and he's only on a rolling one year contract.

Lets see how they fair next year... probably like us...bobbing about between the two divisions.

I'm still under the impression that SL wants Premiership football...however i still don't think he'll get it under 'traditional' methods.

Just my opinion of course...if i had his wealth... I would do it totally different. But i'm not... so it's just a case of watch and see :-)

I accepted that we are a yo-yo club years ago. Unless we can get a manager to build momentum and team spirit like GJ and get on a roll again I can't see us being any more than mid-table Championship dreamers.

Totally agree... I've seen nothing different in all the years i've followed the club. Even the slight stint during the 70's was a bollock up in the big picture of things. I accepted the same as you... that's why i suggested thinking outside the box and doing something different. I think we need more than momentum and team spirit.

We need tecnically sound footballers, that are inteligent and know how to play different systems.

I also believe British footballers generally are less inteligent than a lot of European players...especially Spanish, German, French and Italian... that goes even deeper because of the difference in society. Arsene Wenger has also touched on this.Respect and the willingness to learn and be told, are things i've noticed in youth teams abroad... but it's a struggle here. Mix that with the poorer system coaching here, and that's why i would be keen to go 'foreign'.

Totally agree... I've seen nothing different in all the years i've followed the club. Even the slight stint during the 70's was a bollock up in the big picture of things. I accepted the same as you... that's why i suggested thinking outside the box and doing something different. I think we need more than momentum and team spirit.

We need tecnically sound footballers, that are inteligent and know how to play different systems.

I also believe British footballers generally are less inteligent than a lot of European players...especially Spanish, German, French and Italian... that goes even deeper because of the difference in society. Arsene Wenger has also touched on this.Respect and the willingness to learn and be told, are things i've noticed in youth teams abroad... but it's a struggle here. Mix that with the poorer system coaching here, and that's why i would be keen to go 'foreign'.

Don't want to sound like a broken record but PARENTS are the problem in Youth football, even at Academies. What has been accepted in Spain and Holland is that repetition is key to achieving perfection. Unfortunately in this country parents send their kids to Academies but most will simply not accept repitition in coaching on their son's behalf as it is too "boring" for little Johnny who must play a game in the last half hour of each session he attends otherwise he's not coming next week.

The clubs therefore spend too much time trying to vary sessions and make them "stimulating" when actually these boys need to be practicing core skills for hours on end INCLUDING in their own time if they are keen enough (that's what the boys who do end up making it will be doing).

But old fashioned learning goes against the grain in this country. 360 degree coaching (i.e. outfield players play in every area of the pitch) is also frowned upon by parents who believe their son is the next Rooney so cannot bear to see him have a bad game whilst he is learning a new position/area of the pitch when in reality it is probably the best learning method a young player can experience. "But he scored four goals in the first quarter so why are they playing him at Left Back?" is the sort of ill informed drivel they come out with. And the kid has got to listen to the same ill informed drivel all the way home in the car. Is it any wonder some of these lads never become any better or "willing to learn" as you correctly put it than "aarr Dad"?!!

Get foreign coaches in and get parental influence OUT. Then kids in this country will be given the chance to prove that they have the skill and the brains to compete with anyone. There is no reason whatsoever for British kids to be inferior than their foreign counterparts. And no reason for people like us to accept that to be the case.

I've followed closely what has happened at Swansea in the last few years and also what has happened at Watford this year. Both clubs have gone down a 'different' route, and whether you agree with them or not, both have had some success to varying degrees.

With financial restrictions becoming more in place and most Football league clubs following similar formula ( which they have for years ) Do you think it would be good for our Club to think outside the box a little and do something different to the norm?

We just seem to be going round in circles... similar players, similar managers... similar results. Pretty much every club in the Championship can beat one another on their day. So with these new restrictions in place, less money to use... do we look to Acadamy and youth and stay mainly British with 'average' players that no one else wants...or try something new?

With League 1 pretty much imminent I see this as an opportunity to make that change.

Personally I would like us to go 'Continental'. Get gifted young technical players in. A foreign manager. Play the 'Continental' way. I really do believe that 'average' continental players are far better than the average British player in the Championship.

At least it would be interesting and maybe exciting... What have we got to lose? Can't be any worse than wasting the millions like we have on 'average' Championship style players.

I'd definately embrace the change...

Any thoughts... constructive?

I agree I think we need to go down a different route but I'm not so sure this is the right one.

By doing what you've suggested, what good would that do for the English game and the national team?

Touchline parents = ''Get rid''....''Clear it''...''Stop fannying about''.... = Hoofball.

Same goes for football fans in the stands. England will never progress in football with the attitude we have towards the game.

Football is a simple game when you play it right and we do not do that.

Don't want to sound like a broken record but PARENTS are the problem in Youth football, even at Academies. What has been accepted in Spain and Holland is that repetition is key to achieving perfection. Unfortunately in this country parents send their kids to Academies but most will simply not accept repitition in coaching on their son's behalf as it is too "boring" for little Johnny who must play a game in the last half hour of each session he attends otherwise he's not coming next week.

The clubs therefore spend too much time trying to vary sessions and make them "stimulating" when actually these boys need to be practicing core skills for hours on end INCLUDING in their own time if they are keen enough (that's what the boys who do end up making it will be doing).

But old fashioned learning goes against the grain in this country. 360 degree coaching (i.e. outfield players play in every area of the pitch) is also frowned upon by parents who believe their son is the next Rooney so cannot bear to see him have a bad game whilst he is learning a new position/area of the pitch when in reality it is probably the best learning method a young player can experience. "But he scored four goals in the first quarter so why are they playing him at Left Back?" is the sort of ill informed drivel they come out with. And the kid has got to listen to the same ill informed drivel all the way home in the car. Is it any wonder some of these lads never become any better or "willing to learn" as you correctly put it than "aarr Dad"?!!

Get foreign coaches in and get parental influence OUT. Then kids in this country will be given the chance to prove that they have the skill and the brains to compete with anyone. There is no reason whatsoever for British kids to be inferior than their foreign counterparts. And no reason for people like us to accept that to be the case.A

A most excellent post sir... you know yer onions. It's been like it for as long as i can remember.

As for Lew T's point... i get your drift... but little bcfc won't change the bigger picture. It has to change across the board...across British society at grassroots level to make any effect imho.

Touchline parents = ''Get rid''....''Clear it''...''Stop fannying about''.... = Hoofball.

Sounds like the Ashton Gate crowd shouting at our defence all season.

Listened to a Sky interview Stale SOLBAKKEN gave after leaving Wolves he stated that he wasn't sure the board knew which direction they wanted to go in.

He was trying to build a team from the bottom up new tactics and ideas some fans saw what he was about others didn't sounded like SOD the other week with his mammoth statement.

Short of a total rebuild with youth and skill City will continue to fail signing journeymen players and cast offs would really like to see some genuine skilled homebased & foreign younger players coming through if it takes time then as long as we can see progress being made i'd give whoever time.

But not the same failed deadbeats who have given up with no spirit for the last 3/4 seasons if they are here next season then the club and board can get on with its own demise.

EDIT: Perhaps at clubs like Bristol city, yeah, your way would be better I agree. But village teams, no.

Get foreign coaches in and get parental influence OUT. Then kids in this country will be given the chance to prove that they have the skill and the brains to compete with anyone. There is no reason whatsoever for British kids to be inferior than their foreign counterparts. And no reason for people like us to accept that to be the case.

Hi, I'm a 'British kid' (well, 18 now!) and I played from U8's right up to U18's. I get what you're saying, and I've played both for managers who will 'drill' us for an hour in training and a manager who will let us have a kickabout for an hour. And y'know what, being forced to practise passing for an hour week in week out was so unenjoyable for a bunch of 12 year olds that only 3 people signed up to play the following season.

On the other hand, my team nowadays, despite being one step from a pub team, is still going strong. We play every week and we have fun, and we all love football. A lot of my friends, who 'properly trained' and are admittedly better players than me, just have nothing to do with football now. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you, and Britain collectively, wants to get out of football. I just know that some of your suggestions would put a hell of a lot of kids off playing, and that's not worth getting to a few tournament semis for.

Well, I've just 'Liked' 2 of Keepers Grandad's posts in this thread.

A man after my own heart. You sir are talking more sense than I've ever seen on here. Loving your work, keep it up.

Spudski - I'd love to see us try a whole new approach, but you and I both know that we have a lot of incredibly impatient fans who simply won't accept it. That's the main issue. I mean for crying out loud, there are STILL some people on here suggesting SL get his chequebook out and we come bouncing back up next year, as they don't understand the simple premise of 65% of turnover to spend on wages. Many of our fans need educating just as much as the parents the Keepers Grandad has talked about.

Swansea fans accepted their fate and accepted their boards long-term plans as they were a team struggling to stay in the football league at the time. I can't see some of our fans having the patience to sit through a long-haul philosophy revolution.

The plans the new board have in place regarding recruitment is the correct philosophy in my opinion. However, in order to achieve their desire of recruiting young, cheap and talented players, an improved scouting network is essential. This tied in with an improved academy to grow our own is the right way to go. And yes, that Academy, in my opinion, should be supplemented with some excellent foreign coaches, to bring through the technical abilities of players aged between 12-18 (the age group where Brits tend to lose it!).

There's nothing to suggest that improved scouting can't be utilised within a foreign network as well as a British one. If we get the scouting system right, the young, cheap, hungry, future asset philosophy can be applied to youngsters from abroad just as well. Particularly if we can get a reputation for having excellent foreign coaches in place in the academy, so the better youngsters will be keen to join us to progress.

Everyone needs to understand that gone are the days where we will be signing million pound players, signing overpaid journeymen for their experience. If the board stay true to their structure (which I hope they do), we can expect only players under 24 who have the potential to get better, and that means also bringing in the right coaches to correctly nurture that potential and bring it through.

I've said elsewhere on here that I can't see us paying any new players any more than £3k per week next season. This means that in the main we will have to pick up youngsters from League 1 and below. And they will have to be players that we feel can get better whilst they are with us. If they're English, then great, if they're local, even better, but if they're foreign, who cares - so long as they are young, gifted and willing to learn.

Well, I've just 'Liked' 2 of Keepers Grandad's posts in this thread.

A man after my own heart. You sir are talking more sense than I've ever seen on here. Loving your work, keep it up.

Spudski - I'd love to see us try a whole new approach, but you and I both know that we have a lot of incredibly impatient fans who simply won't accept it. That's the main issue. I mean for crying out loud, there are STILL some people on here suggesting SL get his chequebook out and we come bouncing back up next year, as they don't understand the simple premise of 65% of turnover to spend on wages. Many of our fans need educating just as much as the parents the Keepers Grandad has talked about.

Swansea fans accepted their fate and accepted their boards long-term plans as they were a team struggling to stay in the football league at the time. I can't see some of our fans having the patience to sit through a long-haul philosophy revolution.

The plans the new board have in place regarding recruitment is the correct philosophy in my opinion. However, in order to achieve their desire of recruiting young, cheap and talented players, an improved scouting network is essential. This tied in with an improved academy to grow our own is the right way to go. And yes, that Academy, in my opinion, should be supplemented with some excellent foreign coaches, to bring through the technical abilities of players aged between 12-18 (the age group where Brits tend to lose it!).

There's nothing to suggest that improved scouting can't be utilised within a foreign network as well as a British one. If we get the scouting system right, the young, cheap, hungry, future asset philosophy can be applied to youngsters from abroad just as well. Particularly if we can get a reputation for having excellent foreign coaches in place in the academy, so the better youngsters will be keen to join us to progress.

Everyone needs to understand that gone are the days where we will be signing million pound players, signing overpaid journeymen for their experience. If the board stay true to their structure (which I hope they do), we can expect only players under 24 who have the potential to get better, and that means also bringing in the right coaches to correctly nurture that potential and bring it through.

I've said elsewhere on here that I can't see us paying any new players any more than £3k per week next season. This means that in the main we will have to pick up youngsters from League 1 and below. And they will have to be players that we feel can get better whilst they are with us. If they're English, then great, if they're local, even better, but if they're foreign, who cares - so long as they are young, gifted and willing to learn.

Excellent post mate...

Makes total sense.

I for one will be interested to see the development of future keen and hungry young players.

I really do hope we can find some talented foreign coaches to pass on their skills and knowledge.

However...all this will take time in rebuilding. For the sake of cohesion within the Club I hope the board make a clear statement to the fans, so they fully understand the situation.

SOD knows and SL knows results are vitally important. It is important that SOD is allowed to implement change and shape the squad the way he sees fit, at the same time he must keep a competitive team on the park. If City are in the bottom half of League One next season and being beaten three nil at home by Crawley and SOD is saying in three seasons this team will be fantastic it just won't wash. It is a balancing act between bringing on youthful players and a few tried and trusted warriors who can keep us at the top end of the table.

I'd like us to shell out some serious money on the best available foreign coach to lead the academy. Get the kids playing the right way, you can beat us if you can get the ball off of us type of thing.

It might mean a few lean years, a few more isn't going to hurt. They've really got to get that academy working to the extent that other clubs look at us and think, how do they do it?

Hi, I'm a 'British kid' (well, 18 now!) and I played from U8's right up to U18's. I get what you're saying, and I've played both for managers who will 'drill' us for an hour in training and a manager who will let us have a kickabout for an hour. And y'know what, being forced to practise passing for an hour week in week out was so unenjoyable for a bunch of 12 year olds that only 3 people signed up to play the following season.

On the other hand, my team nowadays, despite being one step from a pub team, is still going strong. We play every week and we have fun, and we all love football. A lot of my friends, who 'properly trained' and are admittedly better players than me, just have nothing to do with football now. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you, and Britain collectively, wants to get out of football. I just know that some of your suggestions would put a hell of a lot of kids off playing, and that's not worth getting to a few tournament semis for.

Mate, my guess, correct me if I am wrong, is that you were a club standard player? And, if so, I totally get what you are saying. Football at that level is 100% about enjoyment and nothing else for most boys (although listening to their parents bagging them on the touchline for making a relatively small mistake makes me wonder at times!!). But in every club team there are kids who want to be a bit better than that and want to rise up the pyramid a little bit to play the highest standard they can.

These are the boys I am talking about, the ones who want to get to Development Centre level and then move into Academies if they are good enough. These are the boys whose parents need to be "educated" in how correct coaching can get their boys where they and the boy wants to be. This is the level where I would limit parental attendance at matches to be honest or at least have periodic "no parents" days.

There needs to be an acceptance at Academy Level from parents that repetition is an important part of learning and that you can't just turn up and play small sided games and do "interesting" drills all of the time. They've accepted it in Holland and Spain for years. They still play SSG's and do nice drills but repetitive coaching is the key element that means Xavi and Inestia can do things on the ball with their eyes shut. Because they have done it 15,000 times before and kept doing it until they reached the level of perfection and after that too!!

Parents at that level need to realise that playing on the left side of the pitch will benefit their right footed lad in the long run and just accept some weeks that he hasn't had his greatest game because he is being asked to do something he is not comfortable with at that point in time. The club centre forward who smashes in 83 goals against opposition he is too good for WILL benefit by playing one quarter (20 minutes) of a four quarter game at Left Back every now and again if and when he moves up to Academy level. He may not be a Centre Forward when "he grows up" for a number of reasons so playing in every area of the pitch will help both him and his coaches and most importantly of all make him a better footballer wherever he ends up.

Your assertion that you cannot do this at the local village club run by volunteers, some with next to no knowledge of football coaching and only doing it because their lad likes the game, is valid. It's the higher levels of Youth football where change has to start.

Mate, my guess, correct me if I am wrong, is that you were a club standard player? And, if so, I totally get what you are saying. Football at that level is 100% about enjoyment and nothing else for most boys (although listening to their parents bagging them on the touchline for making a relatively small mistake makes me wonder at times!!). But in every club team there are kids who want to be a bit better than that and want to rise up the pyramid a little bit to play the highest standard they can.

These are the boys I am talking about, the ones who want to get to Development Centre level and then move into Academies if they are good enough. These are the boys whose parents need to be "educated" in how correct coaching can get their boys where they and the boy wants to be. This is the level where I would limit parental attendance at matches to be honest or at least have periodic "no parents" days.

There needs to be an acceptance at Academy Level from parents that repetition is an important part of learning and that you can't just turn up and play small sided games and do "interesting" drills all of the time. They've accepted it in Holland and Spain for years. They still play SSG's and do nice drills but repetitive coaching is the key element that means Xavi and Inestia can do things on the ball with their eyes shut. Because they have done it 15,000 times before and kept doing it until they reached the level of perfection and after that too!!

Parents at that level need to realise that playing on the left side of the pitch will benefit their right footed lad in the long run and just accept some weeks that he hasn't had his greatest game because he is being asked to do something he is not comfortable with at that point in time. The club centre forward who smashes in 83 goals against opposition he is too good for WILL benefit by playing one quarter (20 minutes) of a four quarter game at Left Back every now and again if and when he moves up to Academy level. He may not be a Centre Forward when "he grows up" for a number of reasons so playing in every area of the pitch will help both him and his coaches and most importantly of all make him a better footballer wherever he ends up.

Your assertion that you cannot do this at the local village club run by volunteers, some with next to no knowledge of football coaching and only doing it because their lad likes the game, is valid. It's the higher levels of Youth football where change has to start.

The Ajax Academy was limiting parental attendance decades ago.

Archived