IGNORED

Wes Burns

Lew-T

As it says on the official site:

"The 17-year-old has enjoyed six outings and a goal during his temporary spell at the Blue Square Bet Premier club.

However, the Gloucestershire side can no longer qualify for end-of-season play-offs and Burns – a Wales Under-21 international – could now gain some further first team experience in the npower Championship before the season is out."

So I guess it was a choice between him playing some meaningless games at Forest Green, or some meaningless games with his proper team. Makes sense to me.

how he do at forest? anyone know?

The verdict from my friend who holds a season ticket at FGR (and also follows Crewe, giving him a good idea of the league one standard) is that he's not generally ready for league one yet but at his best he is good enough.

Here a comments from a couple of recent games:

"Caught offside too often. Made a few decent runs. Has looked his best previously when he doesn't have time to think as he can wait too long on the ball. Bags of potential"

"Burns running well with the ball but no final product so far."

It's worth adding that as a team FGR have been well off form in the past few weeks. Had he been there in the autumn he might have achieved more in the way of goals.

As it says on the official site:

"The 17-year-old has enjoyed six outings and a goal during his temporary spell at the Blue Square Bet Premier club.

However, the Gloucestershire side can no longer qualify for end-of-season play-offs and Burns – a Wales Under-21 international – could now gain some further first team experience in the npower Championship before the season is out."

So I guess it was a choice between him playing some meaningless games at Forest Green, or some meaningless games with his proper team. Makes sense to me.

Meaningless? Surly not, the scouts are watching, everyone is gonna up their game!

how he do at forest? anyone know?

some quotes both good and not so good, i have watched FGR a number of times recently

they pass the ball around the midfield, generally backwards or sideways and then lump it over the top.

unable to make the telling pass and score goals

a number of long term injuries and form has dropped significantly, manager taking a battering !!!

this was in hindsight perhaps not the right move for Wes... IMO... as far as developing his on the pitch skills, however he will have learned that life doesn't come gift wrapped and you have to work in all kinds of situations and circumstances including the indignity of playing in the wrong position and being pulled off after an hour for being ineffective with SOD in the stands.... awful for the lad, however he played very well on Saturday though, tried his heart out, but this is a side already on the beach !!!

some of the FGR responses to his recall i think are a little tough on the manager though, he genuinely was thinking about wes and not himself, showed faith in the lad despite the side not getting results

i like Dave Hockerday, he wants to the play the right way, just doesn't have the tools at his disposal this season.... great club and i hope they get out that league next year

i will continue popping along.... great escape from the diving and cheating of premiership football

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Most teams in the Conference and League 2 now play a variation of the 4-3-3 formation as 4-4-2 is very outdated. However, I believe it is the way DH implements the formation and the players he uses in particular positions which causes the problem. For instance, as another poster has stated, Wes Burns is naturally a central striker or right sided winger, yet last night he was played as a left winger and not surprisingly brought of after an hour for being ineffective.
The Running Rover wrote:

dangers wrote:Hear from a source that Bristol City will not be supplying any more players on loan after
Wes
Burns
has been played out of position -

Not surprised by that. He looked utterly frustrated today and appeared to answer DH back at one point when receiving instructions. I bet he can't wait for his loan to be over.

As for who I would like to see as manager, Steve Burr or Justin Edinburgh would be my top 2.

Wes extends loan

Good. He has been a bit of fresh air for us so far and hopefully he has got over his injury and can terrorise a few more defences before the end of the season. With him and Nors up front with Taylor or Magno (or even the new Reece) we ought to have enough firepower. We just need a bit more chance cr...

DH's policy of playing forwards out of position has come back to bite him on this one, especially as according to a previous post Bristol City are unsurprisingly no longer willing to loan us players.

Good luck to Wes in the future.

The Chinese Rover wrote:Recalled by Bristol City...lucky escape for the lad, may get to play in his rightful position!

Good luck for the future

Agreed DH didn't have time to ruin this boys career

• Admin

Because (for what seems like the millionth time on this forum) you cannot recall an outfield player for the first month of any loan.

OK Smart arse, BTW he joined FGR on 12th March, so he could have come back to us on Friday last week

Thanks

OK Smart arse, BTW he joined FGR on 12th March, so he could have come back to us on Friday last week

Thanks

think i can solve this one guys

i think you are both partially correct

wes was on what's called a youth loan, which as i understand it.. means he can be recalled in 24 hours notice, which is what has happened here

hope i am correct and hope that helps.

Graham is correct in his understanding of general loans eg Bobby and Joe, they cannot be recalled as i understand it

some quotes both good and not so good, i have watched FGR a number of times recently

they pass the ball around the midfield, generally backwards or sideways and then lump it over the top.

unable to make the telling pass and score goals

a number of long term injuries and form has dropped significantly, manager taking a battering !!!

this was in hindsight perhaps not the right move for Wes... IMO... as far as developing his on the pitch skills, however he will have learned that life doesn't come gift wrapped and you have to work in all kinds of situations and circumstances including the indignity of playing in the wrong position and being pulled off after an hour for being ineffective with SOD in the stands.... awful for the lad, however he played very well on Saturday though, tried his heart out, but this is a side already on the beach !!!

some of the FGR responses to his recall i think are a little tough on the manager though, he genuinely was thinking about wes and not himself, showed faith in the lad despite the side not getting results

i like Dave Hockerday, he wants to the play the right way, just doesn't have the tools at his disposal this season.... great club and i hope they get out that league next year

i will continue popping along.... great escape from the diving and cheating of Premier League football

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Most teams in the Conference and League 2 now play a variation of the 4-3-3 formation as 4-4-2 is very outdated. However, I believe it is the way DH implements the formation and the players he uses in particular positions which causes the problem. For instance, as another poster has stated, Wes Burns is naturally a central striker or right sided winger, yet last night he was played as a left winger and not surprisingly brought of after an hour for being ineffective.
The Running Rover wrote:

dangers wrote:Hear from a source that Bristol City will not be supplying any more players on loan after
Wes
Burns
has been played out of position -

Not surprised by that. He looked utterly frustrated today and appeared to answer DH back at one point when receiving instructions. I bet he can't wait for his loan to be over.

As for who I would like to see as manager, Steve Burr or Justin Edinburgh would be my top 2.

Wes extends loan

Good. He has been a bit of fresh air for us so far and hopefully he has got over his injury and can terrorise a few more defences before the end of the season. With him and Nors up front with Taylor or Magno (or even the new Reece) we ought to have enough firepower. We just need a bit more chance cr...

DH's policy of playing forwards out of position has come back to bite him on this one, especially as according to a previous post Bristol City are unsurprisingly no longer willing to loan us players.

Good luck to Wes in the future.

The Chinese Rover wrote:Recalled by Bristol City...lucky escape for the lad, may get to play in his rightful position!

Good luck for the future

Agreed DH didn't have time to ruin this boys career

Love the bit about us not loaning them any more players, do they not know that the loan window is shut and that we can't send them anyone until July 1st

I'd like to see him get some gametime now before the end of the season. We've effectively got four dead rubbers and we might learn something. Ideally I'd have liked some of the other lads to as well but I suppose there's no talk of Bryan and Reid being recalled for the time being?

I'd like to see him get some gametime now before the end of the season. We've effectively got four dead rubbers and we might learn something. Ideally I'd have liked some of the other lads to as well but I suppose there's no talk of Bryan and Reid being recalled for the time being?

Nope they are on official loans not youth loans, so as i understand it they cannot be recalled

Archived