IGNORED

Do The Players Care?

Forza Revolution

To be fair half of our players did look gutted when the FT whistle went against Birmingham, and there's some that do care about the fans and the football club, Stead and Heaton certainly do. I think it is only a few that don't care and the label some get from City fans is very unfair. Those who do not care are easy to identify and I'm sure S'OD will be wary of those few. Kilkenny as a prime example. A clear out is needed on the basis of ability, and I'll be happy to see the backs of the few players who are only here for the wages. But as sad as it is, football is all about money these days and i'm sure plenty of clubs are exactly the same as us in terms of uncommitted players. As for Boswinga's reaction, that is truly shocking, don't see who will want to pick him up in the summer as he is clearly never committed to any cause he plays for.

To be fair half of our players did look gutted when the FT whistle went against Birmingham, and there's some that do care about the fans and the football club, Stead and Heaton certainly do. I think it is only a few that don't care and the label some get from City fans is very unfair. Those who do not care are easy to identify and I'm sure S'OD will be wary of those few. Kilkenny as a prime example. A clear out is needed on the basis of ability, and I'll be happy to see the backs of the few players who are only here for the wages. But as sad as it is, football is all about money these days and i'm sure plenty of clubs are exactly the same as us in terms of uncommitted players. As for Boswinga's reaction, that is truly shocking, don't see who will want to pick him up in the summer as he is clearly never committed to any cause he plays for.

Thanks for a decent answer

The reason Bosingwa looked less than devastated was probably as he has a release clause for relegation in his contract. That way someone will pick him up on his £90k a week and also be ripped off by one of the main problems with English football - distinctly average players earning staggering amounts of cash for little effort, lack of passion and desire.

Agree with the early poster - there are clearly some players who care (Stead, Heaton, Gerks etc)

Was standing clapping the lads at the end of the game yesterday and someone from the Atyeo was giving them both barrels - 'your not fit to wear the shirt' and 'show some pride' etc - didn't get a reaction, which I suppose as true pro's they did well not to react but it might have been good to hear from them and them tell us how they are feeling.

Agree with the early poster - there are clearly some players who care (Stead, Heaton, Gerks etc)

Was standing clapping the lads at the end of the game yesterday and someone from the Atyeo was giving them both barrels - 'your not fit to wear the shirt' and 'show some pride' etc - didn't get a reaction, which I suppose as true pro's they did well not to react but it might have been good to hear from them and them tell us how they are feeling.

Two things here...

firstly....some players may well care, but some might care and have contributed to the ****** mess we're in, and others havent been consistent enough, which has also contributed to the mess we're in...the whole damn team has to man up and face the fact they ALL didnt do enough..

secondly, and directly connected, the fans are fully entitled to be pissed off after Saturday, cos 'Uddersfield were the only side with a worse GD than us, till they played us. You would like to think we could put a good showing on at home in our last home game in the championship, probably for some time..especially with a team with as bad a GD as us, but nooooooo...

Lets hope the team whoever is in it, plays with a **** sight more pride next season...after all we're gonna be installed as one of the favorites to go up (God knows why..) and will be one of the biggest teams in the division to boot....so no pressure on them whatsoever....

Mind you if I knew I was two days (2 games) from being released from job as my company was so poor not sure I would worry about putting too much effort in either

This is a good point. The club has been incredibly vocal about its financial mess - the players and everyone associated hear it.

The players have been working for a company in constant disarray for a number of years now. If you think of it as a company not a football club it feels different:

New premises, promised, not delivered.

Staff across many departments made redundant

Regular changes at board level

Regular changes of management

Losses year on year

Promises of wage cuts

Promises of downsizing staff numbers

Different people react in different ways to these situations but BCFC must have been a depressing place to work in the last 3+ years. Can you blame any employee for thinking that the grass might be greener elsewhere?

This is a good point. The club has been incredibly vocal about its financial mess - the players and everyone associated hear it.

The players have been working for a company in constant disarray for a number of years now. If you think of it as a company not a football club it feels different:

New premises, promised, not delivered.

Staff across many departments made redundant

Regular changes at board level

Regular changes of management

Losses year on year

Promises of wage cuts

Promises of downsizing staff numbers

Different people react in different ways to these situations but BCFC must have been a depressing place to work in the last 3+ years. Can you blame any employee for thinking that the grass might be greener elsewhere?

Some really good points there, but the main problem is, in this 'company' the main reason for it being in such a bad state is to do with most of the top paid employees.

I walked out after the first goal on Saturday as i was just so angry.

It's not that i expect them to care about the club, it would be nice, but i'm not naieve. What angers me is when it appears they lack even a modicom of professional pride. For the last few weeks, it has appeared to me that it's not that they don't 'care', but that they just aren't trying.

Really, really sad to witness and as i say, it made me so angry Saturday because if i would have been in the ground when the second went in i would have done something out of passion, which i would now be regretting.

It's not that i expect them to care about the club, it would be nice, but i'm not naieve. What angers me is when it appears they lack even a modicom of professional pride. For the last few weeks, it has appeared to me that it's not that they don't 'care', but that they just aren't trying.

Really, really sad to witness and as i say, it made me so angry Saturday because if i would have been in the ground when the second went in i would have done something out of passion, which i would now be regretting.

You walked out afer 2 minutes? That must be some kind of record!!

You beat me by 65 minutes anyway!!

Fair shout, they have been given an easy ride this season, as shown when 200-300 of our fans decided to stay behind after B'ham and clap them off, i've always admired our fans because we demand more, but there are still a fair amount who would still be applauding their efforts if we were relegated to League 2 this time next year.

You walked out afer 2 minutes? That must be some kind of record!!

You beat me by 65 minutes anyway!!

I felt bad about it later, but at the time i was just so angry with the club, the team everything. I didn't want to just stay and hurl abuse (or worse) so i felt all i could do was walk out.

I heard about Bosingwa's reaction on the radio last night......was it THAT bad? QPR have been cattle trucked for some time, he was heavily slated by Redknapp when he first arrived, and as Phantom said he's going to be out of a job in two days time. Do you expect him to give some kind of ****? From what I heard on the radio and some of the reactions on here I was expecting him to be laughing whilst giving the fans the old Gareth Hunt sign.....he smiled and high fived someone ffs - was it a friend? I get it's not the reaction you want to see, but did you not smile at the missus / kids after we were relegated?

Anyway, I don't care whether he cares about QPR or not to be honest, as for our lot......I doubt they care that much in the big scheme of things, some will care more than others, some will be settled with their families in the area and won't want the hassle of moving etc etc. But it's just a job to them, just an incredibly well paid, badly done job

I felt bad about it later, but at the time i was just so angry with the club, the team everything. I didn't want to just stay and hurl abuse (or worse) so i felt all i could do was walk out.

Don't feel bad about it , hopefully someone from the club reads this and begins to realise how we all feel. I'd already made my mind up to leave early on Saturday , as I had no intention of clapping them off , and was not going to expend more energy than they do by berating them. The 3rd goal going in seemed like the ideal time to make my retreat and lick my wounds for the summer.

About 10 yrs ago i was a manager in quite a large company, with over 500 employee's. We were all made redundant, and i remember the last months, weeks and then day's. My job was almost impossible, trying to motivate employee's to put in a shift. Knowing full well that they would soon be without a job. Some employee's in credit to them continued to put in a shift, but most did as little as they could get away with. I'm not going to make myself popular here, but perhaps the players feel they themselves have been let down by management, coaches, other players etc Most people follow the money these day's, i'm not sure that having pride in ones work is quite the same these day's. We have cowboy builders, plumber etc..Bad nurses, hospitals (mid Staffs etc) Bankers bonus'es, Expenses fiddling mp's. We live in a culture of pure greed, that poison's the very fabric of the society we live in. Football itself is full of diving, biting, play acting, greedy cheat's. Perhaps footballers are just a sad reflection of all of us!

Don't feel bad about it , hopefully someone from the club reads this and begins to realise how we all feel. I'd already made my mind up to leave early on Saturday , as I had no intention of clapping them off , and was not going to expend more energy than they do by berating them. The 3rd goal going in seemed like the ideal time to make my retreat and lick my wounds for the summer.

I must admit, the fans (we) have been very good over the last 5 or 6 home games, without venting too much anger, the occasional boo but thats been about that.

Saturday all 4 sides of the ground had a good old fashioned blast of " what a load of rubbish " which was in any case justified, not heard whilst we still had hope and whilst del boy was here but both sling shots came out at half time.

in answer to the OP yes some players do care, i cant imagine for one minute any player goes out with the intention of losing a game, they are all competitive, its just how they react at the end of a game that gives it away.

without naming names i guess there are 8 or 9 players who really do get upset and go through that same painfull feeling of defeat we have to endure, most of the players have a cash epidural to ease there pain.

Was listening to some German guy on the radio on the way back from work.

Stuck in the claw a bit really, but he was saying the problem in the English top league is to many of the clubs are run really by the owners as their own toys to much. He was talking clearly about the top PL teams, but saying their was always a clamour for the rich owner to put in more. The over payment at the top affects all our leagues, in the clamour for silly money.

He compared this to Germany, were he felt many more of the clubs were much more democratic, in that they were run by the members - pretty much the fans. Much less of an incentive to run up huge debts, pay silly money etc,. Salaries much more under control.

Was listening to some German guy on the radio on the way back from work.

Stuck in the claw a bit really, but he was saying the problem in the English top league is to many of the clubs are run really by the owners as their own toys to much. He was talking clearly about the top PL teams, but saying their was always a clamour for the rich owner to put in more. The over payment at the top affects all our leagues, in the clamour for silly money.

He compared this to Germany, were he felt many more of the clubs were much more democratic, in that they were run by the members - pretty much the fans. Much less of an incentive to run up huge debts, pay silly money etc,. Salaries much more under control.

its something to do with the 50+ ownership, each club has a minimal shareholder base of 50+ people, makes soo much sense and i do think English football needs to have a look instead of doing an ostrich

About 10 yrs ago i was a manager in quite a large company, with over 500 employee's. We were all made redundant, and i remember the last months, weeks and then day's. My job was almost impossible, trying to motivate employee's to put in a shift. Knowing full well that they would soon be without a job. Some employee's in credit to them continued to put in a shift, but most did as little as they could get away with. I'm not going to make myself popular here, but perhaps the players feel they themselves have been let down by management, coaches, other players etc Most people follow the money these day's, i'm not sure that having pride in ones work is quite the same these day's. We have cowboy builders, plumber etc..Bad nurses, hospitals (mid Staffs etc) Bankers bonus'es, Expenses fiddling mp's. We live in a culture of pure greed, that poison's the very fabric of the society we live in. Football itself is full of diving, biting, play acting, greedy cheat's. Perhaps footballers are just a sad reflection of all of us!

1) I would wager that your employees were not on X thousand pounds per week, and were in all likelihood wondering how to continue to pay for the roof over their head and the food on the table.

2) I would also wager that although your customers may very well have paid a percentage of their wages, those customers would not have paid to sit and witness your employees (their representatives) not giving a flying **** and generally doing the bare minimum half (no, quarter) arsed job.

Have a Look at boswingas reaction at the full time whistle meaning relegation http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22237302

I wonder if our players are the same?

If I was a QPR fan then I would be far more bothered by the reaction from the manager of my club on the final whistle, than that of some no mark player that is unlikely to be at the club come next season.

I quite dislike QPR personally, but even I am annoyed by the smile and laugh spead across Redknapps saggy face, upon confirmation of their relegation!

Problem is that caring, on its own, is not enough. As fans, we might think that a minimum requirement from every player is that they expend every ounce of energy they have during a match - and we are entitled to expect that. Have the players bust a gut to get back and make a challenge, or get forward into our opponents box, every time they could this season - I don't think they have. So, they have failed us in that respect. Only the players know whether this failure is down to their inner determination, or that they just don't have the physical energy / capacity levels to go at full tilt for 90 mins. Again, wanting to be able to do something, and being physically capable of doing it are not the same thing. This is a major area of assessment for SOD this summer IMO. Some players, like Davies for example, have limited energy capacity, but they must at least give whatever they do have, and it is for the manager to decide whether this, plus their ability is sufficient to warrant a place in the team.

Beyond basic effort, it comes down to individual and collective ability. A player can have very high energy levels but lack the technical ability to impact the game decisively. A player can care with a passion about the results, but not be able to affect them significantly. More than this, the whole team have to be playing at a decent level, collectively, for performances and results to be consistently high. Any player on top of their game still needs the players around them to perform at a similar level, or they will soon get demoralised and dragged down to a lower level of performance - no matter how much they care.

I don't think lack of caring has been our main problem this season - a lack of confidence in their own individual ability (in some cases wholly justified), and a lack of collective belief in the ability of their teamates, has far outweighed the care issue.

Archived