IGNORED

Summer Signing Rumours

potbelly

£500K for someone who has now been out with a mystery virus since November?

With all the pronouncements about FFP since relegation what do you think?

When you put it like that , considering who's doing the buying........................nailed on.

If Danny Shittu is crap then Lewin Nyatanga belongs on the Downs, Shittu is a machine.

And everything that's wrong with football.

I'd love to see a few centre halfs with brain cells who are comfortable on the ball.

Danny Shittu won everything in the air at AG this season, but at least 75% of those headers went straight out of play... Counter productive player.

I want to see footballers, not machines.

I'd love to see a few centre halfs with brain cells who are comfortable on the ball.

Danny Shittu won everything in the air at AG this season, but at least 75% of those headers went straight out of play... Counter productive player.

All about balance, you need at least one ball winner in the team otherwise, well, you won't win the ball(!). If someone is a ball winner and can play with the ball at their feet then frankly they are too good for Bristol City and would be in the Prem

All about balance, you need at least one ball winner in the team otherwise, well, you won't win the ball(!). If someone is a ball winner and can play with the ball at their feet then frankly they are too good for Bristol City and would be in the Prem

You mean Championship?

• Admin

True, but that is what we are missing.

Someone in the Taylor / McComber mold that is going to win the ball everytime

True, but that is what we are missing.

Someone in the Taylor / McComber mold that is going to win the ball everytime

I'd rather have a defender with brains who knows when to challenge for a ball and when to stand off and pick up the pieces.

Mascherano is now one of the best centre backs in world football, he hasn't won a header in his life.

I just want to see a bit more elegance and skill over physicality... :/

I'd rather have a defender with brains who knows when to challenge for a ball and when to stand off and pick up the pieces.

Mascherano is now one of the best centre backs in world football, he hasn't won a header in his life.

I would argue that if a defender could do all of that, he wouldn't be playing in League One

But I thought you liked Louis Carey ??

Mascherano, fortunately for him plays in a league where the majority of the time the ball is played on the deck. Where are Barcelona more susceptible? Defending crosses and set peices, something he's rubbish at. To be the best in the world you need to be quality at all aspects of defending.

I agree it would be nice to find a defender who doesn't panic on the ball though, someone who is composed in possession and doesn't shit themselves the minute they have it with aimless punts up field. Maybe SOD can pick up a few up and coming gems in the summer?

But I thought you liked Louis Carey ??

I do, that's one of his only faults though. He is very composed on the ball and will bring the ball out of defence more than he'll wack it long into a channel.

I know we won't get perfect players, but part of me would rather concede occasionally through trying to play what I would consider the 'right way' than have a defence who play percentages all the time.

Danny Shittu epitomises the percentage game for me, and it's ugly and counter productive to our attacking play. I'm a firm believer in everyone in the team being able to defend (hence my lack of time for Pitman when he was here) and likewise I feel defenders should be able to contribute to our attacking play by retaining possession more often than not.

Like I say, I don't expect perfect players at all. I would be more willing to forgive mistakes if the intention was sound than say this season where not only has Faultaine been bad at defending but also cost us a lot with his aimless punts and clearances.

That's just how I want to watch football though, I understand why it's like this I'm England. It would take an awful lot for the game to change so that percentage football wasn't slightly more effective over here than the pretty stuff. A complete culture change doesn't happen over night but I'm hoping under SOD we can become one of the flag bearers like Swansea, Donny, Arsenal, crewe, Liverpool and Wigan.

Archived