IGNORED

So Then , What Do We All Think?

glynriley

We need it, but I'm not sure I want it.

Human error is part of the game for me- I think it makes it things more interesting. However with the stakes/prize money as high as it is and the scrutiny every decision comes under from TV cameras it had to come in.

As long as it's restricted to just goal line technology, I don't want to see a game where any decision is challenged.

Think its good. We have had it in Sweden in hockeygames some years and it works. It takes the ref only 1-2 min to look at the video. In icehockey everyone think its good.

That's shit, it has to be like tennis. An alarm goes off if it's over the line, otherwise play on. We can't have the game stopped to check, the ball will often still be in play with another goalscoring chance coming shortly.

I just worry it's the thin end of the wedge. I hope it doesn't set a precedent for replays of fouls,dives etc.

This.

Once this technology is in the posts to monitor the goal line, someone will think to apply the same technology installed on the other side of the post to monitor goal kicks and corners. Cameras in the corner flags can look for throw ins and how about using the camera technology which travels on a rail around a running track to monitor offside?

It's the thin edge of the wedge indeed. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Goal line technology to be introduced next season.

A triumph for technology and a step forward or an end to the human factor and pub talking points.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22107409

..certainly wont stop the debating over a beer,far too many other imponderables in most games to allow the rare use of this technology to spoil the fun!..

Given the number of controversial high profiles goals recently - e.g. Dortmund vs Malaga, 2 of the 5 goals were offside, I think it is far more important to get the decisions correct than continue with results being determined in many cases by incorrect decisions by ref and linesmen. OK, they get it right most of the time, but given the amount of $ at stake, it is inevitable technology will increase, with the goal line being the first of many over time. Rugby has it, cricket has it, tennis has it - it has not "destroyed" the enjoyment of the games - why not football? Could use a combination of Rugby - review when a goal is scored, and tennis - each team has say 2 reviews they can use during a match. If they lose the appeal they do not retain it to use again - if they win the appeal then they keep it. Either team captain can request the review to the ref, or the manager via the 4th official.

So why is it more important to know if a ball has crossed the line than to know if a striker has been wrongly flagged offside?

Because its definitely a goal if it crosses the line, if a player is offside he won't necessarily score!

How often though? I suspect it will only be called into action every few dozen games or so, it will be no more of a hassle than when say a player is down for 1-2 minutes with a serious injury and the ref stops play (something that happens probably way more often).

Can you explain how it should work then when the keeper makes a parry right on the line? Should play continue for another five minutes until the ball goes out and then check? Should we stop play?

It doesn't matter how often it happens, you can't have this in a game that doesn't have a natural stopping point. It either gives an instant result or it's useless.

Because its definitely a goal if it crosses the line, if a player is offside he won't necessarily score!

I'm on about when he's scored, I've never really got why so many people wanted goal line technology, goals wrongly ruled out for offside is far more common.

the same way as playing the advantage. In most cases the ball will go out of play or be in a neutral zone within a few seconds or minutes of the incident, allowing the ref to pause the game and review if needed. If there was no goal, then play can re-start with a drop ball similar to the way it does at the moment when play is paused for head injuries (good sportsmanship usually comes into play here)

Of course there will be the odd time when the other team gallops up the pitch and scores, but in which case their goal will be chalked off and the other one given. After all, the ball crossed the line therefore play should have stopped.

You have to understand that the second scenario will happen very very infrequently, in fact I cant think of a single time a goal has not been given over the line, only for the other team to score at the other end all inside the same passage of play

In many, many cases there will be several phases of play either side of a goalscoring chance in and around the penalty area without the ball going out of play. This can and does go on for a long time. You can't stop the game five minutes later and award a goal. What do you do with the time? What about if someone commits a sending off offence in that window? Far too many complications.

It doesn't matter how rare this sort of happening is, because right now a goal being given or not given incorrectly is very rare and we still think that is enough of a problem to try and fix it. You can bet on it being an important game where controversy erupts.

The only way this technology is viable is if there's an instant goal alarm and if it doesn't sound there's no goal. We can't have video replay, challenges or review during the game, it would be awful from the point of view of the spectators, the players and the officials.

Archived