IGNORED

Is Anyone Else A Tiny Bit Excited?

Brizzle Jordan

We have been relegated, ok so that is a big dissapointment and a bit of a tragedy in the clubs recent history.

However.. Looking at next season we will have lots of reasons to be excited.

Let's start with the management; we have a very proven manager in League One who happens to also like playing good football and give youth players a good chance which is what we've all wanted no?

The players; we are finally going to be getting rid of those overrated players and long term servants who didn't deserve to be at the club for so long. With so many players out of contract we will free up the wage bill a fair bit, then with some sales such as Albert Adomah for a fair sum we will have a good starting base to rebuild the squad.

I would like to see Cunningham and Baldock be willio play one season in League One and everyone else who people will say aren't going to want to stay, be sold/released.

This would be a good starting base for next year:

New GK

Maloney

New CB

New CB

Cunningham

New CM

New CM

Burns

New AM

Bryan

Baldock

4-2-3-1 formation.

The sooner we get over relegation the better but there is definitely nothing to suggest next year will be rubbish.

COYR

I don't think excited is quite the right word, but as with every cloud, there are silver linings. There's a chance to cultivate a new team and blood young players without the constant spectre of relegation hanging over us. That's not to say we'll automatically be great in the division below (though I think we'll be competitive from the start), but we have a manager who's had 4 months to appraise the players and the youth and already has plans in his mind for the next season. We're not going to 'do a Norwich' or 'do a Southampton' but I think we'll have a great chance of a promotion tilt next season and it'll be the first time since the play off season where there'll be a bit of forward momentum

So let's be clear- relegation sucks, but if we look really hard and squint a bit and drink a mind-altering quantity of cider, there are some positives to be found

I wouldn't call it excitement at the thought of League 1 and all the crap that goes with it. 1st round FA Cup, Paint Pot Trophy and local derbies against the likes of Swindon and/or Yeovil. I'd call it disappointing.

I'm more curious than anything else to see how O'Driscoll goes about re-building the squad this summer and what style he sets out to play next season. He won't have the excuse of 'I don't have the players to play the way I want to' after he's brought in his own type of player come next season.

It'll be an interesting summer for sure.

If teams like Yeovil can do well.....then why not us?

I'm excited about next season, cos the thought of another bottom six relegation in the Championship just doesn't do it for me!

Re-build, then onwards and upwards!

Ill tell you if I'm excited when the first game of the season kicks off.

This summer will make or break this club, but I do feel we have right man at the helm...finally

You are joking aren't you? This summer will go a long way to determining what sort of season we have, but it will neither be the breaking nor the making of the club. It's a relegation. We've had lots of them.

I'm excited about next season, cos the thought of another bottom six relegation in the Championship just doesn't do it for me!

Pretty much my thoughts too.

I did say to my uncle, "Huddersfield will be the last match we play for some time where you'll have heard of any of the opposition players!"

But generally, my attitude is to draw a line under the last 3 seasons. The chief coach knows he has carte blanche for remodelling the team to suit his style and a lot of dead wood will be jettisoned (although not quite as much as some people seem to think).

I look forward to us fielding a really competitive side next season.

I'm excited, I think this club needed a wake up call and now it has one, from here on I think defines what kind of club we'll be in the future.

All in all I think League One is a more fun league to be a part of, I much prefer my memories of the third tier to the ones of the second.

Good point but had City survived in the Championship I'm sure that things would have been better next season under O'Driscoll.

I think we have been slowly moving backwards as a club since GJ went, coppell was the great hope but we know what happened there. I think short term this is a disaster for the club but longer term could be the best thing that has happened since promotion under GJ. I wouldnt be so quick to lose all the journeymen and would keep carey plus one or two others for one more season as the experiance they bring is going to be needed with a much younger squad of players.

I feel sorry for SOD as it was allways going to be a tall order getting out of the drop zone particulary with the form all the other teams have found. it will be intresting to see what he can do with his own team and he has experiance at L1 and getting out of it which bodes well.

the likes of cardiff/palace etc are way ahead of us at the moment and I dont see the enjoyment of watching city lose at home and just not compete like most of last season. surley far better to take a step back and clear all the players who dont want to be here and build around the ones that do plus a mixture of youngsters and a few new signings to start building some momentum?

I doubt we will bounce back up but am sure we will be much more competitive in L1 and will under SOD get back to the championship in a couple of seasons.

to answer OPs question, im excited that we may have a chance to move forwards again so looking forward to next season.

in answer to original post...no not excited we have failed in so many ways at this level that it feels like we are back to what we deserve, Division 3 football....which compared to the excitement of our first 2 seasons back in the championship is quite a sombering thought

I'm excited to see us actually win some more games. I quite like the Paint Pot Trophy, and West Country Derbies. Now we're not Playing in The Yorkshire First Division there'll be more away trips that are actually a pleasant drive away (Swindon, Yeovil, Wallsall, L.Orient, Coventry, Stevenage, Crawley. Possibly Cheltenham or Exeter). Personally i doubt we'll bounce strait back, but i expect we can look forward to a promotion/playoff push. Entering the cup rounds early means we'll be in three competitions at the same time as the gas, which means we might get the chance of revenge in a derby. It also means rebuilding, and hopefully breathing a bit of new life into the club. Season ticket prices will stay the same, if not dip a little. And if we are performing well then come spring next year we schould be getting higher attendances (If you look back at our attendances in 06/07).
That said, I think your being a bit optimistic to think Baldock and Cunningham will stay. I can honestly only see Maloney, Kelly and, unfortunatly, fonts and tangs. Any other first team regulars that stay will most likely be here against their will after transfere requests that didn't go to plan.. but ah well... they shouldn't have got us relegated.

Not in the slightest. Like Robbored curious to see what happens in the summer and as the season unfolds - but excited? You have to be joking!

A team made up of unproven youngsters and still carrying some of the shit players we have had to put up with this season? Grrrrrrreat! Bring on the 1st round of the league cup I say against a 4th division side like Burton. I cannot wait.

Then there will be the moans on here about lack of TV airtime for us on the Football League Show.

It is going to be a long frustrating season against teams we hoped to have seen the back of.

Oh well, been a 2nd/3rd division yo-yo club for so long why expect anything else.

We have been relegated, ok so that is a big dissapointment and a bit of a tragedy in the clubs recent history.

Let's start with the management; we have a very proven manager in League One who happens to also like playing good football and give youth players a good chance which is what we've all wanted no?

The players; we are finally going to be getting rid of those overrated players and long term servants who didn't deserve to be at the club for so long. With so many players out of contract we will free up the wage bill a fair bit, then with some sales such as Albert Adomah for a fair sum we will have a good starting base to rebuild the squad.

I would like to see Cunningham and Baldock be willio play one season in League One and everyone else who people will say aren't going to want to stay, be sold/released.

New GK

Maloney

New CB

New CB

Cunningham

New CM

New CM

Burns

New AM

Bryan

Baldock

4-2-3-1 formation.

The sooner we get over relegation the better but there is definitely nothing to suggest next year will be rubbish.

COYR

Yeah! The thought of locking horns with Giants of the Football World like Oldham & Gillingham........I can hardly contain myself...in fact I am so bloody pumped up I think I will go and watch Arsenal next season, instead of wasting hard earned on a club I have supported for 40 years...........and to think what I could miss out on?

Current squad and the movement I expect and hope for:

Goalkeepers:

Tom Heaton - I expect him to be released and sign for a championship club next season

Dean Gerken - I expect him to still be here next season but I hope he isn't our number 1

Lewis Carey - If he's still under contract I expect him to be our number 2

Fullbacks:

Brendan Maloney - I think he will be here next season due to SOD being the gaffer and I would be very pleased if he did stay

Greg Cunningham - There will be definite interest in this lad but I sincerely hope he's willing to play one season in League One

Richard Foster - I expect and hope he's sold

Mark Wilson - Will be released

Centre-Backs:

Louis Carey - He will be here next season as a bit part player

Liam Fontaine - I hope some mug of a club buys him for a decent amount

Lewin Nyatanga - I expect him to be sold/released however I wouldn't mind him staying

James Wilson - I hope he is sold

Wide Midfielders:

Albert Adomah - He will be sold for sure and hopefully it's for atleast 1M

Paul Anderson - I think he could be here next season which wouldn't be bad news

Stephen Pearson - I expect and hope he's sold/released

Joe Bryan - Will be a key player next season (my favorite to win young player of the season award)

Centre Midfielders:

Liam Kelly - I think there will be interest in the lad but I hope and have a slight feeling he will stay

Neil Kilkenny - Pray to god he's sold/released

Marvin Elliot - Pretty confident he will be sold

Cole Skuse - I think and hope he moves on

Brian Howard - Released

Bobby Reid - I think he'll be a squad player next season

Strikers:

Sam Baldock - Will have enquiries for him but hoping he stays for one season in League One

Steven Davies - I expect him to be sold

Jon Stead - I expect him to be sold but would love him to stay

Wes Burns - Will be an important player next year IMO

That would leave us with:

Gerken

Carey

Maloney

Cunningham

Carey

Anderson

Bryan

Kelly

Reid

Baldock

Burns

New GK

Maloney

New CB

New CB

Cunningham

New CM

New CM

Burns

New AM

Bryan

Baldock

4-2-3-1 formation.

COYR

The answer to your question is absolutely NO.

As for your last sentence, are you concocting a spell at Hogwarts with your pals as we speak, because I for one don't see it being that easy, really I don't.

The answer to your question is absolutely NO.

As for your last sentence, are you concocting a spell at Hogwarts with your pals as we speak, because I for one don't see it being that easy, really I don't.

I don't think it will be a walk in the park either EMB but with one of the bigger budgets, a proven manager at that level and some promising young players we could be a lot worse off going into it!

I don't think it will be a walk in the park either EMB but with one of the bigger budgets, a proven manager at that level and some promising young players we could be a lot worse off going into it!

Agreed. whilst i dont expect us to bounce straight back, we will be more than competetive in that division, as our history shows we are always one of the bigger/better sides in that division. I am hopefull that odriscoll will clear out the dead wood and bring our young players, whilst having a few additions of his own. However if we keep 4-5 of the players that have been here a number of seasons, we will struggle imo.

Archived