IGNORED

Stockport County To Make History

Cambridge Batch Red

They were not relagated from the league, merely voted out like Barrow and Workington - also former league clubs.

Add to that Gateshead (1960). They have played in the Conference Prem, Conference North & possibly lower.

Ken Wimshurst played for them early in his career. Presumably he was one of their better players which is why he left them when they were voted out of the League.

They were not relagated from the league, merely voted out like Barrow and Workington - also former league clubs.

Don't forget that prior to 1986 (?) that was the only way clubs left apart from bankruptcy. The bottom four sought re-election against a host of non-leaguers. It was the inability of non-league clubs to co-ordinate their activities that kept lame ducks in the league for so long and clubs like Yeovil out.

Simon Inglis's tome "League Football and the men who made it" has a fascinating section on this.

Add to that Gateshead (1960). They have played in the Conference Prem, Conference North & possibly lower.

Ken Wimshurst played for them early in his career. Presumably he was one of their better players which is why he left them when they were voted out of the League.

gateshead v newcastle would be a tasty local derby in about, say, 10 years time.

Add Southport to that list then.

As Carlisle had a sojourn in the Conference I think that all of Cumbria's League and ex-League teams have left through the trapdoor at one time or another. Devon may be about to repeat the trick.

I had a quick look at the Conference table and I think that 15 are ex-League clubs in some shape or form.

For younger Members of this forum; Divisions 3 North & South were formed in 1920 and their bottom pair had to apply for re-election at the League AGM. After the two divisions were merged in 1958 to form Divs 3 & 4, the entire bottom 4 of Div 4 had to reapply. Barrow had two teams beneath them when voted out. That's partly down to them being so difficult to get to.

The clubs in the top 2 divisions had one vote each whilst the clubs in divs 3 & 4 had four votes between them. Clubs trying to stay in or get in the League would go round the big clubs canvassing support, but clubs usually voted in favour of whoever was nearest them. When Hereford applied for League membership City agreed unless Newport sought re-election. As has been posted earlier in this thread, some deadwood remained in the League to long. Also amongst those trying to get into the League would be the top teams from the Southern League, the Northern and occasionally other Leagues plus anyone who had a decent Cup run which all diluted the votes. 1938-39 Bristol Rovers were bottom of Div 3 South and Barnsley in Div 3 North. Both teams were re-elected.

A Grimsby fan I knew complained that Accrington, Barrow, Workington and Southport (all Northern teams) went out and were replaced by Oxford, Hereford, Cambridge & Wimbledon (all Southern teams) and in his opinion that wasn't fair.

When the Conference was set up, auto promo and relegation to & from the League was introduced for the 1985-86 season with Lincoln first to go out. They bounced straight back up, the following year Newport went out & disappeared. The next year it was Colchester and they took 2 years to get back in.

They are fourth from bottom and if they lose or draw they will be the first former league club to be relegated from the conference and into a regional league - Blue Square prem - the Northern version of the same league as Weston.

It went down hill for them ever since they ground shared with Sale Sharks.

Ignore me!

thought so, they were on a fantastic run at the time, the Gash pretended they had no covers, theirs was just about the only game in the country that was called off and they beat them in the replay and went on themselves to promotion - very suspicious!

Yes, I've noticed that the games that get called off at the Mem seem to be very convenient for the Sags - not like that away, though, is it? :rofl2br:

For younger Members of this forum; Divisions 3 North & South were formed in 1920 and their bottom pair had to apply for re-election at the League AGM. After the two divisions were merged in 1958 to form Divs 3 & 4, the entire bottom 4 of Div 4 had to reapply. Barrow had two teams beneath them when voted out. That's partly down to them being so difficult to get to.

The clubs in the top 2 divisions had one vote each whilst the clubs in divs 3 & 4 had four votes between them. Clubs trying to stay in or get in the League would go round the big clubs canvassing support, but clubs usually voted in favour of whoever was nearest them. When Hereford applied for League membership City agreed unless Newport sought re-election. As has been posted earlier in this thread, some deadwood remained in the League to long. Also amongst those trying to get into the League would be the top teams from the Southern League, the Northern and occasionally other Leagues plus anyone who had a decent Cup run which all diluted the votes. 1938-39 Bristol Rovers were bottom of Div 3 South and Barnsley in Div 3 North. Both teams were re-elected.

A Grimsby fan I knew complained that Accrington, Barrow, Workington and Southport (all Northern teams) went out and were replaced by Oxford, Hereford, Cambridge & Wimbledon (all Southern teams) and in his opinion that wasn't fair.

When the Conference was set up, auto promo and relegation to & from the League was introduced for the 1985-86 season with Lincoln first to go out. They bounced straight back up, the following year Newport went out & disappeared. The next year it was Colchester and they took 2 years to get back in.

I had a strong feeling that it was the awkward-to-get-to clubs that failed to be re-elected, like Workington, Barrow, Gateshead, etc. Fortunately for them, Carlisle and Plymouth never had to apply ;)

If you think we have got it bad at least we are not Stockport.

This sat on the final day of the conference Stockport County have to beat title chasing Kidderminster Harriers to avoid relegation.

They are fourth from bottom and if they lose or draw they will be the first former league club to be relegated from the conference and into a regional league - Blue Square prem - the Northern version of the same league as Weston.

It went down hill for them ever since they ground shared with Sale Sharks.

Even if they win they could be relegated because they need Tamworth to lose!

I had a strong feeling that it was the awkward-to-get-to clubs that failed to be re-elected, like Workington, Barrow, Gateshead, etc. Fortunately for them, Carlisle and Plymouth never had to apply ;)

Between 1920 & 1950 there were only 88 League Clubs, 22 in each Div and Carlisle were 22nd in Div 3 North 1934-35 so had to reapply then; their only time. As you say Plymouth never have had to .

I'd like to see the minutes of the League's 1939 AGM to see who voted for and who against keeping Rovers in the League.

At 7.00pm I heard on the radio the game had resumed.. The ref had taken the players off due top the fighting on the pitch. Were the spectators removed completely though as the official site give the attendance as 0.

FT Kidderminster Harriers 4 - 0 Stockport County Attn: 0

Malbon 51 , Malbon 53 , Dunkley 57 , Devaney 75 ,

Meanwhile, Mansfield had over 6,000 turn up to see them become Champions and get back into the League. Gateshead only had 532 as they played already relegated Ebbsfleet at Middlesbrough.

At 7.00pm I heard on the radio the game had resumed.. The ref had taken the players off due top the fighting on the pitch. Were the spectators removed completely though as the official site give the attendance as 0.

FT Kidderminster Harriers 4 - 0 Stockport County Attn: 0

Malbon 51 , Malbon 53 , Dunkley 57 , Devaney 75 ,

Meanwhile, Mansfield had over 6,000 turn up to see them become Champions and get back into the League. Gateshead only had 532 as they played already relegated Ebbsfleet at Middlesbrough.

Over 6K at Kidderminster today including 1340 from Stockport.

Another factor here is that back in the 80s and early 90s the just-relegated sides were the only full-timers in the Conference so they were relatively stronger than the rest of the league. These days there are only a couple of part time teams in Conference National (look at how Bath City struggled) and about half of South is full time (no knowledge of the North division). It beggars the question about the economics of football in general, not just in the lower league, but it's getting increasingly difficult to get promoted back up the pyramid. The big gaps are Championship to Premier and wherever the split between part-time and full-time happens to be in your part of the pyramid.

I'm sure other clubs describe Bristol City in the same way based on the behaviour of a handful of neanderthals (Bolton for instance). You wouldn't want to be generalised in that way would you?

I've just moved to Stockport County, seems I can't escape relegation.. Was thinking about adopting County as a local club to watch, but..

Nearest league club is Man City but I just can't bring myself to go there don't know why.

See my first point on this thread. Vile fans

Agree, fancy themselves.

I remember them hurling bricks through their glass side screen in their stand when we were there in Div 4.

Also tried to ambush City in a night cup game (I think we won 4-0) but the little loves ,shall we say, came a bit unstuck! (Moral...allways pick your battles) .

no it wasn't shail.....

it was Leroy rosenior!

Correct. Master stroke pulled by osman. Rosenior moved from forward to centre back for one game and dominated. Still for me the best player I have seen for us in the air, and he wasn't that tall. He used to leap like a salmon and hang there.

No matter what people think about osman, this for me, shows that he had a bit about him, even though he never had the players or funds to show what he could do.

. Still for me the best player I have seen for us in the air, and he wasn't that tall. He used to leap like a salmon and hang there.

The most prodigeous leap I've ever seen was Hughie Mcilmoyle on his debut against Hull (1967)

Headed in a corner and literaly jumped head and shoulders above the crossbar!

Everybody was stunned, we heard he was mustard in the air, but that was ridiculous !

Agree, fancy themselves.I remember them hurling bricks through their glass side screen in their stand when we were there in Div 4.Also tried to ambush City in a night cup game (I think we won 4-0) but the little loves ,shall we say, came a bit unstuck! (Moral...allways pick your battles) .

Was involved in one of those ambushes that cup night. Mini bus was done over big time......was a long and cold trip home minus a few windows I can tell you!

The most prodigeous leap I've ever seen was Hughie Mcilmoyle on his debut against Hull (1967)

Headed in a corner and literaly jumped head and shoulders above the crossbar!

Everybody was stunned, we heard he was mustard in the air, but that was ridiculous !

Hughie Mcilmoyle, the forgotten man. Good player, but of course we all compared him to John Atyeo, who was a different class again.

Archived