IGNORED

Phil Neville

alandicks

I know he is beyond our means but what a signing this would be with a sprinkling of younger players, Burns etc around him. A great example of how to conduct yourself on and off the pitch as a professional footballer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22073741

Did we not think this of David James too?

Think he'll make a very good player/manager for a lower league team. Seems like he's got a lot of footballing knowledge.

I know he is beyond our means but what a signing this would be with a sprinkling of younger players, Burns etc around him. A great example of how to conduct yourself on and off the pitch as a professional footballer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22073741

He won't come here. He stated he wishes to play in the Prem next season. Will most probably have a 1 year deal with a Prem newcomer.

Next...

I would be devastated if we signed a player like Neville

I want to see a team full of young uns playing with hunger and desire to play for a bigger club than City.

Then watch them crumble due to lack of experience when it gets tough. Every team needs a mixture of all ages. You get players in their prime, with the experienced and the youthfully exuberant. Just kids is an awful idea, though I'd be against Neville.

Unfortunately this isn't Football Manager.

And having experienced players on big cash has served us so well over the last few seasons.

Stand by what I said, I'm not talking kids as in a team of 18 year olds but there are plenty of players 24 and under who would not cost much who would come here with the hunger and desire to better themselves and would do better than the 'experienced' players who have disgraced themselves this season.

yeah? its that simple isn't it?

Every club in the land would like a team full of ~24 year olds with the right attitudes, on the cheap and playing to the required standards

Unfortunately, as I said this isn't football manager, and the vast majority of any team at our level will consist of journeyman, seasoned pro with the odd youngster thrown in.

There are plenty of players who fit that category, the better signings we have made this season are all in or around that bracket Cunningham (22) Maloney (24) Kelly (23) Baldock (24), Davies (25) Heaton at 26 is still young for a keeper.

Look, I'm not naive enough to think the whole squad will be 24 or under I just don't want us signing anymore 34 year olds who's best years are well behind them,

Baldock was way over priced for what we have got in return, and Davies is hardly the definition of a young hungry player is he? He frequently gets criticised for having a stroll around the pitch without putting in the effort. Heaton is rank average, barely an upgrade on Gerken according to some on here, almost certainly one of the lesser keepers in this league.

If anything your post simply highlights that signing younger players is no more a sound method than signing older solid professionals (ala Stead, McIndoe, Adebola)

You say about "34 year olds who's best years are behind them", when did we last sign a player over 34 (James excluded)? The counter argument is you pay over the odds for younger players who may never be good enough...

Davies I will give you but he will still end up top scorer playing in front of a shocking midfield that offer the strikers next to nothing.

Heaton is far from average, again playing behind 2 centre backs and 2 central midfielders that have offered next to nothing all season ( lucky kelly is here now or it might have been even worse) but that's my opinion and another discussion for another day,

Baldock I think will be a cracking player but we need a decent midfielder who's able to pass to get the best out of him.

There are plenty of other good cheap young players out there who we miss out on because our scouting is shite, we don't have to pay over the odds if we had a decent network.

Good call mr dicks how could someone who is currently in the prem with champions league and england experience not be good for city.

No doubt he will be deemed "not good enough for us" as have lambert, savage, sheringham etc in there time when becoming available.

The gulf between an experienced prem player albeit in his 30's and our journeymen league one players would be embarressing for him. Us supporters have to be realistic of what we have in front of us now.

I would be devastated if we signed a player like Neville

I want to see a team full of young uns playing with hunger and desire to play for a bigger club than City.

Ahem, how are Villa doing this year?

Playing with a team full of 'young uns' doesn't always work.

I can't see a northern millionaire of his professional reputation, having a brother as the the face of Sky with high hopes of a successful coaching career thinking twice about coming here and that's even if we could afford it and weren't stuck in a footballing backwater.

Then watch them crumble due to lack of experience when it gets tough. Every team needs a mixture of all ages. You get players in their prime, with the experienced and the youthfully exuberant. Just kids is an awful idea, though I'd be against Neville.

I'm with this. However I think Neville is an example of a top professional and would be ideal for the young players to play alongside. Can't see him moving this far south though. He'll Probably end up at Bolton or Burnley etc

Just another thought as I haven't been blasted out of the water for suggesting him as a decent signing regarding experience. What about coming here as Player Manager with our Head Coach in the Director Of Football Role some have been suggesting. That might bring him further South though I agree he's more likely to stay in the Prem with maybe Hull attracting him if they go up and he can join up with Bruce ?

Archived