IGNORED

Anyone Not Renewing Their Season Ticket?

Severncider

Just a couple of thoughts for those debating value for money and supply and demand.

It is a sad fact that the Sky TV generation has been brought up on:

• football is a business;
  • spectators are consumers;
  • the product justifies the expense etc. etc.

This, coupled with ever growing dependence on a rich benefactor, seems to have led us to forget what it means to be a supporter rather than a consumer or a customer.

All that we have known for the past four seasons is now about to change radically and suddenly with our exposure to the Salary Cap Management Protocol (SCMP). No longer will our club's ability to bring in better players be dependent on our benefactor's wealth and willingness to spend it. Instead, it will be governed (almost exclusively) by projected business income. To be able to register new players at all we will need to present regularly updated budget projections to the League to show the proposed new player can be accommodated within the SCMP cap. SO'D indicated last night that 88% of the initial cap projection is already committed to currently contracted players suggesting that we will be able to sign new players (up to around £550K in salaries) before we have to sell. This initial cap will have been calculated on the basis of a forecast season ticket revenue which by the start of the season will need to be backed up to a large extent by actual sales.

If actual sales fall significantly below the projection our SCMP cap will be reduced and the scope for strengthening the squad will immediately diminish with it - as I understand it there is no grace period allowed. It is reported that in the season just gone a transfer embargo was placed on Swindon when a Tribunal fixed fees for two young players they had signed at a level higher then they had allowed for in the projections - this alone led to the corrected expenditure projection exceeding 65% of projected turnover.

Whilst the decision of every supporter on whether or not to buy a season ticket and/or whether or not to attend a match is entirely personal and does not necessarily diminish their emotional investment in the club I would urge anyone lucky enough to be able to (and afford to) choose to put how much our beloved club needs their support at least on a par with what they will get in return for their investment when making the decision. Now more than ever the more the club can raise in revenue the more competitive we are likely to be and the quicker we might see some positive outcomes (although we must of course remember to focus more on performance than outcome!).

In pure economic terms, supply has stayed the same but demand has reduced. In any normal market, this means that the price will drop. If the supplier does not drop the price, the demand will fall significantly.

I'm not sure there was really too much demand for this season's product

Some bought season tickets in forlorn hope of improvement - many more bough season tickets because supporting Bristol City remains a way of life - I'm not sure how long Bristol City can rely on this either but I cannot honestly think of any alternative plan.

We have had five seasons of massive shareholder subsidy (£7M, £12M, £12M, £14M and for 2012-13 probably close to £10M) and yet the product has continued to be inadequate - in "any normal market" the supplier would no longer exist. In each of these seasons SL has put in between 3x and 5x as much as all the other supporters put together. Even if SL wanted to continue in this way he is now prevented from doing so by the SCMP so where is the scope for substantial price reductions?

If you are right (and I fully accept that you might be) that a substantial reduction is necessary to stimulate any real demand then frankly Bristol City doomed. For me it is time for supporters to show one way or another how much we want Bristol City to survive and/or succeed (moderately or otherwise.

SO'D says we cannot improve over the summer, or words to that effect!!!

I am guessing he will never get a job as a salesman.

So there you go guy and gals. You are going to buy new seasons tickets to see the same old shit, with no improvement, but in a lower league.

Good luck to you all.

Absolutely not. To say the club is 'owned' by the fans is rubbish - we're customers same as any other business and the Club is in the entertainment and results business - the Board and the Club, collectively, have failed, miserably, to deliver on both counts.

Steve Lansdown is clearly a genuine sports fan and ultra-proud of the City of Bristol - good for him, and he must be gutted that others have failed to deliver on his financial support, but he, also, will be taking the accountability for management appointments and direction.

Why would I want to continue paying to watch 23 home games when I have no belief at all that anything will start any different next season. They've blown it - collectively, and now need to feel some pain.

When they deserve to get my custom back, I'll pay for my seat again - simple.

Well I won't be. My father died yesterday. And he said a week ago, don't waste a single penny of your hard earned money while those clowns are still in charge.

I was contemplating going back next season. But I can't do it now. So it looks like a mighty long exile from AG for me.

So I will be relying on quality match reports from you guys.

Sorry to hear that TRL. RIP to your pa.

I'll be renewing as ever so I'll be posting some of those match reports.

I heard it announced a couple of times today that the club were getting together with the Fans Parliament to decide the ticket prices for next season, and would reveal them in a week or 2. I can't remember fans representatives being consulted before, surely this has to be a positive thing. No doubt they will be urged to accept as high a price as possible citing fair play regulations, finances etc, but I hope the fans can remind the club of our financial restrictions too along with the danger of alienating the fan base further.

Over to you Bristol City, tempt me.

• Admin

I doubt I will renew and that after many years of having a season tickect. I work shifts and used to take AL days, or cajole colleagues into swapping shifts (and I usually ended up with the shitty end of the stick after a swap) so I could go to games. The season I didn't and I am glad I didn't waste AL days on watching the poor quality on show.

I'll POTD as I fancy it next year and if the downward spiral continues, who knows if I'll manage to keep up an interest. I think football has sold its soul piece by piece.

I think the club will have to be very, very aware of POTD prices. Surely after being in the Championship where all but a few should have been attractive games, league one is just the opposite. Cardiff or Carlisle, Forest or Notts County, Crystal Palace or Leyton Orient for example. How many times did we even sell out this season?

I can't see people turning up for POTD unless prices are very attractive, and what if we fail again to get a good start to the season?Surely the club has to 'pack the gate', sell as many ST's as possible as cheap as possible.

Well I won't be. My father died yesterday. And he said a week ago, don't waste a single penny of your hard earned money while those clowns are still in charge.

I was contemplating going back next season. But I can't do it now. So it looks like a mighty long exile from AG for me.

Sorry to hear that, mate.

The traditional thing to say here is that it puts football in perspective - but it doesn't, does it? Not if you both cared.

I think the club will have to be very, very aware of POTD prices. Surely after being in the Championship where all but a few should have been attractive games, league one is just the opposite. Cardiff or Carlisle, Forest or Notts County, Crystal Palace or Leyton Orient for example. How many times did we even sell out this season?

I can't see people turning up for POTD unless prices are very attractive, and what if we fail again to get a good start to the season?Surely the club has to 'pack the gate', sell as many ST's as possible as cheap as possible.

Right on the ball, but can you honestly see the club management taking a blind bit of notice?

On my death bed I certainly will look forward and ask for the best for the club. Not a single penny (öre) til you get the ship in the right direction.

Bet that's what your father told you.

Ask for a change.

Swede - i think we have found your flag 666667483_o.jpg

Sorry to hear that, mate.

The traditional thing to say here is that it puts football in perspective - but it doesn't, does it? Not if you both cared.

I hate that line, puts thing into perspective. It doesn't as the very next day the same people are talking the same old bollox.

Quite rightly the death of my dad, and petty bickering on a forum have no connection. Yes it is shite for me, but no one else on this forum.. unless they knew him. So ce la vie as far as I am concerned.

but thanks for the message, and to others who have passed their condolences, it is much appreciated.

One thing I do know, he would not have been happy with that spineless performance today. I think I will follow his advice, sometimes it wasn't always the best, sometimes it was great, but on city, I think he has it spot on, stop going, enjoy your life away from a club that tries to sponge every last penny out of you.

So it is a cheers dad, thanks for the advice, I raise a glass of vino to you. I am just disappointed the club let you down in your final ever season supporting them. I expect my mum will get a phone call from them trying to get him to sign up to something soon!

Sorry to read of your loss. My mother and father died years ago and they had the same kind of sentiments as your father and they couldn't understand my support for City - there again, neither of them were Bristolian.

Sorry to read of your loss. My mother and father died years ago and they had the same kind of sentiments as your father and they couldn't understand my support for City - there again, neither of them were Bristolian.

Oh my dad was a staunch city fan, even though he was a meader. H just despised the way football was going. He stopped going about 4 years ago. My mum on the other hand... well doesn't like football, but would support palarse if she did!

Oh my dad was a staunch city fan, even though he was a meader. H just despised the way football was going. He stopped going about 4 years ago. My mum on the other hand... well doesn't like football, but would support palarse if she did!

Yes, I see what he meant. I've been an occasional for the last few years. Given the insane potd prices, it's going to be even less frequent in years to come.

The way football is going sickens me. Maybe it's different in non-league, but I can't see myself supporting anyone but City. Ho hum, there's always cricket. Except that the real game has been shunted to spring and autumn and the summer is reserved for hit-and-giggle :(

And don't get me started on gastropubs...

Yes, I see what he meant. I've been an occasional for the last few years. Given the insane potd prices, it's going to be even less frequent in years to come.

The way football is going sickens me. Maybe it's different in non-league, but I can't see myself supporting anyone but City. Ho hum, there's always cricket. Except that the real game has been shunted to spring and autumn and the summer is reserved for hit-and-giggle :(

And don't get me started on gastropubs...

:)

My dad loved watching Glos, but even stopped going there. But at least he witnessed the great glos one day team in the 90's 2000's That said my dad always preferred the longer version of the game, and didn't take to twenty/20

:) spit and sawdust place for you Aizoon? warm ale?

:)

My dad loved watching Glos, but even stopped going there. But at least he witnessed the great glos one day team in the 90's 2000's That said my dad always preferred the longer version of the game, and didn't take to twenty/20

:) spit and sawdust place for you Aizoon? warm ale?

Warm cider from the wood, TRL :)

Its funny this forum you kind off like people and dont know them and then they divulge stuff that makes you like them more.

Nowt wrong with meaders ;)

God bless you TRL.

Very sorry for your loss TRL. Hope some of the gutless performers in our team read your post above about how the team let your Dad down in his final season supporting City - and hang their heads in shame. Looking forward to most of this lot going and having a team I can like again. Because it's been a while now ...

Its funny this forum you kind off like people and dont know them and then they divulge stuff that makes you like them more.

Nowt wrong with meaders ;)

God bless you TRL.

:) i was born in Southmead, and lived in horfield until we moved to Thornbury. So I'm a weird mix of mead and croydon!

Very sorry for your loss TRL. Hope some of the gutless performers in our team read your post above about how the team let your Dad down in his final season supporting City - and hang their heads in shame. Looking forward to most of this lot going and having a team I can like again. Because it's been a while now ...

Thanks PO, lets hope they do. too few games where professional pride was shown. I can forgive lack of talent, but the head dropping I cannot abide.

:) i was born in Southmead, and lived in horfield until we moved to Thornbury. So I'm a weird mix of mead and croydon!

I think most people were (or BRI/bucket in the bog :laugh: ) you have to live the mead to be a meader, greenway boy and all that ;)

Mix it all you like your not weird your a good chap and talk sense chin up, chest out, top man :thumbsup:

So there you go guy and gals. You are going to buy new seasons tickets to see the same old shit, with no improvement, but in a lower league.

Good luck to you all.

I was and still am a City fan I suppose, but forgetting the pc stuff that is ruining the game, I cannot see a time anytime soon that I will be going to a game even, let alone buying a ST.

The club is not doing enough to keep many fans interest and our faceless board needs to wake the hell up if they want to keep taking our money.I have watched in all 4 leagues for many years but it seems the players are now not even trying, professionals my butt.

Our latest in a long run of short term expensive managers is supposed to be here for the "long term" yet is on a 1yr "rolling" contract.

We need urgently some CITY players who want to play for the shirt not the for the pay cheque, otherwise we will continue the fall rather than compete in the league below in which all the other teams in it will want to win it more than us.

I really do fear same sh1t different season next time. :(

Good luck to you all.

Where does he say that?

I've heard him say that the culture/dna of the club will change and the style of play will become possession based, but I've not heard what you state.

Archived