IGNORED

Hull Last Night - Great Respect

MarcusX

To be fair to all clubs the vast majority of fans are decent folk. The reason why some may exclaim otherwise is because you do not often hear the sensible majority but always the mindless few. I suspect we have all had interesting or memorable experiences, good and bad, at away grounds down the years, I know I have. Sitting in the away end with the Millwall was very enjoyable, less so feeling somewhat out of my comfort zone when Elm Park erupted into a riot. But to those that generalise who would think the Reading fans are bad people and the Millwall are good?
If that was the same Elm park riot I was at, are you sure that was Reading fans? The one I remember had hundreds of City in the home end in a pre arranged pitch invasion, I don't think the few Reading fans, they didnt have many in them days, had much to do with it.

I bumped into one of them (literally) at the National Gallery. Both of us were backing away to admire the Turners and a minor collision took place. Amazingly, neither of us dropped to the floor and rolled about as if we were shot ;)

"Looking at a Turner in the National Gallery"? Aizoon, take a look at yourself man, that is the ponciest post ever!

I blame it on you spending too much time with that hedgehog!

If that was the same Elm park riot I was at, are you sure that was Reading fans? The one I remember had hundreds of City in the home end in a pre arranged pitch invasion, I don't think the few Reading fans, they didnt have many in them days, had much to do with it.

City certainly did not cover themselves in any glory on that horrible day and I believe you are right that there was a disproportionate number of city numbskulls involved but to my recollection it was the Reading fans who came over to our end and induced the start of it. City Amoebas then decided to act dragging all of us by weight of numbers onto the pitch.

City certainly did not cover themselves in any glory on that horrible day and I believe you are right that there was a disproportionate number of city numbskulls involved but to my recollection it was the Reading fans who came over to our end and induced the start of it. City Amoebas then decided to act dragging all of us by weight of numbers onto the pitch.
Yeah, the injured WPC near us, TC on the mic pleading for calm and the Sun "scum" headline with a picture of the City end, not a proud day for City fans.

Same here. I remember being on the tube with a load of them after the game and was struck by how reserved they were. No singing or celebrating. I think a lot of them were still trying to take it all in.

I remember getting back to the bus outside Wembley, you'd have thought they'd just been hammered - no emotion whatsoever - very strange!

If that was the same Elm park riot I was at, are you sure that was Reading fans?The one I remember had hundreds of City in the home end in a pre arranged pitch invasion, I don't think the few Reading fans, they didnt have many in them days, had much to do with it.

Wasn't that riot in the 80s? Something like 84ish. My old man was there and he said it was absolute madness.

Wasn't that riot in the 80s? Something like 84ish. My old man was there and he said it was absolute madness.
Yes that's it, for me it almost marked the start of the end of the real bad times. Many felt, like myself enough was enough and that was the final straw. Although we've had many incidents since, nowhere near as regular as them days where something would go off virtually every game.

Yeah, the injured WPC near us, TC on the mic pleading for calm and the Sun "scum" headline with a picture of the City end, not a proud day for City fans.

Was there that day and can remember getting back to Bristol and my then girlfriends Dad saying how it had been all over the news and how we should all be ashamed of ourselves. I couldn't believe all the coverage it got , but I guess when it's all happening around you , you don't appreciate the enormity of it all. Regarding The Sun pictures , a bloke who lived round the corner from me at the time was in one , being dragged across the pich by the old bill.

"Looking at a Turner in the National Gallery"? Aizoon, take a look at yourself man, that is the ponciest post ever!

I blame it on you spending too much time with that hedgehog!

Why not try it, Southport - you might be impressed. His "East End on the Verge of Promotion to the Second Division" is a classic. Probably before your time though ;)

Horace prefers Rembrandt's "The Loyal Hedgehog", but then he would...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9upigpydfhla0q/130326-HORACE______-001534.jpg

It depicts a loyal hedgehog who's fallen asleep waiting for his master to return from the inn.

Was there that day and can remember getting back to Bristol and my then girlfriends Dad saying how it had been all over the news and how we should all be ashamed of ourselves. I couldn't believe all the coverage it got , but I guess when it's all happening around you , you don't appreciate the enormity of it all. Regarding The Sun pictures , a bloke who lived round the corner from me at the time was in one , being dragged across the pich by the old bill.

Oh dear, reminds me of a story a Yorkshire friend of mine told me once.

Her brother was always getting into bother when he was a teen and one Sunday morning he came down to breakfast in the family home to thunderous silence.

"What the ****in' 'ell were ya dooing at the football yesterday, lad?" his furious dad demanded.

"But da', I dint even go!" he replied.

"Explain this then?" shot back the old man, laying down a copy of the late edition Yorkshire Evening Post with the headline "Mayhem At Elland Road" - illustrated by a big picture of this lad rampaging across the terracing waving the back of a broken-off chair.

He's settled down now, I gather. :laughcont:

I recall that away end stand being in a bit of a mess that day. I was in my teens and remember actually having a right go at a few City fans, some a fair bit older than me, shouting at them to calm down. Looking back now i could have had my lights punched out but they seemed to be taken aback by my fury at their totally unacceptable behaviour. Then my bro dragged me away and said lets get the heck out of here so we did.

I recall that away end stand being in a bit of a mess that day. I was in my teens and remember actually having a right go at a few City fans, some a fair bit older than me, shouting at them to calm down. Looking back now i could have had my lights punched out but they seemed to be taken aback by my fury at their totally unacceptable behaviour. Then my bro dragged me away and said lets get the heck out of here so we did.
Yes, I was 19 and with a few younger in our group we were all trying to calm the idiots down, not something we would of normally done but it really felt like enough was enough that day

Just has a closer look at the Reading game.

It was 29 years and two weeks ago, both teams were chasing and achieved promotion, City took what must of been from memory getting on 2000 and the crowd was only 8700.

So only 6000 odd Reading fans.........how times change with a new stadium to play in.

Just has a closer look at the Reading game.

It was 29 years and two weeks ago, both teams were chasing and achieved promotion, City took what must of been from memory getting on 2000 and the crowd was only 8700.

So only 6000 odd Reading fans.........how times change with a new stadium to play in.

When I lived in Reading about four doors down from Elm Park, 6,000 would have been reckoned a pretty good crowd. 1971-4, 4th division.

Everyone else in Reading supported Chelsea :(

No mate I was at the back with the Mrs, the lad who kept singing all the way through was directly behind me. Joined in with him a few times but it was a bit pointless!

Fairplay mate,yes i was singing all the way through. But that's the fact i had,one too many bevvies throughout the day . Massive respect to you for trying to join in. I looked back this morning and thought,great laugh this weekend has been!The fans in the town centre after the game were some of the best i've met following City! Nice meeting you by the way!might be a bit more sober next time i see you !

Fairplay mate,yes i was singing all the way through. But that's the fact i had,one too many bevvies throughout the day . Massive respect to you for trying to join in. I looked back this morning and thought,great laugh this weekend has been!The fans in the town centre after the game were some of the best i've met following City! Nice meeting you by the way!might be a bit more sober next time i see you !

Haha bit drunk? Couldn't tell honest!

Good meeting you too, was a good laugh kept me entertained. Shame it was the mrs first game and there was no atmosphere really, when I planned the trip I assumed we'd be fighting for survival and take a good following!

Haha bit drunk? Couldn't tell honest!

Good meeting you too, was a good laugh kept me entertained. Shame it was the mrs first game and there was no atmosphere really, when I planned the trip I assumed we'd be fighting for survival and take a good following!

That's fair enough! and had been in the spoons since 5,aha!i thought the atmosphere in general was poor but the game was a laugh and the weekend on a whole was one too. Best away day of the season,then again i think every away has been good this year!despite the fact we've lost so many. It's what we live for,enjoyment ! next season we'll bounce back!

Archived