IGNORED

Ryan Taylor

Fuber

For me it's a 'keep', just querying everyone else views on 'im. For me despite scoring too few this season, an argument of note I came upon (no matter how redundant it may be) is that of the first 9 games of the season, the seven of which we had Taylor up front, our form was LWWLLWDLD

Of the form within these 9 results, Taylor played in the two wins v Cardiff and Palace, and all, bar the 1-0 losses to Forest (1st Game) and Barnsley (4th Game), and he didn't start the 9th v Millwall which we drew. So of the Seven Games Taylor played in, our form was -WW-LLWDL- ... Not too shabby, and I do realise Taylor played in 15 games, and yes 6 were in the dreadful winless streak, but I think Taylor is one of those players who would benefit from O''Driscoll's stable and consistent team selections.

And we know he isn't one to score goals anyhow...

Also in the games Taylor played in, our goal talley were better than now

If we get can have two wingers who can put a good cross into the box a Stead Taylor partnership would work as they both have a bit of pace and both very good in the air, Then we could sell Davies and Baldock to free up money for that friggin' centre half!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately with O Driscoll as manager, two 6 ft + strikers on at the same time would be unlikely, and with Steads rumoured wages, we'd be unlikely to keep him, along with Marv and Skuse would be unlikely (saying that, the latter wud free up the wage budget being spent on... Uhh.... Mediocrity?).

Are people not tired of having to rely on long balls to Stead (Taylor) - I was hoping people would finally be looking forward to a more passing game with lots of movement and strikers/midfielders making through/behind defences - Why wrestle with (and out muslce/tussle) defenders when you can simply bypass them with a decent pass.

Are people not tired of having to rely on long balls to Stead (Taylor) - I was hoping people would finally be looking forward to a more passing game with lots of movement and strikers/midfielders making through/behind defences - Why wrestle with (and out muslce/tussle) defenders when you can simply bypass them with a decent pass.

My thoughts exactly.

But.....In the defense of Taylor and Stead both are useful players because of their height. They are good in dead ball situation both defensively and offensively and both can hold up the ball at their feet to bring in others.

The danger with strikers of their type in your team is that the long ball becomes a temptation. We saw that again and again when Adebola was at City although that was down to the manager as much as the players.

We keep hearing the arguments such as 'lots of managers play Cole Skuse' therefore he must be good!

Well i have been watching City for many years, and many of our managers over the years have picked target man type players.

Cheesely, Harford, Royle, Morgan, Johnson, Goater, Adebola, Akinbiyi, Peacock, Stead, Taylor etc

Therefore.......

We keep hearing the arguments such as 'lots of managers play Cole Skuse' therefore he must be good!

Well i have been watching City for many years, and many of our managers over the years have picked target man type players.

Cheesely, Harford, Royle, Morgan, Johnson, Goater, Adebola, Akinbiyi, Peacock, Stead, Taylor etc

Therefore.......

They were British managers of their time stuck in a time warp. The game should have moved on since the 1970 Brazilian World Cup winners showed us how to 'pass and move'. They did it at pace as well.

Now Barcelona do it but despite that they are a one man team. Last nights games showed that.

His goal scoring record in league 2 is approx one goal every 8 games. Based on his performances at City – he never looks like scoring - it’s unlikely he’ll be much better in league 1. If he improved to 1 goal every 6 matches and played in every match (unlikely) he’d only manage approx 8 goals.

Yes he’s great at being a lone front-man but there are plenty others at league 1 level who can do this and score a few goals as well

It's not just big hoof's up the pitch that a hold up player is good for - defend solidly in numbers and your less mobile strikers will be further up the pitch.

Taylor's strength can hold the ball up well and arielly he is n o slouch due to his height - he rarely loses a headed 50:50

I'm not saying he's the answer to our problems but from the lack of wins since Stead's been missing shows that a 'target' man is part of the resolution.

Davies has to go a long way to get O'driscoll round I can see him going in the summer, other clubs always comment on Baldock, would be good to keep him but I think a mid-table championship club would bite our hand off for him. I don't think Stead will stay, as much as I would like him to, leaving Taylor and other, less regularly played, young strikers

For me it's a 'keep', just querying everyone else views on 'im. For me despite scoring too few this season, an argument of note I came upon (no matter how redundant it may be) is that of the first 9 games of the season, the seven of which we had Taylor up front, our form was LWWLLWDLD

Of the form within these 9 results, Taylor played in the two wins v Cardiff and Palace, and all, bar the 1-0 losses to Forest (1st Game) and Barnsley (4th Game), and he didn't start the 9th v Millwall which we drew. So of the Seven Games Taylor played in, our form was -WW-LLWDL- ... Not too shabby, and I do realise Taylor played in 15 games, and yes 6 were in the dreadful winless streak, but I think Taylor is one of those players who would benefit from O''Driscoll's stable and consistent team selections.

And we know he isn't one to score goals anyhow...

Also in the games Taylor played in, our goal talley were better than now

That's handy for a striker !!

Seriously though , as Simon Cowell once said , it's a no from me.

One thing he needs to 'learn' (loosely speaking, as he should know how to do it!) to do is hit the ball towards goal more often! All too often is he scared of taking a shot. Last game of last season he scored when he actually decided to take a shot - if he did that more often, combined with holding the ball up for Baldock/Davies, we'd have ourselves a player.

It's not the fact he doesn't score it's more to the fact he doesn't shoot! If anyone can remember his goal from last year he's got a good shot on him, personally I rate him quite highly as he does hold the ball up we'll and. Has a very good first touch and he's also quite intelligent in bringing others into play aswell

Sorry, Taylor not for me on current showing. Not sure if SOD can improve his alround game in other areas apart from "holding the ball up."

We have to many one dimensional players at the moment and do not match the alround abilities and tecniques of the current players of other Championship sides.

e.g.

Aldomah can run with the ball, not much else.

Nyatanga, Fontaine can mostly play stoppers ( at times ) but nothing else.

Elliott can throw himself around and an occassional heading threat but nothing else.

Rest of the midfield available do not have the combined talents required. i.e. comfortable on the ball, effective defensively, pace, make themselves available, wide variety of passes etc

Davies and Baldock probably have the most attributes but somehow are not regularly using them.

Hopefully SOD can build a team based on the principles he has alluded to and we can start to see a tean that can match others in ability, tecnique, assurance, pace, stamina, patterns of play and confidence. But do not kid yourselves it will not happen overnight.

He is dog shit. Any link to the decent run City had the start is purely coincidental.

While that may be so, its still beneficial to have him or Stead to hold up play, especially this season with our defence lumping it. Our two better runs coincided with having Taylor and Stead in the team.

Will score for fun in league one.

A grand total for City of 2 goals in 32 apps. + 15 subs. only proves one thing.

He's simply not a goalscorer and won't 'score for fun' at any level.

I can't see how he's ever made a career as a professional footballer as a forward - his attributes would be far better suited to centre back and I'd hope SO'D would try him out in that position in training if he remains at the club.

He scored about 10 a season in league 2..

A bit generous ! He scored 12 in 2010/11 preceded by 13 goals in 113 appearances over 3 seasons.

It was obviously his 2010/11 form that attracted Keith's attention.

A bit generous ! He scored 12 in 2010/11 preceded by 13 goals in 113 appearances over 3 seasons.

It was obviously his 2010/11 form that attracted Keith's attention.

Yeah just looked at his stats on wiki, was a tad generous.. but he scored in the league 2 play off final which made clubs interested

He scored about 10 a season in league 2..

When you say '10 a season', he's only ever actually scored 10 or more once - 11 in 36 + 4 subs. the season before he came here.

Apart from that season, his seasonal totals have been: 0,6,4,2,1,1, so 14 goals in a total of 140 full apps. & 75 sub.

Without meaning being to be too harsh, for a forward it's an appalling record, probably unrivalled in it's paucity.

Archived