IGNORED

S'od - Youngsters Won't Be Rushed

NickJ

The even more worrying thought here , is , maybe these players are in his plans ?

I'm with you , I see no point in playing any player who is OOC in the summer and he won't be offering a contract to. , but , what if he is considering some of them !!

Yesssssss.................thats my point his comments on this are very strange.

We have begged for regular communications between club and fans. We get both from manager and board and we just bash 'em. Just let me ask you who the football manager is...him or us. Thank you

He is with out question ...................dosent mean we have to agree with his every decision.

Thank you.

Absolutely incredible. Maybe because they are no where near good enough yet?

What do you do if you put a sunday league footballer and play him in a league 2 game? He gets absolutely battered and his confidence gets shot.....the same theory absolutely relevant to some of youngsters in our squad.

SOD knows these players better than we do, he knows which players are ready and which aren't.....not you.

O and you have to have a sly dig at the end. ******* Numpty.

There's always one isn't there - that wants to (a) start a slanging match and (b) throw insults.

There was nothing sly about my fnal comment - I'm not convinced by S'OD, havent been from the start. I think thats quite unequivocal.

I will give the remainder of your reply the dignity of a considered response, you might like to try the same in future.

Yes, I can see the argument that playing youngsters might result in a heavy beating - if they arent good enough. Just my opinion, but I think Bryan was as good as anything I've seen on City's left hand side this season, while Reid has been given two three minute cameos, in both of which he delivered more telling forward passes than I've seen from any of our midfield this season. These are supposedly our best two academy players, if they arent good enough, we may as well shut the thing down.

Other posters have suggested the exiting players have to play to put them in the shop window. Really?! so they have been crap all season and so somehow they are going to miraculously perform now? I dont think so!......

...... I dont think potential clubs are going to base their decisions whether to sign players on 3 meaningless end of season games and ignore whats gone on before!!

For 5 years or so the club has lurched from one crisis to the next because there had been little or no stability and no plan to speak of - both on and off the pitch.

Reading SOD's comments over the last few weeks, it seems that he has quickly got a full grasp and understanding of the mess the club is in and has formulated a plan to address the problems and issues. The type of person he is means that I am pretty certain that having a plan , he will stick to it ( the same as he focusses on performance not results) and will use that plan as the means to rebuild and get us back as a better team, a better and financially well run club. It also sounds to me that this long term plan has been put together as a result of full consultantion with the club's board and senior management, and that tells me that the club is comitted to the same things as SOD, although i can well imagine that SOD has told the club a few home truths along the way.

Given all of this, I am again astounded to see so many City fans starting to question our latest manager. If we can't see that the club can no longer continue the way it has both on anmd off the pitch, then we are deluding ourselves. Short termism has cost the club millions over recent years and our championship status.

In management it is said that if you keep doing what you've always done, then you keep getting what you've always got. If we keep chopping and changing managers, then we will just keep repeating the last four seaon, but in league 1 or worse. Things have to change, and we have to accept that SOD is the man the club has entrusted to oversee those changes and that they will happen over more than one season, so we need to have a bit of patience unless we want to look forward to more local derbies, but in the basement division.

We have begged for regular communications between club and fans. We get both from manager and board and we just bash 'em. Just let me ask you who the football manager is...him or us. Thank you

He's the manager, but all the experts are on here.

The impication of your statement is that any communication has to be accepted without question, which frankly is ridiculous, otherwise there is no point in this forum, in fact no point even having a chat about it in the pubs.

There's always one isn't there - that wants to (a) start a slanging match and (b) throw insults.

There was nothing sly about my fnal comment - I'm not convinced by S'OD, havent been from the start. I think thats quite unequivocal.

I will give the remainder of your reply the dignity of a considered response, you might like to try the same in future.

Yes, I can see the argument that playing youngsters might result in a heavy beating - if they arent good enough. Just my opinion, but I think Bryan was as good as anything I've seen on City's left hand side this season, while Reid has been given two three minute cameos, in both of which he delivered more telling forward passes than I've seen from any of our midfield this season. These are supposedly our best two academy players, if they arent good enough, we may as well shut the thing down.

Other posters have suggested the exiting players have to play to put them in the shop window. Really?! so they have been crap all season and so somehow they are going to miraculously perform now? I dont think so!......

...... I dont think potential clubs are going to base their decisions whether to sign players on 3 meaningless end of season games and ignore whats gone on before!!

Exactly, i fail to see what is to gain by starting 11 players, whom a percentage of will clearly not be here next season. If for one min he is suggesting they will be, my heart bleeds at the thought of watching another season of that.

If he is prepared to put a couple of kids on the bench then why not start them, if they look out of their depth thats probably because they are, but what better way to give them Championship experience, not like they will be getting any more of that any time soon.

Ried isn't getting good reviews at oldham by all accounts, Bryan yes but are you going to drop cunningham or Anderson?

I think that you could make an argument for it given that at least one of the two is unlikely to be here next season.

You could also make the case that they're both better off being involved in relegation battles rather than playing a few dead rubbers with us.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20130419-odriscollhullpreview-780321.aspx

Disagree 100% with this. If we cant play the young lads now, when can we?

Still talking about "it's the performances that matter", even though we are relegated.

Err, we are down, half the players won't be here next season - play the ones that will be.

I really don't get this "it's all about the performances" line.

With 20 games to go to avoid relegation, results were what mattered, there was no time to be thinking long term - unless relegation was accepted. What manager comes into a situation with relegation staring at us in the face and comes out with all this long term planning stuff - most clubs change a manager towards the end of a season to avert a short term crisis and lead to safety, not start putting long term strategies in place.

As for the "we've given Bolton and Birmingham massive problems" quote - we played well against Bolton, less so against Birmingham, but massive problems? Dont think so!

Haven't been convinced from day one and nothing yet to change my mind.

I'm not that happy but tbh, there are different sides to this;

Everyone is in the shop window since we got religated, so

1) Do you want to put younger players in the window that might have their confidence knocked or worse shine and get sold for a nominal fee.

2) If you play Albert or A Another player and he has a blinder then it keeps his value up.

3) To hell with it and lets give the guys who didnt get us religated a chance to shine.

Bryan is at plymouth on loan, Reid is at Oldham on loan how the hell is SoD going to play them tonight?

OKYFC

That made I smile! I'd never heard of SNAFU until about a month ago, must be the 100th time I've heard it / read it since - must be fashionable right now

As for SOD playing the kids, why stick them in with a load of underperforming 'professionals' at the moment? A battering tonight could put them back in their development. Let those who want to be in the shop window be in the shop window. Might like to suggest that playing well, putting in 100% and putting the little round thing into the ******* net may help as well

I honestly couldn't give a flying **** if my Mum was picked for tonight (although she is currently suffering with a hip injury, could be 50/50), I just want this season to be over with. Everyone can piss off, enjoy their luxury summer breaks, get a contract elsewhere and then we start again on 1st July with a young squad who want to be here and fight

Good luck SOD, you're gonna need it

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20130419-odriscollhullpreview-780321.aspx

Disagree 100% with this. If we cant play the young lads now, when can we?

Still talking about "it's the performances that matter", even though we are relegated.

Err, we are down, half the players won't be here next season - play the ones that will be.

I really don't get this "it's all about the performances" line.

With 20 games to go to avoid relegation, results were what mattered, there was no time to be thinking long term - unless relegation was accepted. What manager comes into a situation with relegation staring at us in the face and comes out with all this long term planning stuff - most clubs change a manager towards the end of a season to avert a short term crisis and lead to safety, not start putting long term strategies in place.

As for the "we've given Bolton and Birmingham massive problems" quote - we played well against Bolton, less so against Birmingham, but massive problems? Dont think so!

Haven't been convinced from day one and nothing yet to change my mind.

I knid of agree, the performance line I really do agree with, but it will mean little for the coming season, as half the squad will not be there and we will be rebuilding. The performance will have to be worked pretty much from scratch next season.

I would be fielding the players SO'D sees as being here next season.

For 5 years or so the club has lurched from one crisis to the next because there had been little or no stability and no plan to speak of - both on and off the pitch.

Reading SOD's comments over the last few weeks, it seems that he has quickly got a full grasp and understanding of the mess the club is in and has formulated a plan to address the problems and issues. The type of person he is means that I am pretty certain that having a plan , he will stick to it ( the same as he focusses on performance not results) and will use that plan as the means to rebuild and get us back as a better team, a better and financially well run club. It also sounds to me that this long term plan has been put together as a result of full consultantion with the club's board and senior management, and that tells me that the club is comitted to the same things as SOD, although i can well imagine that SOD has told the club a few home truths along the way.

Given all of this, I am again astounded to see so many City fans starting to question our latest manager. If we can't see that the club can no longer continue the way it has both on anmd off the pitch, then we are deluding ourselves. Short termism has cost the club millions over recent years and our championship status.

In management it is said that if you keep doing what you've always done, then you keep getting what you've always got. If we keep chopping and changing managers, then we will just keep repeating the last four seaon, but in league 1 or worse. Things have to change, and we have to accept that SOD is the man the club has entrusted to oversee those changes and that they will happen over more than one season, so we need to have a bit of patience unless we want to look forward to more local derbies, but in the basement division.

I see only opinions not any one proclaimming to be experts, what do you consider your four paragraphs above are ?

Are you a expert or giving an opinion ?

Not proclaiming to be an expert, but suggesting that we put some trust in the man who is.

The so called experts are those who seem to be pulling to pieces almost any statement SOD makes and question almost any decision as they appear to knmow better . He says that he will stick with the same team tonight and loads of posts question this and say he should be trying youngsters. SOD has given his reasons for not doing so, and after his years of experience as a league manager, my thinking is that he must have a better understanding of the effect it might have on a young player than me or any other forum member.

What a depressing read this thread is!

Full of the same old 'throw the kids in and lets see what they can do' rubbish from a bunch of armchair experts. When will you people get it? There is a right time (and way) to introduce a youngster to first team football, and a wrong time (and way) - and guess what? we've now got a a manager who (notwithstanding that he has, very publicly, committed himself to bringing the youth through quicker than previous managers) doesn't think that now is the right time or environment. Can you people not just respect that?

Good post Downend. It pretty much reiterates what's been said in the latest Bountyhunter (pg. 20) (well worth reading incidentally) about introducing a long term strategy as opposed to haphazard quick fixes of the past. Although I don't think anyone in the club should be untouchable, I do think O'Driscoll is at least owed time to implant his own football philosophy. From what I've read about him I feel happier, than for some time in the past, that we do now at least have a long term game plan. And if SOD says he doesn't think the youngsters are ready yet then I trust him right now.

Worded perfectly and very well put. It's a shame more of our fans cannot look at it this way because this pretty much sums up the situation in three short paragraphs.

I wonder how many on here calling for youth to be given a chance would be the first to slag them off on here were they to get get torn apart by the opposition?

Most, I could imagine if we were beat 5-0 the posts would be a long the lines of "how embarrassing" with comments like "If that's the best our youth has to offer we'll be in League Two in no time" etc

I think at this point it's best to just let SOD do his job and see what he can actually do come the end of next season.

You shouldn't ever just throw a load of youngsters in. The way to do it is exactly how SOD is doing it, putting them on the bench and giving them a run out if required. If they do well then they will get more chances and eventually make the starting 11.

I can't see how throwing in 5 or 6 youngsters straight in will help them when we get battered 7-0.

If JavaScript is not enabled, please click here to continue. <script language="JavaScript">window.location="http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?s=802e6e146689567139221a6bc3dbc35b&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=154154&p=1770611&md5check=d1bd11a0b9ea7146e595c6b0b5a35804&isRte=0";</script>...when he first joined us a Forest fan posting on here stated SODS stubbornness as possibly his worst trait/chink in his armour..

Bryan is at plymouth on loan, Reid is at Oldham on loan how the hell is SoD going to play them tonight?

I thought they could both be recalled on 24 hours notice, apologies if incorrect.

More than that though, from what I've seen of these two, as I said before, I thought they were as good as what was still here, so I dont know why for example Reid is at Oldham and Howard has sat on the bench for the past 15 games. Where is the future in that? Will Howard be here next season? No. Is he considered good enough to help this season? Evidently not.

What a depressing read this thread is!

Full of the same old 'throw the kids in and lets see what they can do' rubbish from a bunch of armchair experts. When will you people get it? There is a right time (and way) to introduce a youngster to first team football, and a wrong time (and way) - and guess what? we've now got a a manager who (notwithstanding that he has, very publicly, committed himself to bringing the youth through quicker than previous managers) doesn't think that now is the right time or environment. Can you people not just respect that?

You shouldn't ever just throw a load of youngsters in. The way to do it is exactly how SOD is doing it, putting them on the bench and giving them a run out if required. If they do well then they will get more chances and eventually make the starting 11.

I can't see how throwing in 5 or 6 youngsters straight in will help them when we get battered 7-0.

unreal. Another new reason to bash SO'D.

I bet if he played them and we got walked over because they arent good enough he will be bashed for playing them.

Its a forum, my opinion and others is we should start playing the players that will be here next season. They may be young, but they are also professional footballers. Sink or swim. No-one is suggesting 6 or 7 youngsters, just the 2 or 3 decent ones we've seen. If our policy is supposedly youth, let see it.

As for S'OD bashing, nobody is doing that. Its called opinions.

Absolutely incredible. Maybe because they are no where near good enough yet?

What do you do if you put a sunday league footballer and play him in a league 2 game? He gets absolutely battered and his confidence gets shot.....the same theory absolutely relevant to some of youngsters in our squad.

SOD knows these players better than we do, he knows which players are ready and which aren't.....not you.

O and you have to have a sly dig at the end. ******* Numpty.

Or maybe he doesn't, looking at the table

I disagree. You learn from adversity and mistakes

Archived