IGNORED

S'od - Youngsters Won't Be Rushed

NickJ

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20130419-odriscollhullpreview-780321.aspx

Disagree 100% with this. If we cant play the young lads now, when can we?

Still talking about "it's the performances that matter", even though we are relegated.

Err, we are down, half the players won't be here next season - play the ones that will be.

I really don't get this "it's all about the performances" line.

With 20 games to go to avoid relegation, results were what mattered, there was no time to be thinking long term - unless relegation was accepted. What manager comes into a situation with relegation staring at us in the face and comes out with all this long term planning stuff - most clubs change a manager towards the end of a season to avert a short term crisis and lead to safety, not start putting long term strategies in place.

As for the "we've given Bolton and Birmingham massive problems" quote - we played well against Bolton, less so against Birmingham, but massive problems? Dont think so!

Haven't been convinced from day one and nothing yet to change my mind.

Still talking about "it's the performances that matter", even though we are relegated.

Err, we are down, half the players won't be here next season - play the ones that will be.

With 20 games to go to avoid relegation, results were what mattered, there was no time to be thinking long term - unless relegation was accepted. What manager comes into a situation with relegation staring at us in the face and comes out with all this long term planning stuff - most clubs change a manager towards the end of a season to avert a short term crisis and lead to safety, not start putting long term strategies in place.

As for the "we've given Bolton and Birmingham massive problems" quote - we played well against Bolton, less so against Birmingham, but massive problems? Dont think so!

He'll be judged on next season with his team.

O'Driscoll explained: "There has been consistency in selection ever since I walked through the door.

"Why should that change now? If a settled team gives us our best chance to win games and be competitive, there is no point deviating from that just because we have gone down.

"The reasons for sticking with these players have not suddenly gone away.

"There will not be any chopping and changing for the sake of chopping and changing in the remaining games."

Cant say i agree with any of that. We are already down with zero to play for except pride, give the lads a chance to show what they can do.

Didn't they both beat us?

because he was given the job with the board focusing heavily on a future in league one and not so much on beating the drop.the reason he reffered at early doors to "the long term plan"was because that was/is the brief he was given on appointment.it has to be wondered just how hungry the board really were to stay up with the spectre of ffp looming.??..maybe allowing us to waste away and perish was the best way they could see to deal with it.

Can't say I agree with this either. Why stick with a bunch of players who have failed so miserably this year? When exactly is a good time to blood the youngsters? We have absolutely nothing to lose. Give the younger lads a chance and let's have something to get behind and feel positive about.

What is it with this club and not giving youth a chance? Fed up of watching crap journeymen - we're relegated FFS, try something new. :blink:

Another witch hunt taking place.

No, not really. I'm not a fan of the O'Driscoll bashing on here, but I fail to understand why he won't give the young players a chance to make their mark in what is essentially a meaningless game for us. If he wants to build a 'young, vibrant team', surely we ought to get started now we're down and start preparing for next year?

Absolutely incredible. Maybe because they are no where near good enough yet?

What do you do if you put a sunday league footballer and play him in a league 2 game? He gets absolutely battered and his confidence gets shot.....the same theory absolutely relevant to some of youngsters in our squad.

SOD knows these players better than we do, he knows which players are ready and which aren't.....not you.

O and you have to have a sly dig at the end. ******* Numpty.

Id give up Nick, theres those of us that just dont get the rhetoric being spouted and base our opinions on whats going on now and others that are seeing some massive long term gamble plan or maybe its just apathy ?

Guess its the glass half full or half empty scenario :dunno:

What worries me is if were proved wrong and we do great in two season I can eat humble pie knowing we are doing well. If the "stick with the long term planners" are proved wrong theyll be eating humble pie and we could well be in the conference :unsure:

Very good point. I could understand some of the frustration if Bryan and Reid were around, but they're not. I'm sure that Burns will get a bit more gametime at least.

Ried isn't getting good reviews at oldham by all accounts, Bryan yes but are you going to drop cunningham or Anderson?

No, not really. I'm not a fan of the O'Driscoll bashing on here, but I fail to understand why he won't give the young players a chance to make their mark in what is essentially a meaningless game for us. If he wants to build a 'young, vibrant team', surely we ought to get started now we're down and start preparing for next year?

Burns and Ajala will prob play some part tonight.

Id give up Nick, theres those of us that just dont get the rhetoric being spouted and base our opinions on whats going on now and others that are seeing some massive long term gamble plan or maybe its just apathy ?

Guess its the glass half full or half empty scenario :dunno:

What worries me is if were proved wrong and we do great in two season I can eat humble pie knowing we are doing well. If the "stick with the long term planners" are proved wrong theyll be eating humble pie and we could well be in the conference :unsure:

He should of gave up a long time ago.

players that are contracted are in the shop window thats why they are playing,

What youngsters are going to come in and play? Burns maybe and thats it the other decent ones are out on loan

Exactly right. SO'Ds comment "“It’s an opportunity for the senior pros to maintain their level of performances until the end," is the most telling line in that interview.

Don't agree with it , but can see the logic.

Ried isn't getting good reviews at oldham by all accounts, Bryan yes but are you going to drop cunningham or Anderson?

No, but surely if we are looking to progress SOD's team should now be roughly based on the players he wants to/has to keep at the club. Why play players who are not going to be here next season and please dont say the shop window we all know we have a pile of rubbish.

Thats long term planning and hes in a position now to do just that.

No, but surely if we are looking to progress SOD's team should now be roughly based on the players he wants to/has to keep at the club. Why play players who are not going to be here next season and please dont say the shop window we all know we have a pile of rubbish.

Thats long term planning and hes in a position now to do just that.

again your ppl are slagging him off with out suggesting who is going to play,

Please tell us which youngsters should be playing tonight,

My thoughts are:

1) What youngsters? Are you suggesting we throw some of the Development Squad into the mix? That would unquestionably result in a humiliating battering live on Sky. There's only really Ajala and Burns and I'm sure they will both be on the bench. Therefore, he is blooding some young uns.

2) There is an argument to get some of our high earners in the shop window and this is a good opportunity to do it.

3) What other teams that have meaningless games suddenly ditch their first team and play the reserve team/development squad? It just doesn't happen. Blood one or two yes, but not the whole team.

4) He will play players that will be here next season just as he did on Tuesday.

5) Why unsettle Reid and Bryan when they are getting good experience at their loan clubs?

6) "If we cant play the young lads now, when can we?" - Next season in League One, not away to the second best team in the league who are likely to demolish us.

I agree 100% with what So'D is saying.

You don't just turn up and play football.

There has to be a game plan.

The senior players have been training with So'D and are beginning to understand his methods and tactics.

Yes many of them aren't going to be here next season...but what is the point of blooding youngsters if they have been/are at other Clubs? They are getting great experience at these other clubs...why be thrown in at the deep end in front of the TV cameras and have to perform under extra pressure. It's not a case of 'just go out their and express and enjoy yourself'...they would get seriously mullard and confidense would be seriously hit.

So'D has all Summer to work with these players and make them his own.

Personally I think he will find that many of them aren't up to League 1 standard either...and he probably already knows that.

Banging heads against a brick wall is this. Unreal. Little value for us 'long term' if he isnt going to use the opportunity to start actuallty getting long term stuff in place. Snafu at City it is. *sigh*

What's that in English ??

again your ppl are slagging him off with out suggesting who is going to play,

Please tell us which youngsters should be playing tonight,

My ppl ?????

Where have I said play youngsters ?

I said lets play a team of players he intends to keep at the gate as part of his long term plan. What is the sense of sticking with players that wont be here next season at this stage of the season. I thought you wanted to plan for the future what a great chance to start now.

I'd like to see youngsters get a chance - and he does say Burns and Ajala are going to be involved so it's only the ones on loan/in the development squad we're talking about - but I can see the logic.

In June, July and August SOD will get two months to work with these players, integrate them into the team in friendlies and start from scratch with them in place with the players who are going to be here. It'd be a gradual process and help them settle before they get into the team.

Right now there's a team low in confidence - if they came in and struggled they'd have the whole summer to dwell on that and potentially the fans on their backs, which won't do them much good.

I don't particularly agree with SOD what we have to stick with the same group of players - they've not really done enough to earn that though I accept we've a lack of good options - but I do see why it might not be sensible to stick a group of youngsters into a struggling team for an away game at what's probably going to be a Premier League team next season...

My thoughts are:

1) What youngsters? Are you suggesting we throw some of the Development Squad into the mix? That would unquestionably result in a humiliating battering live on Sky. There's only really Ajala and Burns and I'm sure they will both be on the bench. Therefore, he is blooding some young uns.

2) There is an argument to get some of our high earners in the shop window and this is a good opportunity to do it.

3) What other teams that have meaningless games suddenly ditch their first team and play the reserve team/development squad? It just doesn't happen. Blood one or two yes, but not the whole team.

4) He will play players that will be here next season just as he did on Tuesday.

5) Why unsettle Reid and Bryan when they are getting good experience at their loan clubs?

6) "If we cant play the young lads now, when can we?" - Next season in League One, not away to the second best team in the league who are likely to demolish us.

Spot on.

I agree 100% with what So'D is saying.

You don't just turn up and play football.

There has to be a game plan.

The senior players have been training with So'D and are beginning to understand his methods and tactics.

Yes many of them aren't going to be here next season...but what is the point of blooding youngsters if they have been/are at other Clubs? They are getting great experience at these other clubs...why be thrown in at the deep end in front of the TV cameras and have to perform under extra pressure. It's not a case of 'just go out their and express and enjoy yourself'...they would get seriously mullard and confidense would be seriously hit.

So'D has all Summer to work with these players and make them his own.

Personally I think he will find that many of them aren't up to League 1 standard either...and he probably already knows that.

Yes, a voice of reason at last.

You don't just abandon your entire game plan in a competitive fixture just to give the kids a run around. There has to be a structure in place for their integration into the team.

What does it say to the youngsters, fans and rest of the league anyway? "This game doesn't mean anything so we're going to change half the team!" Friendlies this summer will be the time to try things out.

O'Driscoll explained: "There has been consistency in selection ever since I walked through the door.

"Why should that change now? If a settled team gives us our best chance to win games and be

competitive, there is no point deviating from that

just because we have gone down.

"The reasons for sticking with these players

have not suddenly gone away.

"There will not be any chopping and changing

for the sake of chopping and changing in the

remaining games."

Cant say i agree with any of that. We are

already down with zero to play for except pride,

give the lads a chance to show what they can

do.

I'm with you on this. Surely good management is the ability to pinpoint and implement change when required to affect results for the betterment (as DM did to save us from relegation last season).

According to SOD's comments, consistency is what matters most and giving the opposition a good game - whilst he dismisses the outcome due to those results.

I fear this stubbornness could be to the detriment of the club. There is a huge difference between astute vision and arrogant bloody-mindedness.

As another poster has pointed out - it is strange that a manager is brought in late in the season to save a club from relegation, only to focus on and prioritise the long-term. I can understand some fans expressing doubt over SOD when his rhetoric focused on the latter.

Understandably, SL has appointed SOD with the long-term in mind - what concerns me is will SOD have the wherewithal if / when we are in another relegation situation. Or will it be more deflection with talk of the long-term?

My ppl ?????

Where have I said play youngsters ?

I said lets play a team of players he intends to keep at the gate as part of his long term plan. What is the sense of sticking with players that wont be here next season at this stage of the season. I thought you wanted to plan for the future what a great chance to start now.

The even more worrying thought here , is , maybe these players are in his plans ?

I'm with you , I see no point in playing any player who is OOC in the summer and he won't be offering a contract to. , but , what if he is considering some of them !!

I was thinking that the youngsters should be brought in but the more I think about it the more I can see there are two ways to look at it:

1) Bring in the youngsters now, get them some games against tough opposition and thus get them used to having to play hard or

2) Wait for a later time to play them.

The positives of bringing them in now is they play a harder opposition, get experience faster and generally can show the fans what they can do. What I didn't consider is that it could really damage their confidence, they would essentially be put in against hard opposition with a hostile crowd watching on. Imagine having a bad game at the moment with our fans as they are already, they could be booed off of the pitch and find themselves in a situation where they got smashed by the opposition and the fans turned on them.

In many ways I think SOD thinks they need more time to be taught to play his style of football and he's protecting them from our not so understanding fans. I personally think SOD's view is that the best time to introduce them is when they're doing well in training and we're winning games as it means they'll be more likely to get a good experience from playing in the main team and it'll give them chance to get off to a good start. Looking back at how Alex Ferguson introduced new players it shows he only ever introduced them to the team in a winning situation and that it boosts the confidence.

All in all I would personally still play them now and explain to them that no matter what they'll not be judged, they should just go out and enjoy themselves but I'm not a manager with good experience. I think SOD will do what's right and questioning him now is not going to make him change his mind. He has a plan on how he's going about things, let's let him do it and see if it pays off.

Archived